CDPR Just Hired MODDERS to Help Fix Cyberpunk 2077 & Add Mod Support

+
Congrats to the newly hired, but I can only imagine what I'd feel like if the company I work for hired 4 semi-amateurs (no matter how good they are) to fix my mistakes...
That's one way to look at it, but given how little CDPR has improved the game, I see it as a net positive. Might as well hire people who know the engine and have a passion for the game. Plus this means a toolset is likely on its way.

Personally I'm highly ambivalent on this.

On the one hand, I love mods and while my own mod creation days are far behind me I highly enjoy tinkering with other modders' creations within my own PC.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that modders are the only way this game will ever achieve it's full potential. Considering CDPR's complete lack of communication and the discussions I've had with modders (in the few circles I still am part of) I have an ever increasing feeling that modders have a better understanding of what this game could've/should've been than CDPR's management. That's disappointing in my view.

Is this just for pc? Or will they be helping with the console versions as well?

This highly depends on what kind of mod support we're looking at and, most importantly, whatever agreement is struck between Microsoft/Sony and CDPR.

It's entirely possible as shown by SkyrimSE and Fallout 4 but whether that's the kind of mod support CDPR is aiming for is unknown at this point.

Some ideas, definitely yes (like customization) ;)
But with complete mod tool and full mod support in the game, those who want, can do it "easily and safely" and for those who don't want, they also can. It's the best for every one I think.
Exactly as Bethesda :)
If you want play vanilla game, you can.
If you want play with mods, but return to vanilla, you can.
And if you want an heavly modded game, you can.
(as easy as click on a button on main menu "disable/unable mods", it would be great)

Right, this could be the best decision CDPR has made for this game. Good will AND a better game. This could help to get them more than a few sips from Bethesda's watering hole.

The way I see it ?
The modders will help to devellop customisation, improvement and stuff like this, when the main staff will focus on DLC, and other story-driven improvement.
I think it's a win-win for all !
I think they cannot really work on DLC with stuff to correct.
Sometimes you just need more hands to work and a brand new look on the project... Cause the employees took too much hate, rage and all... They'll be able to breath a little bit.
Well, that's my thought. I hope the news employees will enjoy this experience and that we'll all benefit from it !

Suggesting that modders have been hired to "fix the game" is almost certainly an overstatement. It remains to be seen what actually comes of this, if anything.

CDPR has a long history of hiring modders and supporting mods. A long history that significantly pre-dates Cyberpunk 2077. They have talked many times about their appreciation for modders. They have talked many times about adding official mod handling to CP2077 and improving mod support. Pawel has talked at length on his stream about hiring modders, and CDPR's support of mods and plans to integrate mods into the game. This 'news' is not a surprise at all.

Last edited:
It's a positive sign that CDPR needs fresh blood and internal changes to get people who really know and love cyberpunk to improve the game, not a useless development team as it is now

This is really cool. The Wolvenkit folks will be able to implement some serious mod creation tools now that they don't have to reverse engineer everything. I don't think that there will be much immediate impact, but the long term impact of a Wolvenkit built by a team with full access to the game's internals will be massive.
Post automatically merged:

CDPR has a long history of hiring modders and supporting mods. A long history that significantly pre-dates Cyberpunk 2077. They have talked many times about their appreciation for modders. They have talked many times about adding official mod handling to CP2077 and improving mod support. Pawel has talked at length on his stream about hiring modders, and CDPR's support of mods and plans to integrate mods into the game. This 'news' is not a surprise at all.
I have to somewhat disagree with you. It is news in that it signals CDPR's commitment to re-establishing its roots, rather than whatever it was that we saw from them at the end of last year.

Ok, that's very good news but beware. This doesn't mean that we will get game changing mechanics, gameplay overhauls or anything like that. This could only guarantee better kits for modding and nothing else. I hope it is the former and not only the latter though.

While it's great that the modders are being acknowledged for all their great work, for me it just highlights the lack of talent and knowledge at CDPR. It shouldn't be necessary for modders to fix things the dev team should of been able to do before launch. For example, police AI and police chases. Seems like this was in the game before the day one patch, based on youtube footage I have seen, and the dev team just couldn't make it work, modders made it work though.

Just sad to see CDPR fall so far, not holding out any hope that Cyberpunk will ever be the game they advertised. Really hoping the missing features and content don't end up coming in a paid expansion, that would be the final nail in the coffin for CDPRs reputation!

Congrats to the newly hired, but I can only imagine what I'd feel like if the company I work for hired 4 semi-amateurs (no matter how good they are) to fix my mistakes...
The company they compose was hired by CDPR. They're talented programmers. I did some art work for the Wolvenkit, basically everybody on the team is a programmer except the art people.
Post automatically merged:

CDPR devs are talented, but management didn't give them enough time.

Last edited:
big? quick? I suggest you to not hold your breath...
I won't, I consider patch 1.3 the first big patch on pc (I still consider PlayStation versions not sufficient) and even though it just fixed minor things, it actually fixed them. It took them 9 months. Now, if we get a similar 1.4 in 4 months, that's quick for their standards in my book. Maybe, just maybe, these modders will implement amateur mods in cyberpunk officially, that would help a lot. Many things were improved on pc by mods in the first few weeks already, but not officially and not on consoles. I definitely don't expect any improvement in AI at all, if not in many years from now (and I don't think it's going to happen). No major designs overhaul for sure (like perks or looter shooter elements).
CDPR devs are talented, but management didn't give them enough time.
IMHO is a combination of what you say, coders with no experience of "living world AI" and game director/designers not having a clear vision from the beginning. Not even from half way through probably. But again, 100% speculating.

Last edited:
This is the best news for the game. Especially if that means being able to add custom content and script and not just replacing model & texture.
Can't wait to see what they'll do !

View attachment 11249803

Here's the screenshot for people who might not want to watch the video.

I'm not as optimistic as the video maker. I do not think they're hired to "to help fix the game". From this screenshot I can only guess that "backend work" along with "official mod support" could mean a few things.

My best guess is that either the tool will stay unofficial and they'll develop an entirely new tool with CDPR's help or they'll integrate Wolvenkit as an official tool. And "backend work" is something I guess means that they're either gonna work on making mods integrate better with the game itself -- or that mods can be even more expansive through altering the backend.

Less hacks, more official compatibility, that sort of stuff. I doubt they're gonna be doing much patch work. CDPR probably was already planning on doing something official with mods and this is just an easy integration for them.
That's about the size of it. People already getting themselves overhyped thanks to the influencers video and their expectations way above what was said, Even the title of this thread is misleading

They state they are working on backend and modding support. This suggests to me they are helping create the API. Modding support for quests, modding support for letting modders open up some of those blocked doors, etc not that they will be working on backend stuff like overhauling the graphics or game mechanics

Top Bottom