Character Customization!

+
I'm not understanding where you got that idea from the article. It's specifically detailing that various body parts will be completely interchangeable. So it's likely possible to have a male bottom and female top (as in body parts), or pre-made versions of such, meaning that transgender / hermaphrodite characters are completely possible. It also states that players can select the male or female V voice over (...VVO?...) no matter which body parts/type they select.

So, if anything, this is strong evidence that clothing, too will be mix-and-match in a rather great level of detail.

From what I understand, we will be able to choose body "type", not body "parts", like in those games where whole bodies are already made and you can just custom the face/add tatoos and other little details which doesn't changes the form of the body.

If this article is correct does this mean there is no mix-and-match?
https://www.videogamer.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-character-genitalia-will-be-dictated-by-body-type
but but ma mix-it-up chick-dick character playthrough.
I wonder how they want to show female genitalia in this game? Do you remember Watch Dogs 2 drama? Everybody knows that vagina is banned by ESRB. You can show male genitalia in game but not female. In my opinion female character models will not have fully textured vaginas. There will be some kind of huge pubic wig without anatomical details like in Conan Exiles but of course male genitals will be fully textured with all anatomical details. USA is scared of vulvas but not penises and we all know that games are primarily made to please american market. BTW There is also another more likely option. Genitals will not be fully visible in the game & all this... is just idle talk.

I'd like a character customization for someone from our past, if they're apart of the game. Like if our parents, or siblings or even an ex is in the game, I'd like to be able to customize how the look and act. At least a little bit. I think it'll be more immersive than just somewhere along in a game you get told this random person is your parent or sibling and you have no idea what they looked like before that moment.

So what’s the point on creating a character if the game can only be play in first person.... can take make a third person view? If rockstar made a first person view for gt5 why can’t they take the time to make a third person view... I was so hype about this game until I find out that you can only play in a first person view... leave that stuff to fps games..

I'd like a character customization for someone from our past, if they're apart of the game. Like if our parents, or siblings or even an ex is in the game, I'd like to be able to customize how the look and act. At least a little bit. I think it'll be more immersive than just somewhere along in a game you get told this random person is your parent or sibling and you have no idea what they looked like before that moment.

Good point. I follow.

leave that stuff to fps games..

It's not far from being that.

Anyway, I think all that face and body sculpting is pretty useless regardless of the perspective (player vanity aside) since it doesn't have any impact on the game mechanically.

I'd much rather choose from a selection of a few premade archetypes that all have a distinct function for their body types and facial prettiness' in how the game reacts and plays with certain features.

E.g. Small frame characters might fit through tight spots and have it easier when wanting to stay out of sight, but might also be more brittle when it comes to taking damage and could carry less, while bigger bulkier ones do the opposite. Fat characters might be slower with less stamina and have to work more for being charismatic, but might find sympathies and opportunities in places where more photogenic people would be considered cocky and selfrighteous (prejudices are part of human nature); "ugly" (warts, cysts, wrinkles, double chins, eyebags, hunchbacks...) and "beatiful" (spotless skin, good posture and body structure) might have their own little effects here and there. And so on with little touches on how the game reacts sprinkled all over the place.

And if character creation was a must... Have the player choose between three presentative attributes that all have three different setups:
Attractiviness - Ugly -> Average -> Beautiful (with more specific facial details generated randomly)
Height - Cyber Hobbit -> Average -> Giant
Shape - Chubby -> Average -> Athletic

Who wouldn't want to create a beautiful chubby cyber hobbit (and have the game react to that) instead of spending the first hour and a half on adjusting how far apart your characters eyes are before starting to actually play?

CDPR, if you're listening... Do that.

Last edited:
In any FPP only game, I like it when I can lovingly the customise my toon's hands & forearm... choice of wrist watch, finger nails trimmed or untrimmed, glove type etc. because after all, that pretty much the only part of the toon I am going to see during 99% of the game ;)

Ok, joking. I just go with the default toon in any FPP game because life is too short to mess around with a toon creator in an FPP game in which all you see is a pair of disembodied hands.

It's not far from being that.

Anyway, I think all that face and body sculpting is pretty useless regardless of the perspective (player vanity aside) since it doesn't have any impact on the game mechanically.

I'd much rather choose from a selection of a few premade archetypes that all have a distinct function for their body types and facial prettiness' in how the game reacts and plays with certain features.

E.g. Small frame characters might fit through tight spots and have it easier when wanting to stay out of sight, but might also be more brittle when it comes to taking damage and could carry less, while bigger bulkier ones do the opposite. Fat characters might be slower with less stamina and have to work more for being charismatic, but might find sympathies and opportunities in places where more photogenic people would be considered cocky and selfrighteous (prejudices are part of human nature); "ugly" (warts, cysts, wrinkles, double chins, eyebags, hunchbacks...) and "beatiful" (spotless skin, good posture and body structure) might have their own little effects here and there. And so on with little touches on how the game reacts sprinkled all over the place.

And if character creation was a must... Have the player choose between three presentative attributes that all have three different setups:
Attractiviness - Ugly -> Average -> Beautiful (with more specific facial details generated randomly)
Height - Cyber Hobbit -> Average -> Giant
Shape - Chubby -> Average -> Athletic

Who wouldn't want to create a beautiful chubby cyber hobbit (and have the game react to that) instead of spending the first hour and a half on adjusting how far apart your characters eyes are before starting to actually play?

CDPR, if you're listening... Do that.

The dream maker have spoken once again :howdy:

It could even be doable in the actual configuration ; We could keep the chara creation mode, and include (for ex) three type of body shape / height / face style, and put variables onto that.

Well, all of our characters are going to look like this but in varying skintones so there's no use for a CC. Give the protagonist gloves and you can imagine any skin tone.

You can see your character
View attachment 11021117
The only time the game will be in third person is when driving I believe in which case it will be from farther away and behind and if it's a car you still wont be able to see your character. The above looks like part of a cutscene which were switched to first person. Why have a CC if the only time you see yourself is in random in-game mirrors and distantly and from behind if riding a motorcycle?

I just wonder whether a players can choose a long hair for female character. If not, I beseech them to add it on the customization.

I just wonder whether a players can choose a long hair for female character. If not, I beseech them to add it on the customization.
Here's hoping! Though, it may be difficult to pull off particularly long hair due to issues with it being more difficult to animate, and potential clipping with torso, outfits, weapons, ect. Though I also suspect hair options may not be locked by gender, but we shall see.

Here's hoping! Though, it may be difficult to pull off particularly long hair due to issues with it being more difficult to animate, and potential clipping with torso, outfits, weapons, ect. Though I also suspect hair options may not be locked by gender, but we shall see.

We'll have to wait and see. While long hair is cool, it can be technically daunting to get it working well. Clipping issues, physics, having it move believably in high winds... If there's also customizable clothing, head gear, etc., it adds layers of technical stuff that isn't as much of an issue with short hair.

We'll have to wait and see. While long hair is cool, it can be technically daunting to get it working well. Clipping issues, physics, having it move believably in high winds... If there's also customizable clothing, head gear, etc., it adds layers of technical stuff that isn't as much of an issue with short hair.

Agreed. Long hair might
a.) drift in front of your face, obscuring your vision. I have this sort of issue in dead by daylight with one specific costume
b.) produce unrealistic physics for the hair. I've yet to see this done well in any game.

Though I also suspect hair options may not be locked by gender, but we shall see.
I really hope they won't be. There's no reason why a female could not be bald or a male have a braid (assuming those are options in the first place). All of the hairstyles V has been shown with so far would work with either gender.

Long hair isn't something I would probably ever pick; I used to have really long hair and I do not miss it at all, so I wouldn't want it for my V either.

I've not played any game new enough to have really proper physics for long hair so I don't know how good it looks these days. But I definitely agree long hair could, and probably would, get in the way.
(It certainly does IRL, so it should do the same in games -- as long as the games have hair physics -- for the sake of realism. :p )

I really hope they won't be. There's no reason why a female could not be bald or a male have a braid (assuming those are options in the first place). All of the hairstyles V has been shown with so far would work with either gender.

Long hair isn't something I would probably ever pick; I used to have really long hair and I do not miss it at all, so I wouldn't want it for my V either.

I've not played any game new enough to have really proper physics for long hair so I don't know how good it looks these days. But I definitely agree long hair could, and probably would, get in the way.
(It certainly does IRL, so it should do the same in games -- as long as the games have hair physics -- for the sake of realism. :p )
Yeah, I agree. I suspect hair options probably won't be locked by body type. Though I still think it's unlikely we will be able to have hair that goes below the bottom of our neck for either gender, just for technical reasons, as much as it would be cool.

On an unrelated note to hairstyles, I do hope we will be able to have tattoos, makeup, and piercings on our V. They seemed to be present in the first demo character creator, but I couldn't find them in the most recent demo. That said, we may not have seen the whole char creator, and I also vaguely recall hearing that someone at CDPR said the char creator will be more expansive than the one we saw in the deep dive, though I may be misremembering. Regardless, I do hope that tattoos, piercings, and makeup in the char creator make it to the final game, as they are quite big ways of personalizing your character, particularly in a Cyberpunk setting.

Instead of not having any genders, they should of made 3 different categories. Male, Female and Other. This way we would have the best of all worlds. Other would basically allow you to mix and match male and female attributes whereas Male and Female would allow you to make your character masculine or feminine. What do you think?

Last edited:
Instead of not having any genders, they should of made 3 different categories. Male, Female and Other. This way we would have the best of all worlds. Other would basically allow you to mix and match male and female attributes whereas Male and Female would allow you to make your character masculine or feminine. What do you think?
I completely agree.
Just the option of choosing a body and a voice is ridiculous (n)
Post automatically merged:

Alice Madness Returns
A 2011 game that has better hair physics than a 2020 game?... :v

Last edited:
Top Bottom