CDPR: Hope it's not unreasonable to ask, but why the difficulty in obtaining red mutagens?

+
CDPR: Hope it's not unreasonable to ask, but why the difficulty in obtaining red mutagens?

Got back to playing W3 and wow... game is still as good as I remember it. There is one thing still bothering be though. Something that I expected to get patched, and this was the horrid red mutagen drop rates.

Game got patched allright. Nerfs to farming areas for red mutagens, instead of what would have been more logical - a buff.

You obtain more than enough green and blue mutagens in the game simply by playing. There is no need (for most people) to actually start farming for them. Red mutagens are still extremely rare to the point of feeling silly.

So to the point, asking you CDPR directly hoping you can answer; Why did you feel the need to make red mutagens so incredibly frustrating to obtain? What is the logic behind this choice? Balance in a singleplayer is still good because if the game is too easy it gets boring (Igni nef was justified imo). But I don't see a reason why lesser red mutagens could not be more commonly dropped by mobs.

Sorry for the rant. But I'm really curious what the thought process was when it came to landing on this decision. I don't see it serving as anything but a headache for people. Imo it does not do the game or us gamers a service at all.

Edit: (Moderators), why did you move my post to suggestions? The purpose of this post was hoping for an official reply from CDPR to explain us, the community, why they decided to opt for making red mutagens so hard to obtain. It is clearly too late in the lifetime of the game for them to change their stance on this at this point so I'm not suggesting they fix it (gave that up a long time ago). I was merely hoping CDPR could be upfront with us on why they did it and what the reasoning/thought process was behind it. This is not a suggestion, merely a request.

Last edited:
CDPR don't typically respond to such questions in the forums, and this is just one of (probably) dozens of factors in balancing a game, I suspect there'd be no simple answer except "Because we didn't want it to get so easy it gets boring".

If you want to contact them direct to ask the question you may want to use the support form here:
http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

(And I'm not sure why you feel the need to farm them. Sure, they're fairly rare, but I've never experienced any problems with combat due to a lack of red mutagens. Is it some specific build you're trying for or problem you're encountering?)

Last edited:
I was selling surplusses of Reds after building a set of 4 greaters and all the decoctions that require them by mid game.
They are harder to gather than blue or green ones but are in no way hard to acquire while merely moving around the map.

Certain areas have a higher density of creatures that drop them in above average rates, and the drop rate spikes up with monsters above level 15-18 or something like that. But they are obtainable from quite early in the game.
Before they become available in larger quantities you can use the named varieties for skill enhancement while making the decoctions using the raw ones, then build the greater mutagens later - or vice versa. I found reliever's to be too useful to ignore though.

Top Bottom