Challenge to tell me what is so new/innovative/never done before in CP?

+
1. An "open-world" futuristic city with a certain degree of verticality and no loading screens, in an rpg game (damn, long I have waited for such a thing, but here it is at last).
2. Generally being able to move around during conversations with npcs - haven't seen it in any other rpg game with a "dialogue tree".
3. Normally I would say Brain Dances, but we already had something similar (to a certain degree) in a game called Remember Me (also great setting by the way).
4. Unseen (at least in my case) level of immersion put into some story dialogue scenes (character animations; sounds like creaking leather when you sit on a coach, nuanced facial animations showing various emotions and different personalities)
5. Probably Johnny as a second main character in the "player's" head throughout the whole story - haven't seen it before in a game.
6. A guy with a grenade as his nose ;)
Post automatically merged:

I noticed a couple of times that "normal" people started to occupy areas "infested" by gangs and cleared by V. In Witcher 3 we had a similar thing with villages cleared by Geralt and then a sequence of people populating those places again. Here it apparently happens without us even knowing - great approach actually (y)

Last edited:
Any examples?
After stealing the basilisk there are Militech agents checking the tower:
photomode_19062021_174957.png

For me, it's indisputably Night City (a work of art for me) and the universe. I wait for a game like this since... i watch Blade Runner and i play on Master System :D

Ultimately Night city is just a map. Nothing special except how good it looks due to modern graphic tech. Their talk about 3-dimensionality fell quite flat. The city is not any more 3-dimensional than maps that have come before it.

V cannot get to roofs of the buildings (except with elevators), nor get much higher than couple stories up. I imagine they planned movement to be more free (as evidenced by the wallrunning videos) but since they couldnt get it done they just cut it off until it was on level with games that came before it. And majority of their map-design effort has concentrated on the main story-mission maps, not Night City as a whole.

Whether indoors is one big 3-dimensional city map or instanced, doesn't make much difference if V can't step out of the designed boundaries. Not to mention the minimap is worse than other games. Mission maps are on level with say, Deus Ex human revolution. Which had way more shortcuts for different cybernetics btw.

Its not revolutionary, just good-looking.

Guest 3847602

I imagine they planned movement to be more free (as evidenced by the wallrunning videos) but since they couldnt get it done they just cut it off until it was on level with games that came before it.
Game balance was the most likely reason it was cut, not some technical issue.
Besides, getting to the rooftop via elevator does not make the game world 2-dimensional. I'm pretty sure that's exactly how things work in real life.
There's no loading screen when you enter the building, interior and rooftop are not separated from the rest of the Night City, they're still a part of the same map and game world.

Last edited by a moderator:
V cannot get to roofs of the buildings (except with elevators), nor get much higher than couple stories up. I imagine they planned movement to be more free (as evidenced by the wallrunning videos) but since they couldnt get it done they just cut it off until it was on level with games that came before it. And majority of their map-design effort has concentrated on the main story-mission maps, not Night City as a whole.

I must be imagining it then, because I can clearly recall parkouring around the rooftops and various other environmental objects quite freely multiple times even without double jump.

As for the wallrun mechanics, it's a misconception, as far as I remember it was related to being able to pin yourself to the wall with the mantis blades rather than full on wallrunning a la Mirror's Edge or Dying Light.

Would have loved a bit more Dying Light freedom of movement in Cyberpunk though, that sounds like crazy fun.

Full ray-trace effects in base version of actual game.

AFAIK previously games used only some of ray-trace capabilities (like only reflections) in limited ways. Anything more required modding them in that often worked only in specific instances (or on certain materials) or just looking at limited demo scenes (like walk-around of single room or building with no gameplay). And the need for special release-day driver from NVIDIA hint's of other features not present in previous titles.

Also..
Very high geometry density. I don't know a single other world that has every corner filled with lifelike amounts of details.
Jali. When it works the animation and emotion is highly believable. Not a hint of "weird mouth movement" or anything like that.

Last edited:
Ultimately Night city is just a map. Nothing special except how good it looks due to modern graphic tech. Their talk about 3-dimensionality fell quite flat. The city is not any more 3-dimensional than maps that have come before it.

Whether indoors is one big 3-dimensional city map or instanced, doesn't make much difference if V can't step out of the designed boundaries. Not to mention the minimap is worse than other games. Mission maps are on level with say, Deus Ex human revolution. Which had way more shortcuts for different cybernetics btw.

Its not revolutionary, just good-looking.

yeah, graphics don't make themselves. you need artists to design and create buildings, layouts etc. And the verticality is extreme. many locations weave above and below others. Also, what exactly are you comparing it to? What game is close to what you are talking about? And you can step outside the mission boundaries all the time, most objectives have multiple methods of reaching an area, or leaving it, including parkour. You probably didnt play the game a lot because you didn't like it, but its extremely open in its mission design. Your beef doesn't add up to whats actually in the game.

Also wall running was not going to be a run 1000 feet in the air mechanic.

I get you don't like the game, but you are creating inaccurate rationalizations for what you think the game is. There are reasons to dislike the game, but freedom of movement and verticality is not a legitimate complaint here, unless you are comparing it to underwater, or flying.

Guest 3847602

I must be imagining it then, because I can clearly recall parkouring around the rooftops and various other environmental objects quite freely multiple times even without double jump.
I think by "climbing the building" s/he meant skyscrapers. Like how the only way to reach quest area in "Psychofan", "Guinea Pigs" or "Fixer, Merc, Soldier, Spy" is to use elevator.

So what in this game is so fresh/new and so on to excuse the poor state the game is in even after patch 1.2 ?
Some may say BD and my answer is: Detroit: Become human ( might be others )
Some may say implants and my answer is: Fallout: NW, Fallout 4 ( might be others )
Weapon mods: Just no, been there done that.
Crafting ? : Umm done very very VERY long ago.
Perks?: Same as above
Clothes/Armor with mods: Same as above.
Character customization?: Well umm same as above.
Open world in first person ?: Daggerfall made for DOS, as much open world it could be at the time of release.

So please inform me what is so new and great in this game to excuse crashing ever 1-2 hours of play ?
Marketing . You gotta admit ads and hype for 8 years was never done before

Marketing . You gotta admit ads and hype for 8 years was never done before

I do not know how it is in the rest of the world but in Latin America there is generally no advertising for video games. With cyberpunk one could even see graffiti and posters everywhere in December.

The almost zero loading times is the only new thing that I see to recognize.
The rest has to be completed as it is still a beta that came out early.

First person cinematography for me. It works very well, in many dialogs and scenes. Very well thought.
The game itself (driving, shooting, exploring, etc.) is another topic.

Nothing is new. I still luv the game. I'M on my third playthrough, so I must see some good in CP2077.

But, yeah, nothing innovative or new.

or "Fixer, Merc, Soldier, Spy" is to use elevator.
You can use the fire escape stairs on the side of building to climb like 40 stories high to the top you are not forced to use the elevator....

and speaking of this Gig its funny when people say there is no options in this game you have like 5 different approaches to get inside the penthouse you can use the fire escape, you can use street kid dialouge option to persuade the receptionist to let you in, you can bribe the receptionist, you can distract the receptionist with technical stat and steal the acces token from his desk, or you can just sneak past him and get the acces token from the back room or you can just kill him and the guards and take the token......

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

and speaking of this Gig its funny when people say there is no options in this game you have like 5 different approaches to get inside the penthouse you can use the fire escape, you can use street kid dialouge option to persuade the receptionist to let you in, you can bribe the receptionist, you can distract the receptionist with technical stat and steal the acces token from his desk, or you can just sneak past him and get the acces token from the back room or you can just kill him and the guards and take the token......
Gigs are the most underappreciated thing about this game. Both from storytelling and gameplay perspective. The amount of effort and attention to detail that went into them is crazy, I'm discovering new ways to complete them in every playthrough and yet, they're somehow testament of CDPR's laziness.

Top Bottom