Character death: the final frontier?

+
Thats just perfect ahahaha
" argumented legs?Think twice".

^^ yep agree with above , has me rethinking my intitial ideas

For those that don't have trauma team coverage,

respawn on a ripperodcs slab, 10 seconds out from being sold as parts, what do you do?

hmm.... the idea of just failing missions... is interesting...

It would seriously shorten the duration of the game though...

If you're dead, your only option should be to "turn back time" - that is, load a save (or not, in iron man mode). Respawning is a massive immersion breaker for me as it's usually totally unrealistic.

I would say it depends on difficulty, if you get an autosafe that autoloads on death, if you have to roll a new toon or can load at a safe of your choice.

But that should only come if dead and non-resurectable. If you have trauma team contract or somebody ships you to their corporate laboratory for experimental or your contact drags you to a ripper doc before death becomes untreatable, you can be saved and just respawn on the med bed.

Of course, if the mission you were on is time sensitive or you had mission sensitive items with you, the mission is autofail.

Really depends on your difficulty. But I think I'll go with reloading your last save. They should definitely incorporate quick save. I'd say take Fallout 3/NV as an example.

I would say both depending on difficulty.

For a normal game difficulty, respawn at the ripperdoc or a trauma center.
If CDPR can implement a Ironman/Hardcore mode, reroll Chombatta!

I like this. Also, if you respawned back at the ripperdoc or trauma center. There should be atleast a good sizable penalty for dying... say... your cybernetic limb gets destroyed or impaired forcing you to A) Spend more cash on limb repair/replacement or B) Deal with the consequences of losing a limb/prosthetic in fight until you get more cash.

Since this is an RPG, like most RPGs and other games I think mostly it will be the 'regular' first option. However I would very much want it to be GTA style spawn.

speaking of deaths, the most ridiculous yet most interesting of them all was the prince of persia 2008 game. While the game was beautiful in terms of visuals and story, the thing was you don't die at all!
when your health is near zero, your ally (well she is a sorceress or some complicated shit like that) says 'NOOOO!!!!" and you re-spawn 'damaged' continuing the fight which you were and the enemy's health somewhat not full though is regenerated. Now how about something like that lol (please don't kill me) :p

Yngh

Forum veteran
If you're dead, your only option should be to "turn back time" - that is, load a save (or not, in iron man mode). Respawning is a massive immersion breaker for me as it's usually totally unrealistic.
Indeed, although we can't say a priori that there won't be any in-game situations when "respawn" would be an acceptable option. It definitely shouldn't be the norm, though.

the thing was you don't die at all!
when your health is near zero, your ally (well she is a sorceress or some complicated shit like that) says 'NOOOO!!!!" and you re-spawn 'damaged' continuing the fight which you were and the enemy's health somewhat not full though is regenerated. Now how about something like that lol (please don't kill me) :p
*throws the stone at Aditya*

Don't even dare to post such heresy here :p.

Hmm...I went with other. I like the idea of it depending on difficulty level.

Easy - Weeflerunner - you die, you respawn at the hospital and carry on, less a few euro.

Normal - Corporate Wage Slave - you die, better hope your TT account is paid up, else you risk waking up on a ripperdoc's slab, about to be harvested for organs and cyber. Or perhaps getting repaired, but with a few...surprises built in. Maybe even waking up to find that you have been "generously" repaired by someone lik Arasaka or Militech and all they ask in return is that you do them a favor or two...and don't worry about the discomfort at the back of your neck...;)

Hard - Hardened Veteran - You better have that TT paid up or you can expect to be harvested on the spot, in other words...reload previous save game.

Iron Man - Cyberpsycho Maximus - you're going out in a pink and chrome mist, because if you are tough enough to play here, your enemies are coming with the BFG's. Get ready to start a new character.

I would also go so far as to suggest that even if you do have TT paid in full for a platinum account, the harder difficulty levels make it less likely that they can get to you in time. Assuming you do get your TT card snapped in time, on harder difficulty levels, you could expect things like your foes putting that final bullet through your skull or the scavengers moving in more quickly after the firefight.

Something to think about, anyway...

voted for "other"
however as i explained it in another post but in short: i would like for the game to allow to fail a certain missions (they cant be replayed) which would result in the story going in a different way than if you succeeded. This would probably result in lots of saving before missions which i guess would make the first option closest to that.

voted for "other"
however as i explained it in another post but in short: i would like for the game to allow to fail a certain missions (they cant be replayed) which would result in the story going in a different way than if you succeeded. This would probably result in lots of saving before missions which i guess would make the first option closest to that.
I loved this fact in Heavy Rain!

I foresee though a shoehorning in of the soul killer technology a la Alt Cunningham, backing up minds and transferring into clones. Not happy with the idea per se, but I guess when people are rich andowerful enough (reminds me of brain taping in the book Hardwired) then it opens it up as a possibility..

K.

I have no knowledge of the PnP RPG so I'm just ignorantly throwing my idea out. I imagine 2077 having some form of cloning (we have it today but not very good). So I could see some base fee to get a new clone made ala The 6th Day style memory reset. And then extra fee's added on for your augmentations. This would also help support the pacifist style game play because it's cheaper when they die.

While cloning is indeed part of the 2020 canon (re: Johnny Silverhand being reborn as Mr. John Silverhand,) it's definitely not commonplace.

For the just-starting-out Edgerunner, eating kibble and ramen, I don't really see cloning as being a viable option for a "respawn" mechanic.

While cloning is indeed part of the 2020 canon (re: Johnny Silverhand being reborn as Mr. John Silverhand,) it's definitely not commonplace.

For the just-starting-out Edgerunner, eating kibble and ramen, I don't really see cloning as being a viable option for a "respawn" mechanic.

Amen and please god no.... Cyberpunk is about plausibility, not being uploaded to an endless number of clones......... seriously fuck all that..

IIRC, the whole "cloning" thing with Johnny was experimental tech. Not exactly like going down to the mall to get those L-wire hair implants.

Even if we wind up being SUPAR-AWESOEM!!1 leet Edgerunners, the idea of "endless clone respawns" doesn't appeal to me.

In PnP if you r dead, you r dead. The same should be in Cp77.
That's why I have proposed teams of 6 to be created and fully controlled.

Aaaand just a little because you miss CRPG-style group role-play, right? The good old days of Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate and whatnot.

Those were fun, but I always found them RP-lite. Hard enough to get into one persons' head, never mind 4 or 5 people.

I do miss Minsc, though. But who doesn't?!

Top Bottom