CDPR stock goes down 14% today

+

Do you agree with the points in question?

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Some but not all.

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
But it went down something like 12-14% yesterday to a 2019 levels.
For real? Then, I guess the press campaign of feigned outrage has been successfully damaging to the company. I hope that people don't follow suit and sell theirs too.

I'm not sure how short stocking works exactly, but could the company be a victim of an attempt to do that? As far as I understand, how it works is some investment company somehow ends up promising to pay back some amount of the specific stock as collateral on a loan, but meanwhile they sell the collateral, so they have to make the stock drop in price before the owing date in order to buy it back cheaper than what it was collateral for.

I'm no financial/stocks expert though. All I know for sure is that something is very corrupt with all the gaming journalism companies, as well as Sony, for having this dramatic campaign against the game, and timed immediately upon game release.

- Focus your team entirely on not just fixing the game but also adding things.
I think they are, DLC's are being worked on as we speak as it's shown in roadmap they're promising DLC content throughout 2021.

- Communicate with your consumers what you are adding and not just fixes, literally tell us what we can expect.
The problem is that they can't really promise when stuff is going to be ready until it's very close to finish. That's what got them in so much trouble building up hype.

- Apologizing means nothing without something along with the apology, something needs to be added.
What you want them to do? I don't remember this much outcry when Bethesda released Skyrim and it occasionally had like 0fps spikes on old gen consoles. People are already in so much frenzy from them even mentioning about old gen console performance.

- Stop dismissing people who have actual concerns.
Wasn't that the point of apologies? That they didn't expect the reaction to be so negative and they are apologizing for people having bad experience.

- Stop excusing the performance of the game on old tech such as ps4 etc.
How are they excusing it? They've been saying they're working on bringing old consoles more up to speed.

Like I didn't hear Nintendo making a press release about saying how poorly BotW run on WiiU, and I played it through occasionally dropping below 15fps in more than 3 enemies in screen.

- Let the people who worked on the game who were right abut the concerns of the state of the game be in charge, not whoever decided to launch it like this.
Yeah not so sure about that. It depends entirely on person. Sometimes these romanticized ideas of peasants turning into kings doesn't really end up that rosy in the end, and you're just replacing "a devil" with another.

i think part of the blame goes to a lot of the critics of Witcher 3 who gave it 10/10 even though it took out a year to get rid of the most prevalent bugs, so they actually thought that people would love Cyberpunk 2077 due to how the previous title was received despite it's technical flaws.

I think they've learned their lesson and if not then it should be up to the investors to pressure them to have a proper test team, and even contact a lot of people outside their bubble to test out the game and give their honest feedback focus on fixing them before the next release.
Post automatically merged:

CP MP was canceled. There were no detailed informations about future DLCs or games. Etc.

No need for conspiracy theories
I think that's not entirely true.

They just said they'll be announcing 1 year plans rather than 5 year plans from now on (maybe partly because of how much hate they did receive during 2020).

They didn't say they'll cancel the multiplayer, but that they'll be working "multiplayer aspects" in their AAA titles, probably similar way it was done in GTA 5, instead of attempting to create a separate title.

So I don't think there was anything lost really. More like a reality check than anything else.

Last edited:
I think that's not entirely true.

They just said they'll be announcing 1 year plans rather than 5 year plans from now on (maybe partly because of how much hate they did receive during 2020).

They didn't say they'll cancel the multiplayer, but that they'll be working "multiplayer aspects" in their AAA titles, probably similar way it was done in GTA 5, instead of attempting to create a separate title.

So I don't think there was anything lost really. More like a reality check than anything else.

It does not matter what you think is true in this case. It does not matter what I think is true. What matters is how the investors reacted to patch 1.2 and strategy update. And the reaction was bad.

They did not like that the promised standalone MP game had been canceled (I never asked for CP MP, so I really don't care). They did not like that CDPR had not given us more detailed information about W4 (I did not mind it). They did not like that there was no detailed roadmap for CP 2077 DLCs and expansions (I was not surprised). And they did not like the content of patch 1.2 (neither did I).

That's what market analysts say:

"Strategię oceniamy negatywnie. Przede wszystkim strategia nie jest sprecyzowana w czasie, ani nie odnosi się do planów przyszłych gier na kolejne lata. Jest w naszym odczuciu mocno ogólnikowa i pokazuje tylko krótkoterminową perspektywę produktową, która powinna być dla rynku rozczarowaniem: brak płatnego dodatku do 'Cyberpunk 2077' w tym roku, brak zapowiedzi co do powstawania 'Cyberpunk' online jako oddzielnego produktu i brak odniesienia liczby projektów w dłuższym terminie do założeń programu motywacyjnego" - napisał Kacper Koproń w porannym komentarzu Trigon DM.
Source:
CD Projekt Strategy Not Impressive

More information here:
Analysts On CDP Strategy

I agree with the latter article. IMHO there were some positive informations in CDPR presentation (e.g. the shift from waterfall to agile model). I believe that the company somehow learned its lesson from the problematic CP2077 release. But it seems that many investors were not pleased.

Last edited:
I wonder what exactly do investors want from Cyberpunk?Returning the cut content? Expansion of the game? Or just bringing the game back to the ps store?I wonder how much the players opinion is important for CDPR?I am on the side of the developers,I really hope that they will be treated better. They are really talented,my heart is with them, but not with the bosses,sorry.

Last edited:
For real? Then, I guess the press campaign of feigned outrage has been successfully damaging to the company. I hope that people don't follow suit and sell theirs too.

I'm not sure how short stocking works exactly, but could the company be a victim of an attempt to do that? As far as I understand, how it works is some investment company somehow ends up promising to pay back some amount of the specific stock as collateral on a loan, but meanwhile they sell the collateral, so they have to make the stock drop in price before the owing date in order to buy it back cheaper than what it was collateral for.

I'm no financial/stocks expert though. All I know for sure is that something is very corrupt with all the gaming journalism companies, as well as Sony, for having this dramatic campaign against the game, and timed immediately upon game release.
They are the one to blame for stock falling. The victims are the gamers who got duped into buying unfinished garbage.
Delivering one of the most embarrassing game release ever.
Its like they wanted to surpass Tod Howard and his Fallout 76.

One thing I find particularly absurd at this point is CDPR continually trotting out the term 'AAA development'. In most ways Cyberpunk is the opposite of a AAA title. It's a game full of half baked, cheap solutions and a severe lack of polish. It was rushed out the door and I suspect most investors can see that. In reality, TW3 suffered the same problem, albeit on a much smaller scale. Sooner or later they have to live up to the talk.

I like their goal to be a top 3 studio. Also cancelling the multiplayer was inevitable. It was plenty clear that they don't have the resources or expertise to do it. I bought the dip and am long cdpr. Can't say I was happy the way Cyberpunk was launched, but I hope they learn from their mistakes. Cyberpunk and Witcher are solid IP's to build on.

I wonder what exactly do investors want from Cyberpunk?Returning the cut content? Expansion of the game? Or just bringing the game back to the ps store?I wonder how much the players opinion is important for CDPR?I am on the side of the developers,I really hope that they will be treated better. They are really talented,my heart is with them, but not with the bosses,sorry.

Investors wants to invest so they want to put some money and have a good return in some period of time. For that to happen, company has to show how they want to make a profit and this is where things go south a bit. Key points are:
CDP doesnt know when if ever CP2077 will be available in PS store. "We believe that with 1.2 patch we are getting closer" is really admitting that they dont know. That means less profit for CDP.
Expansions of a game for this year will be freeware which is definitely nothing sexy for investors. Yes it could bring some traction for CP but nothing significant.
No info about current CP2077 sells combined with a prognosis of key analist that number will be much lower than expected.
No multiplayer game soon - this is where a lof of money is so this is probably one of a most important reasons why stock went down.
Shorter marketing campaigns - knowing that there will be no new game soon, means not much hype which would create movement and get stock to the roof again.

Basically those are things which made them not happy. Which is also not a disaster - right now stock value is very unstable and its rreally not possible to predict how it will look like in next couple of months. Its really rollercoster now. But examples from above shows that people dont see potential for making a great profit at least in a year and prefer to put money in other places. This is not a tragedy for CDP - many of their moves makes sense and will pay back in a longer period (changing structure of a whole production) of time, but company was in defensive from december of 2020 and people expected ambitious plan to retake iniciative. What they got was very conservative approach.

Also lets not forget that sotck market seen a lot of companies with even greater value who crash hard and vanished in a week, so lets not misunderstand stock value with company`s real potential. Of course it will make things more difficult for them.

Investors wants to invest so they want to put some money and have a good return in some period of time. For that to happen, company has to show how they want to make a profit and this is where things go south a bit. Key points are:
CDP doesnt know when if ever CP2077 will be available in PS store. "We believe that with 1.2 patch we are getting closer" is really admitting that they dont know. That means less profit for CDP.
Expansions of a game for this year will be freeware which is definitely nothing sexy for investors. Yes it could bring some traction for CP but nothing significant.
No info about current CP2077 sells combined with a prognosis of key analist that number will be much lower than expected.
No multiplayer game soon - this is where a lof of money is so this is probably one of a most important reasons why stock went down.
Shorter marketing campaigns - knowing that there will be no new game soon, means not much hype which would create movement and get stock to the roof again.

Basically those are things which made them not happy. Which is also not a disaster - right now stock value is very unstable and its rreally not possible to predict how it will look like in next couple of months. Its really rollercoster now. But examples from above shows that people dont see potential for making a great profit at least in a year and prefer to put money in other places. This is not a tragedy for CDP - many of their moves makes sense and will pay back in a longer period (changing structure of a whole production) of time, but company was in defensive from december of 2020 and people expected ambitious plan to retake iniciative. What they got was very conservative approach.

Also lets not forget that sotck market seen a lot of companies with even greater value who crash hard and vanished in a week, so lets not misunderstand stock value with company`s real potential. Of course it will make things more difficult for them.
Thanks for the answer. I wish CDPR the best in their work

actions speak louder than words. i will believe it when i see it with my own eyes.

They're still working on their last release four months later, consistently, regardless of the roadblocks - and they were severe, there's no sign of them stopping or slowing down, in fact the contrary.

I'd say proof enough, and coincidently consistent with their modus operandi since their first ever released project.

I mean if you appreciated CDPR up until now, there's no reason to give up because of a misstep, there were many up until today so there's nothing new there.

They're still working on their last release four months later, consistently, regardless of the roadblocks - and they were severe, there's no sign of them stopping or slowing down, in fact the contrary.
There's no sign of something significant either. The only improvements they made are bugfixes, and the game is still half-baked. There's also no official info about DLCs or any content improvements.
I mean if you appreciated CDPR up until now, there's no reason to give up because of a misstep
There is. CDPR are not a creative commune, it's a large money-making company. If they decide that fixing a rushed and broken game is unprofitable, they won't do it.

What I'm afraid of is that they'll give up on the rest of bugs, release some story related DLCs and say "we're sorry, it's time to move on, we'll never do that again".

Last edited:
There's no sign of something significant either. The only improvements they made are bugfixes, and the game is still half-baked. There's also no official info about DLCs or any content improvements.

There is. CDPR are not a creative commune, it's a large money-making company. If they decide that fixing a rushed and broken game is unprofitable, they won't do it.

Not any more or any less than their previous releases for me personally, had just as much entertainment and frustration playing their previous games.

As for the money making part, it's not mutually exclusive and their games were never perfect but that's not why I buy them.

Not any more or any less than their previous releases for me personally, had just as much entertainment and frustration playing their previous games.
CP2077 is objectively worse performed than their previous games. Too much of cheap design solutions, roughly cut content and underdelivered promises. That's in high contrast with their previous games, which were more primitive but better built.

Yeah, the story is great and it pushed the scenario standards even further, but the game is not only a story itself.
As for the money making part, it's not mutually exclusive and their games were never perfect but that's not why I buy them.
See above.

CP2077 is objectively worse performed than their previous games. Too much of cheap design solutions, roughly cut content and underdelivered promises. That's in high contrast with their previous games, which were more primitive but better built.

Seriously?

I disagree, but I can see why you would think that considering all of their games received massive technical updates and redesigns over the course of their life time.

Bare in mind this company had absolutely no experience with first person shooters, sandbox type gameplay and AI design based on such a thing, and driving mechanics what so ever.

I don't want to push this argument any further since that wasn't my point to begin with, but I'm sure things will keep improving, the hype both from fans and from CDPR itself was the downfall of this release a bit of humility would have went a long way.

There's no doubt that they will turn it around and get back on track, it's not a lost cause and the stocks will reflect that.

Top Bottom