Character Customization!

+
Snowflakez;n10125562 said:
Hah! I didn't know that. That's pretty funny. I didn't know that.

Well, that's also not my experience, or Su's. The by-far largest percentage of our players don't use ATTR as a dump stat, leaving it around 4-6. In my games, because my players know I pay attention to really high or low stats and skills and have the world reflect those unusual attributes as the player encounters people.

It's also true that my players are wary about making ATTR 9-10, for similar reasons to making it 2-3. Unless they want that kind of attention.

ATTR is also easy to "fix" with surgery in 2020, but I've mostly seen that in Media characters, Corps and anyone badly burned or scarred during gameplay.

Depends on the group really. Had lots of PBP games full of Quasimodo clones. On the other hand when I played in a group that used Wisdom's IU system, ATTR became more important as it started affecting social rolls.

Ditto that advice about the downside of high attractiveness... I'm reminded of one player who got her fixer cut all the way up to ATTR 12, because why not. one night our crew was set upon by some drugged up booster gangers and this character ended up being attacked with a knife wielding attacker. at some point as they were tussling around on the concrete this booster got a look at the goods and started thinking with his little head... planning to stab her with something else. Thankfully someone made a called shot to blow off his big head, and she spent the rest of the night complaining how her hair had been ruined by junkie blood.

Sardukhar;n10129672 said:
In my games, because my players know I pay attention to really high or low stats and skills and have the world reflect those unusual attributes as the player encounters people.

ATTR is also easy to "fix" with surgery in 2020, but I've mostly seen that in Media characters, Corps and anyone badly burned or scarred during gameplay.
Very much so.
Especially when dealing with Corp types where virtually everyone has had plastic surgery.

An "easy fix" except that your starting $ is usually better spent on gear rather then plastic surgery, and if you start the game with a low ATTR you need to come up with the $ and downtime unless you want to wander around looking like the mummy for a few weeks.

Obviously, I'm hoping the Character Creator is deep as possible. After all, Style is very much a core element of Cyberpunk.

I'm glad the OP mentioned APB: what an amazing CC! Absolute best in the business, in my honest opinion. Vast amount of facial sliders, body sliders, HAIR sliders; almost everything was customisable to an incredibly fine degree. Then dozens of clothing items to buy or collect, and art could be custom designed from basic shapes and placed almost literally anywhere (graffiti, car art, clothing, tattoos... especially tattoos; I made one of my characters with a snake tattoo from her left hand, coiled around her arm, looped around her shoulders and up her cheek to her forehead).... just layer after layer of nearly photo-realistic awesomeness. Even your kill/win MUSIC could be custom created! And that was for an MMO, where dozens of unique, custom avatars had to share space and swap files. I have to believe something similar would be possible in a single-player/small-group co-op game as well. In fact, CDPR's talk of a shared multi-player hub space had me thinking in the same lines as APB, which had a large staging area space for shopping, customising your avatar and/or your gear, showing off said gear, and just hanging out, while the actual gameplay was carried out elsewhere in large open-world cityscapes. The game had serious, SERIOUS problems, starting with being an MMO and increasing exponentially from there, but no one could fault their CC.

And... well, this is a landmine topic in the current environment, but... honestly, from a Developer's standpoint, having a deeply layered CC can only benefit them as well. It's a historical fact that players WILL pay good Real Money to look awesome, as long as it's not essential to the gameplay and they feel they get good value out of it, such as sharing RM purchases across all characters. The more layers, the more items can be added. As a Cyberpunk game, there will likely be opportunities where wearing a certain Style gives small benefits to whichever group we're interacting with; maybe a dialogue choice will open up, or a small bonus to Seduction or Persuade (go ahead, try Seduction wearing a SWAT hardsuit :p ). The easier it is to customize ourselves later, the more opportunities we have to do so, the more items and outfits we'll likely purchase. Give us a basic half dozen "closet" slots for saved outfits and the option of buying more. As long as it's not shoved down our throats as a "must have", it's a tidy way of supporting the studio.

SilentSooYun;n10137482 said:
Obviously, I'm hoping the Character Creator is deep as possible. After all, Style is very much a core element of Cyberpunk.

No. No microtransactions. Period. I will not buy the game if they have them, and CDPR will lose my future business if they go down that route. They've proven they don't need them, there's absolutely no reason to put them in now.

They released free DLC for the Witcher 3 as well as 2 awesome DLC packs (one of which could easily have been sold as an entirely new game by a lesser studio, for $60) without them.

Optional or not, that crap can stay in the rest of the "AAA" gaming industry, CDPR doesn't need it in their full-priced titles (it's fine in Gwent and other smaller "games as a service" titles they undoubtedly intend to release in between major entries).

EDIT: In hindsight, this may have seemed a bit hostile. Not my intention. Nothing against you personally, or anyone who is pro-MTX in some form. Its just the practice itself that I don't like.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10124882 said:
Ah, yes... Gorgeous...

I'd love to see Gran 2.0 in Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe she'll have you fetch a Cyberpan.

even that old lady is has a realistic look. The beauty standards in CDPR games are very nice

I may be not the most representative person in that regard - but for me character customization needn't be too detailed. Whenever I try to tweak a character the result is sub-par.Therefore it's more important for me to have a bunch of good pre-sets that you can then customize a litte (like hair style, skin color, ethnicity, age, ...). For instance I really liked the character customization in the Shadowrun games by Harebrained. As far as I remember there was little you could change about a pre-set - but those were so varied that you could easily find a distinguished and awesome character that instantly gave you a direction for role playing :)

The most important part to me is being able to play a different character with each play through as that makes it easier to role play differently. In contrast I find it kind of weird to play Gerald with almost opposing world views from one play through to the next - because I just had something in mind for Gerald - and on the next play through he's still Gerald - but behaves entirely differently - that's kinda weird. In contrast it's completely clear that my half-elf druid, seeking balance and shunning huge cities, is going to be an entirely different person in contrast to my aged drow swashbuckler who spent most of her live plotting among nobles...

In any case I really, really hope Cyberpunk is going to give us both classes and character customization to the degree of at least gender, ethnicity and general looks. After all things are looking really grim for fans of AAA rpgs with customizable character. After all it looks to me like BioWare is completely abandoning what they used to do. Anthem looks like it's going to be glorified online gambling - and with Dragon Age 4 just having seen a reboot in order to fit more "live" (i.e. glorified gambling) mechanics in it I'm really burying my hopes for BioWare :( So I guess my hopes for AAA rpgs with customization lie now with Obsidian, Bethesda and hopefully CDPR (pretty please?) ;)

111elf;n10338392 said:
I may be not the most representative person in that regard - but for me character customization needn't be too detailed. Whenever I try to tweak a character the result is sub-par.Therefore it's more important for me to have a bunch of good pre-sets that you can then customize a litte (like hair style, skin color, ethnicity, age, ...). For instance I really liked the character customization in the Shadowrun games by Harebrained. As far as I remember there was little you could change about a pre-set - but those were so varied that you could easily find a distinguished and awesome character that instantly gave you a direction for role playing :)

The most important part to me is being able to play a different character with each play through as that makes it easier to role play differently. In contrast I find it kind of weird to play Gerald with almost opposing world views from one play through to the next - because I just had something in mind for Gerald - and on the next play through he's still Gerald - but behaves entirely differently - that's kinda weird. In contrast it's completely clear that my half-elf druid, seeking balance and shunning huge cities, is going to be an entirely different person in contrast to my aged drow swashbuckler who spent most of her live plotting among nobles...

In any case I really, really hope Cyberpunk is going to give us both classes and character customization to the degree of at least gender, ethnicity and general looks. After all things are looking really grim for fans of AAA rpgs with customizable character. After all it looks to me like BioWare is completely abandoning what they used to do. Anthem looks like it's going to be glorified online gambling - and with Dragon Age 4 just having seen a reboot in order to fit more "live" (i.e. glorified gambling) mechanics in it I'm really burying my hopes for BioWare :( So I guess my hopes for AAA rpgs with customization lie now with Obsidian, Bethesda and hopefully CDPR (pretty please?) ;)

Yes, so much this. This is 100% how I think of character customization, too. I like having the option to sort of "start from the ground up" and customize every aspect, but whenever I play Skyrim for example I tend to just pick a preset and modify it until it looks like I want it to.

I suppose it's easier for me to carve a bowl out of a circular, flat piece of wood than it is for me to carve it out of a tree. It gives you a better starting point.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10340072 said:
Yes, so much this. This is 100% how I think of character customization, too. I like having the option to sort of "start from the ground up" and customize every aspect, but whenever I play Skyrim for example I tend to just pick a preset and modify it until it looks like I want it to.

I suppose it's easier for me to carve a bowl out of a circular, flat piece of wood than it is for me to carve it out of a tree. It gives you a better starting point.

Monster Hunter World gives me great hope for impressive graphically looking character creator, especially for the facial features, obviously different in terms of aesthetics for Cyberpunk but in terms of quality and options, it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n10342702 said:
Monster Hunter World gives me great hope for impressive graphically looking character creator, especially for the facial features, obviously different in terms of aesthetics for Cyberpunk but in terms of quality and options, it works.

That games out now? Shoot. I want to play.

But yes, that character creator looks great.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10342762 said:
That games out now? Shoot. I want to play.

But yes, that character creator looks great.

Came out yesterday I believe.

I think I've said it before, but I'm not particularly fond of these face sculpturing simulations that go down to minute details of cheekbone heights and brow angles other trivial shit - "Sim Faces - The Game" - that can result in getting bored and quitting before the game even starts.

That said, as long as there's a good selection of default models and a sensible "randomize" button, it's all good.

kofeiiniturpa;n10346612 said:
I think I've said it before, but I'm not particularly fond of these face sculpturing simulations that go down to minute details of cheekbone heights and brow angles other trivial shit - "Sim Faces - The Game" - that can result in getting bored and quitting before the game even starts.

That said, as long as there's a good selection of default models and a sensible "randomize" button, it's all good.

Yeah, I hear you for sure. I'm fine with having it for people who want it, but I get overwhelmed so quickly and just go with a preset that I've customized to my liking.

No Title

I want to be more likely this girl in the picture. That’s specialize at close range combat taking advantage using light weapons[smg and pistols] and melee weapons [knives,katana,club,kukri etc.] that lunges through the enemies with the help of mechanical augmentation[legs,torso etc.] that boost your combat in different ways [eg. Martial Artist, Swordmaster etc.]

Attachments

• photo195312.jpg
    photo195312.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 206
exogenesis09;n10383742 said:
I want to be more likely this girl in the picture. That’s specialize at close range combat taking advantage using light weapons[smg and pistols] and melee weapons [knives,katana,club,kukri etc.] that lunges through the enemies with the help of mechanical augmentation[legs,torso etc.] that boost your combat in different ways [eg. Martial Artist, Swordmaster etc.]

That's a neat picture. Any idea what it's from?

I honestly sort of dread what's going to happen in CP2077 when it comes to melee vs firearms.

So many people seem to think melee is going to be a viable option on combat. The trouble is if you use realistic firearms combat it's very VERY niche and only useful in a handful of rather specific situations. In order to make melee a viable option you need to include some sort of bullet dodging or nearly bullet proof ultra-light armor, neither of which is remotely realistic. So whichever way CDPR goes people are going to be screaming.

Suhiira;n10384722 said:
I honestly sort of dread what's going to happen in CP2077 when it comes to melee vs firearms.

So many people seem to think melee is going to be a viable option on combat. The trouble is if you use realistic firearms combat it's very VERY niche and only useful in a handful of rather specific situations. In order to make melee a viable option you need to include some sort of bullet dodging or nearly bullet proof ultra-light armor, neither of which is remotely realistic. So whichever way CDPR goes people are going to be screaming.

Wellll...it is Cyberpunk.

Speeding Bullet gives you MA 16 cyberlegs. That's three times faster than an average human. In 1 second, you can cross 16 meters. IN your full turn, if you get init, you can cross 48 meters. You can leap 12 meters in one go, about 40 feet.

So if you go first, you can, in one second, get to anyone 16 meters, or 50 feet away. Or jump 40 feet if there are obstacles.

If they are further than that, well, moving that fast they are at -5 to hit you, as long as your REF are 14 or greater. Which they should be, if you want to go first all the time. Which you do, because for some deranged reason you have a sword or pistol and not, you know, a rifle or better. -4 to hit if REF are 12 or better.

You can also get Corvette Cyberlegs, +8 to MA. If you have the resources (hahahaha) make sure your MA is raised genetically to 12. Then use the Pacesetter 2000 to jack MA to 14. Soooo MA 22. Now you can cross 66 feet in 1 second and more than 200 in 3 seconds. You leap 14 meters.

Pack on some skinweave or dermals, that handy-dandy smartgun-dodge body plating by Cybermatrix, you -might- just make a career of this!

Of course, you do need loads of money, a fair bit of knowledge and a crap ton of contacts. Good luck with all that. Probably smarter to get good with a ranged weapon and buy a nice one for a couple thousand EB.

Err..moving all this OT stuff to the right forum now. Whoops.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n10384942 said:
Wellll...it is Cyberpunk.

Speeding Bullet gives you MA 16 cyberlegs. That's three times faster than an average human. In 1 second, you can cross 16 meters. IN your full turn, if you get init, you can cross 48 meters. You can leap 12 meters in one go, about 40 feet.
Let's see ...
16m/sec = 57.6 kph ... that's only slightly faster then the 45 kph an excellent sprinter can manage ... but let's not go there.

Top Bottom