Chapter III: Salamandra Hideout Crash

+
The Witcher is continually crashing to desktop during the fight at the Salamandra base in Act III, it's getting rather frustrating.I was running the game with everything at max settings save for Ani filtering and AA, during Acts 1&2. After playing Act III for awhile, I toned down the settings to medium pretty much across the board, with low shadows. My specs are in my signature.Any suggestions?Also, I am on Windows XP Professional with service pack 3.I am using v1.4 of the Witcher, it's the original Witcher upgraded to the EE. I just realized I haven't updated the Nvidia driver since I wiped my computer a week ago, I'm going to try that.

Thane34 said:
The Witcher is continually crashing to desktop during the fight at the Salamandra base in Act III, it's getting rather frustrating.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and try the IFO fix

This?:
Q: The game crashes when i try to leave the swap/cemetery or I get "Cannot load module. invalid IFO file", what can i do?A: The issue is the one known as the IFO module error, you get that error when trying to to change zone (mostly in chapters 2 and 3).To fix this, you need to make some manipulations, first, if you are under XP, go to my computer, get on your C drive, open the tools menu -> Folder options, View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it.If you are under Vista, go to the control panel and look for folder option, the rest of the procedure is the same : View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it.Now, start the game, and load your savegame ( normal savegame, not quick or auto ). Once it is loaded, press ALT-Tab to get out of the game, go to the following folder:Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\The Witcher\temp\saves\Windows Vista/7: C:\User\\Application Data\The Witcher\temp\saves\In that folder, delete all the files that end with the .SAV extension.Then go back in the game, move around a bit, save your game and reload it. The problem should be fixed.
I'm just asking because I'm not trying to change zone. I've already done that, I'm at the part where you are about to fight the Professor. It keeps crashing as I'm fighting all the Salamanders that attack you beforehand.

I too am having this problem. About half way through the fight, it CTD's. I have done the IFO fix mentioned, this did not help sadly. Is there any more solutions? I don't fancy re-installing and to re-start the game now after 20 hrs of playing would be right out. I'd rather not bother .. Cheers!- Spoon

spooned said:
I too am having this problem. About half way through the fight, it CTD's. I have done the IFO fix mentioned, this did not help sadly.
a reinstall won't help :(did you IFO fix a normal savegame? ( an autosave or a quicksave are somehow different and maybe that's why the iFO fix did not work )

I followed the instructions; unmask hidden files, load save game (normal save yes!), delete files in Applications sub dir, save the game, reload the new save game and try it .. It doesn't CTD at the same spot. In fact it doesn't CTD at all, it gives me an application error. Which at first lead me to suspect it was a heat issue, as these kinds of CTD's have in the past had the same M.O. when the GPU is overstressed or the CPU. But I have tried it with both sets of fans on 100% and never nudged 'hot'. I might try it setting the affinity to just 1 core and toning down the gfx settings. Other than that, I guess I'll just wait and try the new patch in July. :hmmm:Thank you for taking an interest btw. I do appreciate it .. and please .. if you find any fixes or hear of any let me know!PS: My version of the game is the UK Enchanced Edition, straight up. Not upgraded.

Have you tried toning down the graphics? Depth of field in particular, once that was turned off, most of my crashing problems disappeared.

spooned said:
It doesn't CTD at the same spot. In fact it doesn't CTD at all, it gives me an application error. Which at first lead me to suspect it was a heat issue, as these kinds of CTD's have in the past had the same M.O. when the GPU is overstressed or the CPU.
can you reattach the new errlog?also, can you give me a savegame tha does this? you can send it ( use 7zip to archive it like instructed here):-via PM, link to the place where you upload it-via email, see my profile for the addressalso do specify what you do to get it crashing

I am not sure if there are more, but this is the one Triss teleports Geralt to from the new narakort. I think this is in part my doing; I know that the enemies will keep respawning so I just keep killing to easily net some EXP, but as the ground gets littered with corpses, the game just crashes. So I started cutting down, and opening the Gate a little sooner to let the reinforcements in, but when I do that the game goes crazy, there is so much going on the audio gets seriously distorted (I wish I could disable that annoying echo!) and the game eventually crashes. The only way I can avoid this is to fight as little as possible and have my conversation with Javed quickly. But I want to kill :( I want to litter the floor with corpses. I want to spread death and see heads roll and blood and guts. No fair :mad:

pinkace said:
I am not sure if there are more, but this is the one Triss teleports Geralt to from the new narakort. I think this is in part my doing; I know that the enemies will keep respawning so I just keep killing to easily net some EXP, but as the ground gets littered with corpses, the game just crashes. So I started cutting down, and opening the Gate a little sooner to let the reinforcements in, but when I do that the game goes crazy, there is so much going on the audio gets seriously distorted (I wish I could disable that annoying echo!) and the game eventually crashes. The only way I can avoid this is to fight as little as possible and have my conversation with Javed quickly. But I want to kill :( I want to litter the floor with corpses. I want to spread death and see heads roll and blood and guts. No fair :mad:
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 apply the IFO fix on the savegame and retry

When i try to download the 1.5 update, it takes me to teh page but it remains blank. This has been the case forever. happens with all browsers. Is there a way to get the 'director's cut' update instead of just 1.5?

pinkace said:
When i try to download the 1.5 update, it takes me to teh page but it remains blank. This has been the case forever. happens with all browsers. Is there a way to get the 'director's cut' update instead of just 1.5?
you have some linked mirrors in the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( read there what you need to get the directors patch, also do try with Opera too: www.opera.com/browser/next )

Top Bottom