Character Customization!

+
This is the biggest area for me. I've desperately wanted to see CDPR try their hand at a full character creation tool. I want to be able to create a female protagonist, as such gender choice is a huge draw here. I'd prefer the protagonist to be fully voiced as well. Having a variety of classes sounds great, perhaps some ranged with sniping weapons, and some melee. I'd really like to see a spin on the RPG trinity too (DPS, Tank, Healer) to make grouping with other players really interesting and varied. The concept of some tech power healer is really appealing to me. I want to see stats - lots and lots of stats - so I can customise and adjust my character as I see fit. Talent trees are a must. Stealth, hacking, these kinds of playstyles could all be implemented. Clothing and outfits should be a major component, and I'd love if we can always overlay our current gear with our favoured items - akin to the vanity tabs you find in MMOs to retain your look even when you put on new gear. Armour and weapon dyes would also be amazing, to really customise to your heart's content.

Guest 3907430

This is the biggest area for me. I've desperately wanted to see CDPR try their hand at a full character creation tool. I want to be able to create a female protagonist, as such gender choice is a huge draw here. I'd prefer the protagonist to be fully voiced as well. Having a variety of classes sounds great, perhaps some ranged with sniping weapons, and some melee. I'd really like to see a spin on the RPG trinity too (DPS, Tank, Healer) to make grouping with other players really interesting and varied. The concept of some tech power healer is really appealing to me. I want to see stats - lots and lots of stats - so I can customise and adjust my character as I see fit. Talent trees are a must. Stealth, hacking, these kinds of playstyles could all be implemented. Clothing and outfits should be a major component, and I'd love if we can always overlay our current gear with our favoured items - akin to the vanity tabs you find in MMOs to retain your look even when you put on new gear. Armour and weapon dyes would also be amazing, to really customise to your heart's content.

This, so much this. (except for the voiced protagonist part)

Let me rephrase what my friend here is saying, we NEED character customization.

Why did WOW start losing subs(streamlining talent trees), why did DA: Inquisition not resonate with fans(streamlined talents and spells and combat), why did Fallout 4 bomb on metacritic (removal of skills and unique sidequests), in short reduction in character customization.

Every game that simplifies the leveling system will not impress the RPG crowd, why? Because people who play RPGs are people who like to improve their character and the more systems there are to improve said character the more the game feels deep(that is why we have attributes, skills, talents, loot in RPGs and a character screen where you can view all these stats). If you can couple that with an open world and good quests, you have a GOTY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree. If the game is lacking in character customization and build options... it's just going to be lacking as a game overall.

We NEED to have a huge amount of customization. Basically if it's in the PnP, we should have it in the game.
And we NEED to have real options. Not just a dozen ways of making a combat character. We should be able to make a fully "talky" character who has no combat skill but can talk his way out of any situation.

Hell, Arcanum let us TALK the final boss of the game to death. We NEED that.

i both hate,and love this idea.

Why i hate it : CDPR is great at creating characters with rock solid backgrounds. like geralt. The characters are who they are,and their past and their past intractions is already written,that's how they managed to make the story of the witcher series so great and perfect. they won't have this kind of maneuverability with us making our own character and giving him/her a Class or a role
(Example : Geralt was a witcher,would the story still be great if you could choose him to be a Taylor ? No. then they couldn't put geralt against eredin, what is a taylor gonna do ? make eredin a really bad dress ? :| )

Why i love it : i would give anything to make a character from nothing, and make him an awesome main character,kill my enemy's with the background and lore of my liking, and shoot people with the face of my own choosing.
roam the night city with the kind of Personality traits of my own and talk to other characters freely, not be chained to the lore at all of the conversations.

if cdpr allows us to customize our character i think they are trying to compete with Bathesda ( i mean there's no competition to begin with, CDPR won 3-0 on witcher vs fallout,but then again,they want to be the best)

Last edited:
Well, while Geralt as something other than a Witcher doesn't work, that's due to his entire story being crafted around it. He's got a villain specifically designed to challenge him as a Witcher.

With Cyberpunk, we have a lot more freedom. So there can be a ton of ways to deal with whatever or whoever the villain is.

And look at games like Arcanum. The end villain is essentially a god, yet you can talk your way through the encounter and actually convince him that he's wrong, and get him to kill himself.

Well, while Geralt as something other than a Witcher doesn't work, that's due to his entire story being crafted around it. He's got a villain specifically designed to challenge him as a Witcher.

With Cyberpunk, we have a lot more freedom. So there can be a ton of ways to deal with whatever or whoever the villain is.

And look at games like Arcanum. The end villain is essentially a god, yet you can talk your way through the encounter and actually convince him that he's wrong, and get him to kill himself.
Expecting an AAA game to have the same feature as an old-school CRPG is just a recipe for setting yourself up for disaster friend. Then again W2 let you just let the "bad guy" walk away, and the HoS/BaW expansions did the same. So maybe you could get an option like that.

the protagonist must have a voice, otherwise it's just too boring,
as for other customization, i think each "class" shold start with class specific skills availables, so we can see the "class" in action right from the beginning and we don't have to wait to see how it is diferent
and one little detail: smething i like about dark souls is that the character can wear any armor, even if it's ridiculous, or enmy armors or clothing, it's fun, it's interesting,

Saints Row 2 imho had the best when it came to voices. Cause they had different ethnic voice actors for you to choose and they were pretty good.

Character voicing - in this context - is just a crutch for "cinematic feel" and cutscenes. A clever dev can implement those cutscenes and cinematics - if they are absolutely unquestionably required for what ever reason - without the PC ever speaking a word and without the scenes in question losing anything substantial.

Character voicing - in this context - is just a crutch for "cinematic feel" and cutscenes. A clever dev can implement those cutscenes and cinematics - if they are absolutely unquestionably required for what ever reason - without the PC ever speaking a word and without the scenes in question losing anything substantial.

Oh boy, here we go again...Kofeeiniturpa/Mebrilia/Suhiira coalition against everything modern, good and true. :p

Eh, what's wrong with spacebar here?It's seems to go on and off every now and then.

Oh boy, here we go again...Kofeeiniturpa/Mebrilia/Suhiira coalition against everything modern, good and true. :p

Eh, what's wrong with spacebar here?It's seems to go on and off every now and then.

Known bug. Forums undergoing work.

Also, I'm against character voicing if it reduces my ability to customize my character. Which, in Fallout 4, for example, it totally did. I built "Snake Plissken" (because I am original as HELL) and did my guy sound like Snake? Hell no. In my head, sure, but in the game? Ugh.

Pre-selected voice(s) are like pre-selected features: they narrow character customization down to the options provided. One voice, one option. That's not character building.

I'm not against "everything modern, good and true", I'm just opposed to making it an FPS with a four, "Yes, No, Sarcastic, Later", dialog options.

If CDPR can make it voiced with multiple voices and dialog options I'll be more then happy to see it voiced.

Oh boy, here we go again...Kofeeiniturpa/Mebrilia/Suhiira coalition against everything modern, good and true.

Modern, good and true? You make me sound like the mustache twirling villain of the story. Perhaps I am, but you don't know that. Not yet anyway.

More like against everything pointless and distracting (context sensitive). "Modern" for the sake of "modern" isn't always the best of choices.

Top Bottom