Character Customization!

+
There should be a customization menu separate from the character one for an identity mask. Where you can pick a mask/helmet and edit/customize/add/subtract any part for hiding your identity in game with an additional Hud meter for remaining incognito. Kind of like a more advanced version of payday.

There's no point in visual character customization in a FPP game. After you spend hours in the CC that work will only be seen a tiny sliver of time if at all so there's no reason to bother (and I say this as someone who normally spends a ton of time in CC to get every detail of every character right). The real thing to focus on is the things that we'll actually see: cybernetics/armor/tattoos/whatever on your hands, forearms, feet, and legs. Your character's eye color or hairstyle? Irrelevant and unseen. Your character's mantis blades or robotic legs or cybernetic hand that fires a blast of energy from the palm, etc..? Those will be seen and hopefully visibly customizeable with different designs, layouts, blades, lights, colors, patterns, etc...I hope the devs spent more time on relevant things that we'll actually use, maybe even having characters react to whatever cybernetics we chose and so on.

I wouldn't say there's no point, just less, since you'll only see your character a handful of times throughout the game.

After you spend hours in the CC that work will only be seen a tiny sliver of time if at all so there's no reason to bother (and I say this as someone who normally spends a ton of time in CC to get every detail of every character right).

No one has played the game yet and we've only seen two hours or so of gameplay, so I think it's too early to say things like these with certainty.

Our character will be prominent in cut scenes and other instances so it is probably still important to put your own personal stamp on how you want your V to look.

Still amazed by how many people fuss about what colour boots they can display yet when it comes to actual freedom within the game world, theres barely a care in the world.

Can you buy a penthouse, own a business, run a gang? Apparently real choice is what jockstrap one wears.

Still amazed by how many people fuss about what colour boots they can display yet when it comes to actual freedom within the game world, theres barely a care in the world.

Shouldn't actual freedom include the freedom to choose how one wishes their character to appear in the game? Customization is more than just "what color are my boots."

I am not terribly fond of RPGs that have a default protagonist unless it is based on some other materiel. It was important for me to be able to customize Commander Shepard from Mass Effect to suit my own tastes, but The Witcher is Geralt's story so it is okay to play Geralt as is.

Last edited:
Shouldn't actual freedom include the freedom to choose how one wishes their character to appear in the game? Customization is more than just "what color are my boots."
Agreed.

I'd also like to add that even just one's character's appearance can have a massive effect on the roleplaying part of RPGs. The more options available the more infinite the possibilities.

Here's a really silly example from my own history: I had a character who I'd decided was going to be a cannibal, so on his forehead I put war paint that looked like a fork (fork -> eating -> cannibalism).

An obvious example would be wanting to roleplay as an existing character/person, and customizing one's character accordingly. I've done that many times, and I know it's quite a common thing to do.

Even just a small detail such as boots colour can play into the role* chosen for the character. Maybe they wear black boots because they like black, maybe it's because black is good for stealth, maybe it's because black is good for blending in (common colour), etc.

Even in a game world with a lot of gameplay limitations character customization can add a ton. One just needs to use one's imagination. And that is why, in my opinion, its value should never be underestimated at least when it comes to RPGs.

(*Pun intended, of course.)

Agreed.

I'd also like to add that even just one's character's appearance can have a massive effect on the roleplaying part of RPGs. The more options available the more infinite the possibilities.

Here's a really silly example from my own history: I had a character who I'd decided was going to be a cannibal, so on his forehead I put war paint that looked like a fork (fork -> eating -> cannibalism).

An obvious example would be wanting to roleplay as an existing character/person, and customizing one's character accordingly. I've done that many times, and I know it's quite a common thing to do.

Even just a small detail such as boots colour can play into the role* chosen for the character. Maybe they wear black boots because they like black, maybe it's because black is good for stealth, maybe it's because black is good for blending in (common colour), etc.

Even in a game world with a lot of gameplay limitations character customization can add a ton. One just needs to use one's imagination. And that is why, in my opinion, its value should never be underestimated at least when it comes to RPGs.

(*Pun intended, of course.)

I agree! Little things that make a huge difference. It's often amazing how much more invested I feel in the gameplay when I'm able to see the character I've created, as I've designed them, interacting with the world. It's just a small but powerful sense of owning that character.

No one has played the game yet and we've only seen two hours or so of gameplay, so I think it's too early to say things like these with certainty.

Our character will be prominent in cut scenes and other instances so it is probably still important to put your own personal stamp on how you want your V to look.
We know the cutscenes will be in FPP (including romance and sex scenes -_- ) the only time we will see our character is in in-game mirrors and from behind when riding a motorcycle and maybe getting into or out of a car.

Perhaps it should be. More so than it is. Or... Should've been.

Less emphasis on the narrative (not meaning making bad narrative) and more on player and character agency over interaction and possible roles.
Maybe with the multi-player component, with just the single-player one there's a story-line, start it, play it, end it ... and the game. Not every game needs to, or should be, infinitely playable. It takes a LOT of work to develop a good open world game. We've all seen games with tacked on open world, PvP, or multi-player; have you ever seen one actually worth playing if it wasn't designed for open world, PvP, or multi-player in the first place ... ever???

I don't know where else to post this one

2020-05-25-1180-character-editor-ii.png

Not every game needs to, or should be, infinitely playable.

"Sandbox" does not necessarily mean "infinitely playable".

Fallout 2 is a sandbox, though not the best one around, admittedly. And while you can theoretically run around 99 in-game years if you want to, it isn't "infinitely playable" in the sense that you do run out of content beyond random combat encounters quite fast and there is no lifesim stuff or repeatable missions beyond caravan runs.

By sandbox, I do not mean "lifesim". I do not want one. What I means is gameplay freedom that isn't too shackled by a heavily scripted and thusly more or less linear story.

have you ever seen one actually worth playing if it wasn't designed for open world, PvP, or multi-player in the first place ... ever???

Why would it matter if I have or haven't? Or if there was or wasn't such a thing yet?

Last edited:
"Sandbox" does not necessarily mean "infinitely playable".

By sandbox, I do not mean "lifesim". I do not want one. What I means is gameplay freedom that isn't too shackled by a heavily scripted and thusly more or less linear story.

A world within a world that I can enter and leave whenever I choose. A game that can be played indefinitely, where I can get away from this repetitive physical existence and activate the reward centers in my grey matter?

Yes, please AND thank you.

As I've mentioned before, I hope cyberpunk is different and revolutionary from every other game we have become accustomed to playing for decades.

The cyberworld will continue to expand over time. It is already an established universe with it's own lore. Let's hope the updates, additions and expansions are smooth and seamless. I still have faith in CDPR and Talsorian.

A game that can be played indefinitely, where I can get away from this repetitive physical existence and activate the reward centers in my grey matter?

That would need some pretty exceptional content to keep it interesting... "indefinitely".

I think the ideal for a sandbox would be to have a lot of opportunities open initially, but only be able to see a relatively small portion of it with one specific character (out of many). There's still a story to be told, afterall.

But this isn't about "character customization" anymore, so I'll stop here.

But this isn't about "character customization" anymore, so I'll stop here.
At the risk of being shot by someone ...
That's one of the potential advantages of character based role play, content can be altered to work/be experienced by, or not work or be available to, specific classes/builds, players can use different character skill sets on different play troughs thus have a different experience with a game, and all the other stuff I tend to "mention" repeatedly. If you play a game as a player (vice character) when you finish a single-player game you're pretty much done with it, uninstall and find a new game to play.

Character Customization!

I want Character Customization on par with Saints Row 2 or APB. (Gender, race, body type, face customization, tattoos, scars, layered clothing with many choices). Let me create my own character, a unique character, and do no limit my choices. The world of Cyberpunk is a melting pot of races and cultures. If you plan to include voices, limit it to two, one male, one female, speaking without discernable accent. If variety in voices is necessary, give us a tool to change the pitch of the voices.

Customization differences by zone. For instance, in most of the city you would have standard options. Normal and edge wear clothes, but in Nomad areas the clothing would be leathers and football pads, the mad max/Fallout look. In a Corporate Section the clothing stores would offer suits and high end fashion.

In addition to character appearance, it would be necessary to give us options that reflect the Roles. Solo's, Nomads, Medtechs, Fixers, etc... Roles should merely provide bonuses to certain skills. Players should be able to choose a Primary Role, but should be able to assign points to all the others as they see fit, as well as to skills. In addition, the Primary Role chosen should have an effect on how the story unfolds. The missions of the game remain the same, only for people with different roles, the order in which they come, and the objectives of the mission itself changes. For instance, if you are playing a Netrunner, one mission might have you trying to infiltrate a drug deal, using your hacking skills to record the entire thing for black mail. But if you are playing a Cop, your objective is to arrest the main dealer. Or if you are playing a Solo, your job is to protect the dealer from the cops who bust in. Or if you are playing a Nomad, you are the getaway driver for the dealer. The missions are all the same, but why you are there and what you are doing would change depending on your role and choices within the game. That way, even though the missions are exactly the same in subsequent play-thrus, it will always feel unique. Imagine how interesting this could get in a co-op style game?

I also kind of like the idea that the Primary Role you choose might determine where you start the game... say if you are a Solo, you first appear at the airport, coming back from a job. If you are a Cop, you appear at the precinct. If you are a Nomad, you first appear outside the city and have to drive in...

An OPTIONAL lifepath would also be nice, a randomly generated history for your character that may influence the way some NPC's react with you, maybe have an enemy that keeps randomly spawning and coming after you in the game, creates an event or encounter in the game, or maybe opens up options to your early.

How awesome it would be if at various stages of the game, you could save a "character sheet" to the hard drive (if playing on a console), then transfer it to your PC and print it off. Or even be able to do it in reverse, take your favorite character, and input his stats and skills and lifepath in the game... maybe as a bonus that unlocks after you have beaten the game. That way you could truly merge the video game and the Pen and Paper game. .

im on mobile. i apologize for my misunderstanding of how to work forums from here (also new! help a gal out.) but i would really like a tiara of some sort. please :(

I hope there are some lovely faces to choose from instead of the usual fare. Why some games add 7 meh faces and 1 or 2 nice ones I'll never understand. Face morphing like Black Desert online would be nice though probably too late at this stage. Normal hairstyles as a choice as well.

Top Bottom