CDPR Just Hired MODDERS to Help Fix Cyberpunk 2077 & Add Mod Support

+
From what I read on the topic, somethings coming from this very forum where some code devs share their knowledge once in a while (for example some explaining how difficult it is to write well in C++ and thustly there are rare examples of devs writing well on this code, which I guess is the language the engine uses on its operating system) I can't shake the feeling that a lot of code was written by young developers coming into the company and during their learning process. Maybe the plan was to have a more senior developer correct lines of code before it made it into the game build, or before the game build would go into the next stage of development but to keep up with time maybe this plan didn't work and much of this not so well written code made it to the final game.
Tell me if this metaphor makes sense please coders out there:
Writen code as braided hair. So well written code are these solid, intertuined parallel hairs well stuck under the next column of hair and makes a perfect silluette of a braid. Whereas badly written code would be a braid that you recognize as a braid, it does its function of holding the hair in that shape but it has a lot of loose hairs that create a sort of force field around the braid. If you were to touch the good braid it only moves when the finger touches the central body but on the other one these loose hairs are on the way and you may even move the braid before touching it.
Haha sorry for the hair-trip.
All of this to say. CDPR may have a hard time finding new talent that would adapt well to the type of fixes the game would require at this time - not exactly cleaning code as it may be too much to do, but be adaptable as modders are in creating other type of solutions. Or the backend IS cleaning code.
Sorry I'm talking out of my ass here but hope the point I try to make is understandable.

We are working with Yigsoft on the development of Cyberpunk 2077 modding tools. The modding community has always been very important to us and we are happy to be working with them side by side on further expanding the tools which are available to modders.

Yea sounds like a great choice. Aint no easier way too get content into your game tbh. Hopefully the tools will be easy too use and good without having too bolt on too much(thinking scripting trough custom exe and other things). It might still come tho, but will probably be hard too get for consoles if they can get a deal on that with sony/microsoft. I see no real downside with it tbh, good choice!

Why ? If Bethesda managed to do it, why Cyberpunk can't welcome mods on console ?
Maybe not as many as on PCs, maybe not as "easy" as on PCs (due to limitations imposed by Sony/Microsoft) but anyway, I have hope to see some mods on consoles :)

Next gen, maybe, I don't know enough (or anything) about the streaming capabilities of next gen, but not PS4/XB1, simply because running the base game as-is flogs our old consoles to within an inch of their plastic lives. Throw added variables for the streaming buffers to keep track off into the existing equation and *crunch* is the only forseeable outcome. It's basically a miracle that the game runs at all on the old tech, best to just be thankful for that.

Next gen, maybe, I don't know enough (or anything) about the streaming capabilities of next gen, but not PS4/XB1, simply because running the base game as-is flogs our old consoles to within an inch of their plastic lives. Throw added variables for the streaming buffers to keep track off into the existing equation and *crunch* is the only forseeable outcome. It's basically a miracle that the game runs at all on the old tech, best to just be thankful for that.
It's for that on Bethesda games you have a little "warning" screen :)
"Using mods is at your own risk and may cause problems"
But simply "customization" mods, I don't think it will be a real problem, even on "old-gen" console. Especially if they are created with an "official" modding tool.

To be honest, I neither want or need mods. What I want is a game that functions properly and has all the features such a game is supposed to have from the get-go and not as some mods I have to manage. Great for PC players if they like mods, but for console, please just work on the next-gen version for now, please?

Why ? If Bethesda managed to do it, why Cyberpunk can't welcome mods on console ?
Maybe not as many as on PCs, maybe not as "easy" as on PCs (due to limitations imposed by Sony/Microsoft) but anyway, I have hope to see some mods on consoles :)
Because "trust me dude". We won't have mods on consoles... After all the shit CDPR has gone through to obtain a barely acceptable stability to get the game back on PS store, go figure if they want to risk additional performance issues with mods...

Anyway, my guess is as good as yours, feel free to be optimistic in this regard :)

To be honest, I neither want or need mods. What I want is a game that functions properly and has all the features such a game is supposed to have from the get-go and not as some mods I have to manage. Great for PC players if they like mods, but for console, please just work on the next-gen version for now, please?
One of the reasons they put it on another studio i guess, wont be as heavy to do with extra help.

Because "trust me dude". We won't have mods on consoles... After all the shit CDPR has gone through to obtain a barely acceptable stability to get the game back on PS store, go figure if they want to risk additional performance issues with mods...

Anyway, my guess is as good as yours, feel free to be optimistic in this regard :)
I hope they will make it availeble for all but as you say, time will tell. Im guessing it will be more complicated for consoles then for pc tho since it needs validation and so on. Hopefully they will keep the mods on PC free and not too controlled tho. Id rather not have another try at forced company run modplace and will probably skip it if that happends.

Publicity stunt at its finest.
The only thing that is going to change is that now, CDPR can officially say they took care of mods, and how they fulfilled player base desires adding "OFFICIAL" mod support. Which already exist, just isn't branded official yet.

If anything, we've lost another battle. It's not the community doing work on their own anymore, now it's under CDPRs coordination.

The players got a modkit rebrand, CDPR got a successful nad effective PR stunt, those 4 devs got a few bucks and a contracts that tells them to shut up.

I see this as an absolute.. loss

Ok, but I perfere to choose to "not trust you" in this case ;)
Knowing that about 45% of Cyberpunk players are on consoles and using mods on consoles always remain "at your own risk" (like on PCs, but for PC players it seem more obvious apparently...), so I see that like a great opportunity for democratize mods on consoles.
But yes, I'll stay positive and optimistic :)
"Oh, spirit of Night City, protect me from the negative waves from negative people"

It's not the community doing work on their own anymore, now it's under CDPRs coordination.
And in what world is this a negative thing?

Working with CDPR without a doubt means MUCH better access to resources, information, and whatever else is needed in creating modding tools.
Plus, the modders hardly would have agreed to this working together if they thought it would affect them negatively.

If it brings positive PR to CDPR (which naturally is a good thing) then it also brings positive attention to the modders involved. Both parties benefit, as do players who use the mod tools. Players who do not use them, whether by choice or because they cannot, are unaffected.

No one is negatively affected.
(Except people who believed the clickbait and are now disappointed by the truth -- but that's on them for trusting typical clickbait.)

It's for that on Bethesda games you have a little "warning" screen :)
"Using mods is at your own risk and may cause problems"
But simply "customization" mods, I don't think it will be a real problem, even on "old-gen" console. Especially if they are created with an "official" modding tool.

Time will tell. Please don't think me negative though, I'm merely one of them pesky realists, anything else is basically mental imbalance.

I'd also remind everyone that this is not particularly new: CDPR has drawn on talent from the modding community before. There are currently a few former modders -- who created independent projects for The Witcher games -- who are now senior developers at the studio.

Just like I said on Twitter, I'm proud of CDPR for doing this. Not only does it mean they fully support the modding community, it also means that they are striving to make their game better (it was already great for me imo).

Massive thumbs up to CDPR and congrats to those who were added to the roster!

Top Bottom