Character death: the final frontier?

+
Oi, Sard, your multi-quote is all bollocksed up. Can't make out what point you're trying to get across.

Though, looks like you're trying to poke Wisdom with a stick.

As usual. Situation normal; carry on.

No, it made sense. Sard was criticising Wisdom for replying to something Sard said six months ago, and pointing out that Wisdom had already replied to it once.

- Dragonbird, moderator and nested quoted disentangler. Late.

I onestly don't see the problem if when your character is dead is dead... Even mainstream game like skyrim have this feature so.... what is bad about it?... I honestly dislike to respawn at the hospital ala gta....break immersion for sure....

Imagine the scene: A grenade just explode in your face BOOOM magically after you are like new and fresh out from the hospital...

Is just silly

I onestly don't see the problem if when your character is dead is dead... Even mainstream game like skyrim have this feature so.... what is bad about it?... I honestly dislike to respawn at the hospital ala gta....break immersion for sure....

Imagine the scene: A grenade just explode in your face BOOOM magically after you are like new and fresh out from the hospital...

Is just silly

There's this company in Cyberpunk 2020, called Trauma Team International. When you "die", or are severely injured, a Trauma Team AV is dispatched to your location, and their heavily armed team will extract your "dead" or unconscious body, and then they'll nurse you back to life. Obviously, it costs a lot of eb. However, that's how things work in this world. For some people.

Is not silly.

Sort-of.

First, TT doesn't go everywhere. You bite it fourth floor of Arasaka Tower, that's it for you, my friend. TT isn't going to try to extract you there unless you have a -lot- of pull with them.

Second, they have a response time. It's limited - GMO or 1d6 minutes, iirc.

Third, when you die, unless it's really..messy..you hit DEAD. There are ten states of DEAD and you go through one ever thirty seconds, two a minute.

Also, TT comes heavily armed because sometimes, people shoot them down and take their shit.

All the years we played, a successful TT extraction was the exception.

All true. The point I was trying to make, however, was that if you'd happen to wake up in the hospital in this game, it wouldn't be completely unheard of. After all, you're the protagonist of this game, whether there's a huge plot or not. You are, sort of, the hero of your own gaming experience.

Also, TT in 2077 might have more balls and firepower. Who knows?

Heh. Can't you just see a drawn out full scale firefight between TT AV-10s ( or whatever in 77) and Arasaka Security, just to rescue your Corp chaarcter who had a fatal food allergy while visiting Arasaka Tower?

I am in the pro Trauma Team camp, but I have to say that I would not expect them to go everywhere. (Do they cover outside the city limits?) Mega Corp properties should be out of their catchment zone, though minor corps and twang territory should be ok still.

And they shouldn't always make it, sometimes we should die and have to reload from a save. (speaking of which, how cool would it be to use Dataterms as 'save points'!)

If we do have allies in the game though, then making sure one or more of them knows first aid would be very handy. They should stand a chance of keeping you going until the cavalry arrives, if it arrives...

It does pose a question about multiplayer though. What happens if you for in multiplayer? You can't really save multiplayer content, so would you have to go backto a save prior to the run?

Trauma team is not evrywhere and ever they can't fix you if a bullet ends to smash your skull or if your body is taken ripped a part in a explosion..... I want avoid the effect off.... I taken a rocket in the face but trauma team fixed me and i am ok.... ((and yes that is extremely silly))

Mike says: Cyberpunk is not about saving the world... is about saving yourself...

Heh. Can't you just see a drawn out full scale firefight between TT AV-10s ( or whatever in 77) and Arasaka Security, just to rescue your Corp chaarcter who had a fatal food allergy while visiting Arasaka Tower?

Well, obviously the Arasaka Tower (if it even exists), wouldn't exactly be the most obvious place where the TT comes to get you, but basically what it boils down is profit. Is it profitable for TT to throw one of their teams to the wolves and try and keep you alive paying your premiums, if it also means Arasaka can get a bit pissed off? Money makes the world go round.

I taken a rocket in the face but trauma team fixed me and i am ok.... ((and yes that is extremely silly))

Well, a rocket in the face is nothing! Just add some subdermal armor and other fun stuff and you're a-OK! Just kidding, obviously you shouldn't respawn if your head explodes.

That's what the save-load cycle is for. Quickload, try, fail, quickload, try, fail, quickload, try, succeed, quicksave, try, fail, quickload, ad infinitum.

Mike says: Cyberpunk is not about saving the world... is about saving yourself...

It's about saving yourself. Or paying TT a huge sum of money to save you. :cool:

EDIT: I could've posted these all in one post. Oops.

It would make sense if you could reload at local hospital if you bought a Trauma Team or REO Meatwagon account, since they would be recovering you from wherever you flatlined and stabilizing you long enough to get you to the hospital. Make the account cost enough that for some edgers its just not worth it.

yes but you must be in certain context... i mean if a gang shoted you down is even even hard that they let you there bleeding... they just kill you and eventually try to sell your body parts agumented one or not...

In that kind of situation is hardly to believe the trauma team pop from nowhere and repair your body.... Death is death the best manner for the trauma team to be implemented is calling them when the fight is over and you are wounded or out from the line of fine... but you must be alive...

Dead is dead..

Context should be important. And as Trolly said, make the accounts expensive.

I suggest variable cover plans with sliding premiums based on usage, like insurance. Faster response times and mote firepower should cost more, (and don't forget the ammo expenses on top of the callout fee.) And the more you use the service, your premium should increase, (maybe of you have it and don't use it you could get discounts on renewal fees?)

I'm fine with TT as long as they give me my quick save that I can rape. And absolutely no way when I load do I wanna spawn in hospital or safehouse if I just prior quick saved in different location.

Ok this just popped in my head and it includes lots of ifs. What if trauma team would mostly affect how your companions work in battle? Depending if you have contract with trauma team your fallen companions would be back in action after enemies are dead or they would go to hospital and maybe be available for next mission. If you didn't have contract you fallen comrades would be dead and gone.
This would maybe add bit more difficulty with your expenses and trying to keep everyone alive (if you'd want).

I'm hoping we will have access to 'first aid' as well, but extracting fallen buddies via TT or Meatwagon would be much better than finding a new one. You never know, they may come back with replacement limbs and stuff, (after the bill is paid...)

Permadeath, no reload. Have to create new character. And MMO, so no, no saving.

Are you thick in the head or something? This game is not going to be an MMO.. That much is already been confirmed.. And you have been told that several times now..

To everyone trying to express the realistic validity of using clones or mind uploads/copies as a continue or whatever: it makes sense as a person playing their character, but for the kind of "I am my character" immersion, this doesn't seem valid. What I mean by this is, how would your consciousness be transferred to the copy? Not to say that it isn't possible, but right now, I just don't see the plausibility.

(I just thought of this...) Maybe if streaming consciousness directly from a dying body into a copy was possible. Like in Cyberpunk perspective, the med team rushes over to your dying body with a new body/mind case and jacks you in and transfers your consciousness. Even so, this is getting too far out to have a cyberpunk feel isn't it? IE, it might be too far outside the realm of what we currently perceive as a possible reality and disenchant the cyberpunk ambiance.

Top Bottom