CDPR wants TW3 to be better than Skyrim and Dragon Age

+
It allready is far better than Skyrim and Dragon Age, but then again that's not particularly hard, one's a hiking simulator and the others a pathetic dating sim aimed at the brain dead lowest common denominator. Shit sells, quality endures. The Witcher handles mature themes brilliantly, doesn't make brain dead idiots out of everybody including the protagonist, doesn't villify or provide answers trusting its players to do that, and doesn't seek to attract an audience through politically correct pandering to minorities at the cost of the integrity of the gameworld.

It stays true to itself and its vision rather than bowing down to the moronic demands of the latest demographic, long may it continue to fucking do so.

Precisely Bloth.

TW1 and TW2 are already miles ahead of both game series, especially Dragon Age. Notwithstanding that the main plot of DA2 was ripped off from TW1.

Misleading OP. The games are already better than DA/Skyrim - CDPR just wants to market the Witcher to a wider gaming audience.

Well, they should fix all the timeline issues.
If that's consistent, it will out do the others easily.

My guess is that they just say these things to test the waters. Ultimately, they will make a game true to their vision and desires, as they should, whether or not it fulfills the expectations of the gaming audience.

guipit said:
how would they make it better?

They did better in TW 2 but a game does not need that kind of things to be mature, if that was the case Skyrim and DA 2 would have the same level of grey choices and politics just because of that.
There were some things about torture and rape that I did not like, for example Geralt was torture but we never see any side effects on him, it is just another day in his life. He does not even talk that much about it. I was expecting some backslash when him and Roche had a fight or something. There was Dethmold torture that I found stupid just as much as Philippa. In the other hand you have a rapist Henselt and Roche just kill him.
I do no understand the all "Ves is lying about rape" thing from Geralt, that was never explain and it reminds me of victim blaming. I am not saying that Ves could not be lying but why say that when you clearly do not explain nothing after that?

I do no understand the all "Ves is lying about rape" thing from Geralt, that was never explain and it reminds me of victim blaming.

What Ves is lying about is how Dethmold and Henselt just let her go, that's what Jan said when I asked him about it on BSN ( he posts there from time to time on the witcher off-topic threads ). Of course the problem with this is that Ves specifically says she can still smell the swine on her ( Henselt ) so it's a bit weird.

There were some things about torture and rape that I did not like, for example Geralt was torture but we never see any side effects on him, it is just another day in his life

Geralt was beaten, pretty badly yes but it was a beating by the Temerian soldiers who captured him.

As for why he shrugs it off. Considering the scrapes he has gotten in and the multiple wounds he has suffered from monsters it's not like that kind of injury is new to him. He has suffered worse.

Furthermore both DA:O and DA2 have torture and rape and they handle it a lot worse then TW1 or TW2 did.

CostinMoroianu said:
What Ves is lying about is how Dethmold and Henselt just let her go, that's what Jan said when I asked him about it on BSN ( he posts there from time to time on the witcher off-topic threads ). Of course the problem with this is that Ves specifically says she can still smell the swine on her ( Henselt ) so it's a bit weird.

Geralt was beaten, pretty badly yes but it was a beating by the Temerian soldiers who captured him.

As for why he shrugs it off. Considering the scrapes he has gotten in and the multiple wounds he has suffered from monsters it's not like that kind of injury is new to him. He has suffered worse.

Furthermore both DA:O and DA2 have torture and rape and they handle it a lot worse then TW1 or TW2 did.

Yup I got that impresson from that scene too it was weird if she says that she can still smell him on her, that is why I assume that Geralt was adressing that.

Oh I agree with you, I never said DA:O or DA 2, address this kind of things well just that they have it in game and this do not make them better nor more mature or intelligent.

Mihura said:
Yup I got that impresson from that scene too it was weird if she says that she can still smell him on her, that is why I assume that Geralt was adressing that.

Oh I agree with you, I never said DA:O or DA 2, address this kind of things well just that they have it in game and this do not make them better nor more mature or intelligent.

I got the impression Ves is lying because she doesn't want Geralt and Roche (specially the latter) to go wild crazy and avenge her, as she expects they will be killed in the process (you know, a full army and Henselt private guard against 2 guys).

I actually thought it was preetty well thought that an abused victim who also just witnessed all his friends being hanged in her presence, would try to spare her remaining friends from any harm... But maybe Im wrong...?

Aver

Forum veteran
I would say that TW is way more mature than Skyrim or Dragon Age, but not because nudity or tortures.

What was wrog with Dethmold's torture? Considering Roche being extremely hot-headed and what Dethmold did to his squad - which he treated like family, I think the scene was fitting.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Wait, what's wrong with Philippa's torture, from a story perspective?

Nothing I think I already discuss this one time with you if I remember right, that the only characters that get torture or kill in a way that you cannot have a saying is Philippa and Dethmold and well both are kind the only gay characters. Dethmold scene before he is turtore to death is actually seen as disgusting and Philippa hot, this made me pause a little, of course not everyone is going to agree or see it that way.
As for Ves I think when you mess with that type of things maybe trying to be clear can go long way, the whole scene and dialogue between her, Geralt and Roche is confusing and they do confront Henselt, Geralt actually ask about the rape so, I do not understand what she was lying about, other then that.

Mihura said:
that the only characters that get torture or kill in a way that you cannot have a saying is Philippa and Dethmold and well both are kind the only gay characters.
Wow, really? You can avoid those elves in Flotsam hanging? You can save the elf being interrogated and tortured at camp? You can stop Cedric from dying?

Sorry, but Philippa and Dethmold are not the only characters to get tortured/killed in the game whose fate you cannot change and it has nothing to do with their sexual orientation but with what they've done in terms of the plot (Phillipa being a schemer that gets outplayed by Radovid and Dethmold being a sadist and messing with the wrong guy - Roche). In fact, you can prevent Dethmold's death by not helping Roche.

I thought the Witcher 2 was better then Skyrim.

Really though, they are different types of rpgs.

Skyrim is open world, exploration focused, but it has a generic story that's no where near as good or well written as the Witcher. The choices/consequences in the Witcher make it stand far above imo from a story standpoint.

Dragon Age is a party based tactical rpg. I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but i wouldn't really compare it to the Witcher, I mean I enjoyed both of them but they provide different experiences. The Witcher 2 was far more mature then Dragon Age, which felt "held back," a little in that regard.

Dragon age 2 on the other hand, was terrible, no where near as good as Dragon Age: Origins and the Witcher 1/2 were both leaps and bounds better then it.

I just hope in this quest to go open world the Witcher doesn't lose what makes it so good, the characters, the stories, the consequences of your choices which are a lot of time morally grey and not just simple "Black and white" choices like most rpgs (IE Bioware games).

Mihura said:
Nothing I think I already discuss this one time with you if I remember right, that the only characters that get torture or kill in a way that you cannot have a saying is Philippa

Oh right, I remember.

I usually agree with you ,but not on this. Philippa's torture has really nothing to do with her sexuality.

I will grant though that it is possible to interpret Dethmod's castration as related to his sexuality. Although I did not find his gay scene disgusting. What made me raise an eyebrow is the servant saying he was forced into it. But when I didn't know, I didn't think it was disgusting or weird (in so far as Dethmold can't not be weird).

Agent_Blue

Stiler said:
I thought the Witcher 2 was better then Skyrim.

Really though, they are different types of rpgs.

Skyrim is open world, exploration focused, but it has a generic story that's no where near as good or well written as the Witcher. The choices/consequences in the Witcher make it stand far above imo from a story standpoint.

Dragon Age is a party based tactical rpg. I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but i wouldn't really compare it to the Witcher, I mean I enjoyed both of them but they provide different experiences. The Witcher 2 was far more mature then Dragon Age, which felt "held back," a little in that regard.

Dragon age 2 on the other hand, was terrible, no where near as good as Dragon Age: Origins and the Witcher 1/2 were both leaps and bounds better then it.

I just hope in this quest to go open world the Witcher doesn't lose what makes it so good, the characters, the stories, the consequences of your choices which are a lot of time morally grey and not just simple "Black and white" choices like most rpgs (IE Bioware games).

Well, the stakes are high. Take a look at their selling proposal

« a crowning achievement of the RPG genre
Combining a mature non-linear story with a vast open world»

They're very much aware of the conundrum. In fact, they're marketing it as their selling point. I'm more excited than worried.

KnightofPhoenix said:
What made me raise an eyebrow is the servant saying he was forced into it. But when I didn't know, I didn't think it was disgusting or weird (in so far as Dethmold can't not be weird).

I saw that as the servant being afraid that Roche and Geralt might kill him next if they thought he was someone actually important to Dethmold. So that was his way to try and protect himself. Anyway, there's a lot of speculation at this point.

Mihura said:
I am sorry but rape, torture, gore, sex...etc do not make a game mature, what makes the game mature is how you deal in that type of content, which on the witcher was not that great in my opinion, what is great about TW 2 is mostly politics and difficult choices. Also DA and Skyrim have all of that too, where did you get that idea that this games were pg-12?

And people are right this is a marketing technique they are associating their brand to this games because there are potential buyers there but this does not mean the game is going to be "casualizing".

Actually, on the contrary, when REMOVED from a story to sell content to broader audiences you lose more than that, you lose reference points in believability and if you also understand that counterpoint then what you said holds only in some cases, not all.

Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 were not possible to be taken seriously specifically because they refuse to touch on these subjects in reference to the cast you need to feel for. I also read your further comments, though. I also, understand the want for say a hotter male scene, fairer treatment of women in that regard because some are very truly ugly(the males I'm talking about here).

However, even the sexism in this fantasy is captured by the time period represented in the novels and fits perfectly into authenticity.

Point is this series was always BETTER, it doesn't need to be any more, and going for more size is fine, but never cut back on the 'questionable' that needs to be not fucked with to keep the impact and realism for genuine NPC and PC feelings.

Top Bottom