Character Appearances

+
Dearg Ruadhri:
Horsemen wore helmets with crests, red cloaks ~ Red, Cinnamon & Amaranth, like fire in an evening sky.

Eredin:
Black haired Elf, riding a huge brown stallion, looking "dragon like" caprisoned in golden scale and wearing a horned bukranion. Very tall, face like that of a bird of prey.
Later the stallion is described as being freed from it's "Demonic combat armour", while Eredin is wearing the fine chainmail under his red cloak. The chainmail doesn't include Chausses, as Cirilla stabs Eredin 'just below' the chainmail in his thigh.

Dearg Ruadhri:
Black haired elves, wearing chain hauberks made of very fine mesh that clung like wool knitwear.

No mention of 'intimidating skeleton armour' or large spiked armour or helmets.
While CDPR is perfectly within it's rights to design different armour for a full on assault on Skellige, this 'medium/heavy cavalry' of a roughly Byzantine look is what is described in the books. It is intimidating enough as a 'sudden strike' force aimed at the weak and defenceless. It is also entirely practical (though if going to war, I would add chausses at least).

I also prefer the SOD Triss. She looks perfect there. But i dont think those rendered images like the ones on the website will look anything like the in-game models. I mean look at the rendered images of Yennefer and Ciri they also look different to the in-game depictions we've seen.

I also prefer the SOD Triss. She looks perfect there. But i dont think those rendered images like the ones on the website will look anything like the in-game models. I mean look at the rendered images of Yennefer and Ciri they also look different to the in-game depictions we've seen.

Yes I thought the same. The rendered versions look .. Hmm odd .. Too plain? Flat? Square faced?
Either way they look different from the models in the trailers.

No mention of 'intimidating skeleton armour' or large spiked armour or helmets.
While CDPR is perfectly within it's rights to design different armour for a full on assault on Skellige, this 'medium/heavy cavalry' of a roughly Byzantine look is what is described in the books. It is intimidating enough as a 'sudden strike' force aimed at the weak and defenceless. It is also entirely practical (though if going to war, I would add chausses at least).

From The Time of Contempt:
The vague, ghastly shapes of riders become visible in the ribbon sliding across the sky. As they come closer and closer, they can be seen ever more clearly. Buffalo horns and ragged crests sway on their helmets, and cadaverous masks show white beneath them. The riders sit on horses’ skeletons, cloaked in ragged caparisons. A fierce gale howls among the willows, blades of lightning slash the black sky. The wind moans louder and louder. No, it’s not the wind. It’s ghostly singing.

The ghastly cavalcade turns and hurtles straight at her. The hooves of the spectral horses stir up the glow of the will o’ the wisps suspended above the swamps. At the head of the cavalcade gallops the King of the Wild Hunt. A rusty helmet sways above his skull-like face, its gaping eye sockets burning with a livid flame. A ragged cloak flutters. A necklace, as empty as an old peapod, rattles against the rusty cuirass, a necklace which, it is said, once contained precious stones, which fell out during the frenzied chase across the heavens. And became stars . . .

It isn’t true! It doesn’t exist! It’s a nightmare, a phantom, an illusion! I’m only imagining this!

The King of the Wild Hunt spurs on his skeleton steed and erupts in wild, horrifying laughter.
O, Child of the Elder Blood! You belong to us! You are ours! Join our procession, join our hunt! We will race, race unto the very end, unto eternity, unto the very end of existence! You are ours, starry-eyed daughter of chaos! Join us; learn the joy of the hunt! You are ours. You are one of us! Your place is among us!

‘No!’ she cries. ‘Be gone! You are corpses!’

The King of the Wild Hunt laughs, the rotten teeth snapping above his rusted gorget. The skull’s eye sockets glitter lividly.

Yes, we are corpses. But you are death.

Ciri clung to the horse’s neck. She didn’t have to urge her horse on. Sensing the pursuing apparitions behind her, the steed thundered across the causeway at a breakneck gallop.

View attachment 8958

Sorry for the bad quality but this is taken from the 35 min demo video in 720p and zoomed in but isn't that Dandelion sitting there (in the brothel in Novigrad). I mean the good, old Dandelion we know from the Witcher 2. Not the one from the SoD trailer.

(old)
View attachment 8959

(new)
View attachment 8960

Either the 35 min demo version of him is quite an old build of the game, far before the SoD, or CDPR maybe stick to the old design,
which I would prefer.

Attachments

• Witcher 3-2-1-1.jpg
    Witcher 3-2-1-1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 41
  • n4FgyB-md.jpg
    n4FgyB-md.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Dandelion SoD Version.jpg
    Dandelion SoD Version.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
So after seeing this new fan-art here, i kinda wondered why her clothings resemble more Yennefer's or Triss' instead of Geralt. She isn't a sorceress and she doesn't use ranged weapons, she goes in close-combat with a sword, so shouldn't she wear something like a chain mail instead of a thin fabric and some belts?

Maybe i am just overdramatizing it now, but so far she was always running away, dodging attacks, clearly avoiding fights, so i didn't mind her clothings. Maybe she just didn't have the time to put on real armor, i don't know. But if she also fights battles looking like that, just like pictured in that fanart, i don't know, it kinda feels strange.

I am by no means a hater of the famous female fantasy armor, actually i played a female castanic in TERA and i loved it, but Witcher is a much more serious game.

I wouldn't let my foster-daughter fight without proper armor ._.

When she has an op "blink ability" that can be used in a split second then i guess shes doesn't need to wear chain mail. She is obviously confident in her ability that she wont get hit.

So after seeing this new fan-art here, i kinda wondered why her clothings resemble more Yennefer's or Triss' instead of Geralt. She isn't a sorceress and she doesn't use ranged weapons, she goes in close-combat with a sword, so shouldn't she wear something like a chain mail instead of a thin fabric and some belts?

Maybe i am just overdramatizing it now, but so far she was always running away, dodging attacks, clearly avoiding fights, so i didn't mind her clothings. Maybe she just didn't have the time to put on real armor, i don't know. But if she also fights battles looking like that, just like pictured in that fanart, i don't know, it kinda feels strange.

I am by no means a hater of the famous female fantasy armor, actually i played a female castanic in TERA and i loved it, but Witcher is a much more serious game.

Did she wear chain mail in the books? While reading them i never had the impression she cared about her clothing being practical (for combat) or giving her as much protection as possible. During her time with the rats it just had to look extravagant (the rats even fighted in high heels) and in the rest of the books I also don't remember her wearing anything that could give her protection. One of the reasons was probably because most of the time she was fleeing from someone, so she had to be as mobile as possible. Looking at the trailers for Witcher 3, this seems to be the case again.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I never imagined Ciri being fully armored like Geralt (although many of his armors didn't give him much protection as well in the previous games) or any other witcher, because she isn't a typical witcher/fighter/warrior. i like her outfit, it look's gorgeous. Don't think any change is needed.

Last edited:
If anything, Geralt's the one wearing too much armour, given the descriptions in the books. Heck, Raven's armour, which is presented as the ultimate witcher armour in the games, is so special because it's tough yet light and unrestrictive. Now he's wearing chainmail and shoulderpads, a bit off-putting, actually.

If anything, Geralt's the one wearing too much armour, given the descriptions in the books. Heck, Raven's armour, which is presented as the ultimate witcher armour in the games, is so special because it's tough yet light and unrestrictive. Now he's wearing chainmail and shoulderpads, a bit off-putting, actually.
Hek, We need a "raven's armour is back" mod. Something like geralt goes back to the Triss's house in wizima to find an armour in a basement.

Ciri is actually a source, and can use magic. she was taught in the books by Yennefer at one point. in the books, she never wears armor, as far as I have read, but i am inclined to agree with you a little that her clothing isn't exactly functional. that artwork greatly exaggerates things though, manly because the artist purposefully made that image sexual. (ask yourself about the serpent in that picture)

her clothing as far as, sword play goes, are functional not very good. her upper torso has nothing but a shirt to protect her from a blade, and her arms are the same. the leather gloves she has makes her get up more plausible, and this is also helped a bit slightly by the leather straps that go around her upper arm (that serve no purpose but to make the viewer more inclined to accept what she wares). But overall its kind of acceptable, I mean she has a witchers training. she isn't a real witcher, and is probably not as fast a Geralt, but she can also use magic, light gear makes allot of scenes for her. I wouldn't have a problem with what she wares, its somewhat believable, except that her shirt doesn't even cover all her upper body (look at game play or cosplay guide). you can see her undergarments? not very much but still. CDPR? I mean why?

her clothing is fine, but that one detail :facepalm: maybe its not such a problem, I haven't heard anyone else really complain about it, and you could accuse me of being nit picky, but when I see something like that, when I look at anything I know has been designed by some one that is meant to be seen, my first thought is to ask why.

@eunoia_evanescent
i think you are over exaggerating

this is not modded xD

hahaha :p I call bull.

may be, but still why not just have Ciri's shirt buttoned up? its not like her unbuttoned shirt adds to her character, so why is it like that? there are suppose to be alternative costumes anyway though. yea I'm making a big deal out of it, but the witcher deserve that.

---------- Updated at 02:30 PM ----------

ok just looked it up, its not modded, xD. now i will never be able to un-notice that.

Last edited:
When she has an op "blink ability" that can be used in a split second then i guess shes doesn't need to wear chain mail. She is obviously confident in her ability that she wont get hit.

Well, with that argument you could argue, whether she needs to wear anything at all or walk ever again, because she can just teleport to whereever she wants :)

Did she wear chain mail in the books? While reading them i never had the impression she cared about her clothing being practical (for combat) or giving her as much protection as possible. During her time with the rats it just had to look extravagant (the rats even fighted in high heels) and in the rest of the books I also don't remember her wearing anything that could give her protection. One of the reasons was probably because most of the time she was fleeing from someone, so she had to be as mobile as possible. Looking at the trailers for Witcher 3, this seems to be the case again.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I never imagined Ciri being fully armored like Geralt (although many of his armors didn't give him much protection as well in the previous games) or any other witcher, because she isn't a typical witcher/fighter/warrior. i like her outfit, it look's gorgeous. Don't think any change is needed.

That's right and that's also why i didn't really have a problem in the first place, but at that time she was still an adolescent and i thought especially the fights after this criminal period would make it clear to her that she needs proper armor and not just good looking clothes. Her face scar is exactly from one of those fights and i thought that was kinda lesson for her.

Ciri is actually a source, and can use magic. she was taught in the books by Yennefer at one point. in the books, she never wears armor, as far as I have read, but i am inclined to agree with you a little that her clothing isn't exactly functional. that artwork greatly exaggerates things though, manly because the artist purposefully made that image sexual. (ask yourself about the serpent in that picture)

her clothing as far as, sword play goes, are functional not very good. her upper torso has nothing but a shirt to protect her from a blade, and her arms are the same. the leather gloves she has makes her get up more plausible, and this is also helped a bit slightly by the leather straps that go around her upper arm (that serve no purpose but to make the viewer more inclined to accept what she wares). But overall its kind of acceptable, I mean she has a witchers training. she isn't a real witcher, and is probably not as fast a Geralt, but she can also use magic, light gear makes allot of scenes for her. I wouldn't have a problem with what she wares, its somewhat believable, except that her shirt doesn't even cover all her upper body (look at game play or cosplay guide). you can see her undergarments? not very much but still. CDPR? I mean why?

her clothing is fine, but that one detail :facepalm: maybe its not such a problem, I haven't heard anyone else really complain about it, and you could accuse me of being nit picky, but when I see something like that, when I look at anything I know has been designed by some one that is meant to be seen, my first thought is to ask why.

When was the last time Ciri used magic as a weapon against a foe?

All in all i am fine with her clothings, but if she also looks like that, when we are controlling her and fighting against monsters/humans/elves/whatever, as i said it's kinda strange that she doesn't wear proper armor, especially because of her primary fighting style and history.

Strange to us, not to her. We're too practical for her world, where she learned to fight first in cast-off ill-fitting witchers' rags and then in fine clothes and high heels. The whole notion of witchers wearing armor is grafted on to that world for the purpose of RPG convention.

Still, the example is fan art. Conflating it with game art is erroneous, misleading, and unfair. And as fan art, it is above any criticism that is other than explicitly constructive.

well, that's why i wanted to talk about it here in general and not in the fan-art thread, since i didn't want to criticize the art-work.

I'm wondering if there are going to be huge differences on the appearances of the main characters that they shown us in the trailer and in the final product.

For example look at Geralt before the release trailers and final product on Witcher 2. Hell the first photo is from steam it still shows in Steam that non-game appearance :D

View attachment 9075View attachment 9076

And here Yennefer at Sword of Destiny trailer and Elder Blood Trailer. They showed the second one on the DLC announcement as a different appearance option for Yennefer but it seems now they changed it to main appearance.
View attachment 9077View attachment 9078

I am afraid if CD Project team keeps making modifications because of the criticism of people and ruin it at the end. I trust them that they will not but these changes man it makes me nervous :hmm:

Attachments

• Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Ekran Alıntısı4.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı4.PNG
    166 KB · Views: 48
  • Ekran Alıntısı2.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı2.PNG
    271.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Ekran Alıntısı3.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı3.PNG
    249.9 KB · Views: 40
I'm wondering if there are going to be huge differences on the appearances of the main characters that they shown us in the trailer and in the final product.

And here Yennefer at Sword of Destiny trailer and Elder Blood Trailer. They showed the second one on the DLC announcement as a different appearance option for Yennefer but it seems now they changed it to main appearance.
View attachment 9077View attachment 9078

I think the alternate look for Yennefer was just an alternate costume. Yennefer's appearance has been altered a few times now.

View attachment 9086

And she looks different still in the renders, which I hope is also the case for Triss. She looked perfect in the Sword of Destiny trailer, but the renders of her show her with a weird nose and a manjaw.

Attachments

• yennwhathappened.jpg
    yennwhathappened.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom