Character Customization!

+
hopefully the character is created as lara croft and etc, not like skyrim and fallout where you create, I believe when you create your character loses the game immersion

Nah, CDPR said that unlike the Witcher series, this time we create our own character.

hopefully the character is created as lara croft and etc, not like skyrim and fallout where you create, I believe when you create your character loses the game immersion

Well if immersion is becoming completely engrossed in a game I think having a believable character is the most important thing, which can be done with a created character if you look at mass effect.

Some people want to play themselves though and only become immersed if they can do that.

All in all video games should strive to have characters, created or otherwise, that are emotionally real and have such good dialogue that they feel like developed characters with their own real back stories.

Well if immersion is becoming completely engrossed in a game I think having a believable character is the most important thing, which can be done with a created character if you look at mass effect.

On the other hand some folks think an anime toon or some sort of Star Trek borg is the perfect character.

Wrong.Commander Shepard was one the worse male character ever in video game history. He was a cardboard stock caricature of a soldier.

He was just realistic enough to be boring, but not realistic enough to be believable. No one speaks in this flat, monotone voice all the time.

....and I thought I'm the only one who never could relate even in the slightest to Cmd. Shepard. (...and because of this, dislike the whole ME series)

@topic: CC is one of the main aspects that make me like or dislike an rpg. With prefab characters it's a game of pure chance if they work or not - in spoken dialogues even the choice of a voice actor can heavily influence that, e.g. in swtor, I really don't like some classes because every cutscene causes pain in my ears.

And furthermore, ESPECIALLY in Cyberpunk, there is imho a strong need of a detailed character customization.

In a setting where a main motto is "style over substance" (was that the correct wording?), what would a rpg be like, in that you couldn't design a face with colours, patterns, tattoos, artificial and strange eye colours, etc? :) (...at the cost of humanity, of course. ^^)

For 'normal' faces, I really like the Saint's Row 4 character editor and for further decoration, nothing outshined the (despite old and simple) Fallen Earth CC.

Wrong.Commander Shepard was one the worse male character ever in video game history. He was a cardboard stock caricature of a soldier.

He was just realistic enough to be boring, but not realistic enough to be believable. No one speaks in this flat, monotone voice all the time.
I never played the male version so I can't speak to that. I think Jennifer Hale did wonderful as the female Shepard.

You're disapointed because you expect big things, my Shepard is alway ugly as f***, and oh boy, now that's immersive.
Look at all those people listening to an ugly-mutant with a dead serious face.

Last edited:
I find the ability to create my own hero my more immersive as it's much easier for me to pretend it'll be "me" in an alternate reality. Not having that option takes away immresion - same goes for lack of FPP mode - because I can see I am playing as someone else. When I was playing Geralt I was his conciousness, so to speak, but in a true RPG game you want to be someone and you want to define who you are.

Total agreement here. Mentioning "true rpg games": If I learned something about (pc-) rpg gamers, it's that there are two perspectives on that strange thing called "immersion". :)

There are people who like to be, act and decide as 'themself'. They want to be able to create, design and play a character as they want and expect the game to support that.
That's the way I'm catched by games - Dark Souls e.g. gave me A LOT more immersion than e.g. Mass Effect - defining a character just by your actions and not knowing if a decision will lead to something good or bad is aaaawesome.

Others are very happy experiencing a story like.. hum.. let's say: A novel writer. A bystander that isn't really a part of the story, but controls every aspect of it. In such games I had the feeling that everything seem to be very clear, premade and often predictable, e.g. if an action is bad or good, if your character is selfish or righteous and so on. For me, this is almost some sort of railroading, usually a worst case in a (pen&paper-) rpg.

I'm really curious(!) which kind of rpg CP2077 is planned to be. :D

Total agreement here. Mentioning "true rpg games": If I learned something about (pc-) rpg gamers, it's that there are two perspectives on that strange thing called "immersion". :)

There are people who like to be, act and decide as 'themself'. They want to be able to create, design and play a character as they want and expect the game to support that.
That's the way I'm catched by games - Dark Souls e.g. gave me A LOT more immersion than e.g. Mass Effect - defining a character just by your actions and not knowing if a decision will lead to something good or bad is aaaawesome.

Others are very happy experiencing a story like.. hum.. let's say: A novel writer. A bystander that isn't really a part of the story, but controls every aspect of it. In such games I had the feeling that everything seem to be very clear, premade and often predictable, e.g. if an action is bad or good, if your character is selfish or righteous and so on. For me, this is almost some sort of railroading, usually a worst case in a (pen&paper-) rpg.

I'm really curious(!) which kind of rpg CP2077 is planned to be. :D

I expect that you will be able to create your character from the ground up and have a RPG that is much more free than something like Mass Effect. I also expect very few black and white moral choices. I don't think CDPR will have a wheel with a red choice and blue choice and explicitly tell you what is the good choice.

I don't think CDPR will have a wheel with a red choice and blue choice and explicitly tell you what is the good choice.

Witcher 1 and 2 don't so no, not likely.

That said, @chobe78, Witcher 1 and 2 are a lot more like Mass Effect than they are like Dark Souls. That is to say, heavy on the writing and exposition as opposed to mostly action and boss fights.

Hmm.. if you think Dark Souls is mostly action and boss fights, then you passed about one third of the game.
;)

No, seriously, I really didn't want to directly compare those two games... this will never work.
Dark Souls was just an example (the last game I played) to bring out the unpredictability of your actions, the tension of deciding something and don't knowing how it will work out. I should have thought longer and remember Alpha Protocol. Sorry.
:)

Hmm.. if you think Dark Souls is mostly action and boss fights, then you passed about one third of the game.
;)

No, seriously, I really didn't want to directly compare those two games... this will never work.
Dark Souls was just an example (the last game I played) to bring out the unpredictability of your actions, the tension of deciding something and don't knowing how it will work out. I should have thought longer and remember Alpha Protocol. Sorry.
:)
Dark Souls, while a fine game, was terrible when it came to deciding anything. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people missed out on the deciding aspect of the game due to how it was constructed (you're forced to do a couple of thing before you're completely on your own). That's the first crime. The "unpredictability of your actions" was fairly limited to "do this or don't do this/do that" and "kill him/her or not". That's the second crime. Finally, there was little replayability value - if you managed to do both choices (system was pretty much binary) you've seen it all and no new situations emerged. That's the third crime.

I feel like the Alpha Protocol could benefit more from not telling the Agent's name at all. English is particulary good language ground for such presentation.

If we had implants for our eyes that's more visible (sort of like a permanent fashion-accessory), then I feel that one option that should be presented to us is having eyewear similar to Cyclops's glasses from the X-Men. Best part is it could be used night-vision, x-ray (the closer you are to objects, which could prove useful to those who wish to use stealth), etc.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=625&q=cyclops+glasses&oq=cyclops+g&gs_l=img.1.1.0l10.45441.51735.0.53616.9.8.0.1.1.0.128.903.1j7.8.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..0.9.924.N1VBxTpo4gE

Dark Souls, while a fine game, was terrible when it came to deciding anything. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people missed out on the deciding aspect of the game due to how it was constructed (you're forced to do a couple of thing before you're completely on your own). That's the first crime. The "unpredictability of your actions" was fairly limited to "do this or don't do this/do that" and "kill him/her or not". That's the second crime. Finally, there was little replayability value - if you managed to do both choices (system was pretty much binary) you've seen it all and no new situations emerged. That's the third crime.
I feel like the Alpha Protocol could benefit more from not telling the Agent's name at all. English is particulary good language ground for such presentation.
I know, these weren't what typical decisions.. but they had a real grip on me. Even on those little things like rescuing an npc or to take vengeance for one.. or to gain a nice item for killing an optional boss.. or let a harmless being alive that just wants to be left alone. Rather a 'binary' decision that really makes you think about it.. than a 3-way decison that lacks what would be your preferred choice. Besides that, at least one decision had a more significant impact on the whole game, than I've seen in many dialogue-based rpg's, keyword Gwynevere.

"Limited replayability" is the complete opposite to my experience.. :) Usually I finish a game just once, my only motivation to repeat it is: 1.) Enough time that passed since my last playthrough, 2.) Sooo exciting gameplay or that many possibilities I'd love to spend more time with.
Till today I replayed... uhm.. 3x Alpha Protocol, 6x Dark Souls, 2x Deus Ex HR, 2x System Shock 2, 2x SWTOR-Class-Stories, that's it. Almost every Bioware game I tried suffered the same weaknesses that forced me to abort almost them. :/

Hmm... is there a spoiler tag I miss? Sometimes I wish I could hide some (offtopic-) text there. :)

Last edited:
Just coming uninvited to the discussion, but I personaly think that creating your own character helps a lot for immersion, unless there is a strong character whom you can refer to, at least mentally. For example, I loved Geralt because of the morality you could give him depending on how you saw him, with his own weaknesses and all. On the other hand, while I loved the Mass Effect series, I wasn't fond of Shepard he was too much of a typical action god-hero, and I much prefered supporting characters like Wrex or Saren.
So yeah, creating your own physical character to whom you'll transfer your own way of thinking is a pretty good point for immersion. Not to mention that I want some crazy character creation possibilities with tons of tattoos you can put anywhere, and scars too (99% of games make you only put them on the face).
And as for dialogue options not being binary or good/evil, with what CDPR has done so far with The Witcher, I'm not too scared about that, just waiting to see what they've done for the third and last installement though

I want my character to look exactly like the girl in the trailer, so make her an option for the character creator, aready created, just to select her and start.

Modifing the body through cybernetic and esthetic implants during game.

Posibiity to wear any kind of clothes or armor or costumes, anything

Last edited:
Top Bottom