Character death: the final frontier?

+
Character death: the final frontier?

So, what do you think, folks?

If your character eats a .50 cal slug to the dome, should it be QQ, game over, roll a new character / reload from last save, or should there be a GTA mechanic that spits you out at the nearest hospital / ripperdoc, with your wallet a little bit lighter?

I would say both depending on difficulty.

For a normal game difficulty, respawn at the ripperdoc or a trauma center.
If CDPR can implement a Ironman/Hardcore mode, reroll Chombatta!

Depends ,in cyberpunk 2020 exits the term resurrected because you can heal almost any injury that not cause instant death.

So if u can call the trauma team you can respawn if not (i.e. undercover mission) you will have to load the game again.

I'd be fine with a GTA-style respawn. However, I'd like to see a few tweaks to it.

If there are NPCs / Mercenaries / Hirelings / Followers / etc. in the game, I'd like them to take an active part in trying to keep you from bleeding out (similar to Army of Two, when your squad-mate goes apesh!t hostile, and tries to save you.)

Also, if you have the euro for a Trauma Team account, I'd like an AV to swoop down (within a reasonable timeframe, of course, instead of instantly,) providing cover-fire, and whisking you off to a nice, clean hospital.

And agreed; if there's an Ironman / Hardcore mode, and no one is around to stabilize you... sorry choomba. Time for a new character.

I plan to play on Hardcore/RTal/2020 or whatever difficulty they call it, where you have ONE save and if you die, you have to load back to wherever you last saved.

I might try Insane, actually.

I wouldn't mind seeing a GTA respawn at City Medical or Crisi Medical or a private facility IF I had Trauma Team and IF they got to me before I reached DEAD 10 - that's up to 5 minutes of being dead before you are unrevivable.
In fact, if you gave me the above condition, I'd be obliged to play on Insane - one life diff.

And if they had open-world co-op AND these difficulty settings? You'd be in the PnP game. So cool.

Also: a .22 to the head should kill you if it penetrates your armour. If it doesn't drop you immediately, the trauma will get you shortly thereafter.
AND, although medicine can heal a remarkable amount in 2020, not everything. Some damage requires a V. Diff or Nearly Impossible skill check, 25-30 on 1d10 plus mods for the medtech trying to revive you. Those are easy to blow. And then you die.

I think this thread is on the right track given the limitations of what a ref can come up with over the table vs what you can reasonably ask of a computor game. Though this being Cyberpunk I'd like to see maybe 3 levels of difficulty with permadeath at the top of two of them. Then there will be 2 modes I can play.

Easy, wake up in hospital every time

Tough, wake up in hospital unless you are red mist, having taken so much damage theres nothing left

Hardcore/Iron man, true to game system.

Also: a .22 to the head should kill you if it penetrates your armour. If it doesn't drop you immediately, the trauma will get you shortly thereafter. .

Well most systems kind of account for this by having the head absorb less damage in the first place. And the reality of the effects or lack thereof of gunshots to the head is probably not worth going to even in a mature game setting.

Have a hardcore mode for those that want to see far they can get before perma death. Day Z as an FPS made use of the perma death mechanic because the game had a horror survival element to it, while cyberpunk is about survival, the system is not likely to see much use in an RPG.

I want my trauma team. Land, open fire, get me out. Well, at least if I would be able to break the TT card.. if not, tough luck :D

Yngh

Forum veteran
Save & Load + optional perma-death. Maybe you could be "respawned", but only under certain conditions (when it makes sense and is justified), not in all cases. No GTA-like respawn, please. Run around, blow everything, respawn, rinse and repeat... meh.

I picked other, I'm being terribly hopeful but... what I'd love for this game is to have it played like you'd play the tabletop (I'm not a tabletop gamer so my perceptions might be a bit flawed);

You start a game, create your character and it implements you in the proper area for your class. And all mission/storyline content is set in stone, but locations are randomly generated so your skills are put to the test to piece the puzzle together. Death based on reloading (think Deus Ex, nothing wrong with that) or fully permanent so you won't be completing every single venue you undertake.

Storyline content leads you throughout the cityscape, through randomly picked but appropriately tagged NPCs (home owners in any given district or of any walk of life) with your skills to decide how you obtain your little puzzle piece. Always unpredictable and maximum replayability, so you don't have many classes and yet follow the same path for every single one, or maybe two or three paths.

Longevity is key, though I realize creating a proper random content generation system is very time consuming and/or expensive. A man can still hope.

Reload last autosave, last save, for normal.

Purist mode, ummmmmm, just restart entire level or something. I get attached to my character.

No GTA-like respawn, please. Run around, blow everything, respawn, rinse and repeat... meh.

I want to agre with you... but at the same time, that has its place... when the difficulty of a game gets frustrating, I really want to be able to just go ape shit on the world, relieve some stress... and while I wouldn't mind having to restart at the last save point, having to start all over again from scratch everytime I blow off steam with a ridiculous slaughter, would just kind of kill the game altogether for me.

Yngh

Forum veteran
I want to agre with you... but at the same time, that has its place... when the difficulty of a game gets frustrating, I really want to be able to just go ape shit on the world, relieve some stress... and while I wouldn't mind having to restart at the last save point, having to start all over again from scratch everytime I blow off steam with a ridiculous slaughter, would just kind of kill the game altogether for me.
Then change the difficulty level or save the game before doing sth stupid if you don't want to live the consequences... I mean, what kind of argument is that?

And seriously, people, time to end this stupid "X would kill the game for me" or "I won't buy the game if Y is not in". We are all adults here (I suppose), so don't act like teenagers.

What about a Minecraft/Terraria style softcore and hardcore mode? One removes save file after death, the other leaves it and lets you load at will.

I want if they are reading to this topic wish by the way this topic have a interesting value. I will like to see for that some different difficulties.

A) Normal. Create character, dies, re-spawn in a hospital. And if i get arrested do time in jail. I really will like to see that in this game. (not like in GTA either)

B) Hardcore. Create character, dies and have to create another one.

I know that creating character because I die is some kind of silly. But it does bring the reality to it. Besides It will be a different and great XP to play that way. I will like to try something like that.

P.S. And please no easy options to the game...it have no meaning for a game have that option.

Yngh

Forum veteran
What about a Minecraft/Terraria style softcore and hardcore mode? One removes save file after death, the other leaves it and lets you load at will.
The Witcher 2 used such a system. Maybe CP2077 will use the same one...

@down +1

So, what do you think, folks?

If your character eats a .50 cal slug to the dome, should it be QQ, game over, roll a new character / reload from last save, or should there be a GTA mechanic that spits you out at the nearest hospital / ripperdoc, with your wallet a little bit lighter?

Save/reload is fine, as is "ironman" gameplay as an option.

But it most definitely should not have the GTA "wake up in a hospital good as new" bullshit. If your character dies, he dies, time to reload where ever you saved last. The GTA system does nothing but cheapen death and overly lighten the tension, and would also give the game a cheap arcade feeling it should not have.

And seriously, people, time to end this stupid "X would kill the game for me" or "I won't buy the game if Y is not in". We are all adults here (I suppose), so don't act like teenagers.

Auch then this next one is gonna hurt :D I definately want quick save / load (or at least manual). And it should work so that load returns me to the exact same postion and time with no enemies spawned. I've adabted this "Save often. You never know what might be waiting for you around the corner" that old rpgs kept telling me :)
Totally fine if you can't save mid combat (Mass Effect). I'd propably end abusing it :p

For example Borderlands 2 seemed like a great game, but as soon as I noticed that load returns me to base and enemies have spawned -> uninstall. There are several similar cases, Gears of War comes to mind. I endured Sleeping Dogs since developers lied about that information and I ended up bying it.

But I'm not really worried since this is CDPR <3 . More worried about some people here who seem to wanna turn this into consolized gta clone or some such, but so far I have high trust for CDPR.

Top Bottom