Character Customization!

+

Wherrrre..was it we talked about your Role and/or gear and/or looks causing varying reactions from NPCs?

You know, if you walk into the Corp Center wearing Gibson Battlegear or with 4 combat cyberarms, that would make Arasaka Security there a little less than happy?

Be interesting if you had a +/- faction bar beside different cyber, clothing and customization choices.

Well, I'm still in favour of NOT telling the player exactly how their appearance affects the reactions of NPCs. Let them work it out for themselves. Giggle.

So no faction bars.

Wherrrre..was it we talked about your Role and/or gear and/or looks causing varying reactions from NPCs?

You know, if you walk into the Corp Center wearing Gibson Battlegear or with 4 combat cyberarms, that would make Arasaka Security there a little less than happy?

Be interesting if you had a +/- faction bar beside different cyber, clothing and customization choices.

This being a CDPR game, I'd rather they avoid that mechanic and instead have the game world react to you. It's what they're good at. Maybe factions saying certain things when your around, ie; making threats if they don't like you, or perhaps you have ways to find out what the word on the street is regarding your reputation with a specific faction. That might involve hacking their communications or finding the right snitch to bribe.

Last edited:
You gave him a REDpoint for agreeing with you. Disgusting, this obvious patronage. When I give him REDpoints, he gets upset!

Well, it's a question of letting people find out the hard way..in a world setting they don't know at all.
Without reading up on the game, how would you know Cops do not like Nomads? Corps like Solos...but only certain kinds and certain kinds of cyberware?

That stuff is important during character creation if you wanted to make a Nomad who worked for the Police or a Rockerboy who was liked by Nomads. I'd at least include some kind of primer or smile/scowl reaction during character creation.

Presuming CDPR has such faction and appearance-based responses.

This isn't like Witcher, where you have to play Geralt with all that implies. If yo have this kind of control over character customization, it's a bit much to suggest that people go in blind to their choices.

I think a text summary or something would do as well, of course.

gotta gree with sard, red points or no... I mean, as a person living in the city, you should probably know some things, like wearing the wrong color in a certain part of town will get you killed, or pissing in the sink will get you thrown out of the corporations banquet...

OK, so differentiating between character creation and character development. I can accept that. But nothing as numerical as a slider. The alternative is that you start as a blank slate as far as rep is concerned and have to work handle the whole thing through development. That'll probably depend on the story itself. Or you chose the backstory and the setup function gives you the necessary markers.

I guess Sard is referencing CDPR's statement that our choice in the character creator influences how the NPC's treat us. So providing the player with some initial context is important. Sard gets a RED point. Not telling where I found it.

Last edited:
So providing the player with some initial context is important. Sard gets RED point. Not telling where I found it.

It's..it's BEAUTIFUL. So sleek, so durable. I love it. I want moooore.

Yeah, a slider is pretty bland, isn't it? I wonder....

Do you remember the character creator from Vampire Bloodlines? It asked you questions in hypothetical situations and your answers gave you a suggested Clan (Role) as well as playstyle? I wonder if CDPR or whoever is writing for them has considered either a walkthrough mission or even a simple yet highly thematic series of questions to give new players an idea of world setting and factions and Role optimizations/selections?

You could even set up some kind of Bartmoss Aptitude Determiner Test online before the game came out, give people an idea of the setting and some of their character options. Maybe get a head start on letting them know there are no levels or character classes per se, but these weird Role things, with skills and Role Packages and Lifepath generators. Show them some of the Selling Out options for 10,000 eb of cyber..

Could be cool.

An idea I had about the game's intro, and bear with me, has you starting out as an adolescent squatter on the streets. Someone who has no ties or family. Through a series of sudden and dramatic events, you're introduced to a corp who takes you into safety, into building and down a long hallway where holographic images on your right and left paint a history of Night City. Once you reach the end of the hallway he/she presents you with a choice of the classes in a way that doesn't break immersion - " you can work for me" ( solo) "you can become like me" ( corp) "or you can be an outcast" (nomad). Once you pick, the game fast forwards and provides a summary of what's happened during the interim, the origin story for that class. Then you're off and running.

I suppose that was completely off topic, not sure what brought that on. Sorry. :p

Last edited:
... have the game world react to you.

I'm hoping the game/world does react to "excessive" (obviously excessive is VERY much a matter of perception) cyber. Borgs go psycho, known side effect, so someone with large amounts of obvious augmentations should evoke a reaction.

Well, I'm still in favour of NOT telling the player exactly how their appearance affects the reactions of NPCs. Let them work it out for themselves. Giggle.

So no faction bars.

I would agree.. But i feel that should be difficulty based.. Also, in a setting like Cyberpunk, I'm not sure how i feel about the the things like faction clothing/armor.. I mean, unless it is a formal faction (like cops, where you have to wear a police uniform or at least a badge) or unless it is a poser gang faction, most people in same faction will wear random clothing and armor.. They wouldn't even all use same weapons.. They would have to have a distinguishing item over their clothing/armor (like a hat, bandana, chains or whatever) or have an insignia of some sort they paint over their clothing..

It's..it's BEAUTIFUL. So sleek, so durable. I love it. I want moooore.

Yeah, a slider is pretty bland, isn't it? I wonder....

Do you remember the character creator from Vampire Bloodlines? It asked you questions in hypothetical situations and your answers gave you a suggested Clan (Role) as well as playstyle? I wonder if CDPR or whoever is writing for them has considered either a walkthrough mission or even a simple yet highly thematic series of questions to give new players an idea of world setting and factions and Role optimizations/selections?

You could even set up some kind of Bartmoss Aptitude Determiner Test online before the game came out, give people an idea of the setting and some of their character options. Maybe get a head start on letting them know there are no levels or character classes per se, but these weird Role things, with skills and Role Packages and Lifepath generators. Show them some of the Selling Out options for 10,000 eb of cyber..

Could be cool.

Yeah, i really liked that about Bloodlines.. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in CP77..

...as a person living in the city, you should probably know some things, like wearing the wrong color in a certain part of town will get you killed, or pissing in the sink will get you thrown out of the corporations banquet...
Not that I'm trying to sell anyone on GTA V, but that's one of the things I think they do well. You may not necessarily know you're in the wrong part of town, but if you are, and you hang out long enough, some of the locals will tell you (in so many words) to f?!k off.

If you don't (or if you hostile them,) they start shooting.

Not that I'm trying to sell anyone on GTA V, but that's one of the things I think they do well. You may not necessarily know you're in the wrong part of town, but if you are, and you hang out long enough, some of the locals will tell you (in so many words) to f?!k off.

If you don't (or if you hostile them,) they start shooting.

And it's done so subtly, that you often don't even realize you are in trouble, until it's too late... In GTA games I have a habit of dishing a beat down to anyone who talks shit to my character, because fun... and in most areas, you throw a punch and the target and everyone else around you runs. Occasionally you might get someone joinging in... but you get down around Grove Street, or in some of the rural areas, and start throwing down with someone, and you end up dead before you even know whats going on.

The most beautiful thing is, the boundaries of these areas is unmarked, you just have to know... And it seems to change between day and night, becoming slightly larger once the sun goes down.

Thy really put a ton of details into the game that most people don't even notice, but make the world feel alive in ways few other games do.

The most beautiful thing is, the boundaries of these areas is unmarked, you just have to know... And it seems to change between day and night, becoming slightly larger once the sun goes down.

Thy really put a ton of details into the game that most people don't even notice, but make the world feel alive in ways few other games do.

If it's gang related there should be some graffiti that will give you a clue where the boundaries are.

Top Bottom