Character Customization!

+
having recently spent lots of time in the Dragon Age Inquisition character creator, I really really hope we get more than just face options. DA:I has lots of good face options, but there is no body customization whatsoever. Your character as a man or woman of [race x] always looks the same other than the face. It's annoying.

Do any games have it? If not, I'd go for a technical issue, if you allow body customization, it could really screw up animations, induce clipping, screw up clothing textures, lots of nasties. But if some games do it successfully without those issues, then I'm wrong :)

Do any games have it? If not, I'd go for a technical issue, if you allow body customization, it could really screw up animations, induce clipping, screw up clothing textures, lots of nasties. But if some games do it successfully without those issues, then I'm wrong :)

Oh, yeah, a variety of games had adjustments for size. Age of Conan had, it off the top of my head. You could do it in-game in GTA San Andreas.

Do any games have it? If not, I'd go for a technical issue, if you allow body customization, it could really screw up animations, induce clipping, screw up clothing textures, lots of nasties. But if some games do it successfully without those issues, then I'm wrong

Sims?
Saint's Rows IV?
Skyrim?

---------- Updated at 06:47 AM ----------

the true solution is to just have a character creator that can manipulate all parts of the body yo

can't wait to make a thunder thighs cop

Yes. I would like to have the same amount of customization for the character as Saint's Rows IV if not more.

About character creation, what I want is simple:
Something like "Second Life", where you basicaly can edit anything, really create your own character over predefined body-type.
Then no need to have any headache, you want it fat? make it fat, want small head and big feet? here you go, and what about a big butt?

The "I let you edit but no really" is kind of frustrating, mostly when you're supposed to create your own character, we do have the tech to make it, so let's go with it.

For the customization, it's cyberpunk so i expect a lot, no need to say more.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=2000050" target="_blank">Dragonbird</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> Black Desert can do it

right there at 18:50

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=2010717" target="_blank">Sardukhar</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> in GTA: San Andreas you could actually gain fat and muscle by eating and working out. It was awesome, wish we had something like that as well.

Last edited:
I am for "if you change this to X then Y and Z will be changed to accommodate for the differences and keep your character human". It should be realistic. Perhaps some could learn that no body part is separate from another through such character creation. Creating unrealistic expectations is only possible when there is no knowledge about how human body works. Being able to create something that doesn't exist is just wrong. Then we have men and women asking: "Why can't you look like that?".

Unrealistic expectations? This is sci-fi.

Are you talking about for example massive foreheads, things like that?

One thing I would like to see is an explanation for unrealistic things happening.

City of Heroes and Champions online had/have some levels of tampering with the body... although you could not create overweight characters I think. I do think Champions had a lot bigger character creation potential in looks and what not, much bigger freedom then even City of Heroes had.

One thing I would like to see is an explanation for unrealistic things happening.

Yes, this is sci-fi, cyberpunk to be more precise... but shouldn't all that "unrealism" come after we do something to tamper with the nature of our characters? I think what he means is that even if modern games have turned to the "adult", "grim and gritty", """""realistic""""" (with that much quotation)... they have usually combined that with a lot of a kind of stylization that always goes in the same direction: men have hands that are 5 times bigger than women's, they have muscles in their muscles' muscles, etc. which actually makes them and women look like they belong to entirely separate species. Look at Gears of War or Batman: Arkham Asylum/City (games which have a very cool aesthetic, on the other hand)... I think cyberpunk should allow for a variety of takes on masculinity, feminity and everything in between, and different kinds of heroes/anti-heroes and villains whose strength doesn't always lie in having hands bigger than everyone's head.

The recent Bioware games that I've played (Dragon Age and Mass Effect series)have never allowed for more than face options. And I understand the animations becoming wonky part of it as well. But even just having height and weight on a set of sliders and then just facial options is better than having to stare at the same body for every character.

Close, but not entirely. Body modeling should be separated from artificial changes. This way you can still make whatever character you want (through artificial customization), even when you keep body modeling fairly realistic. It would not clash with customization in any way.

Can't say I care much for the visual side of character customization, never been big for dress-up games. But I would be interested if the initial visuality of the character the player creates, played into how s/he can be created otherwise (stats) and how s/he performs in practice as what s/he physically is (eg. fat characers being slow and not much in the way of a beauty; though, of course countering the negatives in the gameplay and incentivizing the choice by having the "fatness" be a personal trait to which some NPC might respond more favorably, or perhaps even using the prejudice of that trait to ones advantage in certain situations, and some such).

Boob slider anyone? JK... where all adults here! I'd love an similar creation system to Saints Row crossed with Skyrim. Something fairly detailed, as I want my character to fit around me and feel as if I'm in this vast open world.

There's no reason body alterations, within limits, would effect animations, no 2m tall dwarves or 200kg elves for example.
Having the option to select a basic physique (muscle-bound, fit, average, outta shape, couch potato) and alter height +/-10 to 20% would be sufficient. No need to be able to do Popeye arms or DDD breasts. These sorts of alterations would have no effect on animations or cut scenes (thus saving the devs time/work) but would allow players some customization options.

I'd personally would care to have the option to change the textures, designs and collars/hoods on coats, shirts and hoodies for much more depth and individualism (kind of similar to APB: Reloaded). I plan on making a futuristic-like Assassin (not a Contract Killer, but a Vigilante type trying to make the world better like on the Assassin's Creed Series).

I know I've posted a pic or two of this girl before, I don't know if in this thread or the hairstyles or clothing but since those haven't been updated in a long time and I want to refer to pretty much all of that combined... this is Katie Lawrence AKA Iska Ithil, alternative model and artist and... what can I say, she looks like she can be quite a source of inspiration for the CP2077 designers for everything customization-wise:

She even has an "exotic" look. You know what I mean.

Top Bottom