Character Customization!

+
Well for me, I want a similar details with Black Desert character creator. So far, I think it's the best and most detailed face and body creation system.

Trouble is ... unlike Black desert chances are CP2077 will have lots of facial (and body) animation and speech ... fully customizable character faces are a "bit" of a problem, as are tall/short thin/fat bodies.

Character customization goes beyond the creation process, because there are many, many ways to make a character your own. If we're talking about just the creation process, though, I only ask that they allow for some level of body customization. You can do as much as you want to the face, but one of the things that has always irked me about CC games is when all characters look the same. Like different heads attached to the same body.

For me the ability and to what degree I am able to create and customize my own character will largely impact how much I invest (time and money) in CP2077.

For instance even though I bought TW3 I ended up only playing about 10 hours and moved on to other games which is something I actually feel guilty about as I really enjoyed TW2 and it doesn't take much to see the quality of experience that TW3 offers.

For some reason I couldn't connect to Geralt this last time around and it hinders me from getting into the game though I've tried on multiple occasions which leaves me feeling like I'm the problem but in the end I want what I want.

As so many have suggested, I am hoping for an in depth character creation utility that allows me to craft my own avatar to explore Night City, the more customizable the better.

I'll be disappointed if it's not a predefined character. Going the "Skyrim" way maybe will please a wider audience but on the other hand character developement and storywise it will be shit. I see no point having a generic main protagonist when they have such talented writers. They have proved their worth with the witcher saga and should continue with this style of gaming.

serxho92;n8530020 said:
I'll be disappointed if it's not a predefined character. Going the "Skyrim" way maybe will please a wider audience but on the other hand character developement and storywise it will be shit. I see no point having a generic main protagonist when they have such talented writers. They have proved their worth with the witcher saga and should continue with this style of gaming.

I may remember wrong, but wasn't it mentioned somewhere in the past that you will be able to choose a male or female protagonist, which suggests a custom character? It would also make sense because of the different source material. Of course, plans can change, but it is a quite fundamental aspect of the game. Even in the case of The Witcher, it seems CDPR want to move away from Geralt now that his story is wrapped up, perhaps that franchise could switch to a custom protagonist as well if the concept is successful in CP2077.

Not having a predefined protagonist does not necessarily imply bad story or quests. Of course, it is a limiting factor when it comes to the more personal interactions with NPCs, like family or romances, although some might consider having less of those in the game a feature. But many of the good quests and sub-plots in Witcher 3 do not specifically depend on the character of Geralt. I think bad writing and quest design in Bethesda games has more to do with them having bad writers and quest designers than with character customization. After all, Fallout New Vegas is better in those aspects while still featuring a player created protagonist, and it was made with rather limited resources.

A predefined main character does have an advantage with voice acting, however: Geralt's lines are about 28% of all the dialogue in Witcher 3 + expansions, so multiple voices would add to the costs (which CDPR can now afford if the additional sales make it worth it), or some of the quality and/or number of choices needs to be sacrificed like it happened in Fallout 4.

serxho92;n8530020 said:
I'll be disappointed if it's not a predefined character. ... [if it is] character developement and storywise it will be shit.

I don't see the how that follows.

Good storytelling and character developement in an RPG do not require a set protagonist (It is likely to even be a hindrance due to all the baggage the predefinition forces upon the character).

Skyrim route is BAD. That I agree. An acquaintance of mine put it quite well... The total blank slate character of Skyrim can hardly even be called a role since he or she is, by merits and intent of design, just an adult infant with no past life or acquaintances, and who seemily just fell down from the sky one day not long before the game begins, and started wandering the world. Like this:

That's not good for an RPG. That's just "avatar" or "virtual costume" simulation.

Some indications of the charcters past are needed for the role. The character creation (which in Skyrim is only visual) provides the first clues through skills and stats, and then there's the Lifepath system (if that is put in the game) that further defines the past of the PC as per how you wish him to be.

For example, in Fallout (1) the PC has a past and a home and a motivation, but this is kept vague enough to allow the player to define most of who the character is and who he becomes during the game. That is the way to go, not providing the player an unalterable Rick Deckard, Alex Murphy or Douglas Quaid. In my opinion.

Last edited:
I keep suggesting CDPR make use of CP2020's Lifepath system to give your character a background and friends/foes. One or two encounters somewhere in the game related to each Lifepath event would work wonders toward making your character feel like a person not just an avatar you're playing.

Lifepath is one of the hallmark features of the original pen and paper game.

Would kind of be a waste not to include it.

Yeah I hope for some sort of lifepath mechanic that results in different NPC relations with specific NPCs and unique questlines based on life path choices. In concept what I hope for would look like this:

1. First name - you get to choose it.
2. Appearance - you choose from one of ten defaults (south Asian, east Asian, African, Caucasian & Hispanic ... male and female for each). You can then further customize eye color, hair color & style, scars & tattoos. I personally hope we can't alter facial structures, as it results in a diluted product visually IMO. This also picks your surname for you.
3. Family - choose from one of six families (both parents alive, together - both parents alive but separate - mother deceased - father deceased - both parents deceased w/siblings - orphaned). Choice can effect starting socio-economic status. Gives you a unique quest line and dialogue.
4. Best friend - choose from one of six NPCs (a description of each history is included) - gives you a unique quest line and dialogue.
5. Worst enemy - choose from one of six NPCs (a description of each history is included) - gives you a unique quest line and dialogue.
6. Former romantic interest - choose from one of six NPCs (3 male, 3 female) or the option to have none (a description of each history is included) - gives you a unique quest line and dialogue.
7. Role - choose a role (with set background info included) from the nine classic options.
8. Stats - I think there should be six stats - Body Type (strength & constitution) - Reflexes - Empathy - Cool - Intelligence - Tech. I think luck, attractiveness & movement allowance should be scrapped. Luck and attractiveness because in a video game all it will result in is a % increase and MA because it seems like the type of thing that could result in some really complicated coding.
9. Skills - based on your role and stats - select from a group of skills to start the game with. I had ideas on how this could be done here - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...l-progression-and-roles?p=9040200#post9040200

Last edited:
This, some kind of a life path system, is something I have always loved when rpg's have it in them to some level or another. Obsidian Entertainments game Tyranny for example did a really good job with something of this nature with building your character and their backstory up befor you started to play the actual game part of the game. I felt more attached to that character then in have done for most other characters I have made in most other rpg games out there... be it "oldschool" types of cRPG's or more "modern" types of RPG's.

And seeing as CP2077 is a game which is based on a pnp rpg which does include a life path system, then I feel that it would be a really shame if they did not take advantage of that and used it in CP2077. Sure, it would be a lot of work making something this complex, but if done right it could be a massive plus to the game I feel.

Most of that comes from that my favorit pen and paper rpg has it, and atleast one other pnp rpg's that I really like also have this... things which builds up your character and their background, etc. And I do always compare my computer/console RPG's against pen and paper rpg's, because that is where my love for the RPG genre started when me and my friends found and started to play pnp rpg's back somewhere around very late 1995 to early 1996.

I love how it makes the characters I make feel more like real actual people... then a character that just feels constructed and plastic and not like a real person in systems which does not have this kind of a life path type of a systemg. Now, it's not like I need these systems to make characters with a good backstory and what not, my imagination is pretty good really, and my all time favorit (and first ever) pnp rpg character that I have ever made and played was made in a pnp rpg system which does not have something like the life path system. But for the most part, once I am done making a character in either type of systems, characters I have created in pnp rpg's with some kind of a life path systems has always felt like more complete characters. Because I know what has happend to them in the past, how that has effected the growth of the character into who they are "today" when they start on their journey into adventure and what not, and I know in a lot of ways their personality as well due to those things which happend to them... I basicly know who they are by the time I start playing. Where as that is not always the case when I start playing a character which I built in a game which do not have a life path type of a system.

Granted, in the pnp rpg's I have played and loved, most of the life path type of things tend to be compleatly random (in my favorit pnp rpg you roll D100's on a lot of different result tables, where several of the large tables have anything from 50-100 different results on them)... where as most computer/console games which have something like a life path system tends to not be random and you can pick what you want. But even then, with it not being random in computer/console games, but where you pick what ever result you want as you make the character (like in Tyranny), I still love it because it makes my characters feel like real actual people. :)

Last edited:
So, there's this Final Fantasy XV multiplayer character creation that just came out and looks kinda cool.

[video=youtube;kqbPW-ymNsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbPW-ymNsQ[/video]

Overdosing;n9266391 said:
So, there's this Final Fantasy XV multiplayer character creation that just came out and looks kinda cool.

[video=youtube;kqbPW-ymNsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbPW-ymNsQ[/video]

Yeah saw it too and it looks really cool as well, character creation wise.

That is cool, but I like the idea of uploading an image of myself (or someone else) and using that as a template. FIFA lets you do this with your face so you can see yourself on the pitch with the rest of your squad.

4meg;n9268021 said:
That is cool, but I like the idea of uploading an image of myself (or someone else) and using that as a template. FIFA lets you do this with your face so you can see yourself on the pitch with the rest of your squad.

I got a love/hate relationship with that.

While if it works it works great, sometimes it can glitch and either make my face glitchy or ugly as hell.

Claylex;n9280521 said:
I got a love/hate relationship with that.

While if it works it works great, sometimes it can glitch and either make my face glitchy or ugly as hell.

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference with me. Hell, it might even be an improvement.

Czesc! Jestem wielkim fanem waszych gier, Wiedzmina, w szczegolnosci, a pomysl na wydanie gry Cyberpunk 2077 sprawia ze mam ciarki na plecach LOL. Apropos kreacji postaci, chcialem was poprosic, zebyscie nie scinali zakretow... mianowicie zeby mozna bylo wszystko osiagnac jesli chodzi o wyglad. Muskularna laska, muskularny gosciu - przecierz w 2077 moga sie nasterydowac w erze gdzie sztuczne dopalanie jest na topie... I jesli juz isc w ta strone, prosze zrobcie to naprawde "wyjebiscie" zeby postac mogla wygladac jak kulturystka... :) brakuje tego w wielu grach! ;) Dzieki... Niemoge sie doczekac! :p

Zrobilem ten render ostatnio z mysla o Cyberpunk 2077

Hey! I'm a great fan of your Witcher games, and hearing about the Cyberpunk 2077 is thrilling! Character creation - I would like to ask you guys, so you don't cut corners when making it, and so most every look was attainable with it. Muscular chick, or a guy - in 2077 they could be using steroids, in the era of artificial enchancements... So if you guys go in the direction of making most things possible when creating your character, please don't neglect, this aspect, so that your character could look like a bodybuilder, both female and male. This is aspect that is missing from most of the games. Thank you! And I cant wait for Cyberpunk 2077!!!

I made this render thinking about Cyberpunk 2077

Attachments

• Triss_LoadingBayLeatherTop_02.jpg
    Triss_LoadingBayLeatherTop_02.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Tigersan666;n9297741 said:
Czesc! Jestem wielkim fanem waszych gier, Wiedzmina, w szczegolnosci, a pomysl na wydanie gry Cyberpunk 2077 sprawia ze mam ciarki na plecach LOL. Apropos kreacji postaci, chcialem was poprosic, zebyscie nie scinali zakretow... mianowicie zeby mozna bylo wszystko osiagnac jesli chodzi o wyglad. Muskularna laska, muskularny gosciu - przecierz w 2077 moga sie nasterydowac w erze gdzie sztuczne dopalanie jest na topie... I jesli juz isc w ta strone, prosze zrobcie to naprawde "wyjebiscie" zeby postac mogla wygladac jak kulturystka... :) brakuje tego w wielu grach! ;) Dzieki... Niemoge sie doczekac! :p

Zrobilem ten render ostatnio z mysla o Cyberpunk 2077

Hey! I'm a great fan of your Witcher games, and hearing about the Cyberpunk 2077 is thrilling! Character creation - I would like to ask you guys, so you don't cut corners when making it, and so most every look was attainable with it. Muscular chick, or a guy - in 2077 they could be using steroids, in the era of artificial enchancements... So if you guys go in the direction of making most things possible when creating your character, please don't neglect, this aspect, so that your character could look like a bodybuilder, both female and male. This is aspect that is missing from most of the games. Thank you! And I cant wait for Cyberpunk 2077!!!

I made this render thinking about Cyberpunk 2077

Welcome to the forum! I really agree the character customization should have lots of unconventional details.

Top Bottom