Character Customization!

+
Silent protagonist is stupid in 2020 in a full 3D game. The silent protagonist of older games wasn't a design/artistic choice, it was just a necessity born out of financial constraints.

Nah. Not true. There are a lot of benefits to a silent protagonist that still, to this day, make it a viable design decision (also used by Obsidian in the Outer Worlds).

But I'll get banned if I start derailing threads too much, so that's as far as I go. There's an 11 page thread about this very topic here:

In a cinematic game like this one it would be counterproductive IMO to have a silent protagonist, but I understand the counterpoint concerning voice acting. The voice acting in most games IMO is pretty terrible and I'd rather have worded dialogue options than wooden voice acting.

Dexter DeShawn's line in the trailer ("We don't need that kind of cocksuckin' attention!") is the worst. It sounds so stupid. You can make your point emphatically without using shouting and swear words. A simple "That kind of heat is bad for business, kid. You're not ready for the big leagues." in a sinister tone of voice would sufficed followed by Dex signaling his man to break V's neck.

Last edited:
Dexter DeShawn's line in the trailer ("We don't need that kind of cocksuckin' attention!") is the worst. It sounds so stupid. You can make your point emphatically without using shouting and swear words. A simple "That kind of heat is bad for business, kid. You're not ready for the big leagues." in a sinister tone of voice would sufficed followed by Dex signaling his man to break V's neck.

All the great cinematic heroes and villians have used cheesy tag lines or catch phrases. It COULD have been said differently but the more obscure it is, the more likely it will be repeated.
Just my spare change for brain waves.

he seems more like a rough kind of gangsta that would throw around cuss words. id wager getting the colder more sophisticated response from a corpo shot caller

In a cinematic game like this one it would be counterproductive IMO

There is a point there with ”cinematic game”, but when all or most of those ”cinematics” happen from first person perspective, the counterproductiviness, from the way I see it, comes precisely from the addition of the voice.

It’s different in games that are built from the ground up around a set character and dialog being a ”cinematic” set piece like Witcher or Mass Effect. But in a ”completely” first person game that touts for freedom of building ”your” character, it is unnecessarily limiting from a number of perspectives.

There is a point there with ”cinematic game”, but when all or most of those ”cinematics” happen from first person perspective, the counterproductiviness, from the way I see it, comes precisely from the addition of the voice.

It’s different in games that are built from the ground up around a set character and dialog being a ”cinematic” set piece like Witcher or Mass Effect. But in a ”completely” first person game that touts for freedom of building ”your” character, it is unnecessarily limiting from a number of perspectives.

It's not always going to be first person. There will be cutscenes from the third person, I'm sure.

My character is going to need a voice. I hate the D2 silent protagonist cutscenes where I'm just nodding in agreement with the dialogue from the other characters.

he seems more like a rough kind of gangsta that would throw around cuss words. id wager getting the colder more sophisticated response from a corpo shot caller
Dexter is a Fixer, the middle-man between the Corps and the Edgerunners. To be good at his job he needs to be able to talk to both without antagonizing them.

Dexter is a Fixer, the middle-man between the Corps and the Edgerunners. To be good at his job he needs to be able to talk to both without antagonizing them.

Agreed. he just strikes me as a rough roots kind of guy that hasnt forgotten where he came from

Probably for the same reason they "should" hire more voiceactors for african american, latino and even European based characters (if you can choose those). Because having them all have the same GI-JOE/JANE voice is just stupid.
Uot du yu min? Mai inglish axent is perfect!

I'm extremely happy they kept various languages untranslated in the game and strong accents as well, it helps immersion, but yeah, having more than 2 VO actors for V would be impossible. We can "forgive" them (I know you'd rather have no VO at all, which I totally understand).

That line did sound a bit off, but not because it used profanity. It sounded off because no one uses that particular swear word in that way. An f-bomb wouldn't have felt as out of place.

I disagree that the line would be better off without profanity however. Dexter is a gangster of sorts, or at least he runs in those circles. Some profanity suits the character.

That line did sound a bit off, but not because it used profanity. It sounded off because no one uses that particular swear word in that way. An f-bomb wouldn't have felt as out of place.

I disagree that the line would be better off without profanity however. Dexter is a gangster of sorts, or at least he runs in those circles. Some profanity suits the character.
I think when Dexter uses "cocksuckin'" he means it as a way to describe "attention," as in an overbearing amount; Not as an intensifier such as "fucking" if it were in that place.

That's how I interpreted it anyway. Didn't seem too out of place.

Last edited:
I think when Dexter uses "cocksuckin'" he means it as a way to describe "attention," as in an overbearing amount; Not as an intensifier such as "fucking" if it were in that place.

That's how I interpreted it anyway. Didn't seem too out of place.
In the subject of Dexter’s word choice. “Cocksucking” just isn’t used that way. I think it sounds so bad because it was probably translated from Polish first. “God damn” or ”Motherfucking”would have worked 10x better.
Also Dexter’s audio in general sounds off.

So ... character customization ... amiright?
Yea just turned into

About appearance
Not all 22 year old men are muscular, bearded and have a thick voice.
Example: V that I would like to create >
View attachment 11037464
View attachment 11037461
Post automatically merged:

Character creation in ME is pathetic!
Force you to play with the default :ROFLMAO:

I understand this a lot but for both sides. It be cool to have our V be on either end, I would prefer my V to probably not be as muscular nor slender, I suppose "normal" more like, so I'm fine with how V is now. Yet this would be a really cool option if we could at least change how muscular/slender V is. Also I didn't even consider beards, I'm supposing that should be there as an option though.

So far we have seen/heard (whatever) 2 voices masculine V and feminine V, if they are having options to mix and match sex and gender characteristics I think they need at least 1 more voice for an androgynous V

I do wish there was more than these two voices. I remember playing the Saints Row games and you always had multiple masculine/feminine voices and one silly voice (the Zombie voice). I just don't fully "vibe" with feminine nor masculine V's voices. It would be nice if we were at least able to perhaps play with the pitch of the voices, I seen different MMO's allow people to do this also think Saints Row has this availability. Maybe it would be too distored or not work out though, I'm not sure, just saying an idea as a day-to-day person, I got no knowledge on this stuff.

Anyway, all I'm mostly hoping for in customization as of now is mohawk(s).

Last edited:
Top Bottom