Character Appearance Thread

+
Every series needs one, something that's instantly recognizable to the public, that visually piques their interest. Anyone remember a single character from Battleborn? Lawbreakers? Blizzard on the other hand did fantastic job with Overwatch's huge range of visually distinctive characters. Even a game like Skyrim, had this.

For Cyberpunk I'd say, Female V wins here by a landslide: more unique appearance, distinctive haircut, generally considered attractive

Cyberpunk-555x328.jpg

In comparison, male is a bit too generic, reminds me Mass Effect's Male Shepard

3398765-cyberpunk2077-e3thumb-42.jpg

Shepard-Mass-Effect-3.jpg

Hope she plays a bigger part in promoting the game.

Thought the same thing. I have to agree here that the male V looks rather boring and typical male gaming hero like, while FemV got a great hair style. I immediately recognize her as being out of Cyberpunk, while the dude looks way too generic to be a distinctive face of a game. He could wear the N7 armor and he would be MaleShep^^

How refreshing to see someone make a good argument for putting forward a female character as the promo face of choice for a game, using proper creative reasons rather than simply being some kind of social/politically driven demand on the publisher.

I agree that Fem V looks more interesting.

However, I'm getting the feeling that it's the CP name and world that's the real 'face' of this game. I personally don't need a face to associate with the game, just like I don't need one for Elder Scrolls. The Sheps never did anything for me since I always made my own anyway. I mean, I'm not against it or anything, but for me it's the city and its denizens in general, that are the stars.

Edit: Last sentence for clarity.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of both designs, I wouldn't say male V strikes me as generic, I think he looks pretty good. If anything i have a problem with his voice, and even then I don't mind it too much.

Sidenote: I hope i can take that collar off of my character.

I get where you're coming from with male V with him having this buzzcut but I think the cyberware lines on his face, the jacket and the earrings make him quite unique. Female V (asuming that's her and that's her appearance as she'll appear in the promotional stuff) looks awsome, I'm really digging the hair and she's pretty cute to boot.

That being said I don't really care. I'd want them to show off more of the character customization because that's always been a huge plus for me in games (first time I tried APB's character creatinon back in the RTW beta test it blew my mind). I don't really care with which character they chose to show case it.

Last edited:
Thought the same thing. I have to agree here that the male V looks rather boring and typical male gaming hero like, while FemV got a great hair style. I immediately recognize her as being out of Cyberpunk, while the dude looks way too generic to be a distinctive face of a game. He could wear the N7 armor and he would be MaleShep^^

He looks almost exactly the same as Jake Mueller/Resident Evil VI

cb7ae3f58ef743c1a691cb9aec7cf960e1afec67_hq.jpg

I+have+the+biggest+ladyboner+for+jake+muller+christ+_bfe4f57dc85bf33cc7298d6973e7fb4f.jpg

That "bad boy" look, buzzed haircut, blue eyes, etc.

My money is on the male being the icon, just because it tends to happen so much. Even in Mass Effect, where female Shepard was clearly the superior design.

Fem Shep definitely had the better design... but not until ME3. Before that, Femshep got the most generic freaking face the character creator could spit out.

I'd definitely like to see some stuff promoting both protagonists. Mass Effect barely highlighted the fact that you could create a character or play as a female character (again, until ME3). I knew several people who thought you could only play as Male Shep.

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Last edited:
My money is on the male being the icon, just because it tends to happen so much. Even in Mass Effect, where female Shepard was clearly the superior design.

I'd have to disagree with female Shepard being the superior design.

For starters for two games the female version of Shepard didn't even have a default character model that was as detailed as the default male Shepard, whose likeness was based on a Dutch model. Instead female Shepard had presets made from the character creator that looked plastic and less photorealistic in comparison. It wasn't until the third game that female Shepard got a true default character model that wasn't made from the CC, but that design was underwhelming. To be frank she looked a bit like Ronald McDonald.

I do agree that female V looks more interesting than the male version however, so I hope she's front and center in the marketing.

He looks almost exactly the same as Jake Mueller/Resident Evil VI

View attachment 10972229

View attachment 10972235

That "bad boy" look, buzzed haircut, blue eyes, etc.

Uh I didn't knew that one. Well another one for the list:

That's also a reason why even though male Shepard sure was more detailed and had a real model still is behind the ugly original FemShep model in my eyes. I think Overwatch is a nice mentioning here because Blizzard introduced a female (and lesbian without making a fuss about it like Disney with it's rather ugly campaign) character as icon for their brand and it works fantastic. She is so distinct, that she can be put aside other female characters and everyone recognizes her immediately. And others characters managed to get rather famous ambassadors for the game too, thanks to the very recognizable looks.

I agree that Cyberpunk might not need a face and that the cover doesn't need to show her (my favorite Mass Effect cover was the N7 Cover) but I do think V should be treated the same way as Geralt. She (or he) isn't an unimportant extra and I think it's rather hard to sell a narrative driven game without it's protagonist.

Last edited:
Why not make both Vs the faces of the game? Or Jackie? :) He, and the ramen guy are the coolest characters in the trailer :)
And I agree that Fem V looks better, less generic than Male V.Naming FemV; SheV? Cool idea :)
Naming MaleV; HeV? :) Hillarius :) Or MALLARIOUS :)

It not necessarily should be the protagonist. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines had our girl Jeanette on the cover. Who rightfully became the mascot of the game. So perhaps there will be some NPC in CP77, that can encapsulate the game with his appearance and draw attention.

Speaking of other characters, Lizzy Wizzy is doing one hell of a job to transport the theme. She exudes Cyberpunk from every "pore" of her hot chrome body.

Top Bottom