Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
Level 69 New Game Plus Blood and Wine Deathmach Build (Signs + Alchemy + General)

So I set my build up like this at Level 69.

Signs

Melt Armor
Pyromaniac
Igni Intensity
Firestream
Quen Intensity
Active Shield
Delusion
Magic Trap

Alchemy

Endure Pain
Refreshment
Heightened Tolerace
Acquired Tolerance

General

Griffin School Techniques
Focus
Rage Management
Adrenaline Burst

All mutations fully unlocked and set to Magic Sensibilities

Gear is alll Legendary Griffin School Gear and Swords

All four Mutagens are Greater Blue

I use Superior White Raffirds Decoction / Superior Petri's Philter /Superior Swallow / Superior Thunderbolt and Decoctions sometimes.

What do you think and can it be improved on? Also I now don't seem to need skill points anymore unless I'm missing something.

So now seriously, is this an intentional design choice? Is there an efficient way to kill spectres (and spectre bosses) with a signs build? I feel like the crit/cat build that I tried is superior to a signs build in literally every scenario. I'd even go as far as saying that it's almost impossible to finish this DLC on death march with a full signs build. Is this an oversight? A design flaw? Am I the only one struggling here?

YES, there is an effective Way to Kill Spectres with a Sign Build, at least now with the Blood & Wine DLC.

1. Use the Conductors of Magic Mutation, this greatly boosts your Damage against highly resistent foes

if you don't have the Blood & Wine DLC

2. Use Archgriffin Decoction and heavy attacks, that will help a lot with a pure sign build

Here's my NG+ Death March combat/alchemy build that I'm having tons of fun with. Even though I use light armor survivability is good because my playstyle is highly evasive.

Group 1

Muscle Memory 5/5
Precise Blows 5/5
Whirl 5/5
Greater red mutagen: + 60 % attack power

Group 2

Crippling Strikes 5/5
Arrow Deflection 3/3
Fleet Footed 5/5

Group 3

Counterattack 3/3
Deadly Precision 2/2
Resolve 5/5

Group 4

Poisoned Blades 5/5
Protective Coating 5/5
Synergy 5/5
Greater green mutagen: + 900 vitality

I admit I'm using a mod that makes the general skills not require slotting. "Cat School Techniques" and "In Combat's Fires" are essential perks for me. :)

I'm going to be using Feline armor and swords as soon as I'm high enough level.

Last edited:
You feel bored.

You hate the repeated cycle slash -> dodge/roll -> slash until your enemy dead. Feel like you are playing Dark Souls, not The Witcher

You are Geralt of Rivia, The White Wolf, The Butcher of Blaviken, the greastest swordman the world has ever seen, a monster slayer, an automatic killing machine ... but even a noname city guard can beat you out of misery, And you hate that !!!

I bring you this build, Invincible Geralt, will help you crush everything you meet in your Path. Nothing can stop you, no one can stop you, except some peasant with pitchforks, or a witch with black-haired, I guess !!!

I used my build on Death March difficulty, upscaled, and not die even one in this 2nd playthrough. (My first playthrough is a full Sign run)

I made this vid to present my build, all you have to do is hold fast attack button until you feel bored :D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTOhCRy-tw" target="_blank">[video=youtube;5fTOhCRy-tw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTOhCRy-tw[/video]

Early games (lv 10-15, I guess)
There is not much to say, because you do not have much skill points in this stage. But no problem, I will give you some tips:
- General: knowledge is power, find as much potions/decotions/oils formulae as possible; wearing best armor, using best weapon you can find, no need to care much about equipment at this moment.
- Fight against monsters: dodge, roll, hit ... etc. Using quen to protect yourself. Do not rush, just gently like a witcher !!! Make sure you know your bestiary, apply appropriate oils, bombs ...
- Fight against human/nonhumans: stay on Roach If you can, just ride toward enemy and slay them. If you can't fight with Road, kill archers first. Axii them, roll behind their back, press heavy attack and hope for a finish move.

You will have at least 21 skill points SP at level 15 (15 from level up, 6 from Place of Power in White Orchard), I suggest you spend SP in this order:
- 5 SP to Muscle Memory: Fast Attack is main dmg dealer of this build, so ...
- 3 SP to Delusion: increases effective of Axii in dialogue, that's what I need.
- 3 SP to Resolve/3SP to Strength Training: so you can access round 2 of sword skills. I suggest you invest to Resolve, so you do not need to buy potion of clearance later.
- 5 SP to Precise Blows
- 3 SP to Acquired Tolerance
- The rest go to Heightened Tolerance or Poisoned Blade, so you can access round 2 of alchemy skills.

Middle game (lv 15-25)
- General: keep find potions/decotions/oils formula. Maxed out Protective Coating as soon as you can. Combine this skill with a high resistance armor, you are nearly impossible to kill. And because you killed a Grffin at the very first of the game, I highly recommend you make Griffin Decotion, can provide you at maximum 25% resistance to all type of dmg except dmg from monster. Follow this build, you will very hard to kill, and although your damage look very low, do not worry, they will increase a lot in combat, when you drink your potions and apply your oils: Thunderbolt, Tawny Owl, Blizzard ...

You can see those difference in these pics.
Here is my stats before combat: http://i.imgur.com/gMUwFJt.jpg
And in combat, after drink potions, decotions, apply oils ... http://i.imgur.com/sxpCHSc.jpg
See ??? 3000 dps before, 17000 dps later, approximately 6 times difference.

You will have 10-15 more SP, I suggest you spend them in this order:
- 5SP to Protective Coating
- 5SP to Heightened Tolerance
- 2SP to Refreshment, so you can access row 3 of Alchemy.
- The rest go to Synergy.

Late game:
- General: not much to say. Keep wearing heavy armor to maintain high resistance, enchantment them with Levify (all equipped armor counts as Light Armor), so you can have benefits from Cat School Techniques. Using whatever sword you want, as long as It provide A LOT OF % critical damage. Maxed out those skills: Fixative, Fleet Flooted/Crushing Blows, Whirl, Razor Focus, Deadly Precision. When go into combat, again, drink decotions/potions, apply oils. You should have the Auto Apply Oils mod, will have you save a lot of time.

TL; DR, here is for you
Skill build:
- Must have skills:
+ Sword: Resolve, Precise Blows, Whirl, Razor Focus, Deadly Precision - (5 slot)
+ Alchemy: Acquired Tolerance, Poisoned Blade, Heightened Tolerance, Protective Coating - this one is very important, Synergy (5 slot)
+ Recommend Mutation (BnW DLC needed): Euphoria.

- Item:
+ Armor/ Boots/ Pant: whatever you like, as long as It's a heavy one, Levify them when the game come late (The enchantment make all equipped armor counts as Light armor - HoS DLC needed). I recommend Udvik when fight against humans/nonhumans, Ursine when fight against monsters.
+ Gloves: Nilfgaardian Guardsman Gaunlets - this is very important (+50% crit dmg)
+ Sword: whatever you like, I recommend those provided a lot of % crit dmg, enchantment them with Severance, or add Zoria runestone to your blade

- Decotion: Ekimmara for free hp, Chort to make sure you will never exposed yourself to enemy's attack.

- Potions: to be honest, Maribor Forest is the only one you really need. Of course you still need other potions to survive through early game.

Sorry for my English, here is a look at my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTOhCRy-tw

Last edited:
Sharing what i think the most fun build :)

i think i've came up with one of the most fun builds ever made :p

the build can be use without mods easy which is why i like it ( i hate using many mods and "cheat" my way)

The mods i do use -
Toxicity Clean Face and Screen - i hate geralt toxicity effect so its a must if you also do!
Skip Story/Intros - a must for me!
Euphoria Mutation Fix - its a must!
MoreMoney For Traders - makes your'e life so much easier!

the gear i use and why-

Grandmaster Feline Armor/Gloves/Boots - good stats and the 3 set bonus(Each heavy attack buffs our fast attacks ) works perfect with the build - also gives you that cool TW2 style

Grandmaster Wolven Swords and Pants - gives u the coolest looking Swords in the game and also my favorite Set bonus - using 3 Oils on each sword!

Decoctions - i use 4 Decoctions on this build and you can swap them if u like to - its up to you!
Ehkidna / Katakan / Ekimmera / Water Hag - those are the most used Decoctons in the game - if you need to know how they work let me know :)
i dont use any other Potions because i just dont need more damage or "heal" - play safe and smart and you wont die ever!

Runewords/glyphs -
for both swords i use sevrence for the Rend/Whirl extra Range
for my Armor i use Protection which gives u free Quen each time you enter Combat
and i use Quen intensy glyphs to get better damage reduction with Quen

Mutation - Euphoria - it gives us around 222% Damage buff and Sign intensy - which means that we can also use normal signs and still do massive damage/debuffs to the enemies!

Skill list
- (Remember that you can put yellow/red skills in the extra 4 slots by trading green skills with the yellow/red you want!)

Muscle Memory
Precise Blows +60% Damage from Red Mutegen
Whirl

Strength Training
Crushing Blows
+60% Damage from Red Mutegen
Rend

Sunder Armor
Razor Focus
+45% Damage from Red Mutegen
Poisioned Blades

Aquired Tolarence
Tissue Transmutation +900HP from Green Mutegen
Synergy

Extra 4 Slots are-
Metabolisem Control - gives u extra 30 Toxicity which translate to more damage and extra Decocton
Cat school Techniques - no need to explain xD
Protective Coating- extra 25% defence depens on the Oil you use and you use 3 on each sword so its great and easy to play like that
Fixative -makes Oils last forever : )

Build is pretty easy to use -
try to keep full hp and quen all the time so you can get the Water Hag buff
Rend someone to buff your fast attacks damage by 30%
Rend someone if they have a Shield or some Pitchfork (usually insta kills them)
use Whirl if u many enemies around you
use any Sign you want - they are very strong because the mutation!
if you want to drop bombs you can but its not that helpful!

dodge/roll and have fun!!!!

would like to hear your opnions about it :) if you have any tips for another gear!
because i know other swords from Blood and Wine are much stronger but the 3 Oils buff is so good for someone who dont use Mods - belive you will LOVE IT!!! -p also we dont want the game to get "Super easy" which some swords does!!

if someone want my Save File to test the build i can upload it here! just let me know!
here's some details about it :
im using normal Grandmaster Gear ( i would like to get my own new gear while im leveling)
im on DM and Enemy Upscaling
i cleared White Orchad and just arrived Velen
i got almost no money and deleted every Quest/Craft/Alchemy/Book items i had b4 so you to re collect all of them

Have fun and good luck on the path !! :D

Hey guys, just a quick question i made a kinda hybrid build between sword attacks and signs, then delved into this cool mutation stuff, and saw a video on how piercing cold mutation could freeze enemies mid-attack an such, so i decided to try it but it didn't freeze neither monsters nor bandits, it just killed them instantly and ripped bandits apart, and that's too op in my opinion, i play on death march on with up-scaling and level 46 in my first play-through, so can anyone suggest how to get the desired outcome of just freezing enemies or could share a build or a save game, that have these effects.
much appreciated guys.

edit: here are pictures of my build
http://imgur.com/NnsoqHr
http://imgur.com/d5CX0rh

Ok so going to admit went through on the easiest difficulty and now playing death march and it's a lot harder but not too bad really.

I have a level 73 Geralt if i reset I end up with 64 skill points. I used a lot for the mutations so I have all 16 slots available.

I'm trying to make some sort of Alchemy / Igni /- Sign build.

What i'm making is decent but something doens't feel right, need to know more about decoctions and alchemy. Can anyone help? I want to play through on death march for the trophy and to get through the game again on a harder difficulty.

I have superior legendary griffin gear.

What i'm making is decent but something doens't feel right, need to know more about decoctions and alchemy. Can anyone help? I want to play through on death march for the trophy and to get through the game again on a harder difficulty.

The best alchemy skill IMO is "acquired tolerance." It gives you additional tolerance of potions for every alchemy formula you know, which after awhile is a ton. It only eats 3 skill points and ends up GREATLY increasing your tolerance for decoctions and potions. You will almost assuredly be able to have 2 or 3 decotions in your system at a time at level 73 with no negative effects. I personally run around with ekimmara decoction (which heals you whenever you do damage) and ekhidna decoction (which heals you whenever you use stamina - aka whenever you jump or cast a sign) active most of the time. This essentially makes healing potions unnecessary in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Poisoned blades (5 skill points), Refreshment (5 skill points), Protective Coating (5 skill points), Tissue Transmutation (5 skill points) and Synergy (5 skill points) are also good , but acquired tolerance is a must (regardless of build) from the alchemy tree IMO.

Last edited:
The best alchemy skill IMO is "acquired tolerance." It gives you additional tolerance of potions for every alchemy formula you know, which after awhile is a ton. It only eats 3 skill points and ends up GREATLY increasing your tolerance for decoctions and potions. You will almost assuredly be able to have 2 or 3 decotions in your system at a time at level 73 with no negative effects. I personally run around with ekimmara decoction (which heals you whenever you do damage) and ekhidna decoction (which heals you whenever you use stamina - aka whenever you jump or cast a sign) active most of the time. This essentially makes healing potions unnecessary in all but the most extreme circumstances. IMO.

Acquired tolerance is a must! I rarely use alchemy, but I have been loving that skill since I first tried it in my fourth game. Alchemy skills also gives you nice vitality boost with green mutagen. And in BAW with Manticore armor you can truly use three decotions at same time! It's just amazing.

Acquired tolerance is a must! I rarely use alchemy, but I have been loving that skill since I first tried it in my fourth game. Alchemy skills also gives you nice vitality boost with green mutagen. And in BAW with Manticore armor you can truly use three decotions at same time! It's just amazing.
How dare you not using Alchemy!! :D

i love alchemy / combat builds the most!

im runing with 4 Decoctions and its so fun :D

How dare you not using Alchemy!! :D

i love alchemy / combat builds the most!

im runing with 4 Decoctions and its so fun :D

I was wondering that same thing after I tried it first time :D

But how can you use FOUR decotions at same time? ??? Can you still use oils too?

I've seen no need to take Acquired Tolerance, but then again I never use (or even create) decoctions, or a few of the potions (Maribor Forest, Petri's Philter and Blizzard). Even NG+ Death March is more than manageable without them (even if I don't use that mod I mentioned). :happy:

IMO the best alchemy skill is Synergy, but since it's Tier 3 it requires a heap of skill points to unlock, let alone max out. That sweet +180 % attack power... :cool:

I was wondering that same thing after I tried it first time :D

But how can you use FOUR decotions at same time? ??? Can you still use oils too?
haha
thats my secret trick!!! :D

check out my last posts in this thread
i posted my Build and its sooo fun ^^

The best alchemy skill IMO is "acquired tolerance." It gives you additional tolerance of potions for every alchemy formula you know, which after awhile is a ton. It only eats 3 skill points and ends up GREATLY increasing your tolerance for decoctions and potions. You will almost assuredly be able to have 2 or 3 decotions in your system at a time at level 73 with no negative effects. I personally run around with ekimmara decoction (which heals you whenever you do damage) and ekhidna decoction (which heals you whenever you use stamina - aka whenever you jump or cast a sign) active most of the time. This essentially makes healing potions unnecessary in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Poisoned blades (5 skill points), Refreshment (5 skill points), Protective Coating (5 skill points), Tissue Transmutation (5 skill points) and Synergy (5 skill points) are also good , but acquired tolerance is a must (regardless of build) from the alchemy tree IMO.

They should put this skill in tier 2, even 3 of alchemy skills.
Such an OP skill.

@Exentryk

I watched both videos yesterday not even knowing you the one who made them :D
cool videos but i think i have a nice idea for a build that not OP as the ones most youtuber post

i get the idea that you can make geralt hit over 60k with rend and such and its nice .... but a bit OP when u 1 shot enemies and not really fun..

my build combine the manticore set with 3 Wolven parts so you can put 3 Oils on each sword (which is really fun!)
4 decoctions - Ekimmara / Ehkidna / Water Hag / Katakan

on swords i use the Severence rune to make rend/whirl range longer

on armor i use Protection which automaticly cast quen for you

for the rest of the runes im thinking about 10% quen intensty

the whole idea of Water hag is to be full hp all time ... but its not that easy because u get hit all the time -
so lets say you can get your quen high enough so it wont break which mean u will always be at full hp

and even if the quen destroyed! u have very very high stamina regen so u can get another one quick

now for mutation i use Eupohria which gives me the 210% damage/sign buff ! which makes my swords hit strong but also my signs to be very very effective

for skills

the plan is like this (Still need to research 2 slots )
muscle memorey
precise blows
whirl
strength training
crushing blows
rend

and two red mutegens for the 120% extra damage

for other 6 slots i use alchemy ones with green mutegens to get my hp around 11-12k << <
aquired tolerace
tissue transmutation
synergy

poisned blades - one of the strongest skills in the game , and because we have prenament oils on swords we always poision the enemy!!
protective coating - 25% more defence so we are very tanky as well
Fixative - makes oil last forever and we got 3oils on each sword so its very very fun playing that way!

now comes the good part!
on extra 4slots
we use 2 yellow skills -
Metabolic thingy for 30 extra toxicity so we can use 4 decoctions and 1 potion (lets say we need insta heal!)
and we use griffin technique which give us for each medium armor (the whole set is medium) sign intensty and stamina regen!

now we have 2 slots left
we will use the one that gives quen sign intensty which also give us like 2.5 more stamina regen
and the last one will be any sign we want! - id like to try Magic trap because i like Yrden ! and it also give us more stamina regen

if you can test it out and update me here please let me know

i still need to get to toussaint and recraft all sets+extra slots+rune words to try it out

thanks!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom