CDPR considering Expansion instead of DLC

+
CDPR considering Expansion instead of DLC

Not sure if this was posted:http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/11/cd-projekt-considering-expansions-for-witcher-2-instead-of-traditional-dlc/Great news for me.

Gop is still saying 40 hour main quest? And the average? Amazing how different that is compared to reviewers comments.

Expansion instead of DLC sounds good to me. I would rather have another mini-campaign then just some new quests/armor/weapons/etc.

This is excellent news :-D I like big expansion packs and would gladly buy one. I hate this trend of games having a million small DLC's that we're supposed to pay for individually and hunt them all down to get the full story. I usually don't bother because I find that to be very annoying and over-priced.However a good expansion pack is much more convenient (everything already collected together for me in one place) and it feels like a much better value for the money so I won't hesitate to buy it :-D

I must be an oldskool gamer, but I coulda sworn that "expansion packs" were the traditional method for pc games "back in the day" and DLC (due to the next iteration of consoles) over the past few years has just really caught on? Guess I'm just showing my gaming age? lol

ne0ge0 said:
I must be an oldskool gamer, but I coulda sworn that "expansion packs" were the traditional method for pc games "back in the day" and DLC (due to the next iteration of consoles) over the past few years has just really caught on? Guess I'm just showing my gaming age? lol
I thought the exact same thing when I read the article. It's actually kind of sad that DLC is now viewed as the normal thing to do and an expansion pack is considered unusual.

An expansion pack sounds like a better fit for TW2 than DLC, so I'm not surprised that CDPR would go that route. I hope all of the developers take a nice, long rest before they start on it, though! Those guys have gotta be TIRED. :)

I hope so. Big expansion packs and I would gladly give them my money! I'm tired of mission/quest dlc with no sidequests to offer. Dragon Age Origins had an okay expansion and a lot of crap little dlc. Expansions are just better.

Hail for that, I am buying. It would be stupid to rewrite the whole engine since it is such a beauty and only Crysis come close to the Witcher 2 graphics.

I think with almost all CDP RED's hands busy with the X-box port, we'll have to wait for the next year for a proper expansion. We'll have more free DLC instead, which doesnt hurt.

Be as it may, they've announced there will be news regarding this at GAmescom in Cologne, later this month...

Monimonster said:
Thats so true. A dlc is practically over before it begins if you ask me. An expansion on the other hand, that I would gladly pay for. One hopefully including more of the npcs (like Zoltan and Dandelion for example). Not like certain dlcs where your companions suddenly have gone mute. I hate that

There is so much too that an expansion can be based around. Like Saskia or Stennis building a country, Yennerfer/The Wild Hunt, the invasin from Niilfgaard or hell I wouldn't mind going back to Temeria and seeing how things are going.

Monimonster said:
Thats so true. A dlc is practically over before it begins if you ask me. An expansion on the other hand, that I would gladly pay for. One hopefully including more of the npcs (like Zoltan and Dandelion for example). Not like certain dlcs where your companions suddenly have gone mute. I hate that

Exactly! :D I was so angry when I finally got around to playing the Fallout 3 DLC and I couldn't take Charon with me (at least for four out of the five DLC's). It made the DLC's feel so tacked-on and clearly not part of the main game.

I'm sure that a full-fledged expansion for Witcher 2 would not make that kind of mistake (for that matter, Troll Trouble was well-integrated, and I haven't replayed the game yet since patch 1.3 to see the new DLC but I'll bet it's also done very well).

Monimonster said:
There is so much too that an expansion can be based around. Like Saskia or Stennis building a country, Yennerfer/The Wild Hunt, the invasin from Niilfgaard or hell I wouldn't mind going back to Temeria and seeing how things are going.

Indeed :D There are a lot of loose ends which could be taken up either in an expansion or a sequel. I'm trying to decide what makes the most sense to save for the sequel and I think the war with Nilfgaard and searching for Yennefer could easily take a full game.

I'm thinking maybe an expansion would be some new side stories started and finished within the expansion itself, and then maybe a little bit of advancement on the main story arc that will be picked up in Witcher 3. Either way, I'm really excited to see where they go with it :D

Top Bottom