CDPR Being Publicly Traded & The Direction That Followed

+

Guest 4375874

I can fully respect the overall sentiment in this, but I'll stand my ground against the endless hordes that the game was never for even one, split second represented as anything other than it was. I'll put it this way: if some unknown studio had appeared out of nowhere and delivered the same game, people would probably be saying the following:

"It's a fun game, but it misses the mark in a few key areas. It's also rough around the edges, offering nothing on the open-world end that hasn't been seen before. Technical issues abound: graphical glitching to problematic controls. Most notably, the version released for last-gen consoles was simply not ready for release yet, and it was yanked from the Sony and Microsoft marketplaces within days. The studio has announced that they're on it, however, and even offered extended refunds for those customers. Nice to see that sort of accountability. Generally, however, the game is very impressive! From the design of the world to the incredibly acted dialogue scenes -- there is an almost overwhelming amount of love and detail crammed into every inch of it. Character customization is pretty slick, with lots of options to create the sort of V you're envisioning in your mind. Definitely worth checking out if you're into the dark, gritty, merciless world of Cyberpunk!"

But...since it was CD Projekt RED...creators of the legendary Witcher series, especially the all-time classic The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and it's astoundingly good expansions and piles of awards...now the response is:

"...complete trash...!"
"...gotta be kidding me, right...!?"
"...lied to all of us...!"
"...betrayal...!"
"...never buy anything from the studio again...!"
...etc.

Amazing how context can warp reality in the mind. I could easily show the same type of pattern for any number of widely celebrated studios. Once people become accustomed to a certain type of thing, they begin to take it for granted. They don't remember that sometimes, things go sideways. That doesn't mean that a studio intentionally misled people. (Especially not while trying to organize the final stages of a game using elements of cinematography the likes of which has only rarely been attempted before, and never on a project of this scale, while dealing with a company that was simultaneously growing to a size they had never dealt with before, and supporting numerous other projects simultaneously...just as the worst global pandemic in living memory struck and they couldn't even go into the studio to work on it.)

My guess is that this will be what decides the court case in CDPR's favor. Investors allowing themselves to be dazzled by hype as much as many players were. Individuals putting more weight on what the studio was saying than the words that were spoken actually meant by plain, objective definition. The same individuals who would have chosen to act differently if it had been a studio other than CDPR.

That's the kicker. If I put my faith in investing in a company -- even in the throes of such amazingly unprecedented challenges -- whose responsibility is that in the end? Of course, the company is going to try to argue their strengths and maintain my investment. Of course, there are pretty significant obstacles facing the studio because of COVID. Of course, there's a likelihood of things not coming together so perfectly. Of course, if I choose to withdraw my investment mid-stream, I'm going to take a loss.

But it's my decision. I cannot make the choice to remain invested in that situation, hoping for the best, and then spin 180° after things hit some major bumps and claim that it's everyone else's fault I didn't make all the money I was hoping to make.

Ah...here we come to a critical point. I 100% disagree. I found more role-playing in CP2077 than I did in TW3. Being raised in the 1970s and '80s, role-playing to me means choice and consequence. Interacting with the world, and having it react to me accordingly. I started to get a bit jaded and annoyed with RPGs around the time that Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition got really huge. I friggin' hate math...and now my RPGs were becoming @#$%!ng spreadsheets of numerical data that needed a #$%@!ng scientific calculator process! It was missing the whole point! (I honestly never looked at things like the Ultima series or Fargoal as "RPGs" until years and years later -- I just thought of them as "video games" at the time. And I liked those, too.)

People that grew up in the later 1980s and '90s will think of RPGs as table sessions surrounded by stacks of books, and screens, and a thousand different types of dice, and little miniatures on a tactical map. They're likely to have played mostly pre-made modules -- at least to start with. And CRPGs meant things like the D&D Goldbox series, Ultima, and hack-and-slash dungeon crawls like Wizardry, Might and Magic, or Eye of the Beholder.

People that grew up in the late 1990s and early 2000s likely think of RPGs to mean things like Daggerfall, Final Fantasy, Diablo, Deus Ex, and Fallout 1 & 2. Games with a lot of character that were either grind-fests or what had always been referred to as Action/Adventure games (with some RPG elements thrown in). In my experience, most "people that love RPGs" from this generation have never once in their life played a tabletop RPG.

People that grew up in the 2000's to the present most likely look at RPGs as meaning MMOs, games like Skyrim or Mass Effect, or even games like Assassin's Creed or Borderlands. We've now come so far from what a "role-playing game" originally meant, that it's like saying Spam is a form of pemmican. (Yeah...I guess both meat products are likely to eventually wind up in a tin...)

Thus, while your opinion on the game is perfectly valid, and it either provided the experience you were looking for or it didn't, which is entirely your prerogative and decision...

...there is absolutely no qualified way of saying, "They claimed it was an RPG -- and it's clearly not. They misrepresented the product!"

Erm...which definition of RPG are we using again? No hope there. None. The term has become hopelessly mired in a fog of perceptions, mechanics, and accepted definitions. Trying to argue from this stance will have the entire, subsequent argument tossed out as "speculative / ambiguous".

This is why, personally, I put a lot of stock in clear definitions for various genres. It's fine for new genres to be created -- or for something to fall between genres -- but the genre definitions themselves should be clear. Language is communication, and any time communication dissolves into this level of inaccuracy, I feel there should be a more active, authoritative body of experts that handles this and adjusts official definitions accordingly. (There are several...but they're nowhere near active or authoritative enough to apply to the average person in day-to-day practice...nor to gigantic industries that just blatantly ignore them. :mad: [...I'm not bitter. :coolstory:])

So, what will need to actually be presented in the court case is the language used (word-for-word) and the imagery shown in the context of the language used (again, word-for-word). My belief is that many people (the investors not the least) are about to receive a bit of a lesson in how what we think in our minds...because we think so...based on assumption, interpretation, expectation, and desire...is 100%, completely, unequivocally, and unarguably different from what has actually been said and shown.

(Unless someone did try to misinform or withhold the truth intentionally. In which case, the preponderance of the evidence should be overwhelming. And in that case, this will be a sharp lesson in how not to do business with investors.)

But I'll state in closing that nothing I was ever shown led me to believe the game would be different than it was. I was seriously impressed that the game managed to maintain the cinematic and choice/consequence execution from beginning to end, was outright surprised to the depth it went in places, and felt that the bugs were a nuisance that did not detract much from the experience that the publicity and advertising actually exhibited. Many parts of the game exceeded my expectations: like Johnny. I can't go on enough about how absolutely engrossing the character was, and I think Reeves was the perfect choice. I would never have thought that way. Awesome job.
I "mostly" agree. I don't believe it was intentionally deceptive. I believe the devs knew they were coming off the very successful Witcher 3 so people will draw parallels and they played that up by having in game items with witcher logo and keywords like "milfgard" etc scattered throughout which intentionally or not gives the impression that this will be similar but a step above. Adding to that, the cyberpunk genre comes with it's own set of expectations where it holds nothing back. So while I agree with you, I do believe they let things spiral where they should have managed expectations from early on, particularly knowing they now have less control having gone public.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, especially Silverhand as you mentioned. He was a welcomed surprise and I loved him more than I thought I would. People who outright say the game is trash are being disingenuous, however you may feel about the launch and bugs, the story and RPG elements (yes it's more RPG than W3 no question about that) were well done. The sheer amount of detail that went into the design and immersion are some of the best I've experienced in recent memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
The disappointment was not about how the game performed at launch. At launch, due to pre-orders it garnered a lot of sales. The disappointment is the sales after the launch.

CDPR did not provide sales data post-launch, but analysts speculate that the sales in the first 6 months of 2021 for CP2077 are below 1 million copies based on the huge drop in revenue (65%). This drop in revenue is due to the poor post-launch performance sales-wise of CP2077.

Just to give an example of how bad things are, Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 17 million copies at launch (first 2 weeks). 2 months later in December 2018 (game was released in October), it reached 23 million copies sold. By March 2019 (6 months later), it reached 24 million. So in 6 months RDR2 sold 7 million copies, not less than 1 million. CDPR apparently built similar sales expectations for CP2077. They expected the game to sell similarly at launch, and it did sell. 14-15 million copies is very good. They anticipated more sales post-launch, but that fell short.... short as in -65%.

Now, I am not implying that CDPR will go bankrupt. I am speculating some financial difficulties on the long run and possibly some necessary shift towards speeding up new game development while reducing the amount of time and money spent on fixing CP2077. Assuming sales will not improve of course.

Regarding the lawsuit, I do think it has chances of winning since the scope of it is that CDPR lied about the state of the game and induced false expectations to investors with a deceitful marketing campaign, especially with the state of the game on consoles. Investing does indeed come up with risks, if an investor is not aware of this then he/she is foolish. But CDPR was in the wrong as well with the way it marketed the game.

The reputation hit is probably the biggest hit. CDPR, prior to the launch of CP2077 had a reputation of being a customer friendly company, especially for companies that develop AAA games. [...]
Your posts are wishfull thinking. Company has zero debts. CDPR is in best finiancial state in their history. They don't have to make money to 2025 and can ,at same time, produce two AAA games. Game is not flop actually it's fininacial succes. It's time to deal with reality.

It runs surprisingly well, ready when it's ready. Provable deception? No idea. The intent is an unknown. We don't know if the intent behind such statements was to deliberately create the sense everything was going according to plan when it was fully known it was not. All it takes is an email tucked away shedding light on whether this sort of thing was... premeditated. Assuming access to such material is realistic.
Well, the funny thing about the pandemic and all these miscellaneous hurdles is they're largely being used as excuses.
There are no excuses. There are realities. While people might highlight things as "excuses" because they don't like the results of something, that does not mean that the reality of the situation changes. Now, as a teacher, I'm not big on excuses. I understand that there are times when things pile up, or things completely outside of anyone's control create untenable situations. I think there's a pretty widespread misconception, though, that all excuses are invalid, and therefore if someone offers an excuse, it automatically means that they're in the wrong. That's untrue.

The reason the Titanic sunk was primarily because there was a flaw in the steel production. No one did it on purpose, no one caught the mistake, and there was no conceivable reason for there to be any worry of that type of damage resulting to the ship. In hindsight (fallacy!), once the problem was identified, it's 100% correct to take steps to prevent such an error in the future -- but that's not the same as saying that the steel factory did it intentionally and will now be held criminally accountable for the fact that we learned something new about how refining steel works.

The reason that several models of airliners crashed, resulting in countless thousands of deaths world-wide over the years, is because design flaws were discovered that result in various types of performance, stability, or degradation issues that would only ever manifest in certain situations that aeronautic egineers knew nothing about and could not possibly have predicted. The way airflow changes during ultrasonic speeds...the way icing can separate certain molecular bonds in the feuselage after 15 years of continuous use...that microbursts can so drastically affect air pressure that it becomes impossible for a certain design of plane to lift its nose again. Not knowing that these things existed doesn't mean that engineers are now criminally liable for not having unlocked all the mysteries of the universe before designing a new plane.

Excuses can very much be valid. Responsibility is not the same thing a fault. The court case will be trying to decide whether CDPR intentionally, of their own knowing and willful decisions, specifically chose to either a.) misrepresent information to their investors or 2.) withhold information that was readily available and supportable while falsely claiming ignorance. These would be the only two actions that would result in a guilty verdict.

If I have, say, 3 testing PS4 systems from different regions of the world, and I get the game running on two of them at a steady 30 FPS, while the third one shows some framerate drops here and there, but the team is pretty sure they know why it's happening, I am well within my rights to say: "It runs surprisingly well!" If an investor takes that to mean, "It runs at 60 FPS on last-gen consoles!" aaahhh...nooo...that's not what was said at all. If they take it to mean, "There are no major issues with the game at all!" erm...again...no...that's not what those words mean. This would be gross assumption on the part of the investors. That would be invalidly superimposing meaning to my statement that I did not express. That's a problem with the way the listener is thinking and processing -- not a problem with what I've said.

Conversely -- ! -- if the investor was to specifically ask, "Does that mean running at steady 60 FPS?" and I were to respond, "Absolutely! 60 FPS pretty much across the board!" that would be a lie. And I would have no way substantiating it. In fact, I would either need to show evidence of the testing that was done, and the truth would be readily apparent that it was running at 30 FPS max. Or, I would dig an even further hole by trying to claim the records were lost, or I was confused at the time, etc. None of this is going to fool anyone, and that would be leaning more and more toward me being found guilty.

This is where I seriously hope (and doubt) that there was any misrepresentation. It's not my responsibility to manage other people's knowledge and understanding. It's their responsibility to ask questions if needed. It's not my responsibility to be pessimistic about what I can accomplish despite the pandemic. It's the investor's responsibility to decide whether they want to remain invested or not. It's not my responsibility to foresee the future and determine whether players will love or hate the final results. It's the investor's responsibility to make their own predictions based on what they're shown and decide if they want to continue.

But most importantly -- if a completely unexpected problem appears that didn't occur on my testing machines -- if the pandemic continues escalating to a point where I do run into some major hurdles -- if for whatever reason, the game isn't as big a hit as I thought it would be -- that does not mean that is my fault that things worked out that way. That's just life. It is my responsibility to ensure things are handled correctly at that point.

So, an investor looking at the situation after the fact (hindsight! [fallacy!]), then tries to make an accusation that I knew the future and intentionally misrepresented it (assumptive reasoning! [fallacy!]), despite the fact that they were free to withdraw their investments at any point if they had misgivings (displacement of liability [fallacy!])...there's not much ground to stand on.

Also, to make sure this remains fully connected and on-topic --

This is exactly why I would never want to deal with publicly trading a company. This is what it usually looks like when stocks take a hit. Rather than focusing on creating my art, and working within my means, and earning my own keep...I'm spending far too much of my time scrambling around, trying to schmooze and politic, under constant pressure to deliver unrealistic if not impossible deadlines, and getting all sorts of PR flak if something goes wrong. (To me, the only thing worse would be a producer -- they might be more in-tune with the industry...but you can pick and choose investors.) Personally, I'd rather just stay small, stay lean, and stay innovative.

Its some time since I played TW3, but if I recall correctly you didn't really have attributes in the TW3 only perks or abilities right? So when you are presented with this, you don't expect attributes to play a role in the game, like skill checks etc. So I agree, that all RPG games, doesn't need to be alike in that regard.
So to me, RPG games can be widely different. But as with any game based on D&D you would sort of expect it to be based on the rules of that game. Especially if the developers point out that it is a RPG, you do expect skill checks and things having some sort of randomness to it, driven by stats. And CP does have a rule book as well, with how stats and skill checks etc works. Whereas Ultima didn't, but it did still make heavy use of attributes etc. At least some of them did.

But I agree, that it depend on the player and how they look at RPGs, but to me, these game have stats, attributes, skill checks etc. in them, which are used to determine outcomes. And I would have liked that to be much more fleshed out in CP and it being less like GTA.
You're kind of missing and supporting my point at the same time, I think. :D

What you're saying is exactly the issue. It's not that we would need to clarify what "RPG" meant -- it's that we can't clarify it. Hence, there will be no time spent on that in something like a court case. The decision that will immediately be reached is that: "Okay, it seems to be a term that means a lot of different things to different people. Therefore, trying to argue in favor of only one specific meaning is invalid. Charge dismissed. What's next?"

My point is it's a dud argument that cannot be validly supported in any way. Not my way. Not your way. Not the way 50,000 angry fans claim it's not an RPG. Not the way 50,000 cheering fans claim it is and RPG. Nothing. The whole claim is just going to get tossed out immediately. (I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any way this would be recognized in a courtroom. Again, it would be an argument based on ambiguous/speculative reasoning.)

Plus, I wouldn't imagine that's even one of the issues. I think the primary thing the case is focusing on is whether or not CDPR was aware of major issues with the last-gen console version of the game, but did not convey this to investors.

Also, probably a good time for a reminder to all that my thoughts above are my own. I am not speaking for CDPR, and my ideas are based largely on philosophy and speculation -- just like everyone else in the conversation. Anything official will appear in blue text, like this.

Last edited:
What you're saying is exactly the issue. It's not that we would need to clarify what "RPG" meant -- it's that we can't clarify it. Hence, there will be no time spent on that in something like a court case.
Yeah, I agree that I don't think the lawsuits are going to be about whether or not it is an RPG, but rather this:

Two of these lawsuits were well-documented back in December 2020 and January 2021, being brought against CDPR by investors who claimed they were misled regarding the state and playability of Cyberpunk 2077 on last-gen Xbox and PlayStation consoles. The other two lawsuits were not detailed in CDPR's post but, given they've been bundled-together, are presumably of a similar nature.

And I don't know if they will win it anyway, and don't really care to much either, they probably think they have a case of some sort.

My point is it's a dud argument that cannot be validly supported in any way. Not my way. Not your way. Not the way 50,000 angry fans claim it's not an RPG. Not the way 50,000 cheering fans claim it is and RPG.
You're kind of missing and supporting my point at the same time, I think. :D

It is because I sort of agree with you, because the genre of RPG is so loose. :D And again, I do think that CP have RPG elements in it. But you ought to categorize games in regards to what best describe them, which is why I think it was misleading when they say that it was RPG first and action second. Instead of saying that it was an action, adventure game with a bit of RPG elements. Because I think that is what best describe the type of game it is.

And probably also why CDPR write it on Steam:
Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a....

Nothing wrong in the game being that, I just think they should have said it from the beginning, "We are making an open world Cyberpunk game in the style of GTA with a few RPG elements" and obviously have said it in a better way :D

There are no excuses. There are realities. While people might highlight things as "excuses" because they don't like the results of something, that does not mean that the reality of the situation changes. Now, as a teacher, I'm not big on excuses. I understand that there are times when things pile up, or things completely outside of anyone's control create untenable situations. I think there's a pretty widespread misconception, though, that all excuses are invalid, and therefore if someone offers an excuse, it automatically means that they're in the wrong. That's untrue.
A fair point. I'd point out a pandemic entering the picture and causing a ruckus isn't an event one cannot adjust around. The pandemic hits. People now ideally stay away from other people. A lot of stuff must be retooled to allow work from home. Most people probably have no idea how much of a logistical and technical nightmare it is to set up remote access for an entire company on a dime.

As noted, as soon as that pandemic started blowing up steps should have been taken to extend the release date significantly. Customers can deal with it. Investors should be properly informed they're going to get burned without the extra time. If they were and disregarded it then so be it.
The reason the Titanic sunk was primarily because there was a flaw in the steel production. No one did it on purpose, no one caught the mistake, and there was no conceivable reason for there to be any worry of that type of damage resulting to the ship. In hindsight (fallacy!), once the problem was identified, it's 100% correct to take steps to prevent such an error in the future -- but that's not the same as saying that the steel factory did it intentionally and will now be held criminally accountable for the fact that we learned something new about how refining steel works.
Ramming into the iceberg probably didn't help either. We have ships called icebreakers. I'll bet there are certain icebergs they steer clear of under certain circumstances.
The reason that several models of airliners crashed, resulting in countless thousands of deaths world-wide over the years, is because design flaws were discovered that result in various types of performance, stability, or degradation issues that would only ever manifest in certain situations that aeronautic egineers knew nothing about and could not possibly have predicted. The way airflow changes during ultrasonic speeds...the way icing can separate certain molecular bonds in the feuselage after 15 years of continuous use...that microbursts can so drastically affect air pressure that it becomes impossible for a certain design of plane to lift its nose again. Not knowing that these things existed doesn't mean that engineers are now criminally liable for not having unlocked all the mysteries of the universe before designing a new plane.
There is a big difference between having no idea a problem exists vs knowing full well it's there and handling it poorly.
Excuses can very much be valid. Responsibility is not the same thing a fault. The court case will be trying to decide whether CDPR intentionally, of their own knowing and willful decisions, specifically chose to either a.) misrepresent information to their investors or 2.) withhold information that was readily available and supportable while falsely claiming ignorance. These would be the only two actions that would result in a guilty verdict.
Pretty much. But, once again, we don't know. Claiming CDPR is evil, terrible, bad and should be sued is premature without knowing the specifics. Claiming they're perfectly innocent is premature too. Both are at best wild speculation without a heap of additional context and information.
If I have, say, 3 testing PS4 systems from different regions of the world, and I get the game running on two of them at a steady 30 FPS, while the third one shows some framerate drops here and there, but the team is pretty sure they know why it's happening, I am well within my rights to say: "It runs surprisingly well!" If an investor takes that to mean, "It runs at 60 FPS on last-gen consoles!" aaahhh...nooo...that's not what was said at all. If they take it to mean, "There are no major issues with the game at all!" erm...again...no...that's not what those words mean. This would be gross assumption on the part of the investors. That would be invalidly superimposing meaning to my statement that I did not express. That's a problem with the way the listener is thinking and processing -- not a problem with what I've said.

Conversely -- ! -- if the investor was to specifically ask, "Does that mean running at steady 60 FPS?" and I were to respond, "Absolutely! 60 FPS pretty much across the board!" that would be a lie. And I would have no way substantiating it. In fact, I would either need to show evidence of the testing that was done, and the truth would be readily apparent that it was running at 30 FPS max. Or, I would dig an even further hole by trying to claim the records were lost, or I was confused at the time, etc. None of this is going to fool anyone, and that would be leaning more and more toward me being found guilty.

This is where I seriously hope (and doubt) that there was any misrepresentation. It's not my responsibility to manage other people's knowledge and understanding. It's their responsibility to ask questions if needed. It's not my responsibility to be pessimistic about what I can accomplish despite the pandemic. It's the investor's responsibility to decide whether they want to remain invested or not. It's not my responsibility to foresee the future and determine whether players will love or hate the final results. It's the investor's responsibility to make their own predictions based on what they're shown and decide if they want to continue.
Oh please, nobody would reasonably expect surprisingly well to mean terrible. That's where interpretation of the legality comes into play. If you get really technical surprisingly well is an accurate description if the person making the claim was expecting it to barely run at all. Regardless, that language isn't very reasonable. Even though it may not technically be a lie it's possible for it to be seen as equivalent to one.

In regards to investors asking questions, you're absolutely right. They're still at the mercy of the answers provided.

Perhaps the difference is one perspective is the entire burden rests on the receiver of the information. Another is much of it falls on the receiver but the provider still has some level of responsibility. They have a responsibility to paint an accurate picture.
Also, to make sure this remains fully connected and on-topic --

This is exactly why I would never want to deal with publicly trading a company. This is what it usually looks like when stocks take a hit. Rather than focusing on creating my art, and working within my means, and earning my own keep...I'm spending far too much of my time scrambling around, trying to schmooze and politic, under constant pressure to deliver unrealistic if not impossible deadlines, and getting all sorts of PR flak if something goes wrong. (To me, the only thing worse would be a producer -- they might be more in-tune with the industry...but you can pick and choose investors.) Personally, I'd rather just stay small, stay lean, and stay innovative.
On this we agree. Yeah, I'd imagine it'd get tiresome having to deal with all the baggage. But... there are only so many pathways to more paper with value assigned to it.

No, this will not be turned into "Is the game an RPG?". That has been done to death in countless threads, and has nothing to with this topic.

Off-topic posts deleted, and if this gets derailed to that again it will be closed.

- CP2077 #1 on PS4 Download Charts - without new marketing campaign and help from Sony, only word of mouth
- The Witcher: Monster Slayer this month
- DLC free and payed for CP2077
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition this year
- two AAA titles in parallel development
- indirect marketing by Netflix' The Witcher second season and anime coming
- CP2077 anime by Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill)

The future looks bright for CD Projekt RED. Could be quit possible the last time to grab some shares under 200PLN:)

Go CD Projekt RED!!!

Guest 4375874

- CP2077 #1 on PS4 Download Charts - without new marketing campaign and help from Sony, only word of mouth
- The Witcher: Monster Slayer this month
- DLC free and payed for CP2077
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition this year
- two AAA titles in parallel development
- indirect marketing by Netflix' The Witcher second season and anime coming
- CP2077 anime by Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill)

The future looks bright for CD Projekt RED. Could be quit possible the last time to grab some shares under 200PLN:)

Go CD Projekt RED!!!
While I'm excited for all that, it'll depend on how they handle CP2077 and whether the mismanagement was a sign of things to come because we see a lot of employees from the Witcher team leaving the company. If it is the new norm and that means they have little to no control going forward and priorities have changed then as far as the games go I remain skeptical in throwing my support to them without more information.

While I'm excited for all that, it'll depend on how they handle CP2077 and whether the mismanagement was a sign of things to come because we see a lot of employees from the Witcher team leaving the company. If it is the new norm and that means they have little to no control going forward and priorities have changed then as far as the games go I remain skeptical in throwing my support to them without more information.
I find it amazing, what some people expect from CD Projekt. A game like CP2077 has so many totally new challengs compared to there previous projects. And this game is hughe! It's not just The Witcher with cars. Just look at the learning process from Witcher 1 to 3.

And no, the game is not perfect! I would like more interaction and I really miss car chases with the police, more diverse enemy attack patterns, more flying cars, motorbike and car races and jumps across the city and many more. Just give them some time and have faith:)

Edit: I never was aboard the hypetrain.

Guest 4375874

I find it amazing, what some people expect from CD Projekt. A game like CP2077 has so many totally new challengs compared to there previous projects. And this game is hughe! It's not just The Witcher with cars. Just look at the learning process from Witcher 1 to 3.

And no, the game is not perfect! I would like more interaction and I really miss car chases with the police, more diverse enemy attack patterns, more flying cars, motorbike and car races and jumps across the city and many more. Just give them some time and have faith:)

Edit: I never was aboard the hypetrain.
I'm aware, I'm a staunch defender of the game. That said, I don't believe in blind support which is why I said it depends on what decisions they make going forward and the roadmap they outlined for the game. I'm not sure what part of that you disagree with but It doesn't matter how complex the game is and it has nothing to do with hype, it's on the developers to push the game release date if they need more time. And that's the point I made. If they no longer are capable of doing that (making sure the game is ready or communicate if it isn't) then I will view them in a different light.

@replayNinja In your TO you are calling into question if it was a good idea to go public: " I don't recall much at the time they went public or why it was necessary but I now find myself wondering whether that decision is a self inflicted wound that will result in their own undoing." and then you wrote: "...handle CP2077 and whether the mismanagement ...". What I was trying to say was, that your (and a lot of other people's) expectations were just over the top unrealistic based on the experience CD Project has with cars and life in a megapolis etc.. The result is great for their first Cyberpunk game, and I'm sure, there will be more games in this universe. I also think they listen to the gamers and every future game and DLC will enhance the experience for all of us.
Of course I can be wrong and they became greedy vampires sucking out all our gamerblood and money - but I don't think and hope so. Otherwise I would not be a shareholder...

Speaking about going public and self inflicted wounds, let's take a look at the price since IPO:
qqeqweqwe.png

You see "a self inflicted wound" - all I see are massiv gains since IPO.
But hey, people are different...

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

@replayNinja In your TO you are calling into question if it was a good idea to go public: " I don't recall much at the time they went public or why it was necessary but I now find myself wondering whether that decision is a self inflicted wound that will result in their own undoing." and then you wrote: "...handle CP2077 and whether the mismanagement ...". What I was trying to say was, that your (and a lot of other people's) expectations were just over the top unrealistic based on the experience CD Project has with cars and life in a megapolis etc.. The result is great for their first Cyberpunk game, and I'm sure, there will be more games in this universe. I also think they listen to the gamers and every future game and DLC will enhance the experience for all of us.
Of course I can be wrong and they became greedy vampires sucking out all our gamerblood and money - but I don't think and hope so. Otherwise I would not be a shareholder...

Speaking about going public and self inflicted wounds, let's take a look at the price since IPO:
View attachment 11235697

You see "a self inflicted wound" - all I see are massiv gains since IPO.
But hey, people are different...
I think you've misunderstood my stance or you believe the discussion has to be polarized. I haven't said I had any issue with CP2077, in fact I just said I'm one who often defends the game so I'm not sure what expectations you are referring to. I loved the game, but I can also acknowledge and criticize what was handled poorly. That was the basis for my argument on their going public. Not overzealous expectations but the decision making that lead up to the very flawed release (that's not debatable) and whether that is reflective of what we an expect in the future. Anyhow hope that clarifies, if not we'll agree to disagree there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom