CDPR should pay attention to the weight of Geralt, his swords, his horse, and gravity

+
CDPR should pay attention to the weight of Geralt, his swords, his horse, and gravity

I have played many games, even AAA titles, where the concept of weight and gravity have not been implemented effectively. The most annoying part is when the main character runs, he doesn't move as though he weighs more than 100 pounds. The player does not see and feel the impact of the main character's steps, and it feels like the character is paper like. This gets worse when the main character jumps; and since The Witcher 3 is open world and jumping is confirmed, I hate to see this issue happen to the Witcher 3. I'd like to see a natural jump, and the following impact for example Geralt's knees bending or even him having to put his hands on the ground to keep his balance. One of the good examples where you can really feel the weight of the character among other things is Red Dead Redemption. Even when Marston is walking or jumping, the player can feel that the weight and gravity is at works. Another example would be in the Uncharted 3 when you jump Drake uses his hands to reduce the impact of the fall.
These are small details that go a long way in my opinion.

I agree. Although there is a certain discomfort and clumsiness that came with it. For instance attempting to position yourself at the edge of a rooftop could result in you falling because the movement of your character weren't that precise. However, I never had the issue with Geralt simply because he stopped at the edge of any cliff in both games. I am perfectly consent with those invisible borders because I don't need the freedom to plunge myself and die.

I have played many games, even AAA titles, where the concept of weight and gravity have not been implemented effectively. The most annoying part is when the main character runs, he doesn't move as though he weighs more than 100 pounds. The player does not see and feel the impact of the main character's steps, and it feels like the character is paper like. This gets worse when the main character jumps; and since The Witcher 3 is open world and jumping is confirmed, I hate to see this issue happen to the Witcher 3. I'd like to see a natural jump, and the following impact for example Geralt's knees bending or even him having to put his hands on the ground to keep his balance. One of the good examples where you can really feel the weight of the character among other things is Red Dead Redemption. Even when Marston is walking or jumping, the player can feel that the weight and gravity is at works. Another example would be in the Uncharted 3 when you jump Drake uses his hands to reduce the impact of the fall.

I like your ideas very much.

I agree. Although there is a certain discomfort and clumsiness that came with it. For instance attempting to position yourself at the edge of a rooftop could result in you falling because the movement of your character weren't that precise. However, I never had the issue with Geralt simply because he stopped at the edge of any cliff in both games. I am perfectly consent with those invisible borders because I don't need the freedom to plunge myself and die.

Aaa...
It's a wonderful feeling of free falling and crashing...
You don't share these feeling, apparently.

I would very much like to see a RED member approving comment on this. It is brilliant!

It will feel realistic, we can associate that he is not Assassin's creed character. It will add more in the atmosphere but yes - it will be stupid to fall all the time :D

Red Dead Redemption was a close to a perfect game, IMO. The level of detail put into that game was amazing.

I don't want Geralt bumbling about like a pregnant walrus, so no, Rockstar games are not a good example of this. They sacrifice responsive movement and gameplay for their version of realism. Geralt is a witcher, he should move like a witcher, not some poor excuse for a stereotype like Nico Bellic or whoever the fuck it is in RDR who runs around like he's got a stump shoved up his ass. Why people keep citing Rockstar for good gameplay boggles my mind.

Killzone 2 had a great weight to movement, weapons and jumping, especially for a first person game. Don't know what the new FPS are like but I know that the jumping in Skyrim is just horrendous in first person

I do not think that weights and balances should be a priority for this game. In a simulated world, there are always choices of what you simulate and what you don't.

To my thinking, there are two criteria that have to be met in order to include a feature, even if it is suitable for the player character (for example, buying houses is right out for Geralt).

It should make a difference to the way you play the character. Weight that affects Geralt's performance certainly meets that criterion

But it should also be a feature that the player can control by playing the character in a reasonable way. I believe Geralt's world does not and should not meet that criterion. In his world, he has no place he can call home and no motivation to burden himself with loot he cannot carry easily and turn into ready money. Nor is there, or should there be, anything like an abundance of legendary armors and weapons that he should collect.

In short, weights and balances should not be implemented, because it would have little meaning for a reasonably played Geralt in a reasonably provisioned world.

People talking about Geralt being natural in his movements but what they forgetting is there is nothing natural about him. He is ass-kicking superhuman with wicked speed. :)

I do not think that weights and balances should be a priority for this game. In a simulated world, there are always choices of what you simulate and what you don't.

To my thinking, there are two criteria that have to be met in order to include a feature, even if it is suitable for the player character (for example, buying houses is right out for Geralt).

It should make a difference to the way you play the character. Weight that affects Geralt's performance certainly meets that criterion

But it should also be a feature that the player can control by playing the character in a reasonable way. I believe Geralt's world does not and should not meet that criterion. In his world, he has no place he can call home and no motivation to burden himself with loot he cannot carry easily and turn into ready money. Nor is there, or should there be, anything like an abundance of legendary armors and weapons that he should collect.

In short, weights and balances should not be implemented, because it would have little meaning for a reasonably played Geralt in a reasonably provisioned world.
We are talking about literal physical weight of the character that should factor into the animations of his walking, running, and jumping. I don't really know how looting and buying houses factors in this ?
I don't see how the way you play would affect how much Geralt would weigh and the earth's gravity acting on him.

People talking about Geralt being natural in his movements but what they forgetting is there is nothing natural about him. He is ass-kicking superhuman with wicked speed. :)
I understand that, and I personally believe that Geralt should be able to move and wield a sword faster than a human since he is a mutant; but he is not Superman. Gravity still works on him like a regular human. I'm referring to good motion capture when it comes down to jumping, climbing stairs, and walking or running. For example in many games including Witcher 2 the animation for running, climbing the stairs, and running uphill or downhill are the same; while few games have separate animations for climbing stairs, and running uphill or downhill. When someone is running uphill, they lean forward, the knees get bent, and sometimes they would need to use their hands to help them run uphill. climbing the stairs require the bending of knees unlike walking or running on a flat surface, so if separate motion captures are done the game would feel more realistic.
He can run faster than regular humans, but we should still feel his weight and the way he uses his weight to balance himself.

Last edited:
It seems they're going to implement the gravity effect. some ideas of TW3 gameplay was used in FCR 2 and heavy armors have damage penalty. that's as far as TW2 can go. apart from jumping dynamics, I think heavy load should also take its toll.

I understand that, and I personally believe that Geralt should be able to move and wield a sword faster than a human since he is a mutant; but he is not Superman. Gravity still works on him like a regular human. I'm referring to good motion capture when it comes down to jumping, climbing stairs, and walking or running. For example in many games including Witcher 2 the animation for running, climbing the stairs, and running uphill or downhill are the same; while few games have separate animations for climbing stairs, and running uphill or downhill. When someone is running uphill, they lean forward, the knees get bent, and sometimes they would need to use their hands to help them run uphill. climbing the stairs require the bending of knees unlike walking or running on a flat surface, so if separate motion captures are done the game would feel more realistic.
He can run faster than regular humans, but we should still feel his weight and the way he uses his weight to balance himself.

Word :)

He trained just as Floyd Maywhether/Pacquiado/Tyson to have the swiftness. And yes, he still takes potions to boost himself before every combat

Top Bottom