Chance of crafting items with higher quality than the crafting spec you have?

+
I only have the white recipe (common) for crafting Crunch (increase gun damage) and Armadillo (increase armor), but once in a while I'm able to craft up to purple (epic) versions for them. What determines the chance I have for making higher quality items? I only have level 6 crafting, and I see no crafting perk that increases such chances. In fact, I haven't even got the perks that let me craft epic or legendary items.

The ones that let you 'upgrade' to higher quality without a visible recipe/pattern are generally Iconic pieces, if I recall. Everything else requires an actual pattern to create. Those are usually found as loot, or purchased from a vendor.

I can't recall seeing a perk that gives you a chance to upgrade in quality without a pattern, though there is a perk that gives you a low chance to craft an item without consuming mats.

I'm relatively confident it's based on crafting skill or completely random. I'd think it's the first one but don't quote me on it.

It took me a while to realize those white modification recipes can yield higher quality items too. It's arguably a bit annoying because it leads to unnecessary crafting. Instead of making a couple mods to slap on an item you end up making 20 until you get good versions.

As noted by Valethaar the perks apply to recipes of a specific tier. So to make an epic you need an epic crafting perk. This doesn't appear to apply to those white generic items. It's another example of a mechanic where better clarification is in order (hint hint, updates can probably fit that in there without a ton of work).

I'd add, that little tidbit where a white mod recipe can yield much higher tier items is kind of important. If you didn't know this crafting might seem lackluster. It's really not though, as a mod for armor or something can offer more protection than the armor itself. In fact, it would appear it routinely does as you get to higher level gear. A single armadillo mod can yield like 250 armor, for instance. Even many lvl 50 items don't have 250 base armor.

Without trying to wall of text your simple question, you can use the behavior of those mod recipes to kind of cheat on getting crafting mats too. You can spend white/green mats to make a purple, disassemble it and get higher tier mats. It's not very efficient on mats or time but it's an option.

I've crafted several green, blue, and even purple items from white recipes, so it seems the chances are pretty high. It could also be a bug, and the game simply crafts higher-quality versions by mistake. I've seen visual bugs in the crafting screen too, e.g. crafting regular grenades showing homing grenades being made, etc.

This only happens with mods, and It's based on your character level. You can start crafting epics at level 33, but it's a very low chance. By level 50, you get about 20-30% epics.

Top Bottom