Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
Hm. I'd say that the "true" witcher build, closest to canon Geralt, would be:
  • As much of the Fast Attack tree as possible.
  • Axii Delusion (the one that increases its potency in dialogue).
  • Definitely at least one notch in deflecting crossbow bolts and arrows.
  • Alchemy skills for the rest.
  • Mostly light armor. (Geralt is described as not really wearing "armor". Just leather coats with bits of silver sewn into them.)
Book Geralt definitely relies on his blazingly fast swordsmanship -- fast even for witchers, supposedly -- and, of course, potions and decoctions. Signs have been drastically increased in power and versatility in the games (for playstyle, options, gameplay balance, and just cool factor), and they're little more than cantrips in the books. (Aard, for example, is only powerful enough to knock an unarmored opponent off-balance for a second. Igni will only be enough to light a candle or start a campfire. Etc.) Axii seems to be the only thing he really uses to any great effect.

I've never actually done a build like this, though. I normally play with with a mix of combat and signs.
You know, I think I may try this sometime... I guess in TW2 is pretty much this (Alchemy+Sword+Arrow Redirection+Axii Hex skill)

Last edited:
Let me know how it goes -- I've never actually tried it!
So I finally did it: book Geralt build in TW2 and 3. I find it much more viable in TW2, as the Arrow Deflection skill in TW3 kinda feels like a waste if u have an aggressive combat style. That aside, Combat/Alchemy builds focusing on Fast Attack such as this one feel great

So I finally did it: book Geralt build in TW2 and 3. I find it much more viable in TW2, as the Arrow Deflection skill in TW3 kinda feels like a waste if u have an aggressive combat style. That aside, Combat/Alchemy builds focusing on Fast Attack such as this one feel great
There are some really subtle ways of making builds that play quite differently. I've been playing around a lot more on my latest playthrough with signs. Once they're "powered up", they're quite viable as go-to weapons, rather than auxiliary/support things.

There are some really subtle ways of making builds that play quite differently. I've been playing around a lot more on my latest playthrough with signs. Once they're "powered up", they're quite viable as go-to weapons, rather than auxiliary/support things.
I've finished the game with a pure Sign build such as this before... but I always go back to Alchemy or Combat/Alchemy hybrid build (my personal favourite), for me it feels the most natural playstyle in any Witcher game

I've finished the game with a pure Sign build such as this before... but I always go back to Alchemy or Combat/Alchemy hybrid build (my personal favourite), for me it feels the most natural playstyle in any Witcher game
I was planning to do my latest playthrough (my first one including both DLCs in the same run) as a heavy armor brawler...but I got taken over by a desire to be more canon and went with fast-attack / sign support / Axii build again.

My fav Alchemy build is one that actually uses no bombs, just blade oils and potions to enhance a pure melee fighting style. I call it the Berserker build.

I got to say piercing cold build was a lot of fun, until the next gen patch.
Forcing the player to build up adrenaline points just to have the remote possibility of freezing oponents (the weakest, mob like ones by the way), let alone intantly killing them ruined it for me. Not only that, you also can't even do several rends consecutively anymore.
I'd prefer to play the previous version of the game.

I got to say piercing cold build was a lot of fun, until the next gen patch.
Forcing the player to build up adrenaline points just to have the remote possibility of freezing oponents (the weakest, mob like ones by the way), let alone intantly killing them ruined it for me. Not only that, you also can't even do several rends consecutively anymore.
I'd prefer to play the previous version of the game.
Some of that stuff was considered a bug/too OP, and thus 'corrected,' but I agree, give people the option to play the old version if they want to.

Euphoria builds were completely nerfed with the next-gen patch, even though it was waaaaay OP. But that means that I can't play my old end-game save like I used to.

Top Bottom