CDPR vindicated those who doubted their promise

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The argument was that "many people complained about the excessive size of The Witcher 3".
Yeah, that's one of the greatest bullshit of the game... I really hope it was just an excuse because they had to cut it due to development time (8 years, including pre-production, to deliver 20 hours main quest, 50 hours is what, 10 years?). You can't make an RPG where you speak for 15 hours and "play" for 5.
One of the biggest flaws of the game together with lack of presentation for all the secondary activities that now seem fetch quests compared to those in Witcher 3 where you actually met and speak with the quest givers.
Post automatically merged:

Everything, in my view, will be in the middle of the main story, without affecting absolutely nothing the endings we already know.
To be honest I hope they are not adding any ending only because people complain that V dies. It would be a I turn of their creative vision.

Last edited:
Mr. Blue Eyes, The Rings, Garry - just the first few which come into my mind... and there are way more if one want to scan all the shards and plots carefully, which I won't do now ^^
He is saying that because these things are a mystery, the expansion will 100% be in the middle of the game - explaining them. To which
1) Why can't that happen at/after the ending
and
2)do they have to be explained? Why?

Btw what are 'the rings' and 'garry'?

Btw what are 'the rings' and 'garry'?

there seem to be a mystery organization which members wear the same kind of rings. one for example is the Chinese dude in the gig you make for Regina in personal manners. And there are several of them. As for Garry - its the "Alpha Centauri" dude next to Mystys shop. - My personal thought all of them are connected "Blue Eyes, Peralez, Sandra, Garry, the Rings, etc." - but its all theory by players/fans nothing clear about it/them for now.

I guess its also a reason why so many player hope for the crystal palace heist - to get some more info about these kind of stuff tho.

Yeah, that's one of the greatest bullshit of the game... I really hope it was just an excuse because they had to cut it due to development time (8 years, including pre-production, to deliver 20 hours main quest, 50 hours is what, 10 years?). You can't make an RPG where you speak for 15 hours and "play" for 5.
One of the biggest flaws of the game together with lack of presentation for all the secondary activities that now seem fetch quests compared to those in Witcher 3 where you actually met and speak with the quest givers.
No, they spend these years to deliver 80+ hours of experience - which I think is a fair amount. As I see it, where they made a 'mistake' was to not intertwine the main quest with side quests. So for some people it ends being a somewhat short game. But I am not sure if there is an easy answer here (something that won't disappoint one group). While I would love 'you must be this experienced/tall' to access the next part of the main quest, I imagine that will be bad choice for another person:)

While I would love 'you must be this experienced/tall' to access the next part of the main quest, I
Of course there is, it's a level gated game...

Regarding the length, half of the game feels like fetch quests, I can't consider it as quality content. If it wasn't for level design, all that content would be exactly like w3's question marks. I agree that at least the secondary quests from the main characters should have been intertwined with the story and not "I'm dying and need a cure ASAP, but first let me help this detective for reasons".

Of course there is, it's a level gated game...

Regarding the length, half of the game feels like fetch quests, I can't consider it as quality content. If it wasn't for level design, all that content would be exactly like w3's question marks
GIGs are like contracts in TW3.
In TW3, you can't receive messages nor call from someone I believe, so you maybe have to meet the dude...
In Cyberpunk, there are fixers which are, I quote Wakako, the link which makes that the customers know nothing of the mercenary who executes the contracts and that the mercenary never meets the customer.
I agree that at least the secondary quests from the main characters should have been intertwined with the story and not "I'm dying and need a cure ASAP, but first let me help this detective for reasons".
Hum... In TW3 :
Geralt have to find Ciri as fast as possible, because he know that she's in danger (more you advance in the story line, more it seem urgent), but Geralt have time to play gwent, to help a old woman to find her lost frying pan, to help a "drunk" dwarf who has lost his boss' "important" papers gambling (gwent), to train a daughter of a riche Nilfgaardian ambassador, to help a troll to paint a nice Redanian emblem, to help an haflin who have lost his apprentice (eated by cannibals), to help Zoltan to find "rare" gwent cards and so on...
If I must thinking as Geralt, find and save Ciri is most important than my own life itself, so in fact, the rest of the world can burn in hell...
I like when TW3 in taken as an example :)

Last edited:
To take your example of RE 2, if the game was 2 times longer (adding around 30 hours). Would the players have played more, the stats would have been different ? I don't think so :(
I agree - and as a matter of fact, shorter sequel, RE 3, was beaten by more people. However, it also sold less and was received more coldly than it's predecessor, with one of the most repeated reasons being that the game is "too short".
So if I invest my own money for this game, which I won't do for "art sake", but rather to get back my invested money and with "substantial" interests, it would mean that adding 30 hours to the game is a "waste of money". That's unfortunate for those who like "long" games but it's how it is (I won't complain with a "2 time longer" Cyberpunk, for sure...)
Also agree - from monetary perspective, it makes no sense to spent money on something, that most people won't even see. But that's what differentiates ordinary devs from great ones - the ability and desire to go above and beyond, to keep true to their vision, even if most people will not see it. ;)

I agree - and as a matter of fact, shorter sequel, RE 3, was beaten by more people. However, it also sold less and was received more coldly than it's predecessor, with one of the most repeated reasons being that the game is "too short".

yeah - RE3 remake was critiqued to be way to short for a game. questionable to shorten games "just because..." ...

Also agree - from monetary perspective, it makes no sense to spent money on something, that most people won't even see. But that's what differentiates ordinary devs from great ones - the ability and desire to go above and beyond, to keep true to their vision, even if most people will not see it. ;)
Rather than talking about "developers", those who really "make/think/create" games (who are maybe like us, "passionate" by making/writing games). For them, shortening a story because "money/rentability reasons" must be damn annoying/sad...
But I think, it's not Devs who make "important" decisions in studios generally :(

Rather than talking about "developers", those who really "make/think/create" games (who are maybe like us, "passionate" by making/writing games). For them, shortening a story because "money/rentability reasons" must be damn annoying/sad...
But I think, it's not Devs who make "important" decisions in studios generally :(
Absolutely not. But they should be part of the decision progress... if the management would just notice, cyberpunk wouldn't have fallen from grace at launch : /

Last edited:
On Xbox, even 7 years after the release (so it's not matter of time of playing...), 86% of those who bought The Witcher 3 never finished the main story at least once... And I suppose it's quite the same on other platforms.
I'm constantly surprised by the small percentage of players who even get halfway in most games, let alone finish them. I don't think length is a factor, even shorter 'casual' games have small completion rates (under 50%) - at least the ones I play.

Absolutely not. But they should be part of the decision progress... if the management would just notice, cyberpunk wouldn't have fallen from grace at launch : /
Maybe, but Devs are employees... I speak from my experience, my "bosses" rarely asked my opinions/advices about important decisions which concern their businesses :)

Just a guess, but about the release state of the game, I think that more than a "intentional" decision based on how good the game was, it rather was like KCD at time I believe. At time, WarHorse couldn't afford to develop the game anymore (exhausted budget), so they have two easy (bad) choices... Either to release the game as it is and counted on sales to improve/fix the game. Either to throw the whole project in the trash :(

Last edited:
Maybe, but Devs are employees... I speak from my experience, my "bosses" rarely asked my opinions/advices about important decisions which concern their businesses :)
Yeah, when I say "devs" in this particular context, I don't mean just development team, but use it in a broader sense - and assume that developers are given as much time, resources and creative freedom as they need.

so they have two easy (bad) choices... Either to release the game as it is and counted on sales to improve/fix the game. Either to throw the whole project in the trash :(

yeah works 1,2,3 times and than no-one takes you serious anymore like EA or UBISOFT games... big companies dont care anyways because money is flowing anyways (sadly) but smaller studios should be really careful with this mindset... CDPR should be careful : /

To be honest I hope they are not adding any ending only because people complain that V dies. It would be a I turn of their creative vision.
V's death in 6 months no matter what contradicts biochip own lore. The only possible justification is a plot hook for story expansion, where V obtains a cure. Now these story expansion will surely never be released

It kinda does tho, once they have bought it it doesnt matter form a monetary standpoint if they finish it or not.. I would call it a more of a artistic choice too make the game shorter too get more people too finish it. I would also say that it shows kinda a low self esteem when it comes too story writing. If the story is good and people dont finish it, i doubt its because its too long....

Also i think the choice of not intertwining the side storys more with the main one is a choice too keep the main story short. If they were more intertwined the main story would be longer. I also guess they hade planned a expansion too happend at the end/after the end. Why else would they return you too before the end started and alow you too do all endings on 1 character.

It kinda does tho, once they have bought it it doesnt matter form a monetary standpoint if they finish it or not.. I would call it a more of a artistic choice too make the game shorter too get more people too finish it. I would also say that it shows kinda a low self esteem when it comes too story writing. If the story is good and people dont finish it, i doubt its because its too long....

Also i think the choice of not intertwining the side storys more with the main one is a choice too keep the main story short. If they were more intertwined the main story would be longer. I also guess they hade planned a expansion too happend at the end/after the end. Why else would they return you too before the end started and alow you too do all endings on 1 character.
I'm afraid, at best they'll make some long chain-gig, resulting with fancy loot and nothing more. Just remember what content they released after 2 years — useless apartments, guns, scopes, long overdue V outlook customization. Doubt they'll make any better in expansion

I'm afraid, at best they'll make some long chain-gig, resulting with fancy loot and nothing more. Just remember what content they released after 2 years — useless apartments, guns, scopes, long overdue V outlook customization. Doubt they'll make any better in expansion
....fixing the game?
You kinda gloss over something important:)

if they haven't manage to fix it in 2 years, doubt they' will in the future. Game still had plenty of bugs, and each patch brings new. For example, at v.1.05 Evelyn didn't stuck in her bed, blocking entire Judy's questline)
I see. I really should replay the game now, as my playthrough in 1.50 I had few missing voices with phone calls....and that was all.
...maybe I brought different game. Must check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom