Character Creation

+
true true, it is the events that help develop and make the character but on the flip side having a fleshed out character in the beginning could only mean some awesome character development . but then again i suppose they are the same lol

No, you are correct. I just love it when a character slowly transforms to something else. I do my best to encourage this with my players and do it with my characters. Of course, if you don't have a fully developed character at the beginning then it is all the harder to achieve.

I think my vision of this kind of character development as opposed to getting better skills and equipment comes from a comic "Bad Company". Very nice 2000 AD comic from the 80's.

Like many of you, I also think about a character before rolling up stats or writing anything down. This is only true for games I know how to play. Any game I get introduced to I prefer to have the gm create the character and provide some motivation.

Since I refereed almost all Cyberpunk games, I had very few PCs. One was a grizzled old medtech working for Trauma Team on a part time basis. Of course that was in the earlier days of my RPG career. Now I have tried to create some interesting characters that the party either loves or hates. A gypsy bard who seems to always out live his companions, a nethermancer who's a sociopath who sees name givers and animals one in the same, an elderly witch with a adolescent apprentice always slowing down the party because of her old bones..

I have the distinction of being crazy....when im not running games. There have been times where i came up with at least 6 characters all very different from each other (Including concept and motivations/personality) and then rolled a d6 to see which one im playing, my other habit is to make a character that fills in the space the others didnt.

On the good side i always have backups if i become spare parts.

I have the distinction of being crazy....when im not running games. There have been times where i came up with at least 6 characters all very different from each other (Including concept and motivations/personality) and then rolled a d6 to see which one im playing, my other habit is to make a character that fills in the space the others didnt.

On the good side i always have backups if i become spare parts.

oh no i feel you, i have this thing were a character idea pops into my mind and i HAVE to make it. so i have like 5-6 characters right now just kinda sitting around.
one is a four armed russian solo who has a 7 in flower arranging- why the fuck not?- my GM may or may not have also implemented that idea into my head.

another is a ganger who cross dress to look like a guy and is cybered up so much its a mircale she hasn't hit psychosis yet. the kicker is this pheramone she has to make people effectively fall in love with her lol one of my GMs used her as a NPC against some newbies the result was hilarious.

I have once played a nethermancer named Soulman. Quite a serious person that I modelled after a general idea of WH40K inquisitors (based on novels).

Because I never had a chance to play CP2020 I gladly took part in a Shadowrun campaign, if you could call a few sessions that. Then I decided that I wanted to take an easy way and I bought so much cyberware that he was a borderline cyberpsycho. As a street samurai, he got normal boosted reflexes etc. but also internal audio player to listen to his favorite tunes etc. because I didn't want to totally min-max him. In the end I played him almost like a robot. He was not a raving maniac but a cold, clean street sammie. I suppose the idea for character concept was stolen from Joe Pineapples of A.B.C. Warriors.

Although it was easy to play, to make only "smart" decisions it was sort of hard to keep my face always impassive and not laugh at the in-game jokes.

When I build a character I usually start with this question:

What does this character want to be known for?

Then I do the Lifepath. I find that it can help me chisel out my characters role though personality, where he comes from, and how his life was been so far.

personally I like to start off with what i want to play as ( solo,fixer,etc etc) and build a concept of the character from there and go with the rolling of stats and such.

I pretty do the same usually. Things get interesting when we roll for the Life Events!

For me it depends on my mood some of my best characters I created when I was just killing time and rolled one up to entertain myself. Usually I like to think one out ahead of time But sometimes the lifepath rolles take me in another direction entirely. A few times my GM gave some broad directions He wanted for his campaign and let us work in that framework.

My crew are old hands at RPGs. We've played tabletop for ages, and played just about every game you can imagine. When I gm/ref/dm or whatever you want to call it, I generally give caveats to players who above and beyond on the creation of their characters. We have our own private message board. I always give some form of reward for an in depth character background as well as a character picture. Generally a few skill points in terms of cyberpunk. In other games i give EXP.

Sorry...I haven't...but I can't speak for the rest of the crew.

We've played all incantations of D&D...except 4th Edition which we spit upon
Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020
Interlock Unlimited
Twilight 2000
Shadowrun
Legends of the five rings
All flesh Must Be Eaten
Deadlands Classic
Call of Cthulu
Marvel Superheroes
Car Wars
Battletech
Gurps
Palladium
The heroes system {Which you need a degree in astrophysics to create a character}

And we've also home brewed a few games. I ran a deal not to long ago based on a bastardization of all flesh and cyberpunk which we called "All bikes Must be ridden". A Sons of Anarchy styled game pitting out outlaw biker heroes against a drug cartel.

Siiigh. Oh, well. My Hopeless Quest continues. I have it, I love it..no one has played it. I shan't list all the games I've run or played. It would be a sad comment on my lack of social life. It's amazing I bred!

Ooh! Car Wars! NICE. Been years. Did you try Delta Green for CoC? We cut our high school teeth on Heroes Unlimited, Robotech, BTS, Palladium Fantasy, TMNT and Ninjas and Superspies. Lemme tell ya - Tai Chi was craaaaaazy insane. PP of 56 was amusing.

Siiigh. Oh, well. My Hopeless Quest continues. I have it, I love it..no one has played it. I shan't list all the games I've run or played. It would be a sad comment on my lack of social life. It's amazing I bred!

We are a different kind of people. Some folks go out every weekend wenchin and groggin, whilst gamers prefer to game. Nothing wrong with that. In fact I'd say a gamer is likely more healthy than your average barfly. Gamers do all manner of breeding. I've been married for many years and have 4 kids. My wife used to get her game on alot.

4 kids sounds like work. We're down to 2 now, our eldest is in college and at work.

Most gamers I meet aren't very healthy at all. 10km run or bodyweight deadlift would be mostly amusing. Too much Mountain Dew!

LOL

Well I've had some good and bad experiences with some systems. Going down the list...

We've played all incantations of D&D...except 4th Edition which we spit upon...in the early incantations you had THACO which was a little troublesome. In the newer verison of the game it's far more streamlined and balanced.

Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020/Interlock Unlimited: the first game I ever played and probably one of my favorites. Skill based systems are a joy in their simplicity and this game is probably one of the best for the neophite gamer. The setting is more modern so easier for players to identify with and it's gritty.

Twilight 2000: Now i played the original...fun game but LOADS of charts to keep track of.

Shadowrun: Wasn't a fan of the original pen and paper version of this game and it's most likely because the gm was a moron.

Legends of the five rings: Loads of fun with this game

All flesh Must Be Eaten: this game shares the same skill based system with cyberpunk, but it's critical system is a little to be desired.

Deadlands Classic: One of the more original and best games I've ever played. If you ever wanted to be a cowboy...check it out.

Call of Cthulu: This game is deadly with a capital D. The WoTC version is hardcore. Palladium also had a version of it called Beyond the Supernatural. I never played delta green, and in fact only heard of it recently.

Marvel Superheroes: Was a cool game....

Car Wars: I enjoyed this game too.

Battletech: Was never really into the whole robotech or battletech phenomenon, but it wasn't a bad game.

Gurps: Wasn't a huge fan...

Palladium: You spent hours making characters for this game...

The heroes system {Which you need a degree in astrophysics to create a character} I bought these books because a friend of mine was running this game. I needed help drawing up my character for the dark champions setting...and years later I tried to look it over again and still don't understand it. They turned everything from equipment to stats into a science project. You want to buy a gun? No you have to call it an obvious accessible focus...the weirdest crap i ever saw.

All told i've spent a lot of good times gaming...and many stories from those games.

Top Bottom