CDPR, show us how you can legitimately use the monster deck to counter against NR.

+
CDPR, show us how you can legitimately use the monster deck to counter against NR.

Even without all the weather nerfing, it is and has been extremely hard for monsters to counter against NR due to 1) monster's generally low base value 2) heavy armors on NR units 3) tons of removal units for NR. Now, with the double nerf of Wild Hunt Hound and Carathir, just show us, how you can play monster ever against NR? Just how?

If you say "monster" you are talking about Eredins frost deck?
This is a beginner deck, it is not in a higher tier list.
I play elder nekker consume (No harpys) and it is very easy to beat NR.
Milfgaards Tripleplay of Peter saar, Sweers or Auckes. THATS an issue :/

greetings

Malus_Grey i am an eredin rank 15 player just saying. NR matchups are the hardest and now with the nerfing of frost and wildhunt hounds they killed the deck almost completely.
aretuza adept (NR bronze card) : 4 strength and can spawn any weather effect.

wildhunt hound ( Monsters Bronze card) : 4 strength and spawns only frost.

That is some good balancing right here!

In general: You shouldnt compare 2 creatures of 2 different factions and call it balance because balance means the meta game, not single creatures.
But you are right at some point. Decks like eredin or dagon wich are supposed to play it as a weather deck are much weaker then some none weather related decks because of those cards. I dont like it either and i hope for some drastic changes on the weather system.

For example: How is fog and rain able to deal damage and what have all these weather effects to do with the witcher franchise?
As is remember there are 2 "weathers" in the witcher wich can actually kill you. The great frost and RNR. Nothing else. Casting a storm from skellige on a battlefield and on a single "row"? WHAT? This whole crap just doesnt make any sense. It never made much sense but it was an easy way to think of, to get some special cards in the original gwent. But all of this weather nonesense makes this game much worse then it should be.

Last edited:
eredin is dead, was hard to play versus NR before, now is suicide
PS. aretuza i 5point with foltest

Karajorma;n9065920 said:
What are you playing instead of harpies then?

Ghouls. Ghouls + Vran = Double consume counter.
They are good vs. skellige Decks and not as much vurnable to weather.

Was thinking to switch to swarm deck with iris, but they buffed trebuchets so crap...

Michelazz;n9064200 said:
aretuza adept (NR bronze card) : 4 strength and can spawn any weather effect.
wildhunt hound ( Monsters Bronze card) : 4 strength and spawns only frost.
That is some good balancing right here!

Areztusa summons a RANDOM bronze weather.. So if you want to be consistent you will include only one kind of weather in the deck.. Also, none of the bronze weathers can synergize with other cards in NR.. As far as frost goes you have Imlerith and Nithral.. So yeah.. it's balanced..! :)

What do you do in the first round when there is nothing in the graveyard yet? I can see the value of the strategy in later rounds though.

Malus_Grey;n9064080 said:
If you say "monster" you are talking about Eredins frost deck?
This is a beginner deck, it is not in a higher tier list.
I play elder nekker consume (No harpys) and it is very easy to beat NR.
Milfgaards Tripleplay of Peter saar, Sweers or Auckes. THATS an issue :/

greetings

Best balancing argument ever. I hereby demand rot tossers, vicovarro medics etc be nerfed to oblivion. Say "No" to anything good that appears in starter decks!

Former Patch:

As a (now former) lv21 rank 15 Eredin Frost player myself, yeah NR was the toughest matchup (why? armor it counters Frost extremely well)

The trick to beat NR Armor is simple, adapt to your weaknesses and make them your own. I used to play Immune Boost and Overdose (the old one) in my deck. not just against NR, but against any deck, it's uncommon and people don't expect it. and it works rather well with the frost engine. it's also very strong in a mirror matchup.

Like in real warfare when two opposing sides are battling it out in the trenches, rain or frost causing strain on the troops endurance and stamina. the same applies in gwent. I simply took NR's strength and made it my own.

try to think outside the box ;)

Current Patch:

Don't play Eredin Frost at all, the engine is dead. Against NR it's just suicide. not even my tactics can salvage that matchup

Go with Consume.

Last edited:
My swarm deck work fine, but NR was nerfed too a bit :)
Imuneboost seems great idea cuz trebuchets and arezuta make life hard.
I hate Thaler+cavalery combo, fu**** OP

Pruny;n9074890 said:
Was thinking to switch to swarm deck with iris, but they buffed trebuchets so crap...

Iris is very underrated, she works very well with the monster archetype. Used to work well with Frost/Fog, Savage bear hitting her as well since she's played from hand.
Caretaker her round 3 for another power swing. If you have a solid Arachas setup in your consume deck, that's a lot of value.

Experiment a bit

DarkShuyin;n9083200 said:
Iris is very underrated, she works very well with the monster archetype. Used to work well with Frost/Fog, Savage bear hitting her as well since she's played from hand.
Caretaker her round 3 for another power swing. If you have a solid Arachas setup in your consume deck, that's a lot of value.

Experiment a bit

Ive used to do this in CB and it workes extremely well.
But whats with weather decks?
In my experience swarm doesnt stand a chance against the new weather cards...
Harpy eggs and arachas with 3 power are gone in no time, mostly without any chance to boost them.

ST, Milfgaard ... locks over locks and weather spam as well.
How to beat them?

Last edited:
DarkShuyin i am a level 21 rank 15 with an eredin deck myself. We need to discuss how we can counter the new patch! Do you think i should ditch my favourite leader in the whole game?

Michelazz;n9088740 said:
DarkShuyin i am a level 21 rank 15 with an eredin deck myself. We need to discuss how we can counter the new patch! Do you think i should ditch my favourite leader in the whole game?

I used Eredin Frost yesterday post patch and had a relatively high win rate even against NR. Maybe because people all removed their weather clearing units.

wildkeny i tried my eredin deck today in casual mode and was humiliated 3 games in row. So now i switched to consume. I am still on casual to practice it and than i'll go back to playing ranked.

Top Bottom