Challenge to tell me what is so new/innovative/never done before in CP?

+
For me, the most innovative thing about CP2077 is that you are NOT the 'chosen one'. Unlike almost every other RPG out there, you are not here to save the world. You're not here to bring about some sort of "Golden Age". You are in this for pure self interest. V does not give a crap about what happens to the world as a whole, and the world doesn't really care about V either. V only bothers with a select few he/she cares about, and they can take a flying leap as well if you decide to go that route.

For me, the most innovative thing about CP2077 is that you are NOT the 'chosen one'. Unlike almost every other RPG out there, you are not here to save the world. You're not here to bring about some sort of "Golden Age". You are in this for pure self interest. V does not give a crap about what happens to the world as a whole, and the world doesn't really care about V either. V only bothers with a select few he/she cares about, and they can take a flying leap as well if you decide to go that route.
yeah thats an interessting part for me too - but on the other hand its also the reason why so many player hate the current endings i guess ^^

Nothing. Thats the thing with CDPR, they take what other ones great developers did mostly Bioware and try to copy. Cyberpunk is, Borderlands, Deus Ex light, Witcher 3 (not enough though), some bioware game, Open World design is slightly above Ubisoft qualitiy.

I guess whats unique to them is they usually write some good characters. I'm missing some compelling antagonists though, Witcher 1 and 2 had great ones. Witcher 3 needed to have expansions to fix that flaw, sadly Cyberpunks is Adam who is just a boring brute, scary one i give them that but boring. Yes i know Cyberpunks antagonist is the city itself, very deep. It could have worked in theory but the city they created is pretty but shallow.

Lots of off-topic posts deleted. Topic is not how much you dislike the game, topic is very clearly defined in the thread title. Please stay on topic.

I guess whats unique to them is they usually write some good characters. I'm missing some compelling antagonists though, Witcher 1 and 2 had great ones. Witcher 3 needed to have expansions to fix that flaw, sadly Cyberpunks is Adam who is just a boring brute, scary one i give them that but boring. Yes i know Cyberpunks antagonist is the city itself, very deep. It could have worked in theory but the city they created is pretty but shallow.

I think that V is both protagonist (as the player avatar) and antagonist (Johnny's engram). An interesting plot device, and certainly novel, but inherently flawed. Would work very well in a book or movie, but not so much in a game.
Smasher is/was Johnny's antagonist and does not translate over to being V's very well, if at all.

I think that V is both protagonist (as the player avatar) and antagonist (Johnny's engram). An interesting plot device, and certainly novel, but inherently flawed. Would work very well in a book or movie, but not so much in a game.
Smasher is/was Johnny's antagonist and does not translate over to being V's very well, if at all.

the antagonist is the world.

This is variation of man vs society, or maybe man versus fate.

Johnny isn't an antagonist, he does not create the conflict in the story, well unless you are a die hard corpo, but even then its really society/fate you are fighting, to get back into the graces of your masters.

So what in this game is so fresh/new and so on to excuse the poor state the game is in even after patch 1.2 ?
Some may say BD and my answer is: Detroit: Become human ( might be others )
Some may say implants and my answer is: Fallout: NW, Fallout 4 ( might be others )
Weapon mods: Just no, been there done that.
Crafting ? : Umm done very very VERY long ago.
Perks?: Same as above
Clothes/Armor with mods: Same as above.
Character customization?: Well umm same as above.
Open world in first person ?: Daggerfall made for DOS, as much open world it could be at the time of release.

So please inform me what is so new and great in this game to excuse crashing ever 1-2 hours of play ?
they rely on the player using an SSD to play the game, despite releasing it on ps4 and xbox one.......

Well, the thread has been necroed, so I'll bite.

To me what was unique was the narrative coherence at a thematic level.

Outside completely linear games, I've never seen a game take its narrative and philosophical themes (which already put it in a rarefied space seeing as most games simply don't *have* any philosophical themes) and incorporate them so thoroughly into its world design (see the adverts, the newscasts, even the design details like the religious iconography, the quiet gardens wrapped in glass, the Arasaka memorial), the side quests, the little discoveries littered around the map and its main quests.

If played by exploration and not rushing the main quest, the whole game works to further the themes and feeds directly into how the endings land on the player.

I found that extremely impressive. Jaw dropping, actually. And I find it rather sad that the game doesn't signpost its detail to players more as a result, because my God a lot of thinking must have gone into it.

Well, the thread has been necroed, so I'll bite.

To me what was unique was the narrative coherence at a thematic level.

Outside completely linear games, I've never seen a game take its narrative and philosophical themes (which already put it in a rarefied space seeing as most games simply don't *have* any philosophical themes) and incorporate them so thoroughly into its world design (see the adverts, the newscasts, even the design details like the religious iconography, the quiet gardens wrapped in glass, the Arasaka memorial), the side quests, the little discoveries littered around the map and its main quests.

If played by exploration and not rushing the main quest, the whole game works to further the themes and feeds directly into how the endings land on the player.

I found that extremely impressive. Jaw dropping, actually. And I find it rather sad that the game doesn't signpost its detail to players more as a result, because my God a lot of thinking must have gone into it.
Oh, I'll bite too (bit less) :)
I totally agree !
Post automatically merged:

A bit more :)
A striking example for me, is Joshua's quest (There Is A Light That Never Goes Out). If we take the quest like that (without context), we might wonder why CDPR chose to do this... Are they crazy...?
But just at the very end, if we take the time to speak with johnny (which is optional), the quest makes perfect sense. And is totally in line with the theme.

Last edited:
Oh, I'll bite too (bit less) :)
I totally agree !
Post automatically merged:

A bit more :)
A striking example for me, is Joshua's quest (There Is A Light That Never Goes Out). If we take the quest like that (without context), one might wonder why CDPR chose to do this... Are they crazy...?
But just at the very end, if we take the time to speak with johnny (which is optional), the quest makes perfect sense. And is totally in line with the theme.
I love the conversation with the Buddhists brothers after doing their quest, I was totally surprised to meet them at Cherry blossom market and have a chat with them about soul and constructs :)
and if you do the quest with bloodshed they refuse to speak

Guest 3847602

Makes me wonder how many of those who are criticizing gigs and NCPD scanner hustles for being storyless, copy-paste, low-effort content ever bothered to read emails and shards. Or returned to check what happens at the locations where points of interest used to be.

As for the question, I'd say it's Night City itself. I don't remember any other modern or futuristic city in video game looking big enough to house realistic-sized population and diversity of its architecture is unparalleled.

Makes me wonder how many of those who are criticizing gigs and NCPD scanner hustles for being storyless, copy-paste, low-effort content ever bothered to read emails and shards. Or returned to check what happens at the locations where points of interest used to be.

As for the question, I'd say it's Night City itself. I don't remember any other modern or futuristic city in video game looking big enough to house realistic-sized population and diversity of its architecture is unparalleled.
I think the problem with using shards as a mechanic is that a lot of people DON'T read them, possibly because they're used to Elder Scrolls or similar style meaningless verbal diarrhoea that adds nothing significant to the game (whereas in CP even the background fluff shards are concise, well written and remain actually relevant to the game). And that's a legit attitude depending on your play style. So their contents do get missed.

Also, a lot of the content that contributes to the narrative is found by exploration but exploration is discouraged by too many fast travel points, the suggestion that the main quest must be rushed and quests being ready-populated on the map.

It's a shame because there is so much narrative depth but the game almost seems to be trying to hide it, so half the time when you mention this people will genuinely think you're joking.

It's a shame because there is so much narrative depth but the game almost seems to be trying to hide it, so half the time when you mention this people will genuinely think you're joking.
Yep, that's true.
But selfishly, I find it good. Because when you find informations like that on your own, it's like a little reward :)
(like when I discover why Evy doing that, Who recommend me to the Peralez or simply where's Tucker Albach car was been destroyed...)

The shards are much like item descriptions in Soulsborne games to me - there's a ton of layers of story, detail and background lying in them, but the majority of players (for socio-psychological reasons we won't get into here) aren't gonna read them. That's their problem and also their prerogative. For those that do, richness and depths reveal themselves, making for a more rewarding experience. Indeed I love the way the entirety of the story is told this way in Souls games, you HAVE to work for it. Doesn't seem to have affected those games' popularity or sales figures and I'd not expect it to affect CP either.

The shards are much like item descriptions in Soulsborne games to me - there's a ton of layers of story, detail and background lying in them, but the majority of players (for socio-psychological reasons we won't get into here) aren't gonna read them. That's their problem and also their prerogative. For those that do, richness and depths reveal themselves, making for a more rewarding experience. Indeed I love the way the entirety of the story is told this way in Souls games, you HAVE to work for it. Doesn't seem to have affected those games' popularity or sales figures and I'd not expect it to affect CP either.
Shard but also some messages that you find on computers.
While its just several lines of text, but everytime I read about the situation of Loviisa Kaukonen I want to find the closest droppoint and send over something that would be useful. However you simply can't.

I sometimes wish, really wish this was a tiny little gig where you can either send some cash or kiroshi's, via a fixer if need be.
And that some time after you see a reply to that message saying something along the lines of "Great many thanks to the anonymous donator!"
It would be one of them little feel good moments right then and there.

The game world is very unique compared to other games I have played. I don't recall anything previously that sits in the space between Deus Ex and GTA. It's both serious and fun. I like that a lot.

The interactive dialogue system that allows the player to act during the dialogue while also having great writing is different than anything I've played before.

First i saw Night Night as innovative, but I do not think so anymore:
Considering the art, it is really good, but inferior to Rapture, Columbia, Prague (Deus Ex), Paris (Unity) and even Gotham (Arkham Knight).
Considering the interaction, it falls short when comparing to Prague (Deus EX), in which you have a far better exploration, detail and general atmosphere and immersion. I know, Prague is not an actual open world.
About attempted world simulation, there is a great effort in Nigh City, but it is inferior to Fallout games (mainly NV), where we have a feel that the NPCs are really doing something.

The quickhacking/stealth/shooting combination is something innovative, can't remember something like this before. The combination allows a very wide options to deal with enemies and develop tactics.

What really shines in Cyberpunk is its story, Night City works as the perfect background (it is clear that the city was designed for this). Is hard to find mature stories like this in gaming. There is no motive for a good story to have a happy ending, the better are the ones that have a plausible/logic sequence of events. Given the initial conditions, the events unfolded as they should . I would spend hours to defend the main story and sides.

First i saw Night Night as innovative, but I do not think so anymore:
Considering the art, it is really good, but inferior to Rapture, Columbia, Prague (Deus Ex), Paris (Unity) and even Gotham (Arkham Knight).
Considering the interaction, it falls short when comparing to Prague (Deus EX), in which you have a far better exploration, detail and general atmosphere and immersion. I know, Prague is not an actual open world.
About attempted world simulation, there is a great effort in Nigh City, but it is inferior to Fallout games (mainly NV), where we have a feel that the NPCs are really doing something.

The quickhacking/stealth/shooting combination is something innovative, can't remember something like this before. The combination allows a very wide options to deal with enemies and develop tactics.

What really shines in Cyberpunk is its story, Night City works as the perfect background (it is clear that the city was designed for this). Is hard to find mature stories like this in gaming. There is no motive for a good story to have a happy ending, the better are the ones that have a plausible/logic sequence of events. Given the initial conditions, the events unfolded as they should . I would spend hours to defend the main story and sides.
The number of people butthurt that they don't ride off up a rainbow into the sunset on a flying horse amazes me. But, then, some people like the original Blade Runner, so go figure. :-D

Top Bottom