Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters

So, this thread will be for asking questions and posting your builds and guides on how to rock the enemy in Witcher Wid Hunt.

Try to avoid Spoilers, of course, and if you -really- need to put one up, use the /spoiler tags.

To respec:
Finish the Find the Witch quest line in Velen. Ask to visit her house.. This is also the same location as the Velen Side Quest, An Invitation From Keira Metz. When you get to her house ask to view her wares.
Green bottle, called a Potion of Clearance. Costs 1000 gold. Thanks to @WhiteLupus, we've learned you do not have to revisit the Shrines. Let us know if this is not the case for you, Worthy Reader..

Here's a link to a BETA skills calculator: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/skill-calculator/ Thanks, Pavle Djordjevic! He has more stuff here.

Some links to different guides:

A General Guide at Gamerevolution

A list of the abilities.

Signs Guide by Kevin VanOrd at Gamespot.

Another Signs Guide by Synzer:

Alchemy Guide By Venisia Gonzalez.

Still looking for a good Combat Tree guide.

So when you post a build or planned build, don't forget to mention the difficulty it's for.

This post covers some interesting data re: Critical Hits. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/38301-Critical-hit-calculation-bug?p=1684246#post1684246

Last edited:
u dont have to revisit the places of power when u use the respec potion. U keep these points too.

Then that's definitely bugged, because I heard the devs saying themselves that you have to revisit these place of powers if you ever respecc your skill points.

Then that's definitely bugged, because I heard the devs saying themselves that you have to revisit these place of powers if you ever respecc your skill points.

i asked @milezZx on twitter about that and he said u can keep the points from the places of power because they are the reward for exploring and it would not make sense when u have to revisit them.

i asked @milezZx on twitter about that and he said u can keep the points from the places of power because they are the reward for exploring and it would not make sense when u have to revisit them.

Oh? That's great! Now I can stop hoarding points and experiment some more.

I started going magic for Delusion spell for dialogue and then a bit in sword. THEN I realized I should focus on a spec.

So now I'm a hybrid Sword + magic..that flamethrower made my life much easier. That + Griffin set utility and the set = 100% intensity = awesome! Unless you run into a fire resistant monster..in which case I went Strong Attack as backup.

PS: I'm on Death March as well...I've been killing monsters 10+ levels above me for quite some time now..I'm level 15 now and going to kill those 20+ ones that had guarded loot on Velen map..good times.

Last edited:
Updated. Thanks, Lupus.

Apparently, sometimes it -is Lupus. @Eri94

I'm on Death March mode. YEs, the WHOLE reason I created this is so I can brag. About my many, manydeaths..anyway.

I've been saving points and trying different specs, and I found Fast Sword well worth the points and Igni very handy -if- it combusts.

I'm probably going to focus on Fast Sword until at least Whirlwind, grab Undying and then continue hard up the Signs tree, because I -really- want Domination*

*....feel free to quote that out of context, swine.

I try to use a hybrid build with focus on Fast Attack it looks like this at the moment and so far im rly happy with it on death march

I am only level 2 and still in the prologue area (white orchard), but since I am playing on Death March, the first ability I decided to learn was that Vitality regeneration ability called "Sun and Stars". I think it's a really useful ability to have in this difficulty as you can always heal back to full health outside of battles. The next ability I got was Quen upgrade. Honestly, all I really need is Quen to be able to take on enemies so far.

Anyway, I plan to have a mix hybrid build with emphasis on Sword and Magic. I'll post my build in this post once I get far enough.

I try to use a hybrid build with focus on Fast Attack it looks like this at the moment and so far im rly happy with it on death march

How do you find arrow Deflection? I'm not sure on it's worthiness.

Edit: @blizzunit and WhiteLupus - I tried QUen upgraded..not really sure if it's worth it either. The heal one popped so fast. I love me some QUen, but I might wait and skip a few...

Last edited:
Sun and Stars is a must have early ability for DM mode.

My build is Fast Attack/Sword combo with Igni/Quen sign focus on the magic side.

Playing on Death March and is working very well so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea, I'll definitely be re-visiting this thread. I'm still very early on in the game, so I can't post anything. But, I'd be very interested in seeing a hybrid build for Hard difficulty. I got really comfortable with my tactics in TW2, and would like to keep it going in TW3. Good with attacks, focused on Quen for signs, and I like to pepper in Bombs. This should be a fun thread, can't wait to see what shakes.

Usually my way of fighting groups of enemies that have archers in their ranks involves trying to draw the melee enemies towards one area to separate them from the archers then quickly sprint to the archers (cast yrden to slow down pursuing enemies) and cut them down quickly.

It's not really a must have if you keep moving and take them out first. Then again, Geralt showing his badassery by deflecting bolts and arrows is awesome so I might take it.

Edit: @blizzunit and WhiteLupus - I tried QUen upgraded..not really sure if it's worth it either. The heal one popped so fast. I love me some QUen, but I might wait and skip a few...

i find it quit usefull when i time it perfectly, the reflected arrow deals double dmg and that is mostly a one hit kill on those archers so i might keep that skill yeah the quen pushback is quite useless yeah :(

Last edited:
I like arrow deflection... I use it to prevent easy hits from archers early in an encounter, while dealing with the close combat peeps using aard & a single strike, or axii and single strike or igni... Often a closely engaged bandit will be one shotted in the back by friendly fire, which is amusing.

An alternative is to draw off the close combat units, then charge the archer(s) and quickly dispatch them. Only spent a single point into this skill, and will swap out skills for something more useful when dealing with groups or bosses without archers. (I spent one point as part of the minimum 8 points to develop combat skills... not really because I needed it... but it is pretty useful... don't like the gaminess of reflecting arrows though, so won't get higher levels... too cheesy for my taste).

What indicates that I have Adrenaline? When it's grey, red, or what? I having the impression Rage Management is not working, but it might be just that I think I have adrenaline when I don't have.

Top Bottom