Changes to Mardroeme

+
Changes to Mardroeme

So I've heard that the way mardroeme cards work has been changed in the standalone, and I cannot figure out why. It was such a fun mechanic. In norse history the berserkers, warriors devoted to Odin, would work themselves into a trance-like rage before battle, supposedly through the use of psychadelic mushrooms. Having that be represented in the game as fairly average units literally transforming into bears when mardroeme is introduced is badass, and can totally change the game.

As I understand it, it now works similarly to the horns, but weaker, giving a straight boost to all cards. I seriously think this should be reconsidered. It gave Skellige a unique play style that was a lot of fun.

Also, trivia for those of you who don't speak any of the Scandinavian languages.

Berserk = Bear shirt
Vildkaarl = Wild man
Mardroeme = Nightmare

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the E3 videos where they used that particular card one of the developers said that they'll have an another function in addition to giving a +4 buff to regular units(want to say it's the Xbox video). Part of me does think they'll still be used to transform berserkers, just that now they have a use on all non-berserker units.

It's one of the neat things about the Skellige deck hoping you have both the cards needed, gives it a real risk/reward style of play. Going to try and find that video and that quote.

Guest 3893205

This particular card would be useless without berserkers in your hand, so it should also have another function, hence the semi-horn effect.

I didn't really mind that though, I thought it added a certain amount of strategy at the start of the round. Say you got 3 berserkers and no Ermion or Mardroeme. You had to make a choice. Do I discard something else and pray to Lebioda for a Mardroeme, or do I discard berserkers and try to get something better? I thought that was part of the design. XD

Do the berserkers at least still have the transformations? So it's not just a worse commander's horn?

We don't know yet but I would assume that berserkers are still in the game. They've only been increasing the complexity of the game and I see no reason they would have taken this card mechanic out.

I see the changes to the mushrooms as just a re-balancing of sorts. They now have some usefulness outside of buffing berserkers meaning that you aren't just stuck with one or two totally useless cards. You can now get some utility out of them even if you don't happen to draw a berserker.

I wonder how this would stack with those Monster's units that get buffed by the weather, could see some crazy numbers.
I can see that Wild hunt-Ice giant combo doing wonders

That would stack well with King Bran. IGNORE ALL THE WEATHER!! :D
Bran ignores half the weather effects so I think the commander's horn is still better for a deck that uses him as leader if CDPR keep him as he was in B&W

Last edited:
Bran ignores half the weather effects so I think the commander's horn is still better for a deck that uses him as leader if CDPR keep him as he was in B&W

Anything below 8 would get less of a bonus from a regular commander's horn, 8 would be the same, and anything above would do better with a commander's horn.

Top Bottom