Character Customization!

+
Lisbeth_Salander;n10115201 said:
Customization in CP2077 should happen frequently, and to do such thing players should have the need to use different types of clothes more frequently too
(unlike Witcher 3).

How do you mean? Shouldn't a player be able to decide for themselves how they want to dress and look? Unless you mean needing to disguise yourself in certain scenarios or something to that effect, in which case I'm all for that. Witcher 3 didn't have anything major like that, but players were able to buy their own fancy clothes and mask at a few parties throughout the game.

I think she means that in W3 your "customization" options where limited to which set of armor you decided to wear.
You might well prefer the appearance of "Set A" yet the stats on "Set B" were far superior thus you had no real choice but to accept it's appearance.

This doesn't mean you should be able to customize the appearance of the heaviest armor in the game into a chainmail bikini, but at least have 3-4 option for each major component.

Guest 4149880

I like to look at old concept art to see where their vision was at the time. In regards to character gear customization, this kind of shows some ideas on layered gear options for more protection. Different head gear, vests, arms and addition gear attachments. I especially like the 7th version with the backpack and shoulder mounted tech, assuming a weapon of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suhiira;n10118462 said:
I think she means that in W3 your "customization" options where limited to which set of armor you decided to wear.
You might well prefer the appearance of "Set A" yet the stats on "Set B" were far superior thus you had no real choice but to accept it's appearance.

This doesn't mean you should be able to customize the appearance of the heaviest armor in the game into a chainmail bikini, but at least have 3-4 option for each major component.

I guess one of the best methods around this issue is to eliminate stats. Or, if stats need to exist, the bonuses don't need to be as significant as they were in TW3.

I've recently been playing through KOTOR, and I love the way they handled armor. There's benefits and drawbacks to using each piece and most of them are pretty competitive with one another - while there are a few direct upgrades depending on your playstyle, they usually aren't significant enough to make you feel like you MUST use this new ugly piece of gear instead of the fancy-looking one you've been using.

KOTOR's implants and headwear are even better than the rest of the armor. Many of them simply offer different abilities and bonuses, with literally no upgrades - everything is a sidegrade. You want that +3 Will visor? Sure, but you're sacrificing the neural amplifier with +1 Reflex and +2 Will. Or you're sacrificing the gas mask that gives immunity to poison damage (But no other benefits), and so on and so forth...

One of the ”silly” things in RPG’s is that the PC always runs around everywhere in a set of armor and never takes it off unless a better one is going to replace it. And there’s never a reason not to wear armor (outside a few and far isolated context sensitive situations), indeed it is unwise not to due to how the game works on a grand scale.

This is one of the places where Cyberpunk 2077 should strive to differ.

It is not fantasy wilderness or pot apocalyptic wasteland we’re in in Night City; there iswanton violence, police and gang feuds and all that around, but it is still filled with normal people doing nirmal stuff who aren’t sporting army kevlars, it looks weird and out of place if the PC runs around in NCPD riot gear and nobody bats an eye.

Only wear ’armor’ when there’s an actual reason to (i.e. in a combatzone or on a job that will include violence), and make normal clothing more of a requirement (there skills for that in 2020, and ’style’ is a big thing in CP)to get around and into places. Wearing an armor nakes you look like a thug, that might (and should) not be acceptable everywhere.

Guest 4149880

kofeiiniturpa;n10118842 said:
One of the ”silly” things in RPG’s is that the PC always runs around everywhere in a set of armor and never takes it off unless a better one is going to replace it. And there’s never a reason not to wear armor (outside a few and far isolated context sensitive situations), indeed it is unwise not to due to how the game works on a grand scale.

It is not fantasy wilderness or pot apocalyptic wasteland we’re in in Night City; there iswanton violence, police and gang feuds and all that around, but it is still filled with normal people doing nirmal stuff who aren’t sporting army kevlars, it looks weird and out of place if the PC runs around in NCPD riot gear and nobody bats an eye.

Only wear ’armor’ when there’s an actual reason to (i.e. in a combatzone or on a job that will include violence), and make normal clothing more of a requirement (there skills for that in 2020, and ’style’ is a big thing in CP)to get around and into places. Wearing an armor nakes you look like a thug, that might (and should) not be acceptable everywhere.

This is where I hope game has more to offer then just combat as the main focus, of course it will be a big part of the game but it shouldn't be every thing in this game. To simply suit up for all combat scenarios, and call it a day. It needs to be deeper.

Snowflakez;n10118732 said:
KOTOR's implants and headwear are even better than the rest of the armor. Many of them simply offer different abilities and bonuses, with literally no upgrades - everything is a sidegrade. You want that +3 Will visor? Sure, but you're sacrificing the neural amplifier with +1 Reflex and +2 Will. Or you're sacrificing the gas mask that gives immunity to poison damage (But no other benefits), and so on and so forth...
I hope to NOT see armor with stat bonuses, and unless there's a good reason for it (say a helmet has integral night vision) no other bonuses as well.
Armor should be armor, nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

Someone please explain to me the logic that putting on some piece of clothing/armor suddenly makes your willpower increase?

Agreed.

Carry your armor and heavy weapons in a dufflebag or your your trunk (assuming you have a vehicle) to somewhere near, but out of sight of the public, your objective. Put it on, and hope you don't blunder into a cop or security guard before you get inside.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10119602 said:
Someone please explain to me the logic that putting on some piece of clothing/armor suddenly makes your willpower increase?

One way to interpret could be that good armor might make the wearer more confident in his odds of surviving and thusly also more confident fighter. That’s more about psychology (and games where that might count) than magic and does not explain ”Armor of Will +1” though.

Suhiira;n10119602 said:
Put it on, and hope you don't blunder into a cop or security guard before you get inside.

There’s the place for having learned how to act the part with a disguise (the application of the skill).

Last edited:

It may be a matter of convenience, having to change the outfit frequently adds more inventory management to the game, of which there is usually already more than enough in modern open world RPGs. Especially if the outfit is split into many small pieces, the player is carrying a large inventory, and the game has a cumbersome and slow UI (all of these are quite common), it is not fun to switch back and forth between combat armor, trading outfit, crafting outfit, and whatever else with the appropriate stat bonuses for each situation. It is also frustrating to die in an unexpected encounter with enemies because of not wearing armor, so players are likely to err on the side of caution and equip armor as the default most of the time, unless there is a good reason to do otherwise. These may explain why in a game like The Witcher 3, you can wear armor almost all the time, and switch to clothes only in quest specific situations like at an imperial audience or masquerade ball, or when the armor is taken away (e.g. in prison).

apart from norma customization and the start of game it would be cool t have som missions t allow deeper customization, like joingin certain faction unlocks new specific stuff
or mission with different outcomes, and the player must choose,

BeastModeIron;n10118662 said:
I like to look at old concept art to see where their vision was at the time. In regards to character gear customization, this kind of shows some ideas on layered gear options for more protection. Different head gear, vests, arms and addition gear attachments. I especially like the 7th version with the backpack and shoulder mounted tech, assuming a weapon of some sort.

Layering is something I hope is possible to do with our characters. Less of a chance of our characters all looking similar that way.

sv3672;n10121462 said:
it is not fun to switch back and forth between combat armor, trading outfit, crafting outfit, and whatever else with the appropriate stat bonuses for each situation.

Oh yes, gear roulette is always choresome when the achieved benefit as if nickle and diming for tiny benefits (i.e. hauling and wearing a +1 smithing outfit to get +1,25 bonus from crafting and repair instead of +1,0). Hauling a wardrobe in your pocket with all possible "job-uniforms" to change when ever there's the need like that is awful and not what I am looking for at all.

I would hope that "armor" in CP2077 is more of a tool than casual wear.

I don't think there should be +stat apparel (unless it logically fits, that there is an effect -- i.e. cool shades might make you more charismatic on the outset and ease some initial disposition penalties, but you certainly shouldn't get more dialog options from sunglasses) either - like 'used carsalesman outfits' to give you price bonuses, or anything like that. A toolbelt might give you a bonus to repair (because the belt has tools) but a blue oilstained overalls would not.

I think that most of the time the PC should wear normal clothes and uses the "wardrobe and style" and "personal grooming" skills to gain access to people and places, that otherwise would not be open to him. You might need a very expensive and sylistic suit and to look very classy to get to that uptown highroller joint and talk with the manager for job opportunities; no change you get there in casuals or in riot armor. Similiarly the afore mentioned suit might be too classy for that suburban joint (they might think you're just a peacock who came in to show off and look down upon others, and while you get in and get service, you might not be looked at nicely by anyone but the bartender when he takes your peacock money -- should've chosen a more humble suit for that joint).

And it's a big bustling city. You might not even need to run "home" and back to always change to the "right" kind of overalls. You might be able to hire a sylist to suggest you something and rent a suit for the occasion - if you can afford it - and hope the puffy there was up for the task (if you haven't chosen to build that kind of character yourself, and thus don't have the required sense of style to get the right apparel and grooming); might not be cheap and it might not even work the way it is supposed to, but at least you have a chance to try.

One issue is how will implants and stuff be handled? Should players be given a choice of a few cheap things at the start of the game? I'd prefer it be you are given a budget based on your lifepath and you can do extra stuff like get your first augments with it, and you could choose to go beyond the budget at the drawback of starting out with debt you need to pay off (or not depending on if you don't mind fighting off "repo" thugs). As long as I can go all out with exotic body mods I'm fine with it.
'm fine with i

Lazerlatte;n10123692 said:
One issue is how will implants and stuff be handled? Should players be given a choice of a few cheap things at the start of the game? I'd prefer it be you are given a budget based on your lifepath and you can do extra stuff like get your first augments with it, and you could choose to go beyond the budget at the drawback of starting out with debt you need to pay off (or not depending on if you don't mind fighting off "repo" thugs). As long as I can go all out with exotic body mods I'm fine with it.
'm fine with i

Great question! I'm also down with the lifepath idea to give you some starting capital/augs (or none at all, if that's how you want to play). I believe 2020 has stipulations for getting a 10k starting amount to spend on cyberware at the cost of selling your soul to a military group, a corp or something else I've forgotten. That could be super neat. If you refuse them later on, they could try to kill you.

We might get the most beautiful customization in the gaming industry yet.I mean just look at how beautiful the female models in WItcher 3 were.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10124772 said:
We might get the most beautiful customization in the gaming industry yet.I mean just look at how beautiful the female models in WItcher 3 were.

Ah, yes... Gorgeous...

I'd love to see Gran 2.0 in Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe she'll have you fetch a Cyberpan.

Snowflakez;n10124882 said:
Ah, yes... Gorgeous...

Let's just hope CDPR doesn't make the choices Cyberpunk 2020 PC's have been making about their ATTR stat cannon in 2077, or Gran is going to look like a "10" by comparison.

*PC's have a tendency to "dump stat" the attractiveness stat, meaning most members of an edgerunner crew could earn extra cash by appearing in freak-shows between missions.

Ah, the magic of CP2020 "Kevlar T Shirts!"

eraser7278;n10125272 said:
Let's just hope CDPR doesn't make the choices Cyberpunk 2020 PC's have been making about their ATTR stat cannon in 2077, or Gran is going to look like a "10" by comparison.

*PC's have a tendency to "dump stat" the attractiveness stat, meaning most members of an edgerunner crew could earn extra cash by appearing in freak-shows between missions.

Hah! I didn't know that. That's pretty funny. I didn't know that.

If we do have stats in 2077, I'd be curious to know how attractiveness could be handled. If there's going to be a character creator (probably won't be), I'm sure players would prefer to customize every physical detail. With a fixed protag it might be a bit easier, KOTOR actually did something similar since it had a number of fixed face presets (no further customization between) - as you drifted further towards the dark side, your face got really damn scary.

Top Bottom