Character creation is bad

+
Whats even worse imo is that once you create your character you can't change anything for the rest of the game; why are there no barbers/hair salons, tattoo shops, etc.... also why can't you eat lots of junk and become fat and then exercise and be thin again; this all was already possible more then a decade ago in other games such as GTA SA.

It just makes no sense especially considering how much time CDPR spent on hyping the character customization before launch.

I remember reading that it was going to be an expansive CC but can't find it now because searching for it just brings up forums about how awful it is or character creator guides which are pointless since the options are limited to boy/girl...penis/vagina...

Even if they didn't promise one just make it like The Witcher where V is who he or she is. We don't have a gender option for Geralt so why V? Without the character creator I could have saved enough time to figure out how terrible the game is in under 2 hours and be eligible for a refund.

You can't say extensive willy nilly.

I mean... you kind of can. "Extensive" is just fancy marketing word and it really doesn't promise anything concrete.

You have to directly state your character creator is basic.

Nobody ever is going to market their game by saying "our character creator is basic", let's be real. :p

They kept saying there was more to show when you start the game. So they acted like there were things hidden.

This is something concretely a bit deceptive, though. If they directly implied there is more than than they showed and there isn't.

Nobody ever is going to market their game by saying "our character creator is basic", let's be real.
In a world where Hello Games exists and ruined their game for a year. I wouldn't be talking out your PR behind like this.

I mean... you kind of can. "Extensive" is just fancy marketing word and it really doesn't promise anything concrete.
All that's left is CD was lying with that word.

Let's say they didn't say it would have an option packed character creator. If you can change the size of your character penis but not make them more muscular or fat the character creator is bad. The thread is titled character creator is bad...because it is.

Well it lacks some stuff that is true but overall it is a great character creator. The only thing i would suggest the devs to look into is the ability to jump up and down with the rotation keys (EQ by standard) so while rotating my character while looking through tattoos (for example) the game registers those hold rotations as the usage of W and S and changes options up and down.

They said extensive character creator many, many times. They kept saying there was more to show when you start the game. So they acted like there were things hidden. You can't say extensive willy nilly. When games in the past have better stuff. You have to directly state your character creator is basic. Because the world doesn't automatically think: An advance modern game will have less features than gamess done 6 years ago.
They said deep customization system and always paired that up with talking about your lifepath, the CC, and your starting abilities. Saying that is or is not extensive or deep is subjective.

Also, while it's fun comparing games to those of old, it's pointless. Yes, we would always want to see more and better customization but honestly? It's hard, and it's extremely hard to balance when there are so many moving parts. And overall I haven't been impressed with character creators for long time. The best one would probably be Saints Row 2 for me, followed up with maybe ABP. The pattern that I'm seeing for a lot of games is they look better, but the CCs just aren't getting better and offering the same + extensive customization. Saints Row 2 has a superior customization system compared to Saints Row 3 and 4. SR 3 and 4 had to trade in customization options for texture and graphical improvements.

I learned a long time ago to curtail my expectations for CCs, especially if there is not a trailer specifically dedicated to showing off the full CC.

What you call "letting your expectations and assumptions run wild" I call deceptive marketing, and why would anyone assume you can customize your genitals but not the rest of your body? What sense does that even make? Not to mention this was supposed to be the new generation of open world games.
Because they are providing you specifics. I didn't assume I would be able to customize my fingernails just because we could customize our genitals, yet here we are. I also didn't assume we would be able to customize our limb length, or height, or weight, or anything else because I understand how hard it is to create models for those, then ensure that all clothing, and animations fits all of those different things correctly, and they never said I would be able to. Don't run wild with assuming what you can do and then claim they lied to you. No, you heard something and assumed, with no actual confirmation, that you would be able to do that.

Just like the rest of the game, there are a lot of incomplete things.
Fingers crossed that they finalize it or take it into account if it is not a priority. It would be good if there are other forms of the human body but I do not know if it would bring conflicts with clothes since when we equip them, for example, the breasts when being a woman change in size.

I'm sorry but a game that was promoted as "the new generation of open world games" should have those common features that so many open worlds already have for years, full body customization is nothing innovating, and I don't care how hard it might have been to implement in the new RED engine, they had a budget of 313 million dollars, I'm sure there were many talented people who could do it, and if they could hire Keanu Reeves I'm sure they could have hired better programing experts. You can excuse this missing feature all you want but the truth is 99,99% of the people playing this game got hoodwinked with the character creator.
Did CDPR really say that or was that a gaming journalist?

I'm sorry you feel hoodwinked, but use this as a lesson to not assume what you can and can't do with CCs. I watched every trailer I could for this game and studied the CCs that they showed off and understood that they were not showing sliders, but preset options and curtailed my expectations accordingly as that was a strong hint that it was not going to be a revolutionary CC. I also wasn't expecting it to be either, since this is CDPRs first go at a CC. I looked at the articles that came out that talked about the options available in the CC and took it to heart. I didn't assume they would have more because they never showed more or confirmed more than that.

What did you expect? "Yes you are right, the character creator is amazing. CDPR didn't use false marketing, we are just too dumb to figure out in advance the character creator is what was always meant to be."
point is, there's a difference between what people wanted to believe about the game, and what they advertised. Yes its possible the CC would be a lot more variable, but they didnt promise it.

Its one thing to say, you should have made a better CC

Its another thing to say you lied to me, when people said something clearly subjective. "Extensive" is subjective. I will say, Vs face actually is pretty varied, and successfully creates a lot of different possibilities, that even some overall better CCs can't pull off that well. But yes, overall its a weak CC(compared to the best), thats different from being lied to.

Well if you had watched the trailers with the attention you claim you did, you would remember the 2018 gameplay narrator claiming this is "the next generation of open world games" (or something along those lines), and other catchy phrases like "a extensive fully customizable character creator", and "a bustling city full of NPCs with day and night routines". But I'm sure many journalists promoted these slogans as well until recently, and CDPR instead of making a statement about those unrealistic rumors decided to be silent and let the hype machine run wild.

Also, this is not about "assuming" this is about deceptive marketing, and quite frankly what they presented in the recent trailers could have gone both ways, and I'm sure most people who bought the game are not going to examine every frame of the trailer, when this shouldn't even be a missing feature in a open world game from 2020, so once again you have unrealistic expectations of "what people should have done" and you are just grasping at straws at this point to maintain your position.

The only lesson here to learn is to never trust another company no matter their pretentious claims of caring about the faceless non-entity straw man also known as "the gamers", their bottom line will always be money like every other company.
I was beginning to wonder if I had actually seen and heard about an extensive CC or I was just imagining it. I guess we didn't let our assumptions run wild after all but rather we ate up all the crap they fed us and now we have a $60 turd of a game that will be in the bargain bin in a month. From now on I will ASSUME that the trailers and reviews are all fake until I see it for myself post launch.

Top Bottom