Character Appearance Thread

+
Given that they are going for a preset character, for a large part apparently (set voice, set characteristics, set age, mostly set background, etc), it would make sense that there weren't sliders to create the hunchback of Notre Dame that sounded like that cocky youngster in the trailer.

I don't really care about sliders, I wouldn't fiddle with them much anyway. But the other elements of predefinement and their implications really do rub me the wrong way.

I'm not against character customization, I think that It's ok for a RPG that should let us to create our character as we think it look like, It's our choice, after all no one else will see our character, It will be our very personal experience.

Has there been any mention whether installing new cybernetics in our respective V's would actually alter their looks visibly? Example: if we do get the mantis blades cyberware and we end up wearing something short-sleeved, would we see the plating that comes apart to let them be unsheathed from beneath?

Has there been any mention whether installing new cybernetics in our respective V's would actually alter their looks visibly? Example: if we do get the mantis blades cyberware and we end up wearing something short-sleeved, would we see the plating that comes apart to let them be unsheathed from beneath?
Well, the upgrade they installed in the palm of V's hand in the demo (gave her higher stability when firing and a ammo counter on the HUD) visually altered the way her palm looked so probably.

Facial structure sliders make facial animations look much worse IMO and take a whole bunch of developmental resources for a mediocre finished product.

Ha, the amount of time I'd spend making what seemed to be a great character in Mass Effect 2, only for them to pull some sort of grotesque expression which made a mockery of human physiology as soon as the game started. It was particularly bad because the first moment you see your lovingly made character in-game is when they really grimace in pain as they wake up on their hospital bed.

Anyway, I actually love messing around with sliders to a degree where even a game I've been incredibly excited about finally getting my hands on simply has to wait for an hour or so until I'm happy with the results. Sometimes I start several games off at once after making several characters and then pick which one I like best once I've seen them in motion. I'd be disappointed if it's just presets (unless there's a crazy amount of them) but not to a point where it'll effect my enjoyment of the game significantly. I'm assuming all the clothes, tats, hairstyles and accessories will help a great deal.

As for generators I've liked, I'd add MGSV to some of the ones I've read mentioned here.

"Pick from 5 faces, none of which resonate with you. Pick a gender. Pick a backstory. DONE! IN DEPTH AS HELL!"

That’s how it used to be with classic RPG’s (and Deus Ex and VtMB, and Morrowind). Pick a preset image to depict you character (or choose none in some cases), pick stats and other possible character traits, go. Indepth facial sculptor is a relatively new thing.

It’d be nice to have, but it appears that this game is aiming for a more predefined experience. I.e face, voice and personality matching consistently.

That said, I’m pretty sure there will be some subtle nose angle and cheekbone height sliders in the end. Even if it wasn’t as indepth to allow you to create the most hideously deformed monstrocity possible.

The silver lining here could be that what ever facial/other accessories there are available (and didn’t it say somewhere that you can alter the body type from thin to fat) could be made to affect the gameplay instead of just being there for the player to watch for what little he gets to watch in the first place.

Last edited:
Yikes. Getting Mass Effect Andromeda character creation flash backs. Fingers crossed that this is just a pre-alpha feeler and future builds will expand the options.

Keep in mind the character creation from the E3 demo is still and early version of what CDPR may have planned. So don't assume there will only be a handful of options.

That’s how it used to be with classic RPG’s (and Deus Ex and VtMB, and Morrowind). Pick a preset image to depict you character (or choose none in some cases), pick stats and other possible character traits, go. Indepth facial sculptor is a relatively new thing.

It’d be nice to have, but it appears that this game is aiming for a more predefined experience. I.e face, voice and personality matching consistently.

That said, I’m pretty sure there will be some subtle nose angle and cheekbone height sliders in the end. Even if it wasn’t as indepth to allow you to create the most hideously deformed monstrocity possible.

The silver lining here could be that what ever facial/other accessories there are available (and didn’t it say somewhere that you can alter the body type from thin to fat) could be made to affect the gameplay instead of just being there for the player to watch for what little he gets to watch in the first place.
Sure. And I loved virtually everything about those games, and the character creation obviously didn't bother me at the time.

But modern RPGs have come quite a ways in that regard. They have their problems, but in-depth character creation is something a lot of people (including myself) appreciate.

If it wasn't, It would have been ditched ages ago.

So, I get why people don't want it (complexity, won't use it, etc.), but no reason to ruin it for the rest of us. The examples people have given about facial animations don't make sense to me, since the games in question just have garbage models and facial animations to begin with (Mass Effect and Bethesda RPGs, specifically - oddly, Skyrim was OK).

@Suhiira I hope you're right.

...a drone moving in front of you with a cybereye or a camera...

I came up with the same idea. In my opinion, this will fit well into the universe of the game. This can be, for example, a drone-first-aid-kit. It appears when you activate the first aid kit, and flies around your character under your control and scans your character revealing the damage. Simultaneously, you get the opportunity to see your character from any angle and take screenshots. That is, yes, it's something like a selfie-drone-selfie-stick, but at the same time it's practically a useful object in the game.
In addition, of course, I want to see my character in the inventory, in mirrors, in television programs, etc. that other users have already described above.

Why even have character creation if you can't create your own character? :unsure:

Maybe they should call it a "character picker" rather than in "in-depth character creation system."

"Pick from 5 faces, none of which resonate with you. Pick a gender. Pick a backstory. DONE! IN DEPTH AS HELL!"

I agree with that. You could pick your past in Mass Effect as well, and I wouldn't say Mass Effect had an "In-depth character creation system" at all. Fucking....Eve Online, and Black Desert Online, THOSE have in-depth character creation systems.

Faces are 95% of char ( visual) creation. While I appreciate all the variety in clothing, hairstyles, etc..without this, they're undermining it's entire purpose.

For the Voice they could also use frequency slider. I was blown away what modders, again, manage to do in Bethesda games:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30953?tab=description

I hope CDPR realizes how important this is.
Wow, that is super impressive. Neat mod for sure. Something like that would make me (and probably Kofe) pretty happy.

We're not in "ye good olde days" anymore. We have the tech (and CDPR has the funding) to make in-depth character creation (especially facial customization) possible. Whether or not someone wants to spend their time making a ridiculous-looking character isn't anybody else's concern, really. It adds value for an awful lot of people.

Last edited:
I bet that presets are for single player and online multiplayer will have more customization. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for everyone online to be the character V. How would that work for co-op for example? I'm V and my friend is V?

I can see it more like GTA online where you create an online character and have more options. Or at least I hope so. I was hyped for a lot of things and the presets are a bit of a letdown. But let's see what happens. There's till work to be done.

I bet that presets are for single player and online multiplayer will have more customization. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for everyone online to be the character V. How would that work for co-op for example? I'm V and my friend is V?

I can see it more like GTA online where you create an online character and have more options. Or at least I hope so. I was hyped for a lot of things and the presets are a bit of a letdown. But let's see what happens. There's till work to be done.

Given we know there won't be MP at launch that's not a great comfort to anyone.

Top Bottom