CDPR vindicated those who doubted their promise

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disappointed with CDPR. I was let down by their bug infested release and I am now equally disappointed by their dismissive approach to Cyberpunk 2077. This is not the game you promised. I held judgement to see if you would correct the wrongs but it's clear now that you favor abandoning that which you did not properly deliver. Hello Games took No Man's Sky and after 6 years are still delivering brand new content. You promised to support this IP, yet now you offer one expansion? Really? I guess time will tell, we'll see what the next patch offers. But you seem to be abandoning Cyberpunk when you promised to double down. Again, maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.

Thoughts?

I hope you are wrong too. I get everyone’s frustrations, hell I’m frustrated and disappointed. I’m not a super avid gamer, but man this game sucked me right in. We will just have to wait and see. I suspect they want to see how the first expansion goes before fully committing to another.

Yea im not going too hope anymore. From what ive heard or the way im seeing/hearing things (not gonna say anything more, if you know you know.) i think ill just wait for the next cyberpunk in UE5 and hopefully it will live up to expectations. The expansion is probably not going too be anything ill enjoy enough too buy, perhaps after awhile and at 50% price. The game is just not for me, too bad i guess.

Hopefully Witcher 3 next gen will release as planned and be good enough too trap me in the game again. Witcher 4 i dont really have high hopes for but we shall see.

I was definitely disappointed at release even though I liked the game. Gave it a 8.5/10 and plan to play through it at least once more after the expansion releases. I thought the main story was too short and the game was filled with bugs.

It's hard for me to comment on the game right now. I haven't played since release and haven't experienced 1.5. It seems like the game has made some solid improvements and I imagine 1.6 will flesh some of the DLC things out more while fixing up more bugs. So that is good.

I will also be disappointed by only one expansion releasing if that is indeed what happens... unless it is a massive Blood and Wine style thing, then that would be okay with me. I say this not because this was my expectation - but the expectation that was set. CDPR promised AT LEAST as much post release content as The Witcher 3. So even if they release something like a Hearts of Stone that is a 10/10 experience - that is great. I'm sure I will love it... but there is also the idea that there should have been more - because they flat out said there would be more.

For them to release the game prematurely/broken, take as long as they did to patch things up and then on top of that go back on their word on DLC/expansion content is pretty lame.

That being said I still think there is a chance there is more than just one expansion. I listened to the call and the context of what was said. He did say Cyberpunk expansion would be the last Red Engine project - but then went on to say that future projects would be on UE and stuttered a bit before kind of clarifying that he meant the Witcher 4 would be their first project on UE and everything else would be UE moving forward. But that being said - I think there is like a 95% chance we are getting one expansion.

That being said companies make mistakes and they adapt. They are throwing Red Engine under the bus and moving on to Unreal. Cyberpunk 2077 was still a pretty damn good project. It didn't capture my heart in the way games like Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin 2 or God of War (2018) did... but it was still a damn good game. The story and character work surpassed most games and I thought it was still a better open world experience than most other offerings. For instance I thought it was far superior to a game like Fallout 4.

Doesn't completely sink CDPR in my eyes, but it knocks them off of their pedestal - leaving them with a lot to prove with The Witcher 4 to regain my trust in them as the best dev in the open world game space.

Another thing to remember about NMS is that it was the first big project from Hello Games. That means that its reception was integral to the future of their other games, "A new project from the team that made No Man's Sky and didn't finish it" would be a bad look from marketing perspective - so it is only natural that they would go all in into fixing it. Not to mention that like @Mogsters73 said, it is a grindy MMO, so live service support is to be expected.
In any case, there isn't any reason to be disappointed by CP 2077 expansion, simply for the fact that we have absolutely no info yet. It can be good, it can be bad, it can be half-a-game in size or it can be 5 hours in length - so, to quote McCready, why won't we wait here for a while and see what happens?

Another thing to remember about NMS is that it was the first big project from Hello Games. That means that its reception was integral to the future of their other games, "A new project from the team that made No Man's Sky and didn't finish it" would be a bad look from marketing perspective - so it is only natural that they would go all in into fixing it. Not to mention that like @Mogsters73 said, it is a grindy MMO, so live service support is to be expected.
In any case, there isn't any reason to be disappointed by CP 2077 expansion, simply for the fact that we have absolutely no info yet. It can be good, it can be bad, it can be half-a-game in size or it can be 5 hours in length - so, to quote McCready, why won't we wait here for a while and see what happens?
That's been my view on it. Apparently the expansion leaked, but at the same time it was not polished or appeared to be finished, so there's a possibility that it will be changed and also a possibility that it was only a part of something more, meaning another expansion could come after that one. All I really want expansion-wise is closure to The Sun Ending, which was the one I chose. I want a conclusion if they're not planning on addressing that in a sequel. I just want my Vs to have a good-ish ending with their Rockerboi mainline.

Only way to find out if its human or Thing is just to wait and see what happens, indeed

I don't feel they're abandoning Cyberpunk. That would have occurred last year instead of releasing bugfixes, the next-gen update, etc. and we're now getting an expansion, which is typical for a single player narrative driven game. I'll use Ghost of Tsushima as example; free update (Legends co-op mode), next-gen upgrade and one paid "DLC" expansion.

Kind of unfair to see No Man's Sky constantly used as a comparison, NMS has a live service model and has been receiving updates for years. Cyberpunk will never be live service, nor would I expect development to continue on it for 4+ years.

One expansion is exactly what I was expecting. It's taken the better part of two years to get the game into good technical shape. That's a lot of effort that potentially could have gone into additional expansions. Also, I'm not sure how much additional life a two year old game can get through expansions anyway. So, I don't see anything new here. From my point of view, the ball was dropped badly with the initial release and the way the company handled that in the first few weeks. They've spent the time since to improve the game and try to do better. For instance, they muzzled the out of control marketing department that many of us were complaining about in the months before and after the game's poor release, and put a bunch of effort into silently addressing as many of the technical issues as they could.

I don't say any of that to justify the game's release. It was so terrible that it's had a pervasive impact on the game's life, including potential expansions. But that's over, and I think the company has done a reasonable job of trying to recover from those mistakes. Further development with Red Engine has been halted. This is the only game for which any development is being done with it. The game is a couple of years old, and went through a rocky life cycle to get to this reasonably stable point.

Thus, multiple additional expansions don't make any sense to me. I can appreciate and accept that it makes sense to you. But it doesn't to me, and I don't want it. I want them to finish the game with something good, and then move on to build a solid foundation with the next game in the series, rather than continuing to drag on with this one.

Here is the thing all of the "They're abandoning the game" stuff it's all speculation. Based on some "language they've used" and the internet going crazy.

For example the "Expansion thing" yes in the past they've used the term "expansions" plural and now are talking about the expansion(Singular) coming early 2023..... But they're also still referring to it as Expansion 1. in all of their documentation. So basically they dropped the S.... probably because only one expansion will release at a time, BUT everyone assumes the 2nd expansion is canceled/abandoned. But there is no evidence of that other than they dropped the S.

Same thing with Red Engine.... Saying all future projects will be moving to UE 5 does not mean they stop supporting "Legacy Games" on Red Engine 2... it just means the future is transitioning to another Engine. NOWHERE does that say support is ending.

And as for the lack of content.... Look it took longer than it should have to get the game to a Mostly fixed largely playable/acceptable state.... and honestly it still needs some. But since Launch we've got 4 free DLC packs I think, all included inside updates that fixed the game. We are likely to get at least one Free DLC pack when patch 1.6 comes out, which is likely going to happen this summer.(just my best guess) and 1.5 was only 3 months ago. It has not been that long.

Trust me, I get the frustration with Launch, If you didn't have a next gen console or really Beefy PC the game just didn't work, and for everyone else it "worked" but not great. And yes, the content and fix roll out has been a little slower than we'd all like(my self included)..... BUT CDPR has put in the work, they have produced content they have fixed/balanced the game, they continually communicate intentions they have been pretty transparent in the aftermath of the bad launch. Saying they are Abandoning the fans and the game is just Unfair IMO.... saying you're still unhappy with the product and would like to see more fixes and content, 100% fair and Accurate. Saying they "clearly don't care about this game or the fans" is just wrong.

They lost all my trust the moment I inserted the game in my PS5 at launch. That being said, even though the game is not even close to what we expected based on their previous games and definitely because of the marketing campaign that "oversold" many aspects of the game (euphemism), I never expected a needed overhaul of the game mechanics. I thought they would fix bugs and must say that after 1.52 the game is playable at least on current gen and PC. Still not on PS4 but it is what it is (and definitely not forgivable). To be honest, they even surpassed my expectations because I didn't think they would add dualsense support and improve driving.

I do really hope the first expansion (that I won't buy) is also the only and last one and is released ASAP so that they can move on their next big game (which I will consider buying only after launch: fool me once Shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). Next one has got to be "perfect" at launch to have me interested to say the least.

Just one last thing: keep your expectations low for the expansion. If it took them 8 years to do a 20 hours long main quest, how big you think the expansion can be? Also, as someone has said, if you know you know.

Last edited:
For example the "Expansion thing" yes in the past they've used the term "expansions" plural and now are talking about the expansion(Singular) coming early 2023..... But they're also still referring to it as Expansion 1. in all of their documentation. So basically they dropped the S.... probably because only one expansion will release at a time, BUT everyone assumes the 2nd expansion is canceled/abandoned. But there is no evidence of that other than they dropped the S.

Same thing with Red Engine.... Saying all future projects will be moving to UE 5 does not mean they stop supporting "Legacy Games" on Red Engine 2... it just means the future is transitioning to another Engine. NOWHERE does that say support is ending.

And as for the lack of content.... Look it took longer than it should have to get the game to a Mostly fixed largely playable/acceptable state.... and honestly it still needs some. But since Launch we've got 4 free DLC packs I think, all included inside updates that fixed the game. We are likely to get at least one Free DLC pack when patch 1.6 comes out, which is likely going to happen this summer.(just my best guess) and 1.5 was only 3 months ago. It has not been that long.

Trust me, I get the frustration with Launch, If you didn't have a next gen console or really Beefy PC the game just didn't work, and for everyone else it "worked" but not great. And yes, the content and fix roll out has been a little slower than we'd all like(my self included)..... BUT CDPR has put in the work, they have produced content they have fixed/balanced the game, they continually communicate intentions they have been pretty transparent in the aftermath of the bad launch. Saying they are Abandoning the fans and the game is just Unfair IMO.... saying you're still unhappy with the product and would like to see more fixes and content, 100% fair and Accurate. Saying they "clearly don't care about this game or the fans" is just wrong.
The wording is kinda odd, or telling. We wont know for sure untill somebody makes a proper statement. But people got kinda angry last financial call about the deployment of workforce (was an error in the slide) and they were fast in fixing and making a statement.

Depends on what you mean with support i guess. RED 2 is probably pretty abandoned too since they have upgraded it too 3 and 4 since. Thing is its kinda dumb too keep developing an engine that your gonna stop using for the next games. Especially since im guessing its alot harder too learn and use it compared with the new engine. It would be one thing if they were compatible with each other or something but im fairly sure that is not the case.

Lack of content is another kinda big issue for me, yes its SP, yes there has been alot of problems these years, yes there was alot of fixing. Still 2 years for the first story content too release is quite long, especially in a story driven action adventure game. I personaly find the free dlc kinda meh, its free so i wont complain about it but its generaly model swaps and stuff that should have been in the game from the start (was the same in witcher 3 tbh). Atleast there not charging for it so im not angry about it.

I do think they care, heck they kinda hade too do this. They were the golden child before this game, just like so menny other studios has been and then they fail. If it was Ubisoft or EA i would not be as harsh in my judgement (witch is kinda sad in itself). They have just started too turn it around with 1.5 for menny people and then something goes wrong again(not gonna discuss it since not sure its allowed here). Anyways just my thoughts, but im not that exited for the future of Cp2077. Hoping the next game is more too my taste.

Definitely am just waiting on all this. I really don't think I'll be satisfied if in fact this is the only one and it doesn't at the least touch on some of the heavily telegraphed plot points the endings did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom