CE thread - Be friendly, please. Lot of choices not up to CDPR, gang.

+
Folks, I understand that such situations may be frustrating, especially with resellers that care only about money.
But it starts to look like an overreaction. You treat CE as if you won't be able to play the game without that box and demand it to be available to everyone. That's not how it works. Collector's edition is meant to be limited. Otherwise it loses its value.
If the game turns out to be really great - you'll enjoy it anyways. If not - no CE gonna make up for it).
Why does a collectors edition have to be limited? Should't it be limited by the number of people willing to pay for it? If your willing to collect it for the personal enjoyment of the cyberpunk swag why do you care if thousand's of other people have it. It doesn't devalue the product unless your goal is resell it. My witcher 3 statue broke in a move and I'm not pissed that it's lost value but upset about my cool product being damage. It's for my personal enjoyment of the series.

Why does a collectors edition have to be limited? Should't it be limited by the number of people willing to pay for it? If your willing to collect it for the personal enjoyment of the cyberpunk swag why do you care if thousand's of other people have it. It doesn't devalue the product unless your goal is resell it. My witcher 3 statue broke in a move and I'm not pissed that it's lost value but upset about my cool product being damage. It's for my personal enjoyment of the series.
Ordering more boxes means significant investment that won't return till april as many stores do not charge money till release. So you want devs to take money that are meant for game development and spend it on merchandise for personal enjoyment? I don't think that's what we'd want:(. They're not limiting CE to piss off gamers, they have their reasons.
If CDPR were after those who are willing to pay, they wouldn't bother with manufacturing and shipping CE. They'd release the game as it is now, introduce season pases, loot boxes with cybernetic upgrades that can only be obtained with real money and other crap for milking players. For example, like Blizzard got one billion bucks from lootboxes in multiplayer shooter Overwatch in just one year.
For CDPR it's not about money. Their main focus is creating a great game that we all can enjoy for years. Witcher 3 set up a high bar of quality and Cyberpunk now have to match it. So they can spend only this much effort and time on things like CE. It's their decision, not ours.

Unfortunately, due to the way this all was handled by CDPR and WB, there are going to be folks getting scammed. Its why companies need to be more vigilent about limiting how many can be bought by single individuals.

For the record, this sort pf protection exists, and is actually quite frustrating to deal with.

On Gamestop, I placed an order for the PS4 Collector's Edition. I realized after the fact that you must have a powerup rewards code to take advantage of the extra Samurai Medallion that comes with it as a Gamestop exclusive. I cancelled my order and tried to place a new one -- nope, limited to 1 per account. Well, crap. Contact support, see if they can convince their system that "cancelled order = let customer buy more." They can't. Double crap.

Now I have to spend 3 hours on the phone with a support rep that hardly speaks English (nothing against people who have trouble with English, I just don't think they should be handling a company's entire US support system) to get it resolved. The solution is to make a new account, with someone else's credit card, someone else's address, someone else's name and email, to place the order.

No thanks. Stuck with Amazon instead.

Gamestop is trash.
Couldn't agree more.

I wanted them to survive for so long, partly because of nostalgia, and partly because I don't want to see brick-and-mortar retail die off. But it's clear that they have not made any effort to improve the customer experience, so... screw 'em. Sorry to the employees who will eventually be collateral damage, though. Some of you were alright.

Ordering more boxes means significant investment that won't return till april as many stores do not charge money till release. So you want devs to take money that are meant for game development and spend it on merchandise for personal enjoyment? I don't think that's what we'd want:(. They're not limiting CE to piss off gamers, they have their reasons.
If CDPR were after those who are willing to pay, they wouldn't bother with manufacturing and shipping CE. They'd release the game as it is now, introduce season pases, loot boxes with cybernetic upgrades that can only be obtained with real money and other crap for milking players. For example, like Blizzard got one billion bucks from lootboxes in multiplayer shooter Overwatch in just one year.
For CDPR it's not about money. Their main focus is creating a great game that we all can enjoy for years. Witcher 3 set up a high bar of quality and Cyberpunk now have to match it. So they can spend only this much effort and time on things like CE. It's their decision, not ours.

I'm pretty sure they can negotiate appropriate credit terms and payment terms on a long term project like this which wouldn't affect the cyberpunk project.

I'm pretty sure using credit and payment terms on a long level project like this wouldn't affect the cyberpunk project.
I believe Ralf is correct. CDPR somewhat elaborated on this subject on Twitter, and their explanations lined up with what he (she?) said.

I'm pretty sure they can negotiate appropriate credit terms and payment terms on a long term project like this which wouldn't affect the cyberpunk project.

Negotiating any terms with distribution/retail is neither easy nor quick. Manufacturing stuff adds even more to it. There's only 10 months until the game release, so they might have their sales/bizdev people focused on other stuff.

Why does a collectors edition have to be limited? Should't it be limited by the number of people willing to pay for it?
It's limited for the reasons of rewarding the customer's support with something unique that not everybody can get their hands to. The name "collector's edition" is what it says.
When you engage into wanting to purchase such a product, then you engage into it knowing that it's available only with a limited amount just as much as the rule first comes first serves.

If you have read the earlier posts in this thread, then you'll know that we all understand that particularity with the CP2077 CE there were mistakes done, and most people agree that mistakes were done regarding the distribution of the CE here.
But this has nothing to do with the general purpose of the meaning why a collector's edition is suposed to be limited. You're kinda mixing up a few things at this point with the frustration that you've experienced due to the mistakes that were made from distributors or even CDPR.

If your willing to collect it for the personal enjoyment of the cyberpunk swag why do you care if thousand's of other people have it. It doesn't devalue the product unless your goal is resell it.
We care because otherwise the whole purpose of a limited collector's edition would be meaningless. That's the whole point actually: Having something unique to represent your endorsement and the kudos you earn from it. Let's call it fame. This is something of a very specific and individual value of course and not everybody will value it as much as - or - as less as you do. And with "value" I am referring to the demand and the interest, not its worth categorized in numbers and currency.

It has absolutely nothing to do with reselling it, though a few people do know the demand and they're trying to take an advantage of this, which is just disgusting. I think we all agree at least on that part.

My witcher 3 statue broke in a move and I'm not pissed that it's lost value but upset about my cool product being damage. It's for my personal enjoyment of the series.
That's a bummer!
However, you have your emotions under control which is a really good thing. But you know, not everybody thinks like that, which is why we're all individuals.

The "value" is not necessarily referring for its price category or any sorts, it's how much an individual values the product for himself, and some collector's do really give it a higher value as their interest demand them to.

Does anyone know how many CEs were actually produced? For my part, I regret not buying 5 for future investment. imagine what they'll go for in 2 years.

Based on my experience 3. :shrug: Seriously it was a smallish number maybe several thousand due to the quick sellout maybe more. If the statues have numbers maybe we'll find out at launch.

Last edited:
There are actually still CEs available for purchase from GameStop.

They produced quite a lot of Xbox and PS4 CEs. It's ONLY the PC ones that were very, very limited.

If I recall correctly, the Witcher 3's CE sold out in less than 30 minutes. I believe 2077's took longer than that, despite the high demand. I remember checking back hours after announce and still seeing stock available on Best Buy's website.

If you're so attached to PC that you are unwilling to buy the CE for a different platform, yes, absolutely you're screwed. And that sucks. But if you are willing to save up an extra $60 over the next 10 months and get a digital PC copy as well, yes you'll be buying it twice, but you'll still have a CE.

Actually, you don't even have to save anything for the CE right now, because you won't be charged till launch.

Up to all of you to decide what's more important to you.

They produced quite a lot of Xbox and PS4 CEs. It's ONLY the PC ones that were very, very limited.

If I recall correctly, the Witcher 3's CE sold out in less than 30 minutes. I believe 2077's took longer than that, despite the high demand. I remember checking back hours after announce and still seeing stock available on Best Buy's website.

If you're so attached to PC that you are unwilling to buy the CE for a different platform, yes, absolutely you're screwed. And that sucks. But if you are willing to save up an extra $60 over the next 10 months and get a digital PC copy as well, yes you'll be buying it twice, but you'll still have a CE.

Actually, you don't even have to save anything for the CE right now, because you won't be charged till launch.

Best buy charges right away. But Best Buy is also giving away an extra steelbook with pre-order.
Buy your console CE, Sell the console disk in the extra steelbook, keep the CE steelbook and CE stuff. Buy your PC standard edition. That's what I'm doing. Gonna pre-order the PC copy on best buytoo so i get 2 extra steelbooks. sell disk in 1, keep the other.

Best buy charges right away. But Best Buy is also giving away an extra steelbook with pre-order.
Buy your console CE, Sell the console disk in the extra steelbook, keep the CE steelbook and CE stuff. Buy your PC standard edition. That's what I'm doing. Gonna pre-order the PC copy on best buytoo so i get 2 extra steelbooks. sell disk in 1, keep the other.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. That explains why it kept declining my card. Assumed it was just because there wasn't enough to cover the authorization charge.

You sure the funds aren't released after a few days of authorization hold?

Thanks for the info regardless. Most of what I said still applies though, since Gamestop and Amazon don't charge right away.

Best Buy's sold out as soon as they launched. Best Buy didn't have the PC CE on there site until hours after it was supposed to be. I was talking to their customer service rep asking about it and they stated they hadn't gotten confirmation on the total available or the SKU but once they did they would add the PC CE to their website. I was working when Best Buy finally dropped the PC CE edition so I missed it.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. That explains why it kept declining my card. Assumed it was just because there wasn't enough to cover the authorization charge.

You sure the funds aren't released after a few days of authorization hold?

Thanks for the info regardless. Most of what I said still applies though, since Gamestop and Amazon don't charge right away.
I lied. sorry. I guess it was a clerical error or something. Because the best buy charge that was on my CC is gone now. So i looked at their website.

"
Q: When will I be charged?

A: You will not be charged at the time you place the pre-order. Only when your item ships will your credit card be charged. If you order additional items along with your pre-order, you will be charged for each item as it ships.
"

I lied. sorry. I guess it was a clerical error or something. Because the best buy charge that was on my CC is gone now. So i looked at their website.

"
Q: When will I be charged?

A: You will not be charged at the time you place the pre-order. Only when your item ships will your credit card be charged. If you order additional items along with your pre-order, you will be charged for each item as it ships.
"
Yeah, it was most likely an authorization charge. Those are temporary to ensure your payment method is valid, but they're always removed in a few days.

Best Buy's sold out as soon as they launched. Best Buy didn't have the PC CE on there site until hours after it was supposed to be. I was talking to their customer service rep asking about it and they stated they hadn't gotten confirmation on the total available or the SKU but once they did they would add the PC CE to their website. I was working when Best Buy finally dropped the PC CE edition so I missed it.
I'm referring to console CEs, not PC. The console CEs took much, much longer to sell out.

Trust me, I'm well aware of how poorly handled the PC CE was. I was right there with everyone else hoping to get one, so I could cancel my PS4 one and go with PC instead. After it sold out in minutes on both Amazon, GameStop, and Best Buy, I just gave up.

So talked to a rep in EB Games in Canada, they got a corporate email stating that the amount of PC CE are so low that there will be no pre orders for it. Amazon.ca and EB Games dont even show a listing for it and Bestbuy.ca had it sold out right away. What gives @CDProjectRed? Why do you guys keep doubting your fan base on PC? Every forum I go to has ppl complaining that they could not preorder the game for PC CE.

Top Bottom