CDPR: Free DLC early 2021

+
You got what you payed for, not necessarily what you wanted.

Well good to know there will always be some to defend the poor misunderstood corpos... im am sure the next game they make will shatter the 8 million preorder record! Since all of them got what they payed for! Console players included!
Post automatically merged:

Here's the thing. CDPR is either going to fix the game or not. Full stop.

This DLC has no incidence on that. Absolutely none.

To think the two are mutually exclusive is ridiculous. It's free stuff. Say thanks and keep doing what you're were doing.

Nope not gonna say thanks for that! I rather pay for a good working game and than pay for any and all DLC for that game than pay for a broken mediocre game to then get free stuff i do not care about!

According to the way you define an RPG, clearly CDPR defines it differently. And quite a lot of people agree with their definition.
For me an RPG is like (CRPG) New Vegas. Sure there is a lot of different types of CRPGs dungeon crawler, story driven,open world, this game CP2077 is the Fallot 4 type you have 4 yes dialog choices and that's all. The problem is that there are no factions, your acts does noting in the game world, yes sometimes you can choose 1 or two thing different but in the big picture the end is always the same.

Nope not gonna say thanks for that! I rather pay for a good working game and than pay for any and all DLC for that game than pay for a broken mediocre game to then get free stuff i do not care about!

That's just being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Again, the free DLC you (maybe) don't care about doesn't mean that the game won't be fixed in any way, shape or capacity. At best it's a small team dedicated to this and the larger team is working on fixing the game. At worst it's a small team dedicated to this while the larger team is moving on to expansions. Because CDPR will fix the game or they won't.

Complaining about free stuff is the height of absurdity.

Honestly, by looking at this thread, I'm getting more and more convinced that focusing so much on quality and catering to the player base so much, as CDPR is known for, is a terrible mistake from the business side of things, because you get so very little in return.

There is a reason why EA or Activision are so successful as companies... and that is, you can't build loyalty with customers in this business by delivering more than they need. Gamers are known to be very ungrateful, treat them too well and they always turn on you sooner or later. Best thing a quality developer can do, is to just sell the studio to EA or Activision while its prestige is still high.

As a gamer myself, I love playing games where quality truly matters, and so much effort is put into the game. But I'm fully aware that mediocrity is always awarded. When you produce one very ambitious game, and go "all in" with it instead of making three with lesser quality, but just "enough to get by", you take a lot of risky financial bets which are best avoided, and simply get yourself in a situation where you can't afford to fail. Players didn't liked 15 minutes of game? Strongly opposed a cavern level? Mocking the game produced funny memes in social media? The entire production can go to waste or become a niche kind of game.

Producing simple games in numbers always trump producing in quality, specially in a market where excess quality is easily overlooked or ignored, and first impressions or bandwagon reactions are much more important.

That's just being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Again, the free DLC you (maybe) don't care about doesn't mean that the game won't be fixed in any way, shape or capacity. At best it's a small team dedicated to this and the larger team is working on fixing the game. At worst it's a small team dedicated to this while the larger team is moving on to expansions. Because CDPR will fix the game or they won't.

Complaining about free stuff is the height of absurdity.

Complaining about free stuff is not what is happening here! Complaining about the state of the game is what happens... if you see a dumpster-fire and people are trying to put it out and then someone is putting nice pretty stickers on the still burning dumpster... are you telling me you would not question that persons mental faculties?
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, by looking at this thread, I'm getting more and more convinced that focusing so much on quality and catering to the player base so much, as CDPR is known for, is a terrible mistake from the business side of things, because you get so very little in return.

There is a reason why EA or Activision are so successful as companies... and that is, you can't build loyalty with customers in this business by delivering more than they need. Gamers are known to be very ungrateful, treat them too well and they always turn on you sooner or later. Best thing a quality developer can do, is to just sell the studio to EA or Activision while its prestige is still high.

As a gamer myself, I love playing games where quality truly matters, and so much effort is put into the game. But I'm fully aware that mediocrity is always awarded. When you produce one very ambitious game, and go "all in" with it instead of making three with lesser quality, but just "enough to get by", you take a lot of risky financial bets which are best avoided, and simply get yourself in a situation where you can't afford to fail. Players didn't liked 15 minutes of game? Strongly opposed a cavern level? Mocking the game produced funny memes in social media? The entire production can go to waste or become a niche kind of game.

Producing simple games in numbers always trump producing in quality, specially in a market where excess quality is easily overlooked or ignored, and first impressions or bandwagon reactions are much more important.

Or maybe do not make promises you do not intend on keeping... or can't keep... either way do note make people believe they are going to get one thing for their money and then deliver something inferior instead! That is the actual solution to the "problem" with us "entitled" customers!

Complaining about free stuff is not what is happening here! Complaining about the state of the game is what happens... if you see a dumpster-fire and people are trying to put it out and then someone is putting nice pretty stickers on the still burning dumpster... are you telling me you would not question that persons mental faculties?

So anyone who enjoys the game for what it is, is either insane or stupid?

Or maybe do not make promises you do not intend on keeping... or can't keep... either way do note make people believe they are going to get one thing for their money and then deliver something inferior instead! That is the actual solution to the "problem" with us "entitled" customers!

The talk about these promises is starting to move from feeling like a different take, to feeling like gaslighting.

I have looked at all the same promo material and have not seen any supposed promises that were not fulfilled.

Here, let me use your analogy in a better way.

Premise stays the same, dumpster fire and people trying to put it out.

Then comes along someone trying to put it out with a bucket of water. The fire clearly needs a firefighter level intervention but this guy is throwing buckets of water at it. It's not going to change a thing but it can't hurt. It can't be a bad thing in any way, yet, the people around are just yelling at him for trying to help with a bucket of water. They can't do shit themselves but they'll put down that guy trying to help no matter how ridiculous it is to attack him.

Now, you tell me who's mental faculties I should question?

I've finished the game after 62 hours of play and didn't encounter any major bug that broke the progress or any quest. Luckily I avoided the 8mb savefile bug as well.

This forum has became extremely populated with people with a bias of hate and complaint, and it doesn't represent the majority of the experiences with the game tho. Sure it's not the cRPG we were promised two years ago and I'm disappointed about that, but it's not a terrible game. I do have a thread about the silly glitches tho and they have been mostly funny to watch.

It also seems people fail to understand that quest designers, voice actors, art team, story writers, map designers, and so many other departments have nothing to do with bug fixing and game design improvement. It would be silly of any company to leave those doing nothing while the programmers are busy with bugs and what not.

Exactly, thank you!!!
The same people will complain later by saying "the industry is dead, they dont produce anything inovative or creative".

The talk about these promises is starting to move from feeling like a different take, to feeling like gaslighting.

I have looked at all the same promo material and have not seen any supposed promises that were not fulfilled.

Nope not stupid! Easily pleased i would say and i do genuinely envy everyone who is that way! If you actually looked at the same videos and are still perfectly fine with the way the game is and do not feel disappointed in any way, then there is literally nothing we have in common when it comes to this game! You perception of this game is so utterly different from mine we might as well exist in different universes! So yea... nothing to be gained from continuing this discussion since we are obviously incapable of even communicating in the same realm of comprehension. You see a good game... i see i tremendous disappointed and misleading advertisement... nothing more to add!

Exactly, thank you!!!
The same people will complain later by saying "the industry is dead, they dont produce anything inovative or creative".

Exactly.

They should have maybe milked the Witcher just after the Witcher 3 with a Witcher 4 featuring Ciri, with a brand new cash shop full of skins (because given how nudity is apparently a huge topic here I guess it would have selled VERY well with that character) with the exact same mechanics, a basic story (don't care, the Witcher was cool anyway), and the exact same animations and assets from The Witcher 3.
The game would have sold like hot cakes in 2018 thanks to how well Blood and Wine was received.
By now, they would be releasing The Witcher 5, where you play as a young Vesemir walking into a slightly different Novigrad (yeah, we updated a couple skins and animations here and there). Oh, but hey, that's new, you can travel to Zerrikania for one quest, it's a whole new world !
Oh, and next year, there would be a Witcher Online coming out, with the same maps already milked to the death, but now, you have to pay for more features ! The cool thing is, you could make your very own Witcher, a feature requested so many times !

Nah, CDPR chose the very easy way by making the switch from a 3rd person medieval RPG to a 1st person futuristic urban RPG... They were so lazy developing it, they forgot to put a cash shop in it !

(and that was sarcasm, cause I'm sure somebody will ask).

CP isn't perfect folks, but at least they went for something different and they took a shot and they have laid strong fondations and didn't go for the easy road most of the companies you compare them to would have taken. Cry about the studio all you want, about the free DLCs they could sell you with a side cash shop, but don't complain later if you end up with only FIFA , Madden, GTA 5 Online 2150 year special remake edition for the brand new playstation 57 and Destiny 6513413. Oh, and Assassin's Creed Origins of the Odyssey to Valhalla.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. CDPR is either going to fix the game or not. Full stop.

This DLC has no incidence on that. Absolutely none.

To think the two are mutually exclusive is ridiculous. It's free stuff. Say thanks and keep doing what you were doing.

Well...no. There is no free lunch. Finishing and working on a DLC takes resources, and those are resources that could otherwise be devoted to fixing the base game and/or adding missing features. If you choose to work on DLC, then you are prioritizing the resources that takes to that use, instead of fixing the base game. I'm assuming the DLC was largely finished before the game released, and that they are just tweaking it. But given the horrible launch PR, they are going to devote more than normal resources to make sure it's bug free.

Additionally, they will be introducing a DLC into a buggy code base. Nothing creates more bugs than adding additional code on top of broken code. If the majority of serious bugs are not removed before the DLC launches, there will be more bugs created. This is 100% certain.

I'm happy they are releasing free DLC, but the DLC is *not* separate from the original code base, and will interact with it in unpredictable ways if that code base is not stable (which it is not right now).

Here, let me use your analogy in a better way.

Premise stays the same, dumpster fire and people trying to put it out.

Then comes along someone trying to put it out with a bucket of water. The fire clearly needs a firefighter level intervention but this guy is throwing buckets of water at it. It's not going to change a thing but it can't hurt. It can't be a bad thing in any way, yet, the people around are just yelling at him for trying to help with a bucket of water. They can't do shit themselves but they'll put down that guy trying to help no matter how ridiculous it is to attack him.

Now, you tell me who's mental faculties I should question?

You do not throw water in a burning container that contains all sorts of chemicals and fat and oil... that might end very badly! Just to keep with that analogy!

By now, they would be releasing The Witcher 5, where you play as a young Vesemir walking into a slightly different Novigrad (yeah, we updated a couple skins and animations here and there). Oh, but hey, that's new, you can travel to Zerrikania for one quest, it's a whole new world !

Young Vesemir? No one wants that. Young Geralt.

TW5: Geralt's Origin. Get it? TW5: GO :ohstopit:

Where you get a few QTEs with Geralt as a kid. Going through the trials. Press "E" to survive type of deal. Then they release you into largely the same map as TW3 and call it going back to their roots.

Well...no. There is no free lunch. Finishing and working on a DLC takes resources, and those are resources that could otherwise be devoted to fixing the base game and/or adding missing features. If you choose to work on DLC, then you are prioritizing the resources that takes to that use, instead of fixing the base game. I'm assuming the DLC was largely finished before the game released, and that they are just tweaking it. But given the horrible launch PR, they are going to devote more than normal resources to make sure it's bug free.

Additionally, they will be introducing a DLC into a buggy code base. Nothing creates more bugs than adding additional code on top of broken code. If the majority of serious bugs are not removed before the DLC launches, there will be more bugs created. This is 100% certain.

I'm happy they are releasing free DLC, but the DLC is *not* separate from the original code base, and will interact with it in unpredictable ways if that code base is not stable (which it is not right now).

Perfectly aware of that. Yet, this is certainly a small team doing very small scale addition. To say this will affect the game's chances at getting better is absurd.

You do not throw water in a burning container that contains all sorts of chemicals and fat and oil... that might end very badly! Just to keep with that analogy!

Ok, let's stop this. You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

I've finished the game after 62 hours of play and didn't encounter any major bug that broke the progress or any quest. Luckily I avoided the 8mb savefile bug as well.

This forum has became extremely populated with people with a bias of hate and complaint, and it doesn't represent the majority of the experiences with the game tho. Sure it's not the cRPG we were promised two years ago and I'm disappointed about that, but it's not a terrible game. I do have a thread about the silly glitches tho and they have been mostly funny to watch.

It also seems people fail to understand that quest designers, voice actors, art team, story writers, map designers, and so many other departments have nothing to do with bug fixing and game design improvement. It would be silly of any company to leave those doing nothing while the programmers are busy with bugs and what not.
I only got it once and am not sure if it was the 8MB svae bug it's only deleted my progress I made but not whole of it...

I played it on PC and I played it before 1.6 patch in few days and I honestly did not experience major bugs that annoyed me or made me hate it...

And let's hope by the dlc launch or any expansion they would completely have terminated all the buggs... I know it's not easy but I don't think it ould be difficult task on CDpr!!

Nope not stupid! Easily pleased i would say and i do genuinely envy everyone who is that way! If you actually looked at the same videos and are still perfectly fine with the way the game is and do not feel disappointed in any way, then there is literally nothing we have in common when it comes to this game!

[...]

Look, I'm a simple* man, with a simple way to grade videogames. For every eddy I spend on a game, I expect to get a return of enjoyment. If it's one to one, a game is good. If it is more than that, the game is great.

While I won't disagree that the game is a diamond in the rough, it seems you only see the rough, while I see the diamond as well. 2077 is a platform that is already a great game, that will only get better from here.

* The way a sword is simple.

Some people are picky and only settle for going home with a 9 or a 10. Others are perfectly and completely satisfied if they go home with a 6 or a 7. So no, anyone completely satisfied with the game isn't necessarily insane or stupid. They just have different standards.

In terms of reports about free DLC early 2021... great. I guess my new years resolution is to hold my breath until April of next year.

Top Bottom