CDPR stock goes down 14% today

+

Do you agree with the points in question?

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Some but not all.

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Seriously?

I disagree, but I can see why you would think that considering all of their games received massive technical updates and redesigns over the course of their life time.

Bare in mind this company had absolutely no experience with first person shooters, sandbox type gameplay and AI design based on such a thing, and driving mechanics what so ever.

I don't want to push this argument any further since that wasn't my point to begin with, but I'm sure things will keep improving, the hype both from fans and from CDPR itself was the downfall of this release a bit of humility would have went a long way.

There's no doubt that they will turn it around and get back on track, it's not a lost cause and the stocks will reflect that.
i hope so i really do. some people i know think cdpr is slowly becoming like EA and all the others.

Bare in mind this company had absolutely no experience with first person shooters, sandbox type gameplay and AI design based on such a thing, and driving mechanics what so ever.
The problem is that I actually liked the gunplay and driving -- initially the most doubtful features. The things they have actually failed seemed much more trivial to me -- mostly hacking, basic AI and contextual animations.

And yes, I remember W2 and W3 launches. CP2077 was definitely much worse. Actually, that's one of the (if not the) most disappointing digital game launches ever, since people kept in mind '18 and '19 demos, and were massively overhyped by the aggressive PR. I was more resistant to hype, but still was disappointed by cheap hacking, stealth, moronic AI and a ton of bugs.

I have no doubt they will release a lot of DLCs, but I doubt they will:
- Redesign hacking to make it less of a no-brainer
- Redesign the awful skill tree
- Make stealth more profound and less abusive
- Make NPCs smart
- Add more activities with romanced NPCs
That would correspond to redesigning of half of a game.

People start to believe in magic again, I see.

Last edited:
Seriously?

I disagree, but I can see why you would think that considering all of their games received massive technical updates and redesigns over the course of their life time.

I don't want to push this argument any further since that wasn't my point to begin with, but I'm sure things will keep improving, the hype both from fans and from CDPR itself was the downfall of this release a bit of humility would have went a long way.

There's no doubt that they will turn it around and get back on track, it's not a lost cause and the stocks will reflect that.
given how human nature operates companies/big corpo's will often go for the quick and easy way/path of least resistance (which usually most likely fails in the end due to the fact that they dont realize how difficult it really is, get bored/tired then proceed to shut it all down without learning very much from the entire experience) instead of the long road. but time will tell i guess

Last edited:
@Radiant_Dawn

Perhaps, we'll see, but we're way off topic now.

given how human nature operates companies/big corpo's will often go for the quick and easy way/path of least resistance (which usually most likely fails in the end due to the fact that they dont realize how difficult it really is, get bored/tired then proceed to shut it all down without learning very much from the entire experience) instead of the long road. but time will tell i guess

Sure, they've actually tried going that route (debatable but for the sake of argument) back in December and only gained a fraction of the potential profits coming from such a mega PR campaign, so that counts as a spectacular failure considering the Rep damage and the investment behind said machine.

Lessons to be learned, and it seems to me that they're slowly backing down from that path and committing to a long-term game plan of expansion and garnering good will, instead of the opposite as you're suggesting, dropping their newest IP and going back to the Witcher franchise for an arguably quicker buck and easier marketing venture.

Based on their past history, they will at the least try and get the product into a presentable state across the board (it will not be a complete redesign as the user above you is hoping) and expand upon it slowly repairing their public image and stock value in the process.

You'd be surprised how profitable this new IP can become and how many fans it already has even after this ''massive'' blunder.

@Radiant_Dawn

Sure, they've actually tried going that route (debatable but for the sake of argument) back in December and only gained a fraction of the potential profits coming from such a mega PR campaign, so that counts as a spectacular failure considering the Rep damage and the investment behind said machine.

Lessons to be learned, and it seems to me that they're slowly backing down from that path and committing to a long-term game plan of expansion and garnering good will, instead of the opposite as you're suggesting, dropping their newest IP and going back to the Witcher franchise for an arguably quicker buck and easier marketing venture.

Based on their past history, they will at the least try and get the product into a presentable state across the board (it will not be a complete redesign as the user above you is hoping) and expand upon it slowly repairing their public image and stock value in the process.

You'd be surprised how profitable this new IP can become and how many fans it already has even after this ''massive'' blunder.
given how the industry is behaving now i have learned after the cp2077 mess to keep my expectations scraping rock bottom low so as to be not disappointed later.

This point easily gets lost in these discussions - while I'm dead certain CDPR hired a lot of people with vast experience designing these gameplay elements on other games in other game engines, the Red Engine is a proprietary engine, which means CDPR had to build all of these gameplay elements from scratch when they began development on Cyberpunk 2077 in mid-2016, since the engine had never been used to make a game with these gameplay elements before.

Retooling a game engine to this extent while simultaneously building a game with it is a bit like trying to sail a ship that hasn't finished being built.

they brought it ALL on themselves, and further shows that "the witcher 3" was luck on their part

I think investors want to see concrete things. The video showed a lot about their plans to change the way they develop games, their plans about expanding on IPs, their plans to change their development workflow, and so on... But they talked very little about actual games, DLCs and, you know, things the investors are interested investing in. They wanted them to show dates, names, content. Too bad that was exactly the reason why CDPR got themselves into trouble in the first place, by showing too much and too early. Now they are much more cautious, but maybe TOO much...? They actually talked a lot about The Witcher: Monster Slayer... Honestly, i don't think that's exactly what investors want from them right now, neither the majority of gamers.

But i'll keep faith, as always, and wait to see how this will turn out.

@Radiant_Dawn

You'd be surprised how profitable this new IP can become and how many fans it already has even after this
If you look at the long term performance of CDPR their stock clearly rose massively on the anticipated launch on CP2077 some of that will be smaller investors, but most will be institutions and professional investors looking for short term gains. The PR around the launch will have helped boost the stock too. Happens to many companies around a high profile product launch. Those investors will have sold out now, or they are in for the long haul.

Anyone who has invested since March 2020 is in a position to lose money if they cash out at the moment, but long term investors are still up.

The strategy announcement is clearly aimed at the long term investors and continued growth of the company over an extended period.

In those terms I wouldn't be surprised to see CDPR continue to develop the CP2077 IP and wait for a bigger relaunch on next gen for both CP and TW3 once the bugs are ironed out. If anything they can use the current chip shortage to their advantage and wait until the next gen consoles have a more
significant market share too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-105914_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-105914_Opera.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 44
If you look at the long term performance of CDPR their stock clearly rose massively on the anticipated launch on CP2077 some of that will be smaller investors, but most will be institutions and professional investors looking for short term gains. The PR around the launch will have helped boost the stock too. Happens to many companies around a high profile product launch. Those investors will have sold out now, or they are in for the long haul.

Anyone who has invested since March 2020 is in a position to lose money if they cash out at the moment, but long term investors are still up.

The strategy announcement is clearly aimed at the long term investors and continued growth of the company over an extended period.

In those terms I wouldn't be surprised to see CDPR continue to develop the CP2077 IP and wait for a bigger relaunch on next gen for both CP and TW3 once the bugs are ironed out. If anything they can use the current chip shortage to their advantage and wait until the next gen consoles have a more
significant market share too.
I woke up in the middle of the night because of the notification and decided to write anyway.:D Do you think CDPR will make the CP2077 world come alive? Will they bring something to the game world that can make it more complete, something that will make you want to go back and explore? After all, if people return, the game will be able to bring money further. But to return, you have to do something about it

I woke up in the middle of the night because of the notification and decided to write anyway.:D Do you think CDPR will make the CP2077 world come alive? Will they bring something to the game world that can make it more complete, something that will make you want to go back and explore? After all, if people return, the game will be able to bring money further. But to return, you have to do something about it
Sorry to wake you, its lunchtime here!

I obviously don't know but I really hope so, I'm not an investor but I felt this thread needed some context. As a gamer I was disappointed that the world they'd created needed a bit more filling up. Maybe it would be less likely if the have had launched bug free, then there wouldn't be the impetus to turn it around. I'm hopeful that they will feel the need to repair and then add some wow! factor.

The YouTubers and social media hype will only build itself if they fix it and make it a notably better game too. Just fixing the bugs won't do that. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I feel Mike Pondsmiths world deserves more.

Sorry to wake you, its lunchtime here!

I obviously don't know but I really hope so, I'm not an investor but I felt this thread needed some context. As a gamer I was disappointed that the world they'd created needed a bit more filling up. Maybe it would be less likely if the have had launched bug free, then there wouldn't be the impetus to turn it around. I'm hopeful that they will feel the need to repair and then add some wow! factor.

The YouTubers and social media hype will only build itself if they fix it and make it a notably better game too. Just fixing the bugs won't do that. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I feel Mike Pondsmiths world deserves more.
No, no, it's okay, it wasn't your message that woke me up. ;)Totally agree with every word. I expect the same from CDPR.So much potential and this game can get better.it should get better

Oh, FFS, if you don't try to play GTA: Night City, what you get is basically First Person Cyberpunk Witcher. It still boggles the mind on how people who are ardent Witcher fans somehow see CP as an unmitigated disaster. Some of the side content/quests aren't as deftly executed and the story (and by extension content) is smaller, but other than that...it's a Witcher game in nature.

Focused around telling a pretty specific story for a pretty specific character, set in a beautifully thematic world, with combat that is fun-but- not-the-sole-focus of the game.

Oh, FFS, if you don't try to play GTA: Night City, what you get is basically First Person Cyberpunk Witcher. It still boggles the mind on how people who are ardent Witcher fans somehow see CP as an unmitigated disaster. Some of the side content/quests aren't as deftly executed and the story (and by extension content) is smaller, but other than that...it's a Witcher game in nature.

Focused around telling a pretty specific story for a pretty specific character, set in a beautifully thematic world, with combat that is fun-but- not-the-sole-focus of the game.
Personally, I'm not trying to. Just want to interact with the world a bit more. I'm really enjoying the game but if they want to win over those that have been put off by the flaming it got at release they'll have to wow the nay sayers and all the YouTube bandwagon that is louder (and cheaper) than any pr they can do now.

they brought it ALL on themselves, and further shows that "the witcher 3" was luck on their part

mmm not really, the witcher 3 was really done by competent staff, CDPR has changed a lot since the w3 was finished let's remember that a lot of people who worked in the witcher 3 left after management scraped the first iteration of Cyberpunk and then everything went downhill

Guest 3847602

mmm not really, the witcher 3 was really done by competent staff, CDPR has changed a lot since the w3 was finished let's remember that a lot of people who worked in the witcher 3 left after management scraped the first iteration of Cyberpunk and then everything went downhill
Let's not, because that's not what happened. ;)
If you're referencing Schreier's article, he said that first iteration of Cyberpunk was scrapped at the planning stage. Only the skeleton crew worked on it between 2012 and 2016 and there was nothing resembling the game yet. This restructuring of the project happened shortly after the remaining TW3 team finished their work Blood and Wine and was moved to Cyberpunk.

I've been hard on CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077, but as a gamer, not an investor. The whole concept that what investors look at is the same that we look at as a customer is fundamentally flawed and wrong, as the OP tried to do.

As an investor I'm looking at the fact that Sony still hasn't let the game into their store, not the reasons why. I'm looking at the sales of Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining, which isn't unusual for a game that's 3 months old, and the fact that the latest patch didn't really fix the above issues, which I think a lot of the investors were looking at. They're not making money off of CDPR anymore, and a lot of bailing. I don't care the reasons why.

As a gamer I'm looking at what the OP posts. I care about the reasons why, and don't care if CDPR is making money or not

A time will show if CDPR had learned some lessons from their fuckup with the game launch and investors escape. The lack of communication worries me especially.

They may be staying low profile and trying to make a miracle, like the Hello Games did, but I'm very skeptical about it. They're too huge now to ignore easier ways out.

Top Bottom