Change Cat Potion effect back to the way it worked in TW1

+
Change Cat Potion effect back to the way it worked in TW1

I can sort of understand why CDPR made some changes to Cat to aid in enemy detection, tracking mechanics, and the like, but i think they really took it too far. In TW1, Cat was basically a temporary gamma increase that made previously dark areas visible.

in TW2, Cat suddenly makes the internals of enemies virtually the only thing you can see, and it really, REALLY takes away from the game experience. take the mines in Vergen, for instance. Cat SHOULD let you see - in color - the level design and enemies. instead, it just shows lots of vein-y shapes and really makes things less clear rather than more clear.

So please, CDPR, bring back the old Cat! or at least combine the old Cat with the new Cat and make it less blatant.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Cat potion either.

I'm actually grateful you don't have to use it much.

it doesn't help that you've got an annoying heartbeat sound in the background and everything besides the enemies' internals is rendered in black and white.

it's not a fun way to fight, and i only used it if i absolutely had to (to track someone).

I think the Cat potion in Witcher 2 is more of a combination of Witcher 1's Cat Potion and the De Vries' Extract. I never really used De Vries' Extract in the first game, but I vaguely remember it had a similar effect to TW2 with seeing enemies through walls and such.

I'm with the OP. Cat potion worked better in TW :)
don't like at all this new Cat effect... neve used the De vries Extract in the original game. Quite uncomfortable.

Btw I've drunk cat potion only exploring Vergen mines. It seems to me that you don't need so much "cat effect" in the game. I mean, darkest areas are a few and in general you can see pretty well everywhere except than in those mines :)

galdor

Forum veteran
I went as far as to go through the mines without using Cat in my second play through. That heartbeat drove me nuts.

I think I only used it once in the entire game. I agree with the OP - I'd like to see it back the way it was.

I never used Cat potion in TW2 as soon as I saw the unfair advantage it gave. This is where they were a bit too enamored with Arkham Asylum. Funny thing is, Batman's detective vision was a broken element of that game. I'd prefer it to be like TW1 as well.

i don't even consider it to be an unfair advantage, considering how awful it makes the game look. i never had a problem picking out enemies when i wasn't using it, so combat with Cat active didn't feel any easier, just more annoying.

maybe they could switch the glowy veins effect to only trigger when an enemy is outside of a certain radius. anything in geralt's immediate vicinity is easy to spot, but it'd be neat if, say, any enemy 20 or more feet away had that glowy effect that would fade as they got closer. and even at 20 feet away, it can be a faint glow, not this radioactive glare that we've got right now. combine that with TW1 Cat's simple gamma change, and i'll be much more inclined to use it.

I guess I am the only one who liked the splinter cell vibe to it?
Especially in stealth segments.

That said, I wouldn't mind making night vision and infrared separate potions.

Didn't like it, I prefer TW1's version better due to me being able to see the natural color of the environment still.

The Cat effect scares me, I used it only once. Now I just increase my monitor brightness while exploring the mines D:

Cyberfrog said:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Cat potion either.

I'm actually grateful you don't have to use it much.

You mean, like, never, really, right? :cool:

I'd only care for Cat potion and ask for it to work like in TW1 if we had those amazing crypts too. I swear, I never played horror games (well, dead space is not really one, is it?) and I'm not easily scared. But going deep in those crypts carrying only a torch... OMG... it caused chills down my spine so much like no other game ever did.

I went through the mine used only the medallion to light the fires along the way( try it, it's very cool, like playing a horror game). Only use Cat once to fight the boss at the end of the mine. I didn't use Cat because it's effects, -10 damage, and all the things everyone cited above.

Yeah. Bring back the old Cat and increase the amount of time it's effective.

This way we could actually have nights that were completely dark in the game. It's much more fun to hunt monsters in complete darkness :)

I don't like the new cat potion because it makes the game look kind of ugly. I always tried to use flares instead.

I think it would be very nice to have a classical, Witcher 1-syle Cat potion added to the game, while the current cat potion is renamed to De Vrie's Extract.

My personal complaint is that "darkness" in The Witcher 2 is not actually, well, dark! It would be really interesting and more believable if everything went pitch black in some places where it's supposed to be total darkness so that players have to use something to get visibility. Either flares or Cat or torches or whatever. Having choices is never a bad thing in an RPG.

I cannot comment on the Cat potions effect yet because I haven't used it except from that one time in the Prologue. I was not happy when I realized that the potion gave you damage penalties {which is not the real problem here mind you} while its effect was actually pretty useless. When Geralt enters dark caves and crypt the game should be pitch black in order to force players to use something that negates the darkness. Even a monitor brightness increase shouldn't be able to allow players to see what's going on in those places.
Now THAT would be a real interesting RPG moment for the gamer.

So, my proposal is:
1} Get rid of the annoying heartbeat effect. {personally I don't really know if it's annoying but I can understand why it can be annoying.}

2} Allow seeing behind walls or not I don't care really.

3} Make dark places REALLY dark so that the player MUST use something to penetrate the darkness. This will increase Cat potion's usefulness and make it essential. Especially now that it has a 10% damage penalty. If places are not dark then the player has no reason to use Cat because he will only get hurt by the damage penalty with no real positive effects.

Top Bottom