Character creator idea

+
It would be really cool if CDPR did something similar to what Saints Row 4 did, when they released character creator as a free demo. They might even use created characters as random npcs.

The only problem is, I've noticed in the gameplay demo that there is no sliders to edit your face for example, you just choose options from 1 to 10. After I did the math, it turns out there is "only" a couple hundred combinations when it comes to the face of the mc, which is good enough for single player game, but they would soon start to repeat once you release it to general public.

I noticed you cant even adjust your character's height, so I'm assuming they want to give too much freedom to players to fuck with how things will look like in FPP. Umm, I don't see an issue to have sliders for faces, it worked with the Fallout games.

It might because they want to prevent clipping for facial expressions during scenes so they give you some presets that proved to work. Who knows.

I've love to see a character creator prior to launch. As P-type, it have to try almost every combination, so it's often several hours before I get into the game (and then several more hours starting over and over as I find things that aren't exactly right).

It would also be cool to have the following features:

• Import/export of the settings, either via a code, or data embedded in an image.
  • Previews of V in different lighting (colour is the biggest reason for starting over).
  • Camera controls to see the face from different angles (getting subtle aspects like the cheeks wrong is the second biggest).
  • Animation/pose previews (see above).
  • Screenshot tools (e.g. a green screen)
  • More options (mind you, no matter how many you add, this will always be a request :giggle:).

I noticed you cant even adjust your character's height, so I'm assuming they want to give too much freedom to players to fuck with how things will look like in FPP. Umm, I don't see an issue to have sliders for faces, it worked with the Fallout games.

It might because they want to prevent clipping for facial expressions during scenes so they give you some presets that proved to work. Who knows.

Yeah but remember F4's expressions though. They were terrifying. I rather choose between limited choices of faces over having my grinning character showing up in my nightmares.

Do I know it lol
Untitled.jpg

Out of all the games I have played, I thought the character creation for Saints Row 3 and 4 was the best, you had the ability to create a unique character in most aspects. Skin tone, height, fat, thin...what ever you wanted. I was very dissapointed with the Character creation for FO4, DA:O and even Skyrim, no matter what you did, still looked looked the same as the base character you started with. Just my thoughts on the subject. ;)

Character creation is one of the most important items for me regarding games.

Out of all the games I have played, I thought the character creation for Saints Row 3 and 4 was the best, you had the ability to create a unique character in most aspects. Skin tone, height, fat, thin...what ever you wanted. I was very dissapointed with the Character creation for FO4, DA:O and even Skyrim, no matter what you did, still looked looked the same as the base character you started with. Just my thoughts on the subject. ;)

That's partly true. A lot of character creators give you bigger or smaller illusion of change, but in reality you modify one specific "skeleton" so to speak. Mass Effect is good example of that, especially with the female Shepard. I like how FemShep looks like in this game, but honestly, I saw black, asian, white, goofy, angry and other kinds of Shepards, but the reality is that I always see a common base in them.

Similar thing with DA:Origins. There actually is a way to go beyond what CC allows you there by installing Dragon Age Toolset, which is a modding tool. You can then create a "morph file", which is a file that contains unique face, and make a much more personalized character outside of the game, and then apply it your save game. But all in all yes, a lot of character creators kind of rely on a very firm base, and mostly it's an illusion of change that is mostly influenced by slightly different eye shape, different nose and hairstyle. But if you look carefully, you really see the common fundament. I gotta admit that DA:Inquisition had spectacular character creator that allowed to go far deeper into strong customization.

I thought the character creators for Skyrim and Fallout 4 were OK until you modded the game with the right mods, and then they were excellent.

One single contribution: I must have an option to play transgender character.
The one change the demo did have is you could now play as male V as well. I was interested to see that regardless of the gender you always seem to wake up in the morning with a male companion.

Weber: In this demo at least you will always wake up to another man, so we can show different kinds of relationships will be part of the game, and players will be able to choose what kind of character they want to play.

Right, including the character creator which we got a glimpse of at the demo's start. How far along is that? Is the version we saw close to what we'll see in the final game or do you have a lot of options yet to add in?

Weber: I think it reflects our intention for what we want to do but definitely it's still in development. I expect there will be changes, some more interesting things, but I would say it reflects our general intention for what we want to give you in the final game.

I ask because the option in it is to play as a male or female character type. If someone wanted to choose a character who was gender fluid, how would you portray that?

Weber: You know, as an example in the character creation you can do that by not calling the type of body you choose 'man' or 'woman', but just title it 'body type'. And then from a male or female body type you can on this basis choose how to make your character.

I didn't write it down when watching the demo, but are they labelled 'male' and 'female' in there currently?

Weber: I think the way it is right now, we're not saying either. We're basically showing it to you and you choose which of the bodies you have as the basis to then go on and make the character.

Beyond the aesthetics, could you choose to have a different pronoun? Is that an option in the game?

Weber: I honestly don't know yet. What I can say was that it was a part of Cyberpunk 2020 but how exactly we'll do it in Cyberpunk 2077 I don't know yet. But it is definitely a thing we are aware of.

I know plenty of fans who would appreciate that, and after all, you have a main character with a name that doesn't specify any gender.

Weber: Well exactly. That's why we chose that name, because V works for male, works for female and we thought it would be a good option...

...for gender fluid as well?

Weber: Yeah.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-24-the-big-cyberpunk-2077-interview

I thought the character creators for Skyrim and Fallout 4 were OK until you modded the game with the right mods, and then they were excellent.

The one change the demo did have is you could now play as male V as well. I was interested to see that regardless of the gender you always seem to wake up in the morning with a male companion.

Weber: In this demo at least you will always wake up to another man, so we can show different kinds of relationships will be part of the game, and players will be able to choose what kind of character they want to play.

Right, including the character creator which we got a glimpse of at the demo's start. How far along is that? Is the version we saw close to what we'll see in the final game or do you have a lot of options yet to add in?

Weber: I think it reflects our intention for what we want to do but definitely it's still in development. I expect there will be changes, some more interesting things, but I would say it reflects our general intention for what we want to give you in the final game.

I ask because the option in it is to play as a male or female character type. If someone wanted to choose a character who was gender fluid, how would you portray that?

Weber: You know, as an example in the character creation you can do that by not calling the type of body you choose 'man' or 'woman', but just title it 'body type'. And then from a male or female body type you can on this basis choose how to make your character.

I didn't write it down when watching the demo, but are they labelled 'male' and 'female' in there currently?

Weber: I think the way it is right now, we're not saying either. We're basically showing it to you and you choose which of the bodies you have as the basis to then go on and make the character.

Beyond the aesthetics, could you choose to have a different pronoun? Is that an option in the game?

Weber: I honestly don't know yet. What I can say was that it was a part of Cyberpunk 2020 but how exactly we'll do it in Cyberpunk 2077 I don't know yet. But it is definitely a thing we are aware of.

I know plenty of fans who would appreciate that, and after all, you have a main character with a name that doesn't specify any gender.

Weber: Well exactly. That's why we chose that name, because V works for male, works for female and we thought it would be a good option...

...for gender fluid as well?

Weber: Yeah.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-24-the-big-cyberpunk-2077-interview

Please no.

That's partly true. A lot of character creators give you bigger or smaller illusion of change, but in reality you modify one specific "skeleton" so to speak. Mass Effect is good example of that, especially with the female Shepard. I like how FemShep looks like in this game, but honestly, I saw black, asian, white, goofy, angry and other kinds of Shepards, but the reality is that I always see a common base in them.

Similar thing with DA:Origins. There actually is a way to go beyond what CC allows you there by installing Dragon Age Toolset, which is a modding tool. You can then create a "morph file", which is a file that contains unique face, and make a much more personalized character outside of the game, and then apply it your save game. But all in all yes, a lot of character creators kind of rely on a very firm base, and mostly it's an illusion of change that is mostly influenced by slightly different eye shape, different nose and hairstyle. But if you look carefully, you really see the common fundament. I gotta admit that DA:Inquisition had spectacular character creator that allowed to go far deeper into strong customization.

Yes, I agree. DA:I was good where character creation is concerned. I am quite familiar with the Dragon's Age Tool Set and modding in general. I won't even mention DA:2, that was a mess from the word go, anyway I think you are quite correct where character creation is concerned. Thanks for the response, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. (y)

Urgh..

DAI CC sucked . Sorry but it's the truth . Its suffered from alot of 'couldn't get the right blue for eyes' , stupid scars on faces weren't equal (I could make a large deep scar on an elf but on a Qunari even at max , it just didn't look the same) . And that damn hair..buzz bald with Tumour head! and don't get me started on the amount of times in both DAI and MEA , I had to start over because of that damn light in the cc where my character look good but once the game start...my Ryder had clown lipstick on....under normal light .

I for one , I liked Dragon Dogma : Dark arisen cc . It had nice hair , it had nice Scars , and I could change the Heigh and weight as well . But more important : I could get ABS! :p

*ahem*..ok , here one thing Dragon Dogma did lol you could make a character that was blind . Or just one eye was blind .

How about that ?

I agree that Dragon Age: Inquisition has a really good Character Creator. However, it just customizes the character's head/facial features.

Personally, I think EVE Online has a much better Character Creator, as it customizes the whole body.

Your comment jogged my memory. My profile pic is from an on line game called 'APB Reloaded', which I finally gave up on. Out of all the years I have been playing games, the character creator in APB was the first time I was able to create a character that looked 'Native American'. Just as you mentioned, you could create a whole body and the facial components were quite amazing, something I would not have expected from an on line game. I continue to use this profile pic for that reason. Thanks for the comment.

Character creation in Saints Row 4 is amazing :love: MANY options
I wanted Cyberpunk 2077 to be similar, It's a cyberpunk world, it should have a vast customization options, in the demo it seems mediocre...

Last edited:

when has ANY game allowed you to adjust your height? seriously?

Top Bottom