Character Customization!

+
I'd also like to see different piercings, scars and freckles you're able to place wherever you want and eyelash and dimple options lol dimple chins too!

From what I've seen and read, character customization is deff gonna be on the game, i hope they do have a lot of variety and options to change it for a small in game fee.

From what I've seen and read, character customization is deff gonna be on the game, i hope they do have a lot of variety and options to change it for a small in game fee.

Maybe it'd be really cool if you unlocked more customization options after you've finished your first play through? But I'd definitely buy more down the track if CDRP decided to add more after it's released. That reminds me I'd also like eyepatches lol

Maybe it'd be really cool if you unlocked more customization options after you've finished your first play through? But I'd definitely buy more down the track if CDRP decided to add more after it's released. That reminds me I'd also like eye patches lol

Oh yeah i totally agree with you, I love leveling up and getting better and rare'r gear. I love end game items :p

Oh yeah i totally agree with you, I love leveling up and getting better and rare'r gear. I love end game items :p

I don't really.

I mean, yeah, I love levelling up and getting better gear, sure. I played Diablo.

In Cyberpunk, there are no "levels" to gear. THere are no levels, period.

You start with 40 "hit points" (really 12..after 12 you start making Death Saves) and after years of playing...you have those same hit points.

Your skills go up as you use them - and fail at them - but each skill goes up.

If you have the money and/or the connections, you can start play with Powered Armour or an Attack Helicopter.

There are no levels.

Of course you'll NEVER have the money for all the things you want, unless your GM is Monty Hall.

Kaebus2196

In Cyberpunk, there are no "levels" to gear. THere are no levels, period.

I do hope they stick to this for 2077. Then gear and cybernetics will actually have more purpose than appearance to them, and I won't have to worry about becoming overpowered to the point that I can walk down the street naked and punch out a whole gang of nomads. Then again, I suppose with the right cybernetics, that is an open possibility anyways.

Cyberware is supposed t be the mechanic by which you're capabilities are measured in 2020. If you aren't tough enough or fast enough or have the skills, go get some cash and buy some chrome...

Kaebus2196

But it's still limited to a different extent than your base skills, because after too much cyberware, you're character will lose it. So choices of cyberware matter as much as your skills do since you can't have them all (without console commands).

But it's still limited to a different extent than your base skills, because after too much cyberware, you're character will lose it. So choices of cyberware matter as much as your skills do since you can't have them all (without console commands).

Yep.

Being unstoppable really isn't a thing, even if your GM is Monty Haul. It can -be- a thing if he is crap or nice or crap and nice or something.

Many years ago, we had a player in a Full Body Conversion. Heavily armored, microprocessor controlled. Very tough. Pretty much unstoppable in general conflict - kind of shit socially, though.

Anyway.

He screwed up and got a warrant from Interpol.

One player, hopelessly outclassed by the FBC, was also a Cop. Hired by Interpol. His method was to get a tag on the FBC and figure out where he was flying to and from next.

Then he lay in wait with a Very Large Gun, aaaaallll the way down the airport landing strip. Zeroed in for the terminal, best assist gear Interpol could get him. Firing from, I dunno, whatever a really long strip is. Half a klick? More?

Bang Bang Splat. One crippled Borg, one warrant served.

Of course, you can't carry guns like that in regular use, (I think it was a Militech AM Cannon firing 30mm DPU), but it served it's purpose.

Choices of cyberware do absolutely matter - and bigger can't save you from the consequences of those choices.

Yes, a different extent. Skills are limited by time and experience. If you don't use them they wont improve. Cyberware is limited by money and Humanity loss, (though therapy can offset the humanity loss, at the expense of time and more money.)

But Cyberware can give you a lot of things that skills cannot, and vice versa. There are no skills that let you take more damage than other people, but there is plenty of Cyberware. And yes, there are skill chips, but they are inferior to 'real' skills.

I was thinking that a way of economizing some of the resources for character customization while allowing us to fine tune them as much as possible we could have different items come with different options beyond choosing the color, print, tucked or untucked, hood up or hood down, etc.
I was thinking about tattoos. It would be awesome to have tattoos as textures that can be applied reactively around the part of the body that we choose, making them bigger or smaller and combining them as we see fit, like in APB. But I was also thinking that the same "image file" could be used for tattoos, prints, etc and with different types of "ink" and so on.
Take the example of an image of a chinese dragon: we can use it as a regular T-shirt print or black or coloured ink tattoo, but we can also make it have a neon glow or even be animated. This could be explained with smart clothes or with an infusion of a kind of "digital ink", like the one in e-readers, but in tattoo version, that can change its position through the skin.

Kaebus2196

This could be explained with smart clothes or with an infusion of a kind of "digital ink", like the one in e-readers, but in tattoo version, that can change its position through the skin.

I'm not sure if it's a tattoo, but I know that there is a type of body marking that can change colors on demand. I also know what you mean about the APB graphic customization system, and having a similar player library where you can design a graphic and apply it to all different kinds of materials throughout the game is a phenomenal feature of APB. I think it would be great to see implemented in other games as well, especially one such as Cyberpunk where style, imagery, and labels are a big part of the social fashion. Maybe we could even see our special logos on NPC gear :D now that would be awesome. See your designer logo on clothing in shops and on pedestrians, or see your weapons manufacturing icon on the sides of security, military, and police firearms. It brings a new level to the idea of corporate warfare.

How plausible would it be to replace a characters' head with a cybernetic design similair to those of full borgs? And if possible, how much would it cost in terms of cash and humanity?

Okay, I answered my own question by looking into the books. A cybernetic faceplate costs 400$ and 4d6 humanity and grants 25 SP to your face.

Last edited:
I think that creating your own character is a highlight of RPGs. Have there been any games that also allow you to create the arch-villain - or main boss? It would be great if you could create not only your own character, but the main boss or rival in the game as well. Does anyone else think that that would be cool to do?

I think that creating your own character is a highlight of RPGs. Have there been any games that also allow you to create the arch-villain - or main boss? It would be great if you could create not only your own character, but the main boss or rival in the game as well. Does anyone else think that that would be cool to do?

For me that doesn't really appeal to me because I like surprises in games. I like the idea of the game giving me weird and spooky characters instead of me creating the main villain of the game.

For me that doesn't really appeal to me because I like surprises in games. I like the idea of the game giving me weird and spooky characters instead of me creating the main villain of the game.

But how awesome would it be if the arch villain was procedurally generated at character creation so that you had a new villain for every play through.

If only there was a way for that to work without it botching the the story...

It has been done, sort of. I dont know by how many, but I know of one place where it is sort of a thing you can do if you wish... and not just one time, but several times to if you like.

That game is the MMORPG Champions Online (a game based on the Champions pnp RPG), a game made by the same people who made City of Heroes/Villains (the original Super Hero mmorpg on the market as far as I know). In Champions Online, once you reach level 25, you can create your own "Nemesis", and then as you play the game you start getting things in the game which leads you on missions to take down your Nemesis and put him/her/it in jail. And once you have Jailed them you can do it again. From what I remember you had full controll over most things with your Nemesis, their looks, powers, and maybe a few more things (uncertain if you got to create their lair as well) Not sure how this works in the current game, if it has changed from back when I played CO for some time (City of Heroes/Villains was THE mmo for me, so CO never got that much time, plus I was pretty much done with mmo's when I finally tried CO).

Of course, this is not compleatly the same as you might be suggesting, to create the games main villain, since in CO there is a much bigger over-arching storyline going on with the "real villains", but I guess it is currently the closest thing we have.

But I do like your idea a bit, that you your self sort of create your own main enemy in a game. Something I can see that might work somewhat well is if it is based on your choices when you create your own character. Where certain things you pick when you create your character will make your enemy a certain someone with certain skills and certain... I don't know... stuff. XD

So your choice in your own characters class (Solo, Cop, Corporate, etc) will then behind the scenes (so you can not see it) roll on random table of certain types of enemies connected to your choicen class. And then let's say that you can also pick a (or several) "background" for your character, and based on your class and on the type of enemy the game rolled for you, it rolls on another set of random tables which fleshes out that enemy with skills, equipment, and style of... what ever. And through out this process of creating your character, or rather once you are done creating it and press "start playing", the game generates your main enemy, combined with who and what this character is, what they are good at, which set of missions and endgame kind of a thing you have to do, and which kinds of enviroments, enemies, and minor bosses you have to fight along the way, etc. All with some level of randomness to it, so even if you created the exact same character... your enemie would not be compleatly the same.

Of course this would be a massive undertaking for any developer, especially if your making a game that would be as huge as some of the RPG games on the market. So I am not sure it would be easy to pull off, especially if the entire game is based around this. So, a compromise I could see work, atleast initially for a game befor it has been proven as something that can be done well... would be if it was part of a bigger story, and would maybe only take up between 10-33% of the entire game. In that way they could test it out and see if it works or not... so much that could go wrong with something like this after all.

Top Bottom