Challenge to tell me what is so new/innovative/never done before in CP?

+
An opinion shared, except I watched Blade Runner after following Judge Dredd's comic-strip adventures in Mega City One, and playing on a Commodore Vic-20 and ZX Spectrum, imagining a future gameworld like NIght City. Only had to wait 30 years, not bad in the grander scheme of things ;)
I have the impression that if you grew up with Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Demolition man, Judge Dred, among others... this is the game you have always been waiting for.

Last edited:
Hey,
cool topic :)

For me, there are many things, e.g.:
- completely custom(ized) environment and lore (based on pen and paper)
- custom vision of NC (posters&graffiti, music, level design, characters,...)
- storytelling (unique premise and approach, endings, mood, non-marked secrets, dialogues,...)
- graphics (view distance, mesh amount and quality, attention to detail, interactivity, animations,...)
- sauce (tarot cards, Delamain, ARG, PoI, stories between lines, different themes of CP as religion, humanity,...)
- technical (as ironic as it sounds, I think they did an amazing job with multiplatform, optimization, streaming, animation, lighting. reflections,...and amount of it all,... )

I think that the game is actually insane in many aspects, though it's a shame that the bugs and unfinished content pull it down (in the eyes of gamers) so much.

I am currently on my second playthrough and I am starting to think about it as an underrated, timeless, genre-defining gem, similar to what Gothic was in its age. It may be shallow, unbalanced, unintuitive, broken, linear,...(from time to time,) but it has a strong concept, soul, mood, ideology and (proper) non-linear endings and is all-well worked out.
What more to ask for? :)
[...]
There is nothing new/innovative written in your post about this game.

- completely custom(ized) environment and lore (based on pen and paper)
- custom vision of NC (posters&graffiti, music, level design, characters,...)
I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

- storytelling (unique premise and approach, endings, mood, non-marked secrets, dialogues,...)
There is nothing so innovative or unique about the story, but i can grant that it is very well done, and i must say it would have been a better idea to make this a linear game with this kind of storytelling.

- graphics (view distance, mesh amount and quality, attention to detail, interactivity, animations,...)
Just look at this:
09T8BlUgkKOovYh3c_wjC1aPAMUHCkNj0ZjKm-WxWNA.jpg
And what is this "interactivity" you're talking about?

- sauce (tarot cards, Delamain, ARG, PoI, stories between lines, different themes of CP as religion, humanity,...)
You mean "lore"? Because according this logic every new videogame IP has something innovative about it.

- technical (as ironic as it sounds, I think they did an amazing job with multiplatform, optimization, streaming, animation, lighting. reflections,...and amount of it all,... )
Please i know that you love this game but you should not be dishonest about the technical state of this game, the graphics is cool and all, but the optimization is very bad, and that is not an opinion.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, i just think your post is completely wrong about the topic of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the mentioning of Fallout 4 and cyberpunk 2077 in the same sentence is a joke in itself.

Every game of a particular genre always has elements of the games that came before them. Developers can take those elements and turn them into a completely different experience and level. You may not have anything [new] but it is the way they are implemented that can make them different. Graphics, animations, characters, game world and the list goes on.
Post automatically merged:

Please i know that you love this game but you should not be dishonest about the technical state of this game, the graphics is cool and all, but the optimization is very bad, and that is not an opinion.

Yes it is an opinion! No amount of optimization of the game, is going to make it run on a potato, or on a computer in which the owner does not know how to optimize their computer for gaming. Adding a video card, is not making a gaming machine. People seem to forget that there's cheap memory and there it is high end super fast memory. The same goes with the quality of your hard drive, and your CPU, and your monitor. These things are what make a difference between a desktop computer, and an actual gaming computer. And this is why I have no problem whatsoever running this game on maximum settings! I own a gaming computer.

Last edited:
i just think your post is completely wrong about the topic of this thread.
Yeah, fair enough, I will try to clarify as shortly as possible:
I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
They build up all the game based on (only?) (mostly?) textual rulebook...?
It looks (to me) that there's a reason for why things are the way they are - e.g. solar blocks and powerplant outside of NC, wastelands (all around) NC, tons of trash everywhere, graffiti, street shops, industrial areas, city centre, Heist team's death, V's hallucinations, conversations with Johny, differences in endings,...

I think that there's a reason behind level and character design and that the game extends the lore rather than denies it.
Also the mottos: Never fade away, never stop fighting, CP is not about saving humanity but myself,... :)

There is nothing so innovative or unique about the story, but i can grant that it is very well done, and i must say it would have been a better idea to make this a linear game with this kind of storytelling.
Yeah, maybe. What's interesting for me (among many others) is that you have an angry companion in your head so you're kinda playing 2in1. That's something I think I haven't seen yet. Also, in some of the endings, you can become "immortal", that is, in CP meaning. Also, you (can) get to answer some (of today's) burning questions about humanity, immortality, psyche, life, motivation and goals,...
Just look at this:
Yeah, it seems that the graphics look different for each of us... :D
There's not much to say. Until its (fully) patched and optimized, you will have to play for the story :O
At least it looks pretty well on PC and some of the consoles as well for now.
And what is this "interactivity" you're talking about?
Destructible environment, cars can get damaged, street stuff like lights, roadblocks, trash, etc...can be broken or moved, machines(vending machines, TVs, reflectors,...) can be hacked, radios can be switched on/off or turned a channel, car interiors show stuff like speed and some texts, phone calls show holos of characters, you can rewind and replay BDs, chips can be hacked to download money or display secret messages, newsletters and stuff can be (zoomed in) and read, computers can be used to read messages (find info and stuff), you can listen to TV, radio and billboards to find more about the lore and (recent) in-game events...
Etc,...it depends on what you consider to be the "interactivity" target...
You mean "lore"? Because according this logic every new videogame IP has something innovative about it.

Mostly yes. What I like is that there's more content than what is told or showed. E.g.: ARG, statues with codes, Mr Blue eyes, mysticism (tarot, relic, meditation,...), ethics of AI(Delamain, Skippy, relic,...), (shards with lore messages),...
Let's just say that the game represents some of the topics from fresh (and more recent?) angles :)
but the optimization is very bad, and that is not an opinion.
Yes, though I think that if they didn't do anything the game wouldn't be playable even on rtx3090 :)
The game seems to not perform well (only on) the older hardware and I hope that optimization is only a matter of time...
But I get that on (some instances) of consoles it is unplayable.

Last edited:
I never said the game wasn't looking great, It was awsome on PS4 Pro after first patch/hotfixes but then it went downhill quickly.
I never said it was a bad game or bad storytelling.

Simply what is so new and innovative and mind blowing hard to code that it is fine with crashes like this ?
Save file size corrrupting saves ?
Evry craft or maybe even everything done in game is saved as some sort of log into savefile ?? ( even a junior coder just gotten his degree would know that this is very bad design, bloating the save file for no reasons since that log cannot be accessed by players in the game, so why save this information ? )

Even if CP would have some advanced statistics like WoW and some other games, you only save numbers, like crafted 200 items, not every single full line of text for each of the 200 crafts.

You would also not do armor decreasing/ignoring perks when there is no armor on npc's ? ( crap like that has to be done by, I don't even know how to describe that kind of design )

And fine this might been because there was not enough time, but then you should also just remove the perk from the game until it is changed or fixed, or even just put something else there instead.

I enjoyed the game alot, but still and don't give me it should not been released on current gen console, I read forums here and low end and budget pc had some same problems as console.

In my opinion GOT should then had same issues on console as CP it is beautiful, but it hasn't same problems.
And I don't buy the it's a city it's harder to do, in GOT you don't stumble on pebble and do a faceplant.

GOT has some annoying things also but since it almost never crashes, I did manage to crash this game also so even GOT has a minor memory leak or resource leak somewhere. But it crashed after I had it running for something like 72 hours straight because I never turned the console off when I slept and I played again as soon as I woke up.

But GOT even during that never went into a Slowmo mode. But that is one crash in something like 200+ hours of play and it came after about that long time so no big surprise. Almost no game on console can be kept running 24/7 that long, they a few and far between.

For me one of the most annoying things is the climbing and if you played it you know what I mean, other then that it's a great game. But just as CP there isn't anything new or innovative. Still a very good game, but since there isn't anything that hasn't been done already there is almost no bugs and glitches.

I never said the game wasn't looking great, It was awsome on PS4 Pro after first patch/hotfixes but then it went downhill quickly.

Simply what is so new and innovative and mind blowing hard to code that it is fine with crashes like this ?
Evry craft or maybe even everything done in game is saved as some sort of log into savefile ?? ( even a junior coder just gotten his degree would know that this is very bad design, bloating the save file for no reasons since that log cannot be accessed by players in the game, so why save this information ? )

Even if CP would have some advanced statistics like WoW and some other games, you only save numbers, like crafted 200 items, not every single full line of text for each of the 200 crafts.

You would also not do armor decreasing/ignoring perks when there is no armor on npc's ? ( crap like that has to be done by, I don't even know how to describe that kind of design )

And fine this might been because there was not enough time, but then you should also just remove the perk from the game until it is changed or fixed, or even just put something else there instead.

I enjoyed the game alot, but still and don't give me it should not been released on current gen console, I read forums here and low end and budget pc had some same problems as console.

In my opinion GOT should then had same issues on console as CP it is beautiful, but it hasn't same problems.
And I don't buy the it's a city it's harder to do, in GOT you don't stumble on pebble and do a faceplant.

GOT has some annoying things also but since it almost never crashes, I did manage to crash this game also so even GOT has a minor memory leak or resource leak somewhere. But it crashed after I had it running for something like 72 hours straight because I never turned the console off when I slept and I played again as soon as I woke up.

But GOT even during that never went into a Slowmo mode. But that is one crash in something like 200+ hours of play and it came after about that long time so no big surprise. Almost no game on console can be kept running 24/7 that long, they a few and far between.

For me one of the most annoying things is the climbing and if you played it you know what I mean, other then that it's a great game. But just as CP there isn't anything new or innovative. Still a very good game, but since there isn't anything that hasn't been done already there is almost no bugs and glitches.
Well, the Braindance. At least I haven't seen a game using this. And again, I don't mean analyzing the data from collected evidence in Detroit become human, digging and manipulating memories like in Remeber me, or manipulating the time in Life is strange. I mean Gibson's concept for braindance that can be explored here: we have an actor who records everything through the senses (visual, thermal, sound ) and this is edited by BD editors like Judy. I also haven't seen another game using the doll chip concept.

what is GOT

If you are asking why technically the game is buggy, the game is not created with an old commonly used engine. Its also pushing the specifications of old Gen. The amount of assets it has to stream is immense. It doesn't have loading screens, its a multilevel city, and it has tons of textures, npcs and objects. It is a new game, on a new engine, doing hefty things, made by a growing studio.

some of the buggyness may be the skills and experience of the development team, however its not as if bugs are intentional and easily avoided. Trust that if bugs were easily avoided in this situation, they would have avoided it

For me, it's indisputably Night City (a work of art for me) and the universe. I wait for a game like this since... i watch Blade Runner and i play on Master System :D

I love Fallout very much and play all since Fallout 3 (finish Fallout 4 when i waiting CP release).
But if i must compare, in fallout the world is mostly empty (some creaturs and enemy, but it's all), the weapons are boring, you had a load screen every time you enter in a zone/building, the character's are not soo good and the musics (we don't talk about it).

When first play (corpo), during the path to Lizzie'Bar, I had chills and the impression of hearing Vangelis. No other i had those moments.

But this is only my opinion and is binding on me ;)
This! Night City is just amazingly well done. It really has the feeling of being an actual city.

I have the impression that if you grew up with Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Demolition man, Judge Dred, among others... this is the game you have always been waiting for.
Not Ghost In The Shell, I've nothing against anime / manga etc but it came after 2000AD so for me it was always a bit after-the-fact. I know for sure that there's several I would utterly love, including Ghost In The Shell, just never really bothered to get round to them. Demolition Man was a) a Stallone movie, and thus an insult to anyone's intelligence, but also, like Robocop but less funny, a blatant rip of Judge Dredd so my teen self was less than impressed. TBH Robocop is the bigger direct rip-off but I could handle that as it was done so good.
Ultimately though, sure, my first hours in Night City, having expected nothing from the game besides seeing what all the fuss was about regarding its psn removal, were mindblowing, literally like watching and playing Tales From Mega City One. It's brilliant. [...] Roll on the CP DLC, and if it's 2050 when it arrives, so be it. On the subject of Blade Runner, just picked up the Final Cut edition dvd for £1 from the local freshly re-opened CEX, ain't seen that yet so bring it on (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that Akira (anime) and Dredd (with Carl Urban) had the most influence over cyberpunk the game. Akira because of the city, bikes and the general feel of the city, Dredd because of the megablocks and pure violence. You can take people down without killing. But nobody will blame you for splashing them against the wall.

Let me try to understand you, and firstly to clarify one thing. No it is not okay. No matter how much innovation you put in a game, if it is janky, it is janky. And nothing can 'justify' the way CP 2077 launch state. Nobody said it is "OK". The game should've been delayed until mid 2021, even early 2022, and CDPR know that. But the question is? Can they make it better?

However, does all those things could deny what CDPR trying to achieve with Night City? And yes I have to agree with a lot of people in this thread that Night City is the 'innovative' thing that CP2077 do. I dare say that Night City is a city unprecedented in scale. Yes it is janky, yes it is unoptimized, but I believe it is because the scale of the city itself, never done before in any video game. Period. GTA V definitely has a city, but I am sorry, but I think you should look past the hate train and really, really compare Night City and Los Santos. The dirt, the trash, the graffiti, look at the attention of detail and while doing it, really grasp the verticality of Night City, compared it with Los Santos. Not to mention the amount of NPCs running around, I can only remember AC Unity is the only game with significantly more NPC Density than CP. I can say perhaps CDPR getting too ambitious and biting more than they can chew. But I want to believe with time, they can optimize the game, albeit with some compromise.

I would say though, comparing Ghost of Tsushima (I assume, when u said GOT) and CP2077 is a bit unfair, due to the reason of texture density and verticality. Similarly, with games like RDR2 (beautiful and immersive game, one of my favorite, but there are a lot of empty spaces), God of War (linear adventure game), and The Last of Us 2 (linear adventure game). Night City alone, consume much more memory than any instances in GoT.

In the end, this is the first project with this kind of scale for CDPR, and I think their mistake is getting confused whether they should take Deux Ex route or GTA V route, instead of taking the Deus Ex Road all the way. I want to believe that CDPR can get through this and make the best out of CP2077. For now though, I am happy enough with the story, although I would be elated if they could let us play the 6 months montage with Jackie.

Cheers!

you are really comparing night city and los santos on detail?... los santos is a granny night city just new born - if u want to compare details in graphic wait for gta 6, i bet that will totally turn the table around - if we just talk about graphic standards. feature vise its embarrassing that granny los santos is still way upfront in physics and ai. - and no that is by no means a hate train. its fact.

If RockStar keep the same gameplay (since GTA3...Heavy character and difficult to maneuver), even the open world is great and beautiful, i don't buy it full price :D
thehe true :D - it was just to show that it doesnt make sense to compare these cities at all. with that time gab between standards its clearly no doubt that night city currently looks way better than los santos x'D - but honestly im really looking forward what R* will bring on the table in terms of details, weather-cycles and physics in their next title... really curious ;p

Last edited:
you are really comparing night city and los santos on detail?... los santos is a granny night city just new born - if u want to compare details in graphic wait for gta 6, i bet that will totally turn the table around - if we just talk about graphic standards. feature vise its embarrassing that granny los santos is still way upfront in physics and ai. - and no that is by no means a hate train. its fact.

And with that comment, I believe that, instead of trying to understand what a lot of people in this thread trying to say, you are just trying to win the argument. So I rest my case.

Anyway, I am for one, is more than happy if GTA could create a city with a scale of night city, and story as deep as CP2077.

And with that comment, I believe that, instead of trying to understand what a lot of people in this thread trying to say, you are just trying to win the argument. So I rest my case.

Anyway, I am for one, is more than happy if GTA could create a city with a scale of night city, and story as deep as CP2077.
i wasnt the one who brought this comparison on the table in the first place o_O - you said we should really really really compare them in detail (GTA V definitely has a city, but I am sorry, but I think you should look past the hate train and really, really compare Night City and Los Santos. The dirt, the trash, the graffiti, look at the attention of detail and while doing it, really grasp the verticality of Night City, compared it with Los Santos.)- what absolutly makes no sense to take a 6 year old game in this case... naturally NC wins in any points - its not about arguments its about logic... and i also agreed that night city looks way better without a doubt too... i dont get your point : /

Last edited:
So what in this game is so fresh/new and so on to excuse the poor state the game is in even after patch 1.2 ?
Some may say BD and my answer is: Detroit: Become human ( might be others )
Some may say implants and my answer is: Fallout: NW, Fallout 4 ( might be others )
Weapon mods: Just no, been there done that.
Crafting ? : Umm done very very VERY long ago.
Perks?: Same as above
Clothes/Armor with mods: Same as above.
Character customization?: Well umm same as above.
Open world in first person ?: Daggerfall made for DOS, as much open world it could be at the time of release.

So please inform me what is so new and great in this game to excuse crashing ever 1-2 hours of play ?

I have 300+ hours... 2 crashes...

---

Night City - Its as much a character as any one of the main characters in the game.

Few franchises manage this feeling of setting as character, i think the 1st deadspace nails it - that ship is a character
I think batman does it with Gotham City

but i mean most games are just following a formula... how is any marvel movie different from the tim burton's first batman? oh graphically? well they didnt have cgi back then for movies. so i guess they just continue to use the formula with new technology.... kind of like how this rpg is built on the backs of other rpg's

i mean... why have sex... im pretty sure its all be invented or recorded at least once? so we should just stop doing that...

Boss: You're late...
Me: Yeah but I was on time the first day!
Boss: Oh Yeah! Carry on!

please

when you can...

Challenge to tell me what is so new/innovative/never done before by this Post?​

i wasnt the one who brought this comparison on the table in the first place o_O - you said we should really really really compare them in detail (GTA V definitely has a city, but I am sorry, but I think you should look past the hate train and really, really compare Night City and Los Santos. The dirt, the trash, the graffiti, look at the attention of detail and while doing it, really grasp the verticality of Night City, compared it with Los Santos.)- what absolutly makes no sense to take a 6 year old game in this case... naturally NC wins in any points - its not about arguments its about logic... and i also agreed that night city looks way better without a doubt too... i dont get your point : /
Thread is about what is new in Cyberpunk, so comparing Los Santos to Night City is valid, to see innovations and progress in many areas, you have to compare games to see it. Same will happen when next big open world with city will arrive.
Strong point of Night City is: it's fully ftictional and futuristic, so developers can go crazy with it, doing interesting stuff, when GTA cities have to be more grounded in reality, so harder to achieve 'wow' effect.
I agree : Akira and Dredd are most visible influences, but you can see GITS, Blade Runner etc...

Top Bottom