CDPR at WGK2013: "Crafting an open world"

+
As well as unplayable for users of Windows XP.

I am sorry but XP is a system over a decade old. It's time to put it to rest.

Developers should not be limited in their graphical achievements by those who are using outdated Operating Systems.

As for Linux users. They are not supporting Linux with a release and so they don't owe you jack shit.

CostinMoroianu said:
I am sorry but XP is a system over a decade old. It's time to put it to rest. Developers should not be limited in their graphical achievements by those who are using outdated Operating Systems.
I agree with that (in part about the old systems). Windows XP supports OpenGL 4 though, so again, they aren't limited with graphical achievements. They are limited with DX11 which is itself limited. Thanks to MS junk way of doing things.

CostinMoroianu said:
As for Linux users. They are not supporting Linux with a release and so they don't owe you jack shit.
They don't owe anything, as well as I'm not going to buy it until it's playable. They are just not doing a good job releasing their game for one PC system. Also, they supported more platforms with the Witcher 2 already. They can expand them in TW3 instead of narrowing down.

Agent_Blue

Gilrond said:
I agree with that.

They don't owe anything, as well as I'm not going to buy it until it's playable. They are just not doing a good job releasing their game for one PC system. Also, they supported more platforms with the Witcher 2 already. They can expand them in TW3 instead of narrowing down.

What market share does Linux gaming hold?

AgentBlue said:
What market share does Linux gaming hold?
Gaming market share of Linux is arguably comparable to that of Mac OSX if not higher. I don't mean the number of available games (that's for sure lower). I mean the amount of potential gamers.

Gilrond said:
What kind of limitations? I have access to OpenGL 4.x which exposes all the latest features of the graphics card. If the game is properly released for each system, it can be playable. Witcher 3 is not going to be released in cross platform fashion. It will be Windows/DX11 only. That makes it unplayable for non Windows users, since Wine has no DX11 support yet. As well as unplayable for users of Windows XP.

Not limit, expand. Support OpenGL 4.x and make cross platform builds.

Oh if OpenGL is the equivalent of Dx11, which I did know nothing about to be honest, then you make sense to me, sorry for the misunderstanding.^^
(But wouldn't it cost time for CDPR to actually make it so that it works on OpenGL ? It's not the exact same thing theoretically, is it ?)

Agent_Blue

Gilrond said:
Gaming market share of Linux is arguably comparable to that of Mac OSX, if not higher. I don't mean the number of available games (that's for sure lower). I mean the amount of potential gamers.

There you go.

The number of people gaming on Linux is, well, negligible.
Until the situation changes, why should CDProjekt swerve precious resources from other areas into making TW3 playable on an OS so few are willing to game on to begin with?

ViZ7 said:
Oh if OpenGL is the equivalent of Dx11, which I did know nothing about to be honest, then you make sense to me, sorry for the misunderstanding.^^
OpenGL 4.x is feature equal to Direct3D 11.

ViZ7 said:
But wouldn't it cost time for CDPR to actually make it so that it works on OpenGL ? It's not the exact same thing theoretically, is it?
Anything costs time. In case of CDPR they don't start from scratch, since cross platform support is built into their code by design (they already have to support consoles). Plus OpenGL was for sure used in the previous version of their engine, which was the base of Mac OSX release of the Witcher 2. So they had a good start already.

ViZ7 said:
There you go.

The amount of people gaming on Linux is, well, negligible.
Until the situation changes, why should CDProjekt swerve precious resources from other areas into making TW3 playable on an OS so few are willing to game on to begin with?
If it would be negligible, you wouldn't see CDPR working with Mac OSX support before. It came later than Windows in each case, that's for sure. But they never said it was negligible. Though I'd be interested to see numbers of their Mac OSX sales, if such even exist.

CostinMoroianu said:
I am sorry but XP is a system over a decade old. It's time to put it to rest.

Developers should not be limited in their graphical achievements by those who are using outdated Operating Systems.

You're right. XP has to die. Even if the lack of 64-bit support and the costly effort needed to maintain an OS going on 12 years old weren't enough, the antiquated graphics driver model makes it a waste of time to use for new work.

There's a reason Microsoft ditched XPDM and went with WDDM. XPDM never was and never could be a satisfactory foundation for advances in DirectX.

XP can continue to be used for legacy systems until they're long overdue for recycling. But I agree: demanding that new work support XP is presumptuous.

Mac OS X is a far more attractive platform than Linux, even if Apple's support of OpenGL is dangerously close to prehistoric. There are more than twice as many 10.8 desktops (the most reasonable target) as desktops for all Linux distros together. And Apple's overbearing control of the operating system and hardware makes it almost as homogeneous a target as a console.

But as a moderator, I am going to demand that

THE SNIPING FROM ALL QUARTERS REGARDING LINUX SUPPORT (including inflammatory statements such as "they don't owe you jack shit") IS GOING TO CEASE NOW, OR THE MODERATORS WILL MAKE IT CEASE.

I don't get what you mean by that CAPS LOCKED sentence, so could you, kindly, explain? It is forbidden to discuss about Linux support just like about leaked gameplay footage, *OR* discussion about linux support can take place in only one thread, *OR* you actually meant something else?
---

As for Windows XP and "putting it to rest" (as it isn't about Linux support ;) ) - sure, I'm all for having all XP users switch to Linux :) Meanwhile, "forcing" users to go with Microsoft systems via DX11 only is decision bad by design, nothing less, nothing more. Every technical details was explained already, re OpenGL 4 - I'll just add that from developer's point of view, it isn't any harder/more time consuming to use OpenGL 4 than DX11, so it's design and marketing decision only, not related to meritocratic reason.

I'll stop going into technical discussion now, as 99% of people don't have a clue, and just buy what "big companies" stuff them with - as seen by many posts above.
---

GuyN said:
There are more than twice as many 10.8 desktops (the most reasonable target) as desktops for all Linux distros together.

Now, out of curiosity, where do you got those ridicolous data? I would glady see source, as I was really... Let's call it, "amused", while reading such statement.

/Estel

// Edit

BTW, it's fine, how title of thread nicely plays with content, actually. "Crafting an Open World" and *locking* it to most closed platform in the world... Irony, eh?

Anastasia said:
I don't get what you mean by that CAPS LOCKED sentence, so could you, kindly, explain? It is forbidden to discuss about Linux support just like about leaked gameplay footage, *OR* discussion about linux support can take place in only one thread, *OR* you actually meant something else?
---

As for Windows XP and "putting it to rest" (as it isn't about Linux support ;)/> ) - sure, I'm all for having all XP users switch to Linux :)/> Meanwhile, "forcing" users to go with Microsoft systems via DX11 only is decision bad by design, nothing less, nothing more. Every technical details was explained already, re OpenGL 4 - I'll just add that from developer's point of view, it isn't any harder/more time consuming to use OpenGL 4 than DX11, so it's design and marketing decision only, not related to meritocratic reason.

I'll stop going into technical discussion now, as 99% of people don't have a clue, and just buy what "big companies" stuff them with - as seen by many posts above.
---

Now, out of curiosity, where do you got those ridicolous data? I would glady see source, as I was really... Let's call it, "amused", while reading such statement.

/Estel

// Edit

BTW, it's fine, how title of thread nicely plays with content, actually. "Crafting an Open World" and *locking* it to most closed platform in the world... Irony, eh?

Short and sweet version would be to return to the topic which would be crafting an open world and not crafting an open world for systems other than Windows .

Sure thing, thanks for explanation.

Well, info about causes for Witcher being DX11 were on first post, as part of "crafting an Open world", so no surprise, that this get commented - especially, that CDPR's explanation is ridiculous (in "PR type" words, "not entirely related to reality").

But, if desired content for this thread is only to praise good designs decision about open world, with technically justified complaints being off-topic, I'm happily un-subscribing, and wishing other participants a pleasant discussion :) *waves*

/Estel

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

August 2013

Mac OS X 10.8: 3.42%

All Linux: 1.52%

As per previous instruction, the subject of operating system platforms is hereby closed as not relevant to the topic of the thread and will result in posts being deleted as off topic.

Moderator: Posts have been deleted. Previous direction by moderators to consider operating systems off topic in this thread have not been followed.

Gilrond said:
_Anastasia_: Moderators didn't point out where the discussion can continue. Here is for example the thread about platforms support. Lately moderation is heavy here.

Perhaps that is because a certain sect keeps pushing personal agendas down every member's throat you guys remind me of the BORG. "Resistance is Futile"

You guys seem to make every thread into a us vs the world or Linux vs Windows. Stop it.....please.....you guys have your Linux Thread. Stop spreading propaganda. It makes me and others not want to participate on this forum.If everybody was clamoring to use Linux your thread would have all members engaging there.....sadly for you guys there is maybe 5 to 6 regular users . That said......I am ok with you guys liking Linux it has it's pluses but until it becomes a viable platform for gaming I do not see how it is a pertinent issue for CDPR .

OPINION TIME

I see LINUX as the cheap/entitled persons operating system. I do not think you guys would clamor for it's spread if say they charged $200.00 bucks to install it on your computer. Which is the only way I see Linux becoming a viable operating system. Unifying the best things of all distros or starting from scratch and implementing all the things people like about it(safe, not cluttered, customization, etc.... ) but charging a license fee with regular updates on the PC side.

I get Andriod took off. That said there is so much malware out there now it is as bad as Windows.........

GeraltTheRiv said:
Perhaps that is because a certain sect keeps pushing personal agendas down every member's throat you guys remind me of the BORG. "Resistance is Futile"
I'm not going to make a flame on your remark. I'll just repeat what I said - forum definitely has overmoderation lately.

See further comments in the relevant thread.

Top Bottom