CDPR could deliver even more than others opening some of their 3D models

+

Do you want the 3D model of Judy Alvarez?

• Total voters
Everyone would benefit if game studios released a fraction of their 3D assets when launching a game.

Imagine if the GoG Cyberpunk2077 goodies pack included a blender directory, with four 3D models - rigged and with few base animations :
- hero - V default character M/F
- weapon - Militech 9mm M-10AF Lexington
- vehicle - Quadra Type-66

PROS

It would be una bendición for tons of players, including :
- aspiring and experienced modders, whom would get official material to work from. Mods are known to increase game longevity and thus are profitable for the studio.
- People learning to make video games, and god knows how the status-quo, of game makers gate-keeping milked and catheterized players from ascending into supreme creators, stinks ugly Toad Prince farts.
- Content creators, thinking the average youtuber/streamer, that could make thumbnails with fun poses,
- every person who wants its cheap figurine, and has access to a 3D printer. Which is virtually everyone now, given maker labs and 3D-printing online orders.

Cyberpunk would pioneer in the tripleA industry and raise the bar in value delivered once again. and gain more love, recognition, praise from journalists, jealousy from shit studios.

It would increase community interaction.

CONS (that are in fact pros) :

It would hinder CDPR's merch sales.
Except that it would not. The market segment for figurines is that of luxury goods, they cost more than a hundred dollars each : virtually giving a free 2$ merch to everyone is just a way of harvesting attention, growing the market, and turning more potential buyers into high-end sales.

It would risk game sales. Or an outsider studio could steal CDPR hard-fought position.
No. If all it took to make a metacritic-95/100 AAA was the 3D assets, people would have come to know by now.

It would cost a lot.
No.

It would...
Wrong

"But..."
Just do it!

P.S. An aspiring modder whom just wants a statuette for free teheh xD.

Last edited:
Yeah, source code wouldn't hurt either.
... nobody moves! ...

... this! Exactly!
Let's keep our cool though, only after the open beta.
I'm not a rocket surgeon, but wouldn't releasing the source code allow the entire world to essentially re-build the game and pirate it on a massive scale, essentially as good as giving it away for free on a silver platter? I don't like DRM, and I'm sure there are massive amounts of people who intentionally pay for games on GOG because they respect them and CDPR, but literally handing away the source code, isn't that a bit much? Do I understand this suggestion correctly or am I just being confused??

releasing an official mod kit like they did with TW2 would be the best in my estimation. i would love to write new stories inside RedEngine4/CP2077.
Yes, I hope CDProjektRed releases the most comprehensive mod kit that the video game universe has ever seen.
I am so excited, SO SO VERY EXCITED, I am desperate for what the modding community has in store. (No sarcasm of any kind, Just in case any misunderstanding) (No assumptions being made in any way, just being very very cautious just in case, since I'm not sure who is being referenced of the mention of sarcasm.)

Last edited:
Ah, sarcasm. Gotta love it. :D

And no, I don't agree with the OP's idea. Basically just asking for free stuff.

no harm in asking for free stuff. esp when certain companies try to put modding behind a paywall *agch*cough*aahagch* gimme a second...gotta clean up this "creation club" i just spit all over my keyboard...weird.

but it would be very cool if, as they have done in the past with TW2, they released a mod suite for RedEngine4/CP2077 because I really want to write other stories with the mechanics and mechanics base of CP2077 (unofficial Shadowrun 2077? Ghost in the Shell 2077? Trigun 2077?)

no harm in asking for free stuff. esp when certain companies try to put modding behind a paywall *agch*cough*aahagch* gimme a second...gotta clean up this "creation club" i just spit all over my keyboard...weird.

but it would be very cool if, as they have done in the past with TW2, they released a mod suite for RedEngine4/CP2077 because I really want to write other stories with the mechanics and mechanics base of CP2077 (unofficial Shadowrun 2077? Ghost in the Shell 2077? Trigun 2077?)
Maybe alien, predator, star wars, terminator, zombies, cyber zombies?, aliens, just all kinds of cool stuff.
CYBER BATMAN 2077?
CYBER JOKER?
the possibilities are endless

not sure who is being referenced of the mention of sarcasm.

Given lelxrv's allegedly game making and definitely gaming industry knowledge, I classified his post as sarcasm, beep bop.
So I figured I could only reply in the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge free software advocate, user, lover. But, there is as much difference between releasing four assets in an ocean of thousands, and opening the source code of such a game; as there is between asking a dude for a cigarette, and begging the Queen for the Crown jewels.

That aside, I really hope there will be a thriving modding community around here too!

Given lelxrv's allegedly game making and definitely gaming industry knowledge, I classified his post as sarcasm, beep bop.
So I figured I could only reply in the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge free software advocate, user, lover. But, there is as much difference between releasing four assets in an ocean of thousands, and opening the source code of such a game; as there is between asking a dude for a cigarette, and begging the Queen for the Crown jewels.

That aside, I really hope there will be a thriving modding community around here too!
Oh wow I was so confused, thanks. :)

Hey,
it could be super cool to make a huge "marketplace"...or something, where huge 3D companies could "open source" their assets. And I mean everything - like 3d models, music, cinematics, animations, code, UI elements, voiceovers,...

It could be like Quixel on steroids. It would power up the community to the skies and make the prototyping much easier for professionals.

The motivation for professionals could be that the platform would provide integration pipelines, asset organization...and stuff, so it could save plenty of time, money, and stress.

Prototyping random sci-fi scene could be (as simple as) dragging in some Quixel vegetations, star wars aliens and random non-human Skyrim NPCs and beasts from Avatar, then just put there black hole...or two from Interstellar. If Mixer would support these assets for some high-level customization - like repaint, change the size, randomness,... - it could be huge.

Though what could a system like this benefit from the most could be general tools, some stuff like Promethean AI. It would be awesome to have e.g. Spore character generator with all the clothing, colors, assets,... - from every possible 3D production.

What's kinda understandable, though extremely weird for me is that the companies won't let got their assets because of spent time and money (and licenses and other money stuff); but in the end, this is what slows them down (when starting new production) :D At least from the high-level perspective - everybody makes their own engine, tools, assets from scratch and this stuff is not easily compatible with outer world :( Then some random dudes and community members create some new amazing open-source stuff and the professionals adopt it like 5 to 10 years later after some major release when they are packed with money.

What's extremely weird about all that is that open-source often literally replaces the professional paid versions, doing (mostly) the same thing.

Stuff like new star wars trilogy is a horrible mess story-wise, though the budget was so high it even made emperor climb 30-years-falling deep hole for the check :D

Often you can pull the models from the game when you buy it. So giving a few models before, during or after release would be neat. This is nothing like giving away the source (source is all assets, not a single model and is likely not poseable either) and allows for not much more than fans who want to print some models and customize them. A purchased model is going to be higher quality in both materials and painting most of the time. It would be a nice extra for sure.

it could be super cool to make a huge "marketplace"...or something, where huge 3D companies could "open source" their assets. And I mean everything - like 3d models, music, cinematics, animations, code, UI elements, voiceovers,...

It could be like Quixel on steroids. It would power up the community to the skies and make the prototyping much easier for professionals.

The motivation for professionals could be that the platform would provide integration pipelines, asset organization...and stuff, so it could save plenty of time, money, and stress.

Prototyping random sci-fi scene could be (as simple as) dragging in some Quixel vegetations, star wars aliens and random non-human Skyrim NPCs and beasts from Avatar, then just put there black hole...or two from Interstellar. If Mixer would support these assets for some high-level customization - like repaint, change the size, randomness,... - it could be huge.

Though what could a system like this benefit from the most could be general tools, some stuff like Promethean AI. It would be awesome to have e.g. Spore character generator with all the clothing, colors, assets,... - from every possible 3D production.

My understanding is that we'll get to there.
The players in the industry will understand that the pros of such exchange places largely outweigh the cons. In term of creativity also.

What's kinda understandable, though extremely weird for me is that the companies won't let got their assets because of spent time and money (and licenses and other money stuff); but in the end, this is what slows them down (when starting new production) :D At least from the high-level perspective - everybody makes their own engine, tools, assets from scratch and this stuff is not easily compatible with outer world :( Then some random dudes and community members create some new amazing open-source stuff and the professionals adopt it like 5 to 10 years later after some major release when they are packed with money.

What's extremely weird about all that is that open-source often literally replaces the professional paid versions, doing (mostly) the same thing.

As with the rise of free software, opening assets is a mental journey that needs to be undertaken. Gaming companies are just not ready yet. Which is another reason why CDPR could get even more momentum. For now Epic Games is reaping those benefits in this trend quite alone with Quixel.

A purchased model is going to be higher quality in both materials and painting most of the time. It would be a nice extra for sure.
Yea, I see releasing models as a virtuous circle : both an incentive for the IP-owner merch department to keep delivering best-in-class quality, and a pedestal for increased sales.

It does not even need to be free. Free is the ethical way of doing it when a company dwells in cash-flow like CDPR is to be post-release, which is why I think it would make sense for them, given their foundational values.
But CDPR could even make money on those models, as evoked in the marketplace idea above.
For now there is a growing ecosystem of third-party vendors, who deliver nothing but subpar reverse-engineered assets which mostly suck. I mean, CDPR could literally eat this embryo market, make it its own and grow it.

I think that the counter-argument posted above, that "this is basically asking for free stuff", is irrelevant when you dig the subject.
I truly cannot find a reason why it should not be done, except pusillanimity and short-sighted strategic management.
Remembering a mod post I read somewhere in this forum, all I have to make a change is my wording, it is not stellar though I tried my very best ; yet the idea behind it looks rock solid.

Last edited:
I will somewhat put an end or a --solved tag to this thread.
I started having only heard of RedKit linked on the main site, and thinking CDPR had dropped modding support completely after W2.

I just discovered today (!) that CDPR has released an official modkit for W3. Quite some time after launch. It allows you to extract most(all?) of the 3D assets of the game and those can be imported in blender in a breeze! That is awesome!!!
(3D printing is just one easy step away from there!)
Capture d’écran de 2020-07-22 03-12-29.png

On the side, as I am also really interested by quests and the phase engine, the official modkit is pretty lackluster in that regard (and many others). Wolvenkit and Radish modding tools are doing a great job at extending the modding perimeter but it is still work in progress.

I swallow back some bad mouthing that I expressed recently towards CDPR.
They have much praise.

Even if I have issues with some endeavours -NVidia/DX12U, generally poor modding support... they did an awesome job on the current topic with W3.
I will come back complaining about this within a year or two after release, if they do not provide CP77 wcc_lite uncooking, be warned!

P.S. What the hell is wrong with hyperlinks and editing on this forum lol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom