Celebrities in Video games a Good Idea?

+
Ehm, you really don't think that GTA V is the most sold game ever thanks to the brand itself being that famous? TW3 is the most awarded game in history (goty), but GTA V has sold several times more (100+ millions copies) and is the only game which has made $1 billion in the first 3 days after launch.

It's not a matter of how good the actor is or how s/he fits in the role, it's a matter of how popular the actor is. It's pure marketing. Why do you think commercials have famous people? Why are those famous people paid that much by companies to advertise their product? Why do you think "influencers" are a thing?
Does Natalie Portman smell good? Does she fit in a Dior's ad contest more than anyone else? Why this thing exist and is broadcasted on tv?

She is an excellent actress (oscar winner for best actress in 2011 and well deserved), but she's not showing any of this in the ad. She is there for the only and single reason that she is famous, very famous.

Just to make it clear, I'm contrary to the presence of lady gaga in the game (I fear more "damage" than "gain"), I'm just saying why CDPR has decided to hire her instead of any "relatively unknown" (sorry, but followers are an excellent data, used by companies themselves) actor for that specific role she's gonna play. Lady gaga will help CP2077's sales thanks to the simple fact that she is in the game. Need another demonstration? there are exactly 100 posts about this topic just on this forum, people are talking about the game. And it's just a rumor, not even confirmed. That's how marketing has always worked and always will.

Now, if you really think that marketing doesn't affect sales, I honestly give up this conversation and don't have much to add.

I don't even love the idea of her being in the game (I'm not as stalwartly against it as others, though) and even I agree with all of this.

It's smart business.

The only question is, how much is she gettitng paid, assuming this partnership is actually happening? That'll be the hair in the soup. After all, CDPR will probably want a return on their investment.

I saw someone (possibly you?) a page or two ago guess around $1 million, and I don't think that's an unrealistic amount. It wouldn't take many sales to make that back - only around 17,000, and that's not factoring in collector's editions.

She's always asked in her contract to be paid with a FIAT completely covered in waffles, and drenched in Newman's ranch dressing, while parked in front of the Lincoln Memorial as some form of symbol of hers. She's essentially Prince and Madonna in one, so this is expected from her.
Post automatically merged:

Also, what does amputees have to do with CP2k77's Gaga rumor?

Edit: this is most amount of time I've ever talked about Lady Gaga (Does she have a real name? I feel silly typing Gaga.).

No.

They add great expense for very little value added. Plus not everyone will like the personality in question (for example, Lady Gaga's name keeps popping up in this thread & her appeal on any level is utterly baffling to me).

I saw someone (possibly you?) a page or two ago guess around $1 million, and I don't think that's an unrealistic amount. It wouldn't take many sales to make that back - only around 17,000, and that's not factoring in collector's editions.
yeah, I wrote that and I imagine something between half a million and a million, depending on what she did, but it's really random from me, but I don't think lady gaga would accept a job for less than a million. Probably she makes it every month.

Of course her price must be at least 10-100 times more than any other relatively unknown actress, depending on how famous the actress is (the guy from geralt is cheap, troy baker costs more, charles dance even more, lady gaga is next level). I also wrote that the budget for the game is 100 millions, but it's definetely way higher than that (TW3 was 80 mln).

Just to point out that I was using easy numbers for the concept I was trying to express.

She's always asked in her contract to be paid with a FIAT completely covered in waffles
Never understood why americans love FIAT that much. They're actually pretty shitty cars. "made in italy" is still a thing, I guess (hey, they're not even made in italy for real).

99% sure she'll be:
Lizzy Wizzy from the Metadwarves

I'd also expect a song, and maybe a live show at E3 cosplayed as her.
Reminds me of "Cyborg Sally" in Norman Spinrad's "Little Heroes" novel, if CDPR really got inspired by it, I'm freaking hyped for it! (even more for all the mess going around it... gonna be messy choombah)

If not (even tho, it sounds pretty obvious) she probably just sold her voice for a couple songs (and some solid advertising for the game)

Last edited:
99% sure she'll be:
Lizzy Wizzy from the Metadwarves

I'd also expect a song, and maybe a live show at E3 cosplayed as her.
Reminds me of "Cyborg Sally" in Norman Spinrad's "Little Heroes" novel, if CDPR really got inspired by it, I'm freaking hyped for it! (even more for all the mess going around it... gonna be messy choombah)

If not (even tho, it sounds pretty obvious) she probably just sold her voice for a couple songs (and some solid advertising for the game)

Lizzy was my prediction as well.

Lizzy was my prediction as well.

This NPC would be perfect for Gaga and lets face it the girl can sing i have heard her sign all types of music .

She's always asked in her contract to be paid with a FIAT completely covered in waffles, and drenched in Newman's ranch dressing, while parked in front of the Lincoln Memorial as some form of symbol of hers. She's essentially Prince and Madonna in one, so this is expected from her.

Also, what does amputees have to do with CP2k77's Gaga rumor?

Edit: this is most amount of time I've ever talked about Lady Gaga (Does she have a real name? I feel silly typing Gaga.).

Her real name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta .

No.

They add great expense for very little value added. Plus not everyone will like the personality in question (for example, Lady Gaga's name keeps popping up in this thread & her appeal on any level is utterly baffling to me).

I disagree. Journalism game is harder and harder every year, devs play the same cards they have played last 10+ year already, sure it seems to work at least somewhat, but celebrities will help you there at least. Companies use the same baits to get comments etc.

This NPC would be perfect for Gaga and lets face it the girl can sing i have heard her sign all types of music .

Her real name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta .

She is also a good actress.

Whether or not CD Projekt Red should be spending part of it's development budget on hiring A-list actors (and that includes Lady Gaga, who is now an Oscar-nominated actress), they'll likely get a very good performance from her.

I'm looking forward to it. Getting to chill in Omikron and watch a mini David Bowie concert was one of my favorite interruptions in any game I've ever played. I got Omikron as a gift originally and ended up buying David Bowie's album and the game again from GOG. I laugh at the low poly stuff now but the game's intro cut scene with David Bowie's New Angel's of Promise is still very cool.

The only question is, how much is she gettitng paid, assuming this partnership is actually happening? That'll be the hair in the soup. After all, CDPR will probably want a return on their investment.

I think they did get back their investment already, it shows CDPR has connections out of poland too, aka they are big players. Just to get Gaga, more than half of the gaming companies cant pull that off. Money well spent, imho. Muscle bulging is good strategy.

Also I dont see why they cant put celebrities in the game, celebrities live in big cities and Night City is the most awesome one, so why shouldnt there be celebrities.

Last edited:
I think they did get back their investment already, it shows CDPR has connections out of poland too, aka they are big players. Just to get Gaga, more than half of the gaming companies cant pull that off. Money well spent, imho. Muscle bulging is good strategy.

Also I dont see why they cant put celebrities in the game, celebrities live in big cities and Night City is the most awesome one, so why shouldnt there be celebrities.

I don't think it's that they can't put celebrities in, it's that from a lore perspective, it doesn't make sense to have people like Lady Gaga in-game. They could do it, sure. But aside from marketing purposes, to answer your "why shouldn't there be" question, the answer is simple: lore/artistic consistency. It would be jarring to stumble across several real-life celebrities in a game that already has many, many of its own lore-friendly options with their own relevant backstories and role in the world.

If they were to put a celebrity in the game, it would not likely be that celebrity. It would be a fictional version of them that they voice act and perform motion capture for.

I don't think it's that they can't put celebrities in, it's that from a lore perspective, it doesn't make sense to have people like Lady Gaga in-game. They could do it, sure. But aside from marketing purposes, to answer your "why shouldn't there be" question, the answer is simple: lore/artistic consistency. It would be jarring to stumble across several real-life celebrities in a game that already has many, many of its own lore-friendly options with their own relevant backstories and role in the world.

If they were to put a celebrity in the game, it would not likely be that celebrity. It would be a fictional version of them that they voice act and perform motion capture for.

Why cant you use real world celebrities in fictious IP based on real life. Go every town in the world, and they are proud of their celebrities or even anybody whos slightly famous. Night City should have the best ones, some damn Johnny Silverhand isnt qonna to cut it.

Top Bottom