Celebrities in Video games a Good Idea?

+
I don't think it's that they can't put celebrities in, it's that from a lore perspective, it doesn't make sense to have people like Lady Gaga in-game. They could do it, sure. But aside from marketing purposes, to answer your "why shouldn't there be" question, the answer is simple: lore/artistic consistency. It would be jarring to stumble across several real-life celebrities in a game that already has many, many of its own lore-friendly options with their own relevant backstories and role in the world.

If they were to put a celebrity in the game, it would not likely be that celebrity. It would be a fictional version of them that they voice act and perform motion capture for.

There are so many 2020 characters i would love to see in 2077 , Johnny , Alt , Morgan . I am also looking forward to meeting new ones like Lizzy Wizzy.

This is why I boycott games that have celebs in it. Celebrities = cancer of society.
Nevertheless the game aside looks great.

I'll say it like this: If the celeb FITS in the game/has a passion for the material/contributes something BESIDES "Cover art candy", why not. If all they are there for is to "Put diamond earrings on a pig." or spout some sort of agenda outside the confines of the game? I don't want that nor would want to see that. Just saying.

Why cant you use real world celebrities in fictious IP based on real life. Go every town in the world, and they are proud of their celebrities or even anybody whos slightly famous. Night City should have the best ones, some damn Johnny Silverhand isnt qonna to cut it.
:|

Lady Gaga is actually really awesome. Amazing talent, down to earth and pretty. And I'm not even a fan of her.

I don't have a consistent opinion on celebrities in games. Sometimes they really ruin something for me. Like I have next door to zero interest in playing Death Stranding because I just don't want to play as fucking Norman Reedus. I still didn't play Beyond Two Souls because I don't want to play as Ellen Page. It's a different matter when a character is INSPIRED by a celebrity or being voiced by a celebrity. They can bring their talent and actually enhance unique characters. There are also cases when celebrities have cameos in games. I'm usually not a fan of that, because if the rest of the game doesn't use real people scans for NPC and protagonists, but there's suddenly a hyper-realistic portrayal of some singer or actor, it breaks immersion. One of recent examples - Blood & Wine. It was so bizarre to see stylized characters and among them a realistic-looking woman. No bueno.

In the end, there are just too many variables. Depends on how it's handled. Most of the time the only reason for that - promotion. Not artistic intent.

I don't really have an opinion on Lady Gaga. I don't think shes awesome or not awesome. I think she's perhaps a bit overrated, but that's it.

My main concern is lore consistency, and although Cyberway clearly feels differently, I think fictional worlds should have fictional characters that make sense within those worlds.

Lady Gaga -- as herself -- does not belong in Cyberpunk 2077. This is nothing against her personally. No celebrity should "be themself" in the game's world. This is not 2019 America. It's 2077, in a fictionalized version of America (heck, it's not even really America anymore, is it?). It has its own characters with rich backstories.

It'd be like saying GTA V should have had real-life celebrities to be successful. Ridiculous notion...

Throwing her in for the sake of starpower would be a bit silly. I don't mind her being in if she's A. Excited about the project/good at it and B. not playing herself.

She has proven she can act, so at least one portion of that criteria may already be met.

Maybe it’s because I’m not into celebrity culture, but am I one of the few people who doesn’t care whether Gaga is in or out?

I think she did “Pokerface” that one time, but that’s pretty much all I know about her. If she’s not performing Pokerface within the game, I’ll completely miss the reference of whatever NPC is supposed to be her.

If she’s in, I hope her performance and pay is as good as any other of the game’s many talented actors and that she’ll fit within the setting. If not, I’ll be none the wiser.

Maybe it’s because I’m not into celebrity culture, but am I one of the few people who doesn’t care whether Gaga is in or out?

I think she did “Pokerface” that one time, but that’s pretty much all I know about her. If she’s not performing Pokerface within the game, I’ll completely miss the reference of whatever NPC is supposed to be her.

If she’s in, I hope her performance and pay is as good as any other of the game’s many talented actors and that she’ll fit within the setting. If not, I’ll be none the wiser.

You watch movies with celebrities though. Celebrities are everywhere, you dont need celeb culture in order to like them, celebs are nothing more than tools for bigger industry.

Must be nice living in a bubble...
Do you know how the industry works who makes most of the money and what is marking? Do you know what marketing from the industry can do? Can market a hack into talented genius. Is all about who has your back. Look around the music industry is filled with them and the reason music is mediocre. The decide what will make it in mainstream the recording houses / movie industry.
Have you ever invested in stocks in entertainment industry? You invest in celebs or industry houses?
Bubble? I give two sh about celebs or the industry which is highly politicized too... for that matter even as investor, is the last industry I care.

Anyway to get to the point and not go Off topic.

Celebs in this case are hired to do marketing, that's all what is about..

Last edited:
The entire thing is about marketing, and likely why we got so few dialog lines with Emhyr...because they were so damn expensive.

The entire thing is about marketing, and likely why we got so few dialog lines with Emhyr...because they were so damn expensive.
He was actually very good at his role, though. It fit well.

Now, could they have spent significantly less on somebody just as good, if not even better, who was lesser known/didn't have star power behind them? Absolutely. But if they must do celebrity cameos of some sort, I'd like them to be like Emhyr - thematic and fitting for the character.

Not saying he was perfect, of course.

I was just thinking that for who will play with the game dubbed in another language, whoever they cast (I mean VIP) is completely useless (except for marketing) :ROFLMAO:

Even if voice over actors in my country are top notch, this is valid only for movies. Videogames usually have mixed results, sometimes everything is relatevely bad, sometimes main characters are great but the rest is bad (or done by only few people, so you hear the same voices again and again). I recently tried god of war in my language and it's pretty good, but kratos has a normal voice and not as deep as cristopher judge (we don't have many black guys around), atreus is dubbed by a woman (underage people can't work here, in any case) and the others are just fine, not great as in english.

TW3 was only in english for us, I wonder how CP will be (VO confirmed)

Last edited:

You have hit the nail on head here. All this Lady Gaga stuff is as good as any marketing some hot shot could think of , all that free publicity .

You have hit the nail on head here. All this Lady Gaga stuff is as good as any marketing some hot shot could think of , all that free publicity .
Everything right, except it's not for free. Those VIP are expensive.

Unless... lady gaga is not in the game at all and this rumor is free publicity for real.

Top Bottom