Character Romance Discussion

+
Depends a LOT on how it's implemented.

I'd want a romance require more then a few optional dialog selections.
It'd be nice if it has some effect on the game (even it it's only the "Well Rested" vs "Rested" bonus used in Skyrim).
There needs to be more then one person you can romance, a single personality will not appeal to everyone.
These days gender optional romance seems almost mandatory.

Of course. It's the future we're talking about. Im pretty sure IRL by then, being gay will be nothing more than just that, being gay.

Definitely!, but what i meant was that it might be left out because of intolerant people IRL today
and not just lesbian stuff(Knowing CDPR) but also mano-y-mano that make trolls have hissyfitts

If you have to do it, do it like the Triss' arc in W2. The player didn't have to go through some elaborate stalking minigame, figuring out complex dialogue trees to receive the "reward". Instead, the relationship was organically there from the beginning and thus the gamifaction of the whole thing was vastly reduced. It became part of the plot, rather than another achievement peg.
But I chose the cute doctor from Witcher 1 and suddenly I was with the scheming sorceress :( Plus if we create the character from the scratch, I don't think there should be set reletionship already.

Just don't make it like Skyrim that was totally pointless. I kinda liked my relationship with Liara in Mass Effect. Even though half the crew was trying to bed me in 3rd game for some reason o_O

*SPOILER* Dragon Age 2.... if anyone cares :D *SPOILER*

I think they definately should be in game but optional. Also I liked in Dragon Age 2 I had something going on with that slutty pirate chick. And when she ended up betraying me I was rather torn between saving her or let Qunari take her. No one betrays me and lives so I let Qunari take here. Or at least this is how I remember it... my memories of that game are quite foggy.. except that ONE dungeon :D Ok sorry got bit sidetracked here :)

I actually like the Bioware romances. Something like that would be cool in Cyberpunk. Of course I wouldn't mind more depth and maybe more complex relationships (which would also be cool for non-romances). It just shouldn't be over simplified. Try to create realistic, layered characters and that should make for a very interesting experience ;)

Hm, romance, I think I've commented on this post before. Anyway, romance in a game is fine, especially in an RPG. The trick is doing it right. Very few games have been able to implement romance correctly. If they do chose to add romance (which I'm guessing they'll do). They have to consider a few things.

First of all, make it available for both genders! I'm sorry but I don't need to see my character having a relationship with another female character, of course I'm not saying that having man-on-man and woman-on-woman is a problem, in fact if they do decide to include romance they should make sure they have gay relationships included too.

Second all, make it count, there should be a reason behind it. It has to work together with the plot. Your enemies should know you are in a relationship and take advantage of it, it should help character development, if romance is in there just in there for the sake of being in there, there's no point.

Third, I should be able to have the option, it should not be forced on to me.

Lastly, don't overdo it! Please, we don't need another romance/dating simulator like in Mass Effect. Here:
227 said:
Romance/relationships in general should exist for larger story-related reasons. If nothing else, that sappy, romance-existing-to-make-fans-feel-warm-and-tingly stuff should be avoided at all costs because it seems to draw out that weird "Mass Effect blue babies" side of people.
(Couldn't have explained it better, thanks 227.)

First of all, make it available for both genders! I'm sorry but I don't need to see my character having a relationship with another female character, of course I'm not saying that having man-on-man and woman-on-woman is a problem, in fact if they do decide to include romance they should make sure they have gay relationships included too.

[...]

Third, I should be able to have the option, it should not be forced on to me.

signed.

Second all, make it count, there should be a reason behind it. It has to work together with the plot. Your enemies should know you are in a relationship and take advantage of it, it should help character development, if romance is in there just in there for the sake of being in there, there's no point.

That's optional imho but it would be quite cool ;) However I think that makes it very difficult for the devs since they would have to build a ridiculously high amount of alternative events of which most people would only see a minimum.

signed.

That's optional imho but it would be quite cool ;) However I think that makes it very difficult for the devs since they would have to build a ridiculously high amount of alternative events of which most people would only see a minimum.

True, it would be a challenge, but a good romance system is always difficult to pull of correctly. However having a system where your enemies take advantage of your relationship would be very fun and interesting and I'm very curious to know what CDPR is going to give us, I'm sure it'l be good though.

In the main story, maybe, more on yes. If as a 'sub plot' then should be done well, and not mediocre. And since people are dragging bioware here which everyone loves to, romance in ME1 was dry, DAO was decent, DA2 crap, ME2 was also somewhat okay, in 3 depends on the character but overall bad.
Don't settle for mediocrity. Either do it well or don't do it at all. The romance in both TW was great in the story without having a separate subplot or as such.

Besides more sex scenes :p

In the main story, maybe, more on yes. If as a 'sub plot' then should be done well, and not mediocre. And since people are dragging bioware here which everyone loves to, romance in ME1 was dry, DAO was decent, DA2 crap, ME2 was also somewhat okay, in 3 depends on the character but overall bad.
Don't settle for mediocrity. Either do it well or don't do it at all. The romance in both TW was great in the story without having a separate subplot or as such.

Agreed

really? why do you think bioware romances are better, what do you like about them? i'm honestly curious because i don't like them at all but there seems to ne a huge fandom so maybe i'm missing something.. oh and btw i don't think it's mandatory for a good romance to meet the person for the first time, your character and the other one could have had some sort of relationship in the past.. that would be interesting

That would be interesting, and I am not against that at all. What I am simply replying to is the notion that one scene that establishes that there is a relationship between two people and a scene where you can watch a movie is better than an actual interactive romance. The best possible romances from BioWare that I have seen is from Viconia from Baldur's Gate 2 and Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins. The thing that stands out is the character progression. There is actual character development and that is the main thing that attracts me to the romance in those BioWare games. I am all about characters more so than the story. I am not saying the WAY they go about doing it is the best or that all BioWare romances are the best. What I am saying is, in terms of character romance, they know how to tell a story, at least in those two cases of Viconia and Morrigan, that is actually compelling and the player feels like they are involved with that progression. More so than just watching a scene play out like in the Darkness. Does that make sense?

That's exactly how I want it done, characters with their own motivations and lives outside of sucking the PC's dick.

That is fine, I am talking about the execution. Geralt by nature is not a good example of boyfriend material, he can't love someone or at least will not admit that he does yet he leads Triss around who is obsessed with him and loves him anyway and all that Gary Stu shit. In the Witcher 1 you could decide if you wanted to romance one of two woman. That in itself is fine, but then you can go around sleeping with women and collect cards like it's Pokemon with no consequences and no shame. That tells me, as a player, that Geralt does not really give a shit about the two women he can possibly have a relationship with, which then tells me that these are not romances, because feelings are not reciprocated.

In the Witcher 2 it's more of the same thing. Geralt does not admit he has feelings for Triss, he can sleep around with as many women as he would like, and Triss will continue to follow him and love him forever and ever because reasons. That is again, not a romance.

^ Well, yeah, but who said we should get some typical, Love Boat romance thingie?

I, for one, prefer to experience complicated relationships in games, those "not so easy" ones...makes everything more interesting and my character conflicted, instead of just turning NPC into some kind of persistence test, click through enough dialogue options and eventually everyone will give it up...just because you're the PC!!!

^ Well, yeah, but who said we should get some typical, Love Boat romance thingie?

No one ... not even me.

I, for one, prefer to experience complicated relationships in games, those "not so easy" ones...makes everything more interesting and my character conflicted, instead of just turning NPC into some kind of persistence test, click through enough dialogue options and eventually everyone will give it up...just because you're the PC!!!

Uhhh ... yeah, like how it was in the Viconia and Morrigan romance. It ends with them rejecting you. Or if you include the expansion, with Viconia dying.

Agree 100%

It'd be cool if the people we romance are actually useful

like we could call them up and they'd get the car that's parked in your safehouse and bring it to you or they could be Netrunner.

Not just someone who stays at home and waits for you,They tell you what they actually did while you were gone and sometimes they won't be there but they're off doing something else. In VTMB Heather earns some money for you and delivers you a meal if you're nice to her which is cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Q98oCaYPc

... In the Witcher 1 you could decide if you wanted to romance one of two woman. That in itself is fine, but then you can go around sleeping with women and collect cards like it's Pokemon with no consequences and no shame. That tells me, as a player, that Geralt does not really give a shit about the two women he can possibly have a relationship with, which then tells me that these are not romances, because feelings are not reciprocated.

In the Witcher 2 it's more of the same thing. Geralt does not admit he has feelings for Triss, he can sleep around with as many women as he would like, and Triss will continue to follow him and love him forever and ever because reasons. That is again, not a romance.

...but it's the player's choice to cheat on Triss (or Shani in TW1). Basically you choose if Geralt truly loves Triss or not...or are you advocating for some sort of fallout scene with Triss if Geralt keeps seeing other women ?

Feelings schmeelings, bring on the whores....

No, actually I dig the idea of romance choices... as long as none of them are mandatory, and as long as they exist for both genders and sexual orientations. I love me some women, but this is going to come out in 2015, and if something like this is in the game, it should be inclusive to all.

Top Bottom