CD Projekt RED's CEO speaks about DRM

+
Coelocanth said:
Coelocanth said:
The only thing that SecuRom will do in Witcher 2 is put the release date on May 17th and that's it but people here act like there is some kind of evil hidden. It's good to listen to what is being said.They didn't put things like " be online to play all the time" or "connect to our servers every 20 minutes ", they simply put a blockade that will stop on May 17th and the problem is gone.
Then why aren't they announcing they'll get rid of it as soon as May 17 arrives?And it's not as simple as you're portraying it. After may 17, every time you install the game, you'll have to authenticate it with their servers. You can't have it on more than 5 machines at a time (not that I'll be affected by that), which means you'll have to be connected every time you uninstall as well (otherwise how are they going to track how many machines you actually have authorized). So no, it's not like "connect to our servers every 20 minutes". It's "connect every time you install and every time you uninstall".I'm not hating on CDP. You guys are still missing the point. I'm calling them to task for not putting their money where their mouth is (or, if you prefer, not putting their actions where their convictions lie). If they were truly as opposed to DRM as they say, then they should have stood up and told the publishers to shove it with this kind of DRM. At worst, a disc check (you know, like Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age:Origins had - both AAA titles). If they truly believed what they've been espousing all this time, then if the publishers balked, they should have walked and said "Alright, then GOG is going to be the only place you can buy the game". At the very least, this DRM should be patched out on May 18, since - in CDProjekt's own words - it's only there to stop pirates from playing the game before legitimate customers.I'll reiterate: I'm buying the game through GOG. But it's not the version I really want. That particular version is saddled with this idiotic DRM, which I refuse to pay for. So they get $45 of my money as opposed to $130 (minus whatever cut the publisher would take. Still, I'm sure they'd make more from the CE than they will from me buying the GOG version). Win for me. Not as much for them.
With publisher cut and retailer cut and the increased costs of making the CE, I highly doubt they make more from it than they do from the GOG version. In fact, they stated that buying from GOG is the best way to support the developers.As for the topic, I understand the complaints. I'm a full supporter of digital media in all its forms, personally, which puts me on the good side in this scenario, but I would be quite annoyed if I were aiming to buy retail and this DRM came up after CDP said they wanted to make it the least intrusive DRM possible.

I, for one, intend to vote with my wallet. And so my preorders are now cancelled. I don't care about how good the game is if it comes with any kind of DRM, and as I don't really like digital editions either The Witcher 2 will be left on the store's shelf. I know, all my friends cancelled their preorders as well so I don't really know how CDR thinks this was a good decision, especially after their talks about how they hate drm and still pull this crap.

Syvere said:
I, for one, intend to vote with my wallet. And so my preorders are now cancelled. I don't care about how good the game is if it comes with any kind of DRM, and as I don't really like digital editions either The Witcher 2 will be left on the store's shelf.
Nearly every game comes with DRM. Gonna give up gaming, then?

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I, for one, intend to vote with my wallet. And so my preorders are now cancelled. I don't care about how good the game is if it comes with any kind of DRM, and as I don't really like digital editions either The Witcher 2 will be left on the store's shelf.
No, I just play Japanese games that aren't even released on PC and wait for DRM-free version to be released (if it ever comes). And yes, if need be I can just give up gaming. It's not the end of the world. At any rate CDPR won't be getting my money.I don't think you really get why this announcement is unacceptable. CDPR has stated on multiple occasion that they have zero tolerance against DRM and STILL they use the most draconian DRM scheme available. I mean ONLINE ACTIVATIONS? Really? I would have been ok with keeping the disc in the drive as that would work even after ten or more years, but you can bet your ass that the activation servers won't be around then. And what if you just don't have an internet connection? When buying retail a game playing it SHOULD NOT be dependent on other services (internet connection in this case). It's simply unacceptable.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Nearly every company speaks how bad drm is, and fetch you one? Gonna supporting this policy then?

Demut said:
Wohohoho, I had a bad feeling about this ever since they told us that they were still negotiating the DRM aspect — only three months away from the release! Now lo and behold, they dropped the SR-bomb. Mxxxxxxxxxx, this is unbelievable.Well, that’s it for me folks, no retail TW2 for this fella. And because I despise digital copies of a game (Where’s the difference between that and a pirated version?) — otherwise I’d naturally go with GOG — that means no TW2 for me at all. Have fun, guys, I might show up again in this board when a DRM-free TW2 is released or TW3 comes about. Hopefully then they won’t have to suck publisher cxxxx anymore.And to all those who, like Corylea, reply with “Give CDP a break, the publisher forced them to implement DRM” and absolve them of any responsibility whatsoever I say this: breaking your principles and justifying this with necessity is doomed to fail (inb4 Godwin’s law hyperbole). Learn2argue. In a case like this consequentialist reasoning cannot but fall short.Oh and should a moderator feel the need to censor or even remove this post (notably because the mention of the words “mxxxxxxx” and “cxxxxx”) then get a life, you whiteknight. We are adults and are required by the registration form to confirm that we are above 18 years old. Stop being such prudes.
The difference being that you actually paid for the content and supporting a great developer.
Demut said:
Demut said:
Demut said:
Nearly every company speaks how bad drm is, and fetch you one? Gonna supporting this policy then?
You are not making any sense.

Syvere said:
No, I just play Japanese games that aren't even released on PC and wait for DRM-free version to be released (if it ever comes). And yes, if need I just give up gaming. It's not the end of the world. At any rate CDR won't be getting my money.
And what is wrong with buying the game from GOG DRM free?If you don't have an internet connection i can understand but if you do have a connection why not support GOG with DRM free so maybe in future other game companies may do the same.

fchopin said:
fchopin said:
No, I just play Japanese games that aren't even released on PC and wait for DRM-free version to be released (if it ever comes). And yes, if need I just give up gaming. It's not the end of the world. At any rate CDR won't be getting my money.
And what is wrong with buying the game from GOG DRM free?If you don't have an internet connection i can understand but if you do have a connection why not support GOG with DRM free so maybe in future other game companies may do the same.
The fact that I hate digital versions (I want to have a boxed copy). Once the day comes that games are released only in digital versions is the day that I finally quit gaming for good.

Can someone please link me a post where they said there wasn't going to be any DRM in TW2? In the initial post several people (most that are related directly with GOG.com) are saying why they think DRM doesn't work and why they don't have it on GOG.com. Well, I don't feel betrayed by CDPR. GOG.com still is releasing TW2 DRM free, which is more than any other company will offer you.

Syvere said:
Syvere said:
Syvere said:
The fact that I hate digital versions (I want to have a boxed copy). Once the day comes that games are released only in digital versions is the day that I finally quit gaming for good.
You do know that you cant have everything in life, sometimes you just have to try for the best deal around.But it's up to you what you are willing to accept.

freakie1one said:
Can someone please link me a post where they said there wasn't going to be any DRM in TW2? In the initial post several people (most that are related directly with GOG.com) are saying why they think DRM doesn't work and why they don't have it on GOG.com. Well, I don't feel betrayed by CDPR. GOG.com still is releasing TW2 DRM free, which is more than any other company will offer you.
Sorry, but talking without support of action, is just pointless. Most sales are generated by retail sell, they put drm there. They made digital distribution drm free because for most of pirates it is main source for games. By doing so they maybe will convert few of them. And where is that part about caring about customers first?There is no good white knight with shiny armour here, there are just numbers - and I failed badly believing otherwise.

fchopin said:
You do know that you cant have everything in life, sometimes you just have to try for the best deal around.But it's up to you what you are willing to accept.
Indeed, and in this case the same holds true for CDPR. They can't have my money.

freakie1one said:
Can someone please link me a post where they said there wasn't going to be any DRM in TW2?
They didn't say that, that's why I used the word "misled" instead of "lied to". And misled we were by that post. Or I was, in my hopeful naivete.

mythdragon said:
Sorry, but talking without support of action, is just pointless. Most sales are generated by retail sell, they put drm there. They made digital distribution drm free because for most of pirates it is main source for games. By doing so they maybe will convert few of them. And where is that part about caring about customers first?There is no good white knight with shiny armour here, there are just numbers - and I failed badly believing otherwise.
I agree, you did fail badly believing otherwise. Now, I'm not saying this to be rude or harsh. I simply think you read too much into what they said. CDPR is a company and must make a profit. They are definitely not "good white knights with shiny armor". Are they a company that cares more about making a quality product than most other companies nowdays? Yes, I believe so. I'm sure if they didn't have to rely upon publishers that none of their copies of the game would have DRM. They removed the DRM from the first game and upon release day for TW2 they're going to have a DRM free version available. This doesn't contradict anything they've told us.

freakie1one said:
I agree, you did fail badly believing otherwise. Now, I'm not saying this to be rude or harsh. I simply think you read too much into what they said. CDPR is a company and must make a profit. They are definitely not "good white knights with shiny armor". Are they a company that cares more about making a quality product than most other companies nowdays? Yes, I believe so. I'm sure if they didn't have to rely upon publishers that none of their copies of the game would have DRM. They removed the DRM from the first game and upon release day for TW2 they're going to have a DRM free version available. This doesn't contradict anything they've told us.
By all means I had right to think so. CD Projekt is great company. They make quality localization, top notch. If I recall good, I didn't had any problems with games distributed by them. I can say even more, they ran loyalty program that at first gave you some points for registering games distributed by them. At beginning that wasn't anything exciting, you were getting some discount on their later goods - anyway that was more than anyone offered by that time. When gog came to life this point were converted, and you can get pretty any game from gog for this points now (I didn't used it yet, I own every game that I'm interested in, and are on gog, but possibility is impressive)When they stated their drm policy I was like "I had right believing in them" And then - seeing your hero fall, is pretty devastating.

freakie1one said:
They didn't, and I don't think many people thought they did. However, there was an interview some time ago where one of the CDPR guys, when asked about the DRM on the retail disc, said "Our distributors commented the Ubisoft-like DRM securilty solutions, and we're receiving a massive feedback about applying such in The Witcher 2," the company declared via Facebook. "There's nothing to worry about, as nothing is decided yet. And still, it's a private opinion. You know Cd Projekt RED's opinion about DRM, right? ;-)"I don't think I'm the only one that was led to believe this would mean a mild sort of DRM like a disc check and not on-line activations, the necessity to DL a file to complete the install, and 5 concurrent installs. Short of Ubisoft's always-online DRM scheme, this SecuROMed scheme they've chosen is pretty much the worst thing they could have come up with, IMO. If you don't see how the above quote in italics as well as the quotes at the beginning of this thread would lead people to believe the DRM would not suck like it does, then I don't know how to make it clear to you.

I won't get into bashing Witcher or CDProj, both of which I respect immensely.But I will say that the inclusion of SecuRom has caused me to cancel my Collector's Edition.It isn't DRM that is a problem, although it is a bit odd that they would change their stance on the issue a bit so close to release. I can understand too wanting to protect Day 1 retail release, even though the track record of SecuRom on successfully preventing pre-release piracy is an almost utter fail. And who knows, they will probaby patch out the activation down the road.But the selection of SecuRom itself is a total deal-breaker for me.That company and its software has caused me loss, damage and heartbreak in the past, and I will not have anything to with anything that has anything to do with any thing of theirs. End of story.Of all the DRM measures CDP could have selected, choosing SecuRom, with its apalling track record in terms of results, public relations and actions is almost unthinkable. Put it this way: I really hope the Digital edition has no SecuRom installation in any part of its codebase, active or not.I hope

once upon a time it was that people could go into a shop, buy a "game" (a license in a box, plusdata provided on a media and maybe even a manual) for about 50 bucks, go home, install andplay. as often as they wanted. whenever they wanted. on as many computers as they wanted.without the need for an internet connection. without being dependent on some "authenticationserver" working. and after they finished the game they even had the right to sell or lend the licenseto someone else.hell, often times they even received free content long after the game was released! this was called"fan service", an art now forgotten and replaced with overpriced bullcrap called "dlc"...but that isanother story.then came a time, not too long ago, when some smart people working "in money" were desperatelycraving a new mercedes...for their dog to sleep in. so they came up with a genius plan: "what if...",they thought, "what if we could cut down on those licenses considerably...and still sell them for thesame price! it was a beautiful plan. after all, in their minds the rabble bought "games in a box"...not licenses. in fact, most of their customers never realized they ever bought a license in their life!and so the idea of drm was born and soon after the "money people" started changing the contractswith little consideration for the needs or wants of the other party, effectively trying to sell a reducedproduct for a full price.and while there were those speaking out for their own rights in anger, there were also those whowere too naive to realize or care that they were being RIPPED OFF. all the time posting silly questionslike "what's the big deal?" or hollow statements such as "it's just light drm!", insulting the intelligenceof everybody sane enough to protest and at the same time forsaking their own rights willingly.take heed my brethren, for there is no such thing as a "light drm", just as there is no such thing asa "light rip-off"!

Top Bottom